PDA

View Full Version : Hendry sits on his ass for a month to pull this off?

santo=dorf
01-11-2005, 12:04 AM
I can't believe nobody has talked about the major move the Cubs made today. Did they actually expect to improve their crappy bullpen by getting this guy? :?:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=7113&context=pitching

The Cubs traded a PTBNL for a guy who has more walks than strikeouts, with a career WHIP of 1.70? :dunno:

Flight #24
01-11-2005, 12:05 AM
I can't believe nobody has talked about the major move the Cubs made today. Did they actually expect to improve their crappy bullpen by getting this guy? :?:

The Cubs traded a PTBNL for a guy who has more walks than strikeouts, with a career WHIP of 1.70? :dunno:
Any guesses about what makes the Trib Sports front page?

santo=dorf
01-11-2005, 12:09 AM
I'm loving rotoworld's take on it:

Cubs acquired LHP Stephen Randolph from the Diamondbacks for a player to be named.
Terribly pointless. Randolph throws hard, but he has no command and no breaking pitch to dominate lefties. The Cubs couldn't find room on their 40-man roster for Andy Sisco and Luke Hagerty, but they do have space for three borderline lefty relievers in Will Ohman, John Koronka and Randolph. Ohman is the only one likely to help them.
:rolling:

gosox41
01-11-2005, 09:04 AM

This is a nothing move. And Hendry hasn't done much lately, but this Cub team still worries me. They're division is that much weaker right now and I bet Wood and Prior are healthy all season.

Bob

TDog
01-11-2005, 11:43 AM
...but this Cub team still worries me. They're division is that much weaker right now ....
Houston is weaker. I don't know that the division is much weaker.

Baby Fisk
01-11-2005, 11:54 AM
Sounds like a lefty Kyle Farnsworth.

SOXintheBURGH
01-11-2005, 12:02 PM
This is a nothing move. And Hendry hasn't done much lately, but this Cub team still worries me. They're division is that much weaker right now and I bet Wood and Prior are healthy all season.

Bob
St. Louis is still in the NL Central right?

gosox41
01-11-2005, 12:04 PM
Houston is weaker. I don't know that the division is much weaker.
The true contenders are weaker. St. Louis lost Matheny, Williams and Renteria. Mulder better then Williams, but they need Morris to recover back to his normal self after shoulder surgery. They overpaid for Cabrera.

It's good to see the Brewers and Reds get better, but IMHO they're not true contenders as of this date (unless they make a move or other teams suffer an injury). They can beat up more on the Cub but they can do the same to Stl. and Houston so it evens out.

Bob

Flight #24
01-11-2005, 12:10 PM
The true contenders are weaker. St. Louis lost Matheny, Williams and Renteria. Mulder better then Williams, but they need Morris to recover back to his normal self after shoulder surgery. They overpaid for Cabrera.

It's good to see the Brewers and Reds get better, but IMHO they're not true contenders as of this date (unless they make a move or other teams suffer an injury). They can beat up more on the Cub but they can do the same to Stl. and Houston so it evens out.

Bob
I assume you're referring to Eckstein, not Cabrera.

I think their pitching is improved with the addition of Mulder. And while their offense is worse, they get a full season (or his approximation) from Walker, and still have Edmonds, Rolen, Pujols and to a lesser extent, Sanders. Their O was significantly better than the Cubs last year, so now it might just be a lot better. Cub starting pitching is obviously better, but that gap has been reduced with the addition of Mulder and the Cub swap from Clement to Rusch. Cards still have a better bullpen, and overall would have to much better than the Cubs, even before the chemistry factors come into play.

Ol' No. 2
01-11-2005, 12:14 PM
St. Louis is still in the NL Central right?If you read the Cubune today they make it sound like the Cards will be lucky to avoid last place.

SOXintheBURGH
01-11-2005, 12:19 PM
If you read the Cubune today they make it sound like the Cards will be lucky to avoid last place.
I don't get the Cubune, I'll look online for it though.

Ol' No. 2
01-11-2005, 01:16 PM
I don't get the Cubune, I'll look online for it though.Here's a hint. The headline reads:

Quiet Cubs watch enemies lose big

So I guess Cubs fans should all be overjoyed Hendry has been sitting on his hands.

Baby Fisk
01-11-2005, 01:19 PM
So I guess Cubs fans should all be overjoyed Hendry has been sitting on his hands.

He's so far under the radar as to be missing altogether. Can't wait to hear the delusional WS predictions (do they ever really abate from year to year?) :cool:

soxfan26
01-11-2005, 01:25 PM

Bob
If Prior and Wood combine for 65 starts this season, I'll buy you a case of beer.

santo=dorf
01-11-2005, 01:30 PM

Bob
Would you consider the Roberto Alomar trade part II a "nothing" move? Why are people still complaining about it? I can only imagine the flack KW would get if he traded for this guy and lost TWO pitching prospects in the rule 5 draft.

HomeFish
01-11-2005, 01:41 PM
That headline certainly rings true; the accursed ones have lost by far the least out of all of the contending NL Central year.

I think the only thing we can hope for to avoid a nightmare World Series berth is for the Mets to pull a 1969.

santo=dorf
01-11-2005, 01:48 PM
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/bschalle/www/poll.bmp

Morons. :rolleyes: Blanco? Randolph?

Clement's beard
01-11-2005, 01:52 PM
Hendry has not improved the team at all. He has signed Walker and Garciaparra, which are good moves but they had them last year. I do think that Hendry is not done dealing and will eventually find a team to hose.

Ol' No. 2
01-11-2005, 02:01 PM
That headline certainly rings true; the accursed ones have lost by far the least out of all of the contending NL Central year.

I think the only thing we can hope for to avoid a nightmare World Series berth is for the Mets to pull a 1969.They've lost the least, but they've made no moves to replace them. The Cards lost Renteria and Williams, but gained Ekstein and Mulder. I call that a net gain. They haven't replaced Matheney but Molina seems capable and I've always liked Diaz. Meanwhile, the Cubs lost their best OF and one of their more consistent starters and have filled neither hole. And the have done NOTHING about their bullpen.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-11-2005, 02:13 PM
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/bschalle/www/poll.bmp

Morons. :rolleyes: Blanco? Randolph?
The fact that hendry got 21% puzzles me. Is there 144 Cub morons that just can't handle the truth? Am I seriously asking that question?

doublem23
01-11-2005, 02:33 PM
It's a big assumption that Kerry Wood and Mark Prior will be healthy all season as long as the pitching decisions are ultimately in the hands of Dusty Baker.

doublem23
01-11-2005, 02:34 PM

I think the only thing we can hope for to avoid a nightmare World Series berth is for the Mets to pull a 1969.
Things around here been a little too chipper for you lately?

:rolleyes:

WhiteSoxFan84
01-11-2005, 02:53 PM
Even if Wood and Prior are 100%, there's a few things we can't forget about...

1) Glendon Rusch is their # 5. Last year was the biggest fluke season I've seen in a while. You guys do realize he was 1-12, 6.42 in 2003 and in his career he is a 48-78 pitcher with an ERA barely under 5.00?

2) Ryan Dempster is their projected closer. Last year, he was decent. Don't jump on this and say he was GOOD, because he WASN'T. Yes, he was 1-1 with a 3.92 ERA, but he gave up 16 hits and 13 walks in just 20 IP! A WHIP of 1.40 for a closer? No good. And how did he do in 2003? 3-7, 6.54 ERA. Career; 51-56, 4.99 ERA, 1.56 WHIP.

3) Their outfield will more than likely look like this; Hollandsworth in left, Patterson in center, and Sosa in right. Hollandsworth will certainly not put up the same numbers are Alou did last year. This is a definate downgrade and another harm to the North Sider's chances.

In conclusion, the Cubs have lost; Moises Alou, Matt Clement, Mark Grudzielanek, Kent Mercker, Paul Bako, and Carlos Beltran. I know they never had him, but every ESPN analyst, every Cub fan, every moron with an opinion had him playing in Wrigley this year.

They gained; Henry Blanco.

Are you telling me a full season (MAYBE) of Mark Prior and Kerry Wood will even out the losses of 4 key players, Maddux's sidekick, and the best hitter on the market? If you believe that, I have a house to sell you in Iraq.

DumpJerry
01-11-2005, 03:04 PM
Flubs have Rusty Dusty, Cards have LaRussa. Flubs have Scammy, Cards don't. If the Flubs manage to trade Scammy, they will someone who is not too impressive, the Cards will not lose anyone in the trade.

The Cards will repeat the Division. The NL will be represented in the playoffs by four of the following five teams: Cards, Mets, Braves, Dodgers and Giants. Since the Cards are the division champs, the Flubs lose out to the others for the Wild Card. Poor babies. The AL representation will from among: Sox, Sox, Yanks, A's (barely), Twins and Angels. AL is obviously more competitive.

gosox41
01-11-2005, 03:07 PM
Would you consider the Roberto Alomar trade part II a "nothing" move? Why are people still complaining about it? I can only imagine the flack KW would get if he traded for this guy and lost TWO pitching prospects in the rule 5 draft.

I don't remember ever commenting about the Roberto Alomar move. I was referring to Hendry's move being a nothing move, which it is.

And while I don't want the Sox to lose any prospects, it says a lot about their system that they lost 2 pitchers.

Bob

santo=dorf
01-11-2005, 03:11 PM
And while I don't want the Sox to lose any prospects, it says a lot about their system that they lost 2 pitchers.

Bob
LOL.

Sisco was still in A ball when he was drafted. So what does that say about the development of their pitchers in the minor leagues? Will Corey Patterson be the first Cubs positional player to make an impact in the major leagues since Mark Grace? :rolleyes:

DrCrawdad
01-11-2005, 03:17 PM
Here's a hint. The headline reads:

Quiet Cubs watch enemies lose big

It's good to be king.

That story and headline is worthy of VineLine. Oh well we are talking about the Cubune and in essence there is not much difference between the Cubune and VineLine.

RichFitztightly
01-11-2005, 03:56 PM
2) Ryan Dempster is their projected closer. Last year, he was decent. Don't jump on this and say he was GOOD, because he WASN'T. Yes, he was 1-1 with a 3.92 ERA, but he gave up 16 hits and 13 walks in just 20 IP! A WHIP of 1.40 for a closer? No good. And how did he do in 2003? 3-7, 6.54 ERA. Career; 51-56, 4.99 ERA, 1.56 WHIP.

I agree with you on all accounts. Even this one... sorta. If you look at the stats and take their face value, then yes, he did suck. However, you must take into consideration that he was recovering from major surgery last year. And came back in about two-thirds the time it usually takes somebody to recover from his injury. Now, I don't know whether or not he'll be good or not, but what he did last year was pretty impressive, all injuries considered.

SOXSINCE'70
01-11-2005, 04:00 PM
They're division is that much weaker right now and I bet Wood and Prior are healthy all season.Bob
What about the Cardinals acquiring Mark Mulder and signing FA
David Eckstein??They look like the sCrUBS main competition in the
division so far.:?: :?:

basilesox
01-11-2005, 05:16 PM

Bob

St. Louis is definitely not weaker with the addition of Mulder to what quite possibly could be the best lineup in baseball.

basilesox
01-11-2005, 05:20 PM
I agree with you on all accounts. Even this one... sorta. If you look at the stats and take their face value, then yes, he did suck. However, you must take into consideration that he was recovering from major surgery last year. And came back in about two-thirds the time it usually takes somebody to recover from his injury. Now, I don't know whether or not he'll be good or not, but what he did last year was pretty impressive, all injuries considered.

Wow I didnt know that.........Dempster the closer. I would think that they would stick with Hawkins before they were desperate enought to switch to Dempster.

I know Hawkins has a history of choking in the closers role.....but he definitely has the best stuff out of anybody in the Cubs pen.... And I seem to remember some other closers (e.g Keith Foulke, Armando Benitez) recovering after a rough year to have a quite impressive years.

Unregistered
01-11-2005, 05:25 PM
STOP THE PRESSES!

Hendry signs shortstop Cody Ransom to a minor-league deal!!!! :D:

Offseason Grade?
A+

Can't wait to see the praise this gets from the Trib...

MUsoxfan
01-11-2005, 05:34 PM
STOP THE PRESSES!

Hendry signs shortstop Cody Ransom to a minor-league deal!!!! :D:

Offseason Grade?
A+

Can't wait to see the praise this gets from the Trib...
You're gonna have to slow down....you're giving me too many great signings to digest at one time

bhayes520
01-11-2005, 05:37 PM
CODY RANSOM

GP AB R H2B 3BHRRBIBBSOSBCSBAOBPSLGOPSCAREER1141052325702 13 8 37 22.238.298.362.660

2004 Season
Whatever good Cody Ransom did during the season evaporated with a costly error in the next-to-last game in Los Angeles. With one out, Ransom booted Cesar Izturis' bases-loaded grounder, cutting the Giants' lead to 3-2 in the ninth. The Dodgers won the game on Steve Finley's grand slam, clinching the NL West title. The Giants were eliminated from the wild-card race the next day.

Damn, this kid might be the second coming of Alex Gonzalez.

basilesox
01-11-2005, 05:48 PM
The fact that hendry got 21% puzzles me. Is there 144 Cub morons that just can't handle the truth? Am I seriously asking that question?

I am actually surprised that the Hendry doesn't have more of the vote......there are alot more than 144 Cub fan morons out there......I guess they just haven't visited Chicagosports.com lately.

bhayes520
01-11-2005, 06:00 PM
still at 21-79, but the cubs moron club has risen to 425 out of 2039 votes.....i guess that the reasonable chicago fan has cancelled them all out

What GM did the most to improve his team in the off-season?

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/images/standard/red.gif 20.8%
Jim Hendry (425 responses)

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/images/standard/red.gif 79.2%
Ken Williams (1614 responses)

2039 total responses

Risk
01-11-2005, 06:02 PM
It's good to be king.

That story and headline is worthy of VineLine. Oh well we are talking about the Cubune and in essence there is not much difference between the Cubune and VineLine.
Cubune=TASS/Pravda for the Chicago National League Ballclub

Risk