PDA

View Full Version : Your earliest or most obscure Sox memory

veeter
01-10-2005, 04:05 PM
I can still picture little Luis Alvarado hitting an inside the park homerun at old Comiskey. It was probably '72 or '73. He wore #1 with the red pinstripes and he was a light hitting infielder who could fly. I remember covering my ears because the crowd got so loud. I was 5 or 6 years old. Oh yeah, I was in the upper deck on the third base side.

MUsoxfan
01-10-2005, 04:14 PM
I remember watching Dan Pasqua hit a bomb to right field. It was the first homerun I recall seeing at the new park. I was probably in 5th grade at the time.

Malgar 12
01-10-2005, 04:20 PM
Sitting in the basement with my old man, in Edmonton Alberta, watching the Sox play the Yankees on a small black and white TV. Must've been '77 or '78. Pre cable, in Canada, it was a rare occurence to see a Sox game on TV. I was 2 or 3 years old at the time.

kjhanson
01-10-2005, 04:21 PM
Went to 10 game in '93 as an eight year-old. My most vivid memory was a rain delay game against the A's. We stayed for a couple of hours and finally they continued playing. The Sox won in the bottom of the 9th, and as I stood on my chair celebrating, it kinda collapsed on me and I fell through. Besides for that moment, I'll never forget Bo Jackson's division winning home run late in the season. Classic.

TommyJohn
01-10-2005, 04:22 PM
I can still picture little Luis Alvarado hitting an inside the park homerun at old Comiskey. It was probably '72 or '73. He wore #1 with the red pinstripes and he was a light hitting infielder who could fly. I remember covering my ears because the crowd got so loud. I was 5 or 6 years old. Oh yeah, I was in the upper deck on the third base side.

My first game was in 1973. I was four at the time. It was an overcast weekend day game against the Yankees. I can remember Dick Allen swinging and getting a big hit. The crowd leaped to it's feet and roared, which scared the hell out of me. It may have been a home run, I seem to remember crying at a loud noise, it might've been the scoreboard going off. I can also remember seeing the umpire at home plate and wondering why he was wearing a suit. Unfortunately, my father never saved the ticket stubs, so I have no idea when this game actually took place.

Chrisaway
01-10-2005, 04:23 PM
Leaving my first game at the New Comiskey and walking past the remnants of old comiskey. I picked up a piece of brick from the wreckage. I still have it to this day.

mike squires
01-10-2005, 04:30 PM
I remember seeing sme news coverage of snow in the seats at Old Comiskey. It might have been opening day and snowed out. remember going to my Grandmas house after fishing with my Dad and hearing Harry singing "Take Me out To the allgame" at Comiskey.

Soxzilla
01-10-2005, 04:42 PM
Frank Thomas stealing a bag against the Oakland Athletics during one of mah first games at the New Park (Then again, I never went to the old park:)).

dickallen15
01-10-2005, 04:43 PM
My very first game in 1969. I was a little shaver and it was helmet day. my dad and I were sitting on the first base side of the upper deck in the front row, and my dad caught a foul ball, and promptly gave it to me. I was hooked.

ewokpelts
01-10-2005, 04:49 PM
1986...first game...we got little ear radios with the sox and wmaq logos on it....

Gene

34 Inch Stick
01-10-2005, 04:53 PM
It had to be sometime in the late 70's. I was under 10 years old. I remember sitting down the third base line during a Tiger game. The crowd was absolutely raucous. Ed Farmer hit a batter and got his face beat in. The crowd was out for blood and I absolutely loved it. I think my parents took me home before the game ended because it was getting ugly.

ja1022
01-10-2005, 04:59 PM
My Dad took me to my first game in '69 against Oakland. I was seven and had become a fan earlier that year. All I remember is that Pete Ward hit a pinch hit home run to win it in the bottom of the ninth. I didn't see it. I just remember everybody jumping to their feet and the fireworks. My Dad had to explain it to me.

Uribe=MVP
01-10-2005, 05:06 PM
Mine would have to be watching them clinch the division in 93 with my dad, before my White Sox fervor had reached the fevered pitch that it has been at since 97. (I am only 18, after all)

Ol' No. 2
01-10-2005, 05:10 PM
I'm probably one of the few people here who saw Ted Williams play. He was well past his prime, and I really had no idea who he was, but I could tell by the tone of my Dad's voice when he said "That's Ted Williams" that he was someone special.

ja1022
01-10-2005, 05:15 PM
I'm probably one of the few people here who saw Ted Williams play.
Damn, your old.

Ol' No. 2
01-10-2005, 05:25 PM
Damn, your old.Tell me about it.

TommyJohn
01-10-2005, 05:29 PM
It had to be sometime in the late 70's. I was under 10 years old. I remember sitting down the third base line during a Tiger game. The crowd was absolutely raucous. Ed Farmer hit a batter and got his face beat in. The crowd was out for blood and I absolutely loved it. I think my parents took me home before the game ended because it was getting ugly.
Sounds like you were at the 1980 game when Ed Farmer faced Al Cowens. The
year before, Farmer hit Cowens in the face with a pitch and broke his jaw. So
in this game, Cowens hit a ground ball, ran toward first, then ran to Farmer
and tackled him from behind. Both benches cleared and the fans were howling.
Does this sound familiar?

zach074
01-10-2005, 05:34 PM
I just remember getting off the ramp and I got my first view of Comisky II , i was amazed at how big it was. I still get the same feeling everytime i go. Even more when we got to go on the field for family field day.Wow i love that place.:smile:

BigEdWalsh
01-10-2005, 05:43 PM
My earliest Sox memory is getting a '58 Topps Luis Aparicio card. I loved that card.
The most obscure memory is going to a game in the early 70's, a chilly spring day, very small crowd. I went to one of the stands to get something to eat and waiting behind me in line was John Coleman the old Channel 7 weather guy.:o:

eastchicagosoxfan
01-10-2005, 05:47 PM
I was quite young, and we pulled up in school bus with Club Ki-Yowga Little League, and I was suddenly face to face with this giant green thing. We sat in the lower deck, left field. I came home with a Sox helmet. I couldn't figure out why the White Sox had a green stadium. The Sox played the Twins, I think. Dan Ford hit a homerun, but he was a Twin. Maybe 1974 or 75. In maybe 1977, I recall a game when Jim Spencer hit two homeruns, I think. One may heve been a grand slam, but I'm by know means sure, I was 9 years old in 1977.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-10-2005, 05:51 PM
That's easy. Going to a night game at Old Comiskey, climbing up the dark ramp and suddenly seeing that emerald green outfield for the first time in color. Our Zenith console back home was black & white. Our seats were in right field, lower deck, and Al Kaline was playing RF for Detroit. The entire Cub Scout Pack 134 was there cheering for the Sox.
:redneck

I remember being impressed how much bigger Comiskey was than Wrigley. And I remember the Monster scoreboard, even though I could barely see any of it because of the upper deck and all the posts.
:wink:

konerko1413
01-10-2005, 06:10 PM
i know i have said this before but i can remember sitting on my dads back watching a game with him when i was around 5, ozzie guillen made a fantastic play on a liner, he must have jumped 4 to make the play, to me at the time it seemed like he jumped 10, instantly he became my favorite player and i always used him as my identity in pick up games in front of my house

minastirith67
01-10-2005, 06:11 PM
Some game back in 1990...don't remember the score but the Sox lost and Sammy Sosa homered once and struck out twice at Old Comiskey...

I also remember everybody being depressed as we traveled down the exit ramps due to the loss, a common sight even today.

john2499
01-10-2005, 06:20 PM
Sounds like you were at the 1980 game when Ed Farmer faced Al Cowens. The
year before, Farmer hit Cowens in the face with a pitch and broke his jaw. So
in this game, Cowens hit a ground ball, ran toward first, then ran to Farmer
and tackled him from behind. Both benches cleared and the fans were howling.
Does this sound familiar? I remeber that game. If I ain't mistaken Cowens was on the Royals when he attacked Farmer. The camera guy followed the ball so I didn't see the actual tackle. Harry and Piersall were shocked and pissed if I recall correctly.

robertks61
01-10-2005, 06:21 PM
'69 or '70, Carlos May goes deep! The Scoreboard goes off, I'm hooked for life!

HITMEN OF 77
01-10-2005, 06:27 PM
He died a few years back I think? It must have been 1972, he actually got playing time and did something at the plate. Pretty good glove and as you said he had wheels.

TornLabrum
01-10-2005, 06:45 PM
Earliest memory:

Sometime in 1955, probably spring as best I can figure. I was out playing in the back yard and decided to go see my grandparent, who lived 2 doors away. I went in the back door through the kitchen. As I set foot in the living room, I saw this guy swing at a ball and Jack Brickhouse going berserk over Chico Carrasquel's home run.

I asked my grandpa what channel the game was on and ran home yelling, "Carousel hit a homer!" I turned on the TV and watched the rest of the game, mesmerized. I've been a Sox fan and a baseball fan ever since.

I was able to tell Chico that story several years ago at SoxFest and I was also able to tell Jack Brickhouse that he was a big part of the reason I'm a baseball fan. Now THAT was cool!

Lip Man 1
01-10-2005, 06:45 PM
News and notes:

Yes Alvarado died a few years ago, I think he was 52. My Alvarado memory was in June 1972 against Milwaukee. He, Mike Andrews and Dick Allen all homered in the same inning off the Brewers Jim Lonborg. We were sitting in the left field upper deck near the foul line and Allen's ball fell a few feet short of me.

Regarding the Farmer/ Cowens game (by the way Cowens died a few years ago as well.) After the game the Chicago police came looking for Cowens. They were going to arrest him for assult and battery but Sparky Anderson had already snuck him out of the locker room.

The Jim Spencer game was either against the Indians (a 10:30 AM start) on a Saturday or the first game of a DH versus the Twins in June 1977, a Sunday. Spencer (who died a few years ago...) drove in eight runs in BOTH games. I was at that Twins double header which saw the Sox complete the sweep and move into first place. Larrin LaGrow struck out Larry Hisle to save the nightcap and the crowd starting screaming 'we're number one....'

As far as my earliest memory...I've got everyone beat except No. 2. July 15, 1963. Sox hosting Baltimore. Gary Peters fires a complete game one hitter striking out 11. The only guy to get a hit? The opposing pitcher, Hall Of Famer Robin Roberts who blooped a duck snort over Nellie Fox's head in the 3rd inning. Peters talks about this game in detail in his interview here at WSI.

As far as most obscure, how about September 1971. I'm sitting in the center field bleachers near Harry Caray when Carlos May hits an opposite field INSIDE the park grand slam off the Angels Tom Murphy. Like Peters, May talks about that in detain in his WSI interview!

If you haven't seen the WSI interviews, then you need to! Incredible memories from the guys who played the game. Look for the WSI INTERVIEWS link right under the 'baseball card of the week' feature on the main page.

Lip

Nick@Nite
01-10-2005, 06:49 PM
Probably 1973. Watching the old channel 44, I can recall names like Goose Gossage, Ken Henderson, Terry Forster, Brian Downing, Pat Kelly, Wilbur Wood, Dick Allen, Bucky Dent, Carlos May etc., all being on the same Sox team. :cool:

C-Dawg
01-10-2005, 08:03 PM
My earliest memory was going to a game in 1975. My brother was in the Cub Scouts, and maybe since my dad was driving I got to go too. We sat in RF.... I don't remember who the opposing team was. The funny thing was, that I knew so little about baseball at the time I had trouble telling which team was which. That wasn't a problem any longer once they debuted the classic floppy-jersey softball uniforms the following year!

Another great memory came a couple years later. We got to the park real early, and while waiting in line for the gates to open, Harry Carey came up along the line and was ushered through the gate. But he took the time to shake everyone's hand before he went in, he was so nice!

That may have been the Bat Day game we went to; I still have that bat as a proud keepsake.

RKMeibalane
01-10-2005, 08:21 PM
Carlon Fisk appearing in the 1990 AS Game. I was actually on the White Sox in little league that season, so I asked my dad if the Sox had any players who were good, and Fisk was one of the people he mentioned.

Mingo
01-10-2005, 08:29 PM
News and notes:

Yes Alvarado died a few years ago, I think he was 52. My Alvarado memory was in June 1972 against Milwaukee. He, Mike Andrews and Dick Allen all homered in the same inning off the Brewers Jim Lonborg. We were sitting in the left field upper deck near the foul line and Allen's ball fell a few feet short of me.

Regarding the Farmer/ Cowens game (by the way Cowens died a few years ago as well.) After the game the Chicago police came looking for Cowens. They were going to arrest him for assult and battery but Sparky Anderson had already snuck him out of the locker room.

The Jim Spencer game was either against the Indians (a 10:30 AM start) on a Saturday or the first game of a DH versus the Twins in June 1977, a Sunday. Spencer (who died a few years ago...) drove in eight runs in BOTH games. I was at that Twins double header which saw the Sox complete the sweep and move into first place. Larrin LaGrow struck out Larry Hisle to save the nightcap and the crowd starting screaming 'we're number one....'

As far as my earliest memory...I've got everyone beat except No. 2. July 15, 1963. Sox hosting Baltimore. Gary Peters fires a complete game one hitter striking out 11. The only guy to get a hit? The opposing pitcher, Hall Of Famer Robin Roberts who blooped a duck snort over Nellie Fox's head in the 3rd inning. Peters talks about this game in detail in his interview here at WSI.

As far as most obscure, how about September 1971. I'm sitting in the center field bleachers near Harry Caray when Carlos May hits an opposite field INSIDE the park grand slam off the Angels Tom Murphy. Like Peters, May talks about that in detain in his WSI interview!

If you haven't seen the WSI interviews, then you need to! Incredible memories from the guys who played the game. Look for the WSI INTERVIEWS link right under the 'baseball card of the week' feature on the main page.

Lip
Gary Peter's entire career was one of my favorite memories. I'm going to try and find the interviews here on WSI mentioned above because what I saw on a nationally televised White Sox game still blows my mine. I was young so this was probably in the early 60s. Gary Peter's was pitching low scoring and tight ballgame - Al Lopez goes to the mound and calls for a new pitcher, but sends Peter's to first base to play. After th reliever got the next batter out - Peter's returns to the pitching mound. I think they did that more than once, but seeing it happen is a cheerished memory for me.

Right Pee Wee, or do you want me to sing the Walbash Cannonball song? :)

wassagstdu
01-10-2005, 09:41 PM
Beat this:
In 1954 Cass Michaels (who had been my favorite player when he was with the Sox in 1948 and 1949) got beaned and was in the hospital in pretty bad shape. I sent him a card. He never played baseball again.

That's not my oldest memory by a longshot. Luke Appling Day at Comiskey, June 8, 1947. I was there.

:appling
I used to post a lot more often on the White Sox Board in those days. I was 3.

MikeW
01-10-2005, 10:18 PM
My earliest memory was at Yankee Stadium in about 1961 or 1962. My Dad used to laugh about it because after I consumed quite a bit of Orange juice I asked him when the commercial was coming on so I could go to the bathroom! The Sox lost, but don't remember any details except you were allowed to walk on the warning track to exit out through centerfield. My Dad also bought me a Sox hat(the kind with a patch insignia) and a Sox pennant.

NSSoxFan2
01-10-2005, 10:22 PM
My first memory dates back to the 1993 season. My brother got free tickets for having perfect attendance in middle school. Even though the seats were in the upper deck, it was awesome. Big Frank homered, as did Rockin' Robin, it made me love the Sox instantly. Also, on a funnier note, my sister's Sox hat she had just bought flew away as we walked down the stairs of the UD after the game.

JUribe1989
01-10-2005, 10:28 PM
Even though I was only 4 years old I still remember yelling You can put it on the board....Yes!!! when Bo Jackson hit the big home run in the 1993 clincher. I also remember being very excited for the 1994 playoffs which never happened. I was sure the Sox were going all the way. Then again, I was 5. Still, looking back on it I still think that the Sox would have gone all the way that year.
http://i16.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/1a/50/40_1_b.JPGI remember buying this Julio Franco action figure and running around the house with it all the time. He hit .319 in 1994 with us ya know.

Infallible
01-10-2005, 10:29 PM
Rudy Law 1984 (I think '84) hitting a leadoff inside the ballpark home run.

New member here, you guys have no idea what a relief it is to find this place.

tebman
01-10-2005, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by TommyJohn
Sounds like you were at the 1980 game when Ed Farmer faced Al Cowens. The year before, Farmer hit Cowens in the face with a pitch and broke his jaw. So in this game, Cowens hit a ground ball, ran toward first, then ran to Farmer and tackled him from behind. Both benches cleared and the fans were howling. Does this sound familiar?I remeber that game. If I ain't mistaken Cowens was on the Royals when he attacked Farmer. The camera guy followed the ball so I didn't see the actual tackle. Harry and Piersall were shocked and pissed if I recall correctly.I was at that game! It was doubly bizarre for me because I had organized a trip to the game for about 40 people from work, most of whom weren't even baseball fans. We sat in the upper deck near third base; Cowens hits a routine grounder to short, and my eyes followed the ball. The shortstop (Todd Cruz) fielded the ball, weirdly hesitated, then threw to first. When I followed the ball to first, I saw Cowens and Farmer rolling on the mound.

The game was held up awhile, of course, and several of the people who'd come on the trip grumbled to me that this was going to make them even later getting home.:rolleyes:

At least we all had good stories to tell in the following days at work.

- tebman

NSSoxFan2
01-10-2005, 10:32 PM
Welcome aboard!:gulp:

wilburwood
01-10-2005, 11:25 PM
Little Harry Chappas hitting a home run off of Nolan Ryan Then getting drilled the next time up. Ryan to this day is burned in my brain as cheap and petty. He got away with more crap than any pitcher I have ever seen and I have seen a lot. :angry:

Banix12
01-11-2005, 12:02 AM
My earliest memory is sitting in old comiskey with my dad on seat cushion night sometime back in the late 80's. I'm not sure but I think the game was against boston. What I really remember was everybody going up to the upper deck and throwing seat cushions off to the point where it looked like a waterfall of white squares.

I got a fun Nolan Ryan/Sox memory too. It had to be the last year at the old ballpark and the Rangers were in town playing a double header. Ryan was pitching and Ozzie and Craig Grebeck go back to back off of him. One of the balls landed not too far from me. A special night since I figured it was a sight never to be repeated

jake27
01-11-2005, 12:02 AM
i have two...

the 1st ever game at the new comiskey with my dad and my godfather. i remember going up the ramp and my dad telling me to look at the old comiskey being torn down. i also remember being the the last row of the upper deck for that game:o:

the 1st game i really remember is the last home game vs the blue jays in the 1993 playoffs. the sox were losing and i remember walking on the left field concourse and seeing warren newsome hitting a meaningless home run. yet with the fireworks and it being the playoffs... i was on top of the world :cool:

jake27
01-11-2005, 12:03 AM
:welcome:

SOXintheBURGH
01-11-2005, 12:09 AM
One of my earlier memories that I can absolutely remember is seeing Lance "One Dog" Johnson steal home plate after ripping a triple in his AB at Old County Stadium in Milwaukee.

DrCrawdad
01-11-2005, 12:27 AM
I don't remember the year, but I was around 10-12 years old so it would have been 1974-1976, but we were sitting in the right-field upper deck for BP. Someone hit a bomb into the right-field upper deck. A kid in our age group sitting nearby us had the ball hit right to him. He put his glove out but the smash went right thru his hands and bounced off his chest with a loud thump. The kid dropped to the ground.

Insensitive kids that my brothers and I were we laughed at the kid as they took him away on a stretcher. We probably even said, "Hey, how'd you miss that? It was hit straight to you..."

Anyway, the kid was ok, just had the wind knocked out of him and most likely a nice bruise on his sternum.

One of my first memories was going to bat day in about 1969. We always entered on 35th St, the furthest east entrance. I remember getting the bats, which we used for years after. I remember the smell of the popcorn stand that was right by that entrance. Man, that makes me hungry for some PC!

DrCrawdad
01-11-2005, 12:31 AM
Little Harry Chappas hitting a home run off of Nolan Ryan Then getting drilled the next time up. Ryan to this day is burned in my brain as cheap and petty. He got away with more crap than any pitcher I have ever seen and I have seen a lot. :angry:

I thought that was Craig Grebeck.

SOXintheBURGH
01-11-2005, 12:32 AM
Methinks you're right.

TommyJohn
01-11-2005, 12:46 AM
Another memory is my first night game. It was in 1976, Sox vs. Yankees. I remember this one pretty well. There was a rain delay, my first. It was a pretty bad thunderstorm. back then, I was afraid of thunder, so I was crying. My father got aggravated and pointed out a little kid who was sitting calmly enjoying himself. The thing I remember most was seeing a large, massive bolt of lightning split the air in right field, literally in front of the grandstand; it was followed by a tremendous bang of thunder that practically shook the whole park. I also saw several fans run out onto the field and slide around on the tarp before security hauled them off.

Later, the game resumed. Jim Spencer crushed a drive to right field that landed in the upper deck, barely foul. Pat Kelly got on first and the Yankee pitcher made several pickoff throws and finally nailed him. Ron Luciano was the first base umpire. I also seem to remember Chris Chambliss (or someone) laying down a bunt and somehow making it to third, but I could be mistaken. The game entered the 9th tied up, and my father, who had to get up at 5 AM for work and was half asleep as it was, told me that if the game went into extra innings, we would leave. "No, I want to stay." I whined. The Yanks wound up scoring in the top of the 9th to win, the game ended around 11:45.

TDog
01-11-2005, 12:55 AM
That was a Wednesday afternoon in 1972. Against the Brewers. That season the Sox scheduled their Wednesday games for 1:15 p.m. You could get in the centerfield bleachers for $1. I was 15 at the time and standing with my 8-year-old brother at the base of the scoreboard when it went off.

Banix12
01-11-2005, 01:09 AM
Speaking of inside the park homeruns, I seem to recall watching a game in the early 90's on TV where Ron Karkovice hit an Inside the Park HR up in the HHH Dome in Minneapolis when the ball got stuck underneath that garbage bag wall. It was still visible so the umps couldn't call the play dead. But as many say, when he was young he could run.

eastchicagosoxfan
01-11-2005, 06:48 AM
News and notes:

LipIt was the 10:30 start game, as it was a Saturday. I thought he hit two, but I couldn't remember if it was fact or fiction, and, let's face it, it sounded more like fiction than fact. Thanks for jarring an old memory.

SOXSINCE'70
01-11-2005, 08:06 AM
Dick Allen hitting a pinch hit game winning HR off
Sparky Lyle in a DH sweep of the Yankmees in 1972.:D:

SOXSINCE'70
01-11-2005, 08:07 AM
Didn't Ozzie and Grebeck go back to back off Ryan?

MINFAN1
01-11-2005, 10:25 AM
I was about eight years old. My first game at old comisky. Ted Williams, and the Bosox beat us 4 to 3. I was at one of the last games at old comisky. We beat the Bosox 4 to 3.

Sox-on-TV44
01-11-2005, 10:33 AM
My earliest Sox memory:
1979.My dad was watching Ch.44 and the Sox in a home game against the Angels (I think).And when Jim Morrison hit a home run,the scordboard going nuts,and Harry yelling "Holy Cow!!!".I knew by then,I was a Sox fan for life!

mike squires
01-11-2005, 10:53 AM
Another memory is my first night game. It was in 1976, Sox vs. Yankees. I remember this one pretty well. There was a rain delay, my first. It was a pretty bad thunderstorm. back then, I was afraid of thunder, so I was crying. My father got aggravated and pointed out a little kid who was sitting calmly enjoying himself. The thing I remember most was seeing a large, massive bolt of lightning split the air in right field, literally in front of the grandstand; it was followed by a tremendous bang of thunder that practically shook the whole park. I also saw several fans run out onto the field and slide around on the tarp before security hauled them off.

Later, the game resumed. Jim Spencer crushed a drive to right field that landed in the upper deck, barely foul. Pat Kelly got on first and the Yankee pitcher made several pickoff throws and finally nailed him. Ron Luciano was the first base umpire. I also seem to remember Chris Chambliss (or someone) laying down a bunt and somehow making it to third, but I could be mistaken. The game entered the 9th tied up, and my father, who had to get up at 5 AM for work and was half asleep as it was, told me that if the game went into extra innings, we would leave. "No, I want to stay." I whined. The Yanks wound up scoring in the top of the 9th to win, the game ended around 11:45.
That particular game was on July 19th. YOu can check out the box score and game log at retrosheet.org

Lip Man 1
01-11-2005, 12:18 PM
Yes...

Ozzie and Grebeck going back to back off Nolan in Game #2 of a make up DH in Chicago in August 1990. I have the video of those HR's...what were the odds of those two doing it?

Also that was the start of the dislike between the two clubs which went up a notch the following week in Texas when they had the fight at second base. (That was the night where Fisk set the catching home run record in game #2).

The dislike culminated in 1993 when Ventura charged the mound and got pummled. Of course it didn't help that his arms were pinned by Pudge Rodriguez.

Lip

Soxforlife
01-11-2005, 12:22 PM
I remember going to my first and only game at Old Comiskey in 1990 when i was three. I watched the whole game from my dad's shoulders and still have the picture witht the field in the backround. From then on baseball has been my first love with the SOX a close second.

DC Sox Fan
01-11-2005, 12:44 PM
So many memories. I've already posed my earliest one on a few other threads. Of course my first trip to old comiskey was memorable... but the most random one was my last trip to the old park.

Played the Brewers in 1990- probably july or august. We were in from out of town and knew it'd be our last game there, so made it a huge family event, with my immediate family and all our Chicago-based relatives we were there to visit. There was a loooooong rain delay on this weekend afternoon game. I remember seeing people start looking and pointing at the jumbotron- some inebriated fans realized they were on the scoreboard and mooned 45+k fans. It was priceless. We sat in left field, lower deck. I remember walking out of the stadium in the left field corner and crying as I looked back in on the field one last time, and a little more as we drove away from the stadium for the last time. Felt like a big part of my life was gone, even though I only made 5 games there my whole life...

Joel Perez
01-11-2005, 12:54 PM
Okay, first game to Old Comiskey - Summer 1977 - Chicago v Detroit. On a Saturday night, clear night, my dad takes my older brother and me down a few blocks to Comiskey. We lived off of 26th and Wallace at that time in a 3-story building near Rosie's Diner (is that place still there???) If people go by over there, I hope the building is still there...

Anyway, we walk a few blocks to 35th and Shields. I watched a few innings, and THEN I FELL ASLEEP!!! I woke up when the Sox scored some runs later in the game. That's about all I remember. I still remember Dad parking his Mustang car on 35th to walk to the tickets booth on a sunny day, and then waiting until the game came. I was only 4 years old, and I still remember getting the tix, walking to the park, going inside and looking around, taking our seats, and then watching the first four innings, and then ZZZZZZZZZ until sometime later in the game. I have other memories of Comiskey until I moved out of Chicago in 1986.

Most obscure?
Is it possible for children under 3 years old to remember or recall anything? For some reason, my parents, older brother and I went to Milwaukee for a district convention. My mom still has pictures of that convention, and they had "1974" in the infield.

But that would mean I was 1 year old at the time!!! How is that possible??? I remember traveling up there, and then in my Mom's arms taking our seats and looking at the infield, but little else.

chisoxmike
01-11-2005, 01:34 PM
I remember the first Sox game my dad took me to, it was on Sunday May 9, 1993 against the Indians. It was turn back the clock weekend for the 1983 team. We sat in the club level. I remember Jack McDowel pitched that game and he was on fire. I remember after he struck out one batter, the fans were yelling and cheering. I asked my dad (remember I'm only 9 at this point) "Why are they cheering?" He said becuase the sox pitcher struck out the guy on the other team." I then replyed "Thats not very nice."

Oh how 12 years have gone by, and now I'm leading crowds with cheering for our Sox, and yelling at players on opposing teams.

The Sox beat the Indians that afternoon 6-5 in the bottom of the 9th on a George Bell single that scored Ozzie... I think. (The game highlights are on the 93 good guys wear black tape)

Also in the 1993 season. My dad took my brother and I to a game against the Tigers in the middle of September. He wanted to buy us tickets for a later game, that later game happend to be the clincher that season against the Mariners. He called my mom from the game on a pay phone:o: and asked her if she wanted the tickets, but they were upper deck seats. My mom said no, and said she didn't want to sit up there. Needless to say, my dad didn't get the tickets and I never went to that game. :whiner:

Sad
01-11-2005, 01:43 PM
man
I went to so many games at the old park when I was in high school and tech school...

think my first game I was about 10 years old? not sure...
I remember getting an autograph from Harry Caray as he was down on the field before the game

mjharrison72
01-11-2005, 02:27 PM
Definitely my most obscure: when I was maybe 6 or 7, Vance Law had an apartment near my house, and I used to play with his son Timmy, who was about my age. I remember getting stuck in a hailstorm with him. As far as I can remember, Vance Law was the Sox 3B before Ventura came up...and then he got traded to the Kubs and I never saw Timmy again.

Cat Thief
01-11-2005, 04:01 PM
I must have been 7 or 8 and my grandmother lived on 33rd and Lowe. The first time I heard that scoreboard go off by her house I ran like hell to my mommy.Then, I started getting free tickets for perfect attendance and getting on the honor roll. Man, the memories of the shower in centerfield, Harry in the bleachers, numerous fights, tacos's underneath the left filed stands,the older drunks putting together beer cups to span across almost the whole bleacher section. The memories go on and on.

Another on of my favorites was Harold's 3 hr game. I think he had 9 RBI's. I cant remember what year it was but I was sitting in the first row in the corner of the uppder deck next to the bleachers.

I seen Jack M no hitter.I Didn't realize at the time what a rarity it was to see one in person.

One of my least favorites was when my buddies and I got older, got drunk and ran on the filed during an A's game. Slept under the bench in the slammer on Lowe until 8:30a the next morn. :tsk: I still blame that Chinese beer vendor for always serving us when he knew dam well we were underage. :D:

So many great memories....................

Church Turtle
01-11-2005, 04:30 PM
I came to the SOX late in life. My dad didn't like baseball and it wasn't until college that I started following it myself. I had a buddy who got married in Detroit. Norm and Hippie and I checked out Tiger Stadium and it was ok I guess, better than the Metrodome - I can attest to that. On the way back from the wedding Norm and I stopped for some breakfast and a Sun Times and I read every article that the paper had about the big trade.
Harold Baines for a bunch of people I'd never heard of.
Awhile later, a mutual friend to Norm and I called up and said "I've got tickets to the SOX. Come up and we'll see the game and get an Al's after." So we came up Comiskey. It was already dusk, in fact I was kind of shocked at how the park just kind of appeared after a turn or two - I was in the back seat of a Honda Prelude so it's possible I missed a few things.
We went in and I kid you not it was like seeing one of the seven wonders of the world for the first time. I was giddy. 21 year old goof-ball giggling like a little kid.
Well it was the first game of a series with the Texas Rangers. And it didn't take long for the crowd to really get into calling "HAR-ROLD! HAR-ROLD!" every time he came up to bat. SOX won. Had a great time. And I left there wondering why more people weren't SOX fans. The new park isn't as good - but it's still better than a lot of parks I've been to. And let's face it, if the SOX' home was a sand-lot with wooden bleachers we'd still pull for 'em. :D:

MikeKreevich
01-11-2005, 07:27 PM
My earliest and most obscure Sox memory was listening to the radio in maybe 1953 or 1954 and hearing an account of Chico Carrasquel making a good play. I remember seeing a Mickey Mantle home run in Comiskey, a line drive to the deepest part of the right field upper deck that was still rising when it hit the seats. I remember watching the first game of the 1959 World Series on a television the Nun brought in to our 8th grade class at St. Brendan's school. Sox won 11-0. I was sitting in the second row of the right field bleachers with my mother and saw Britt Burn's tremendous pitching performance and Tito Landrum's home run that beat the Sox in the 1983 playoffs.

CallMeNuts
01-11-2005, 07:40 PM
Earliest memory: 1962? Sox lose both ends of a double-header to the Yanks in extra innings. At least one of the games was lost on a Mantle HR.

Obscurity: My dad took me to Baltimore in 1969 on the White Sox fan tour. Friday and Saturday games were both rained out. I got to stay up "late" at the Lord Baltimore Hotel, so we could get player autographs. It was around 10 PM. For some strange reason the players were all LEAVING the hotel to get cabs. I asked my dad where everybody was going this late. "They have a meeting to go to, son," was his response.

jamteh
01-11-2005, 10:19 PM
I remember my gradfather took me to my first Sox game in '77. I was 4 years old. I remember the White Sox had runners on second and third. The catcher for the other team--I think it was the Tigers--stood up and called for an intentional walk. I remember asking my grandfather what he was doing, and he told me "cheating." So until I was 9 or 10 years old, I thought intentionally walking someone was cheating. After watching Bonds get walked a million and a half times over the last few years, perhaps my grandfather was right.

SOXSINCE'70
01-12-2005, 07:38 AM
Yes...

Ozzie and Grebeck going back to back off Nolan in Game #2 of a make up DH in Chicago in August 1990. I have the video of those HR's...what were the odds of those two doing it?

Also that was the start of the dislike between the two clubs which went up a notch the following week in Texas when they had the fight at second base. (That was the night where Fisk set the catching home run record in game #2).

The dislike culminated in 1993 when Ventura charged the mound and got pummled. Of course it didn't help that his arms were pinned by Pudge Rodriguez.

Lip
:D: :D: Thanks,Mark!!

Jurr
01-12-2005, 08:15 AM
I remember a few of 'em...

Kittle and Walker going deep in a game, and I was so amped when the pinwheels at old Comiskey would get a'spinnin'.

Getting John Cangielosi to sign my batting gloves.

Getting a Kirby Puckett card (ended up being a rookie) signed by the man himself out in right field before the game.

The funniest memory was hearing the crowd chant "Detroit sucks...Detroit sucks"...and not knowing what they were saying. I thought they were saying Detroit Sox. Didn't make any sense to me.

batmanZoSo
01-12-2005, 08:31 AM
In the late 80s when I was 6 or 7, before I even really liked baseball I was at a game at Old Comiskey behind the outfield fence. There was a $20 dollar bill laying on the ground behind Steve Lyons and everyone was trying to get his attention so that he'd give it to them, even though it belonged to none of them. After being a cool, oblivious ballplayer for a few minutes, eyes glued to the plate and seemingly unaware of our prodding, he finally acknowledged us by turning around, smiling and putting the bill in his back pocket. I thought it was funny, but I was kind of disappointed because I was probably the only kid there and if he were to hand it to anyone, it would have been me. And in the late 80s, a kid with 20 dollars would've been considered a multi-billionaire.

Chez
01-12-2005, 08:49 AM
My grandfather took me to my first Sox game in 1967 -- we sat behing home plate and watched Sam McDowell of the Indians throw about 190 mph. The thing that sticks with me from early years at the old park was the distinctive aroma -- a combination of cigar smoke, beer and urine! Good times.

T-Bag
01-12-2005, 08:55 AM
Can't remember the year but it was at old Comiskey. I was like 7 years old. I had to take a leak so my dad to me. While we were in there, the fireworks went off as Rudy Law went yard. My dad was so pissed at me.

Paulwny
01-12-2005, 09:57 AM
Being young at the time and living so far away, all my memories are via the radio and sport pages.

1955-56 The sox trading Carrasquel and starting the season with the unknown Aparicio. At the time I thought this was a big mistake. :redface:

1959- Season opening game in Det, Fox hits a hr in extra innings , sox win, the start of a strange but glorious season. :D:

1960- Utility infielder, Sammy Esposito, commits an error and the flood gates open. A disgruntled "fan" rushes to 2nd and confronts esposito. Not a fond memory. :angry:

Procol Harum
01-12-2005, 10:09 AM
In maybe 1977, I recall a game when Jim Spencer hit two homeruns, I think. One may heve been a grand slam, but I'm by know means sure, I was 9 years old in 1977.
I was at that game, July 3, 1977, I believe--Spencer had a grand slam, a 2-run hr, and a 2-rbi double for 8 rbis. Sox beat the Twins something like 11-8 and moved past them into first place and stayed there for the next 7 weeks or so.

Early obscure Sox memory: another Sox victory over the Twins on a Little League Day in 1964--Ron Hansen doubles home the winning run in the bottom of the 11th in a see-saw battle. I remember Dave Nicholson missing a grand slam homer on a long foul ball down the left field in the early innings. Of course, as he was prone to do, he ended up striking out.

Paulwny
01-12-2005, 10:46 AM
[QUOTE=Jurr] .

Getting John Cangielosi to sign my batting gloves.
QUOTE]

This is also probably my son's fondest memory, he was 5-7 yrs old at the time. The Buffalo Bisons were a farm team of the sox and Cangielosi was the cf. My neighbor happened to catch a foul ball and gave it to my son. The stadium was a football stadium converted for baseball. Neither dugout had an exit to the clubhouses so the players had to walk through a concession area at the end of the game and some players would stop and buy a dog and a drink. While leaving the stadium my son noticed Cangielosi at a concession and ran over to him. My son got the ball autographed and John offered him a bite of his hot dog.

As stated above the stadium was converted from football for baseball, the visitors dugout had no access to a lavatory, the visiting players used the public restrooms. My claim to fame, while I was at one stall, Andres Gallaraga was next to me.
This was truly a fan friendly stadium.

Cubbiesuck13
01-12-2005, 11:00 AM
One of my first memories was with my brothers and sisters. We would stand over the bullpen and drop are giveaway hats down by the players on 'accident' and then ask them to sign them before they threw them back up to us.

I also remember standing outside the hump dome in MN after the games to wait for the players to get on the bus and go to their hotel. This peticular time the previous day we had waited outside their hotel when they arrived and I had gotten the Oz's autograph along with Karko's and others. Frank walked on past. He quickly became a Jerk, accordingly to our family. Anyway, the next night after the game the Oz is signing and he looks at me and says, "I allready signed for you" or something that sounded like that to me. To this day you can't get me to beleive that he didn't reconize me. It was a great moment and I still have the card he signed for me. I was also there when Black Jack went for his 20th win up in MN.

Medford Bobby
01-12-2005, 12:04 PM
:smile: Boy I had to scratch my head on this one, but the biggest early memory at SOX Park was 1973 and it's a non baseball recollection of meeting Harry Caray in person. He was walking down one of the ramps and I saw him coming down and no one else was around and I greeted him and he said " HI ya kid" made some small talk and signed my SOX seat cushion (yea that's right it was seat cushion night)....I know I went to alot of Harry centerfield games and saw him broadcast, but this was a special one on one meeting....My Dad says his favourite SOX Park memory was running into Red Grange at a game some time during the '50s.:o:

Saw McGuire hit number 27 in 1987 that was straight shot to left of the score board in the grandstand section almost to the wall farthest HR I've ever seen!:redneck

:D: Also a NICE final memory of the ole Park was visit to fill out a vendor application in 1989...I picked up the paper work(never filled it out) and instead of walking out the door I went to the box seats and sat for a about 10 minutes in the empty park...no one else was around, the Park was silent and Istarted thinking of all the players, fans and action that had taken place here, it you could almost hear the roar of the crowds and smell the cigar smoke..........:redface:

slavko
01-13-2005, 06:09 PM
I'm probably one of the few people here who saw Ted Williams play. He was well past his prime, and I really had no idea who he was, but I could tell by the tone of my Dad's voice when he said "That's Ted Williams" that he was someone special.
I remember Williams hitting a line drive into straight center field which rolled all the way to the fence 440 feet away (before the bullpens were moved from foul territory to center field) against a shifted over outfield and trotting into second base with a double. He was not Charley Hustle.

Mingo
01-13-2005, 08:27 PM
Yes...

Lip
And, Robin is still the proud owner of a record 6 straight hits off Nolan Ryan. :D:

Rudy Law
01-13-2005, 09:50 PM
I remember going to my first game with my parents when I was about five....I barely remember the game, but I saw Reggie Jackson and the Yankees...I think it was 1980-81...I just remember it was really humid out.....

:timo: TWO HANDS TIMO!! PLEASE!!