PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Carlos Beltran Fan Club Thread

RKMeibalane
01-10-2005, 07:52 PM
This is the *Official* Carlos Beltran Fan Club Thread. It has been created in order to serve as a discussion thread for any and all things Carlos Beltran-related. In light of Randy Johnson's tirade, I am officially jumping on the Carlos Beltran bandwagon, and I encourage any and all other individuals interested in following suit to reply this thread. Thank you.

SomebodyToldMe
01-10-2005, 08:07 PM
I like Beltran...Except when he murdered us when he was with KC. I, as well as pretty much all Sox fans, knew how much talent this guy had because I saw him all the time. And now everyone is on the Beltran Band Wagon. I like the guy. But he's a met...So it's sorta like he's destined to fall off the face of the Baseball World. Piazza sounds like the only exception.

And Keith Hernandez...Any guy that can make the Sein himself smitten, is a-ok in my book.

This post made no sense...

samram
01-10-2005, 08:12 PM
I hope he doesn't fall of the face of the baseball planet. The Mets really need someone to counterbalance (to whatever small extent) the attention usually given to the Yanks. I also wish we had a chance to watch a guy with that much all around talent everyday.

HoustonAstros967
01-10-2005, 08:22 PM
Carlos Beltran was a lowely .260 hitter last season untill he got hot in the postseason. His stats are not in the least bit eye popping and defense is the only real big threat hes shown. He is inconsistant and highly over-rated. $117 million for the over-rated player anyone, anyone, yes the team in the back stupid enough to pay, o yeah the Mets

SomebodyToldMe
01-10-2005, 08:41 PM
Carlos Beltran was a lowely .260 hitter last season untill he got hot in the postseason. His stats are not in the least bit eye popping and defense is the only real big threat hes shown. He is inconsistant and highly over-rated. $117 million for the over-rated player anyone, anyone, yes the team in the back stupid enough to pay, o yeah the Mets
Just wondering, if he stayed with you the Stros, would you be saying this?

RKMeibalane
01-10-2005, 08:44 PM
This sounds like sour grapes to me.

OEO Magglio
01-10-2005, 08:46 PM
I agree that he is probably a bit angry and he has a right to be because Beltran basically screwed the 'stros for this season, however he does have a point that Carlos is being overpaid and I totally agree with that point.

RKMeibalane
01-10-2005, 08:50 PM
I agree that he is probably a bit angry and he has a right to be because Beltran basically screwed the 'stros for this season, however he does have a point that Carlos is being overpaid and I totally agree with that point.
I agree that the Mets overpaid. There's no way Beltran is worth that much money. Again, however, it is extremely difficult to sign good players without overpaying. If the Mets hadn't offered Beltran what they did, they would not have been able to get him.

OEO Magglio
01-10-2005, 08:51 PM
I agree that the Mets overpaid. There's no way Beltran is worth that much money. Again, however, it is extremely difficult to sign good players without overpaying. If the Mets hadn't offered Beltran what they did, they would not have been able to get him.
Very true and I completely agree.

beckett21
01-10-2005, 08:56 PM
Kind of like the things being said about Magglio around here these days.

:duck:

Unregistered
01-10-2005, 09:03 PM

:duck: Err... not quite. Imagine what this board would look like if KW offered arbitration, or if Maggs signed that huge deal before he went down for possibly 2 (1 1/2) seasons? You think people would be talking about how great Maggs is? Hell no, they'd be calling for KW's ass or even worse, talking about how we truly are cursed. No sour grapes here - if anything, sighs of relief.

RKMeibalane
01-10-2005, 09:03 PM

:duck: You've done it, now. The members of the "I Hate Maggs' Society" will be all over you.

beckett21
01-10-2005, 09:09 PM
Err... not quite. Imagine what this board would look like if KW offered arbitration, or if Maggs signed that huge deal before he went down for possibly 2 (1 1/2) seasons? You think people would be talking about how great Maggs is? Hell no, they'd be calling for KW's ass or even worse, talking about how we truly are cursed. No sour grapes here - if anything, sighs of relief.

I agree with you on that point. For the most part, that is the general consensus.

There are still some who won't let it go though. That is what I was referring to.

Tragg
01-10-2005, 09:10 PM
For years owner McClain complained about the attendance. The Astro fans awarded Dreighton McClain with humongeous attendance - over 3 mill I think. He still won't sign Beltran, despite the obvious effect he had on their team last year---it could also mean no Roger.

I'd be furious if I were an Astros fan

JUribe1989
01-10-2005, 10:39 PM
Letterman: This move puts the Mets in competition with the Yankees as far as overpaying dissapointments goes.

Letterman: This also puts the Mets in the playoff race 'till at least May, wouldn't ya think?

Flight #24
01-10-2005, 11:04 PM

:duck:Oh c'mon now Beckett....I'm not for a second on the side of wishing further ill on Maggs, but there's a huge difference between his actions towards the Sox and Beltran's towards the 'Stros. Maggs actions pre-Boras towards the Sox are a good comparison, but the whole "I'm healthy.....but I won't let you look until after the arb deadline......there, it passed, now I'll talk about how much I wished you'd offered me arb and badmouth the org" thing was what left a sour taste in my mouth, not the "I want as much $$$ as I can get" - that's pretty much expected.

And the "sigh of relief" comment above is 100% appropriate.

beckett21
01-11-2005, 09:49 AM
Oh c'mon now Beckett....I'm not for a second on the side of wishing further ill on Maggs, but there's a huge difference between his actions towards the Sox and Beltran's towards the 'Stros. Maggs actions pre-Boras towards the Sox are a good comparison, but the whole "I'm healthy.....but I won't let you look until after the arb deadline......there, it passed, now I'll talk about how much I wished you'd offered me arb and badmouth the org" thing was what left a sour taste in my mouth, not the "I want as much $$$ as I can get" - that's pretty much expected.

And the "sigh of relief" comment above is 100% appropriate. Ok then. Fair enough. Pre-injury there were plenty of sour grapes as well. That is a more accurate assessment. To say that there were no *sour grapes* around here after Maggs declined the original extension would be less than accurate. My contention has always sided with the player and his right to do what is best for him and his family. If you want to continue to defend the deep pocket interests, feel free to do so.

Do I think he deserved *Vlad money?* Definitely not, even 100% healthy. I wouldn't have given him what he wanted either; I have absolutely no qualms with the White Sox on this one. But it was his right to seek the best deal. Would you do the same job for less money if you had a choice? I didn't think so.

There are still a few misguided posts in the roadhouse wishing ill will on Magglio. However, I will say that those are not a reflection of this site as a whole. Just a few malcontents who can't let the situation go. They have been banished to the roadhouse where they belong.

To say there were never any sour grapes about Magglio would just be flat out wrong IMO. :anon:

Flight #24
01-11-2005, 09:56 AM
Ok then. Fair enough. Pre-injury there were plenty of sour grapes as well. That is a more accurate assessment. To say that there were no *sour grapes* around here after Maggs declined the original extension would be less than accurate. My contention has always sided with the player and his right to do what is best for him and his family. If you want to continue to defend the deep pocket interests, feel free to do so.

Do I think he deserved *Vlad money?* Definitely not, even 100% healthy. I wouldn't have given him what he wanted either; I have absolutely no qualms with the White Sox on this one. But it was his right to seek the best deal. Would you do the same job for less money if you had a choice? I didn't think so.

There are still a few misguided posts in the roadhouse wishing ill will on Magglio. However, I will say that those are not a reflection of this site as a whole. Just a few malcontents who can't let the situation go. They have been banished to the roadhouse where they belong.

To say there were never any sour grapes about Magglio would just be flat out wrong IMO. :anon:
You are correct sir. There were certainly sour grapes about Maggs declining the Sox offer, as was his right. And given what the market's done, he might have made more $$$ had he stayed healthy. Those are a great parallel to Maggs. But now. IMO, it seems more colored by his actions post-Boras.

beckett21
01-11-2005, 09:59 AM
You are correct sir. There were certainly sour grapes about Maggs declining the Sox offer, as was his right. And given what the market's done, he might have made more $$$ had he stayed healthy. Those are a great parallel to Maggs. But now. IMO, it seems more colored by his actions post-Boras.
So I guess we actually agree. :smile:

I won't defend the post-Boras Magglio. But I won't wish for his career to be over either. Live and let live.

Irishsox1
01-11-2005, 10:37 AM
If Beltran is playing center, what about Mike Cameron? Is he going to stay in center, or is Beltran going there?

WinningUgly!
01-11-2005, 11:28 AM
If Beltran is playing center, what about Mike Cameron? Is he going to stay in center, or is Beltran going there?
If the Mets keep Cameron, he'll be in RF. There have been rumors that the D-Backs & A's are interested in dealing for him.

News that the New York Mets are on the verge of signing center fielder Carlos Beltran to a seven-year, $119 million contract could also affect Arizona. The D-Backs have interest in the Mets' current center fielder, Mike Cameron, who has two years and about $15 million remaining on his three-year, $19 million deal. Cameron hit 30 homers last season but could miss the first month of the season following wrist surgery.

The Oakland A's, who reportedly also covet Cameron, could be looking to move their center fielder, Eric Byrnes, another player who has caught Arizona's eye.
Linky (http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=34492)

RKMeibalane
01-11-2005, 12:34 PM
It begins...

http://www.newsday.com/media/thumbnails/story/2005-01/15804962.jpg

Unregistered
01-11-2005, 12:47 PM

A clause in Beltran's contract states that he can wear a suit and tie under his uniform whenever he wants. "I feel like Clark Kent," Beltran told reporters. "Except with more money."

RKMeibalane
01-11-2005, 01:29 PM
The mods need to tag this image so that as the season goes on, we can have him talk and do things.

RKMeibalane
01-11-2005, 08:45 PM
What happened to the picture of Beltran? Was it removed?

beckett21
01-11-2005, 08:47 PM
What happened to the picture of Beltran? Was it removed?
Scott Boras now owns the right to that picture and everything else Beltran. The site couldn't afford the royalty fees to keep it posted so Boras had it removed.

:redneck

RKMeibalane
01-11-2005, 08:52 PM
Meet the Mets! Meet the Mets! Step right up and greet the Mets!