PDA

View Full Version : Todd Ritchie

Jjav829
01-10-2005, 04:33 PM
Wow, well Monday has been a great day for former White Sox pitchers that Kenny Williams overpaid for in trades. First, Billy Koch signs with his old team, the Blue Jays. Now Todd Ritchie has signed back with his old team, the Pirates.

Pirates signed RHP Todd Ritchie to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
Ritchie had his last decent season in Pittsburgh in 2001 before the Pirates got the White Sox to give up Kip Wells, Josh Fogg and Sean Lowe for him. He was ineffective while rehabbing following shoulder surgery last season, and it's not a great bet that he'll be any better this year. Still, the Pirates have nothing to lose by bringing him in to compete for the vacancy in their rotation.
What's next? Scott Schoeneweis going back to the Angels? :cool:

MUsoxfan
01-10-2005, 04:38 PM
Todd can continue his sub-par pitching on a sub-par team. Neither party has anything to lose in this deal.

JUribe1989
01-10-2005, 04:40 PM
Ritchie was supposed to be a work horse when he came to the Sox. Maybe going back to a pretty much no pressure team could help his career. Their other fifth starter options aren't too impressive anyways.

MUsoxfan
01-10-2005, 04:48 PM
Milwaukee was as low-pressure as it gets. No such luck there.

veeter
01-10-2005, 05:07 PM
I still marvel at the stupidity of that trade.

Nick@Nite
01-10-2005, 07:11 PM
Quote:
it's not a great bet that he'll be any better this year. Still, the Pirates have nothing to lose by bringing him in to compete for the vacancy in their rotation.

They can say that again. :mad:

eastchicagosoxfan
01-10-2005, 07:42 PM
I still marvel at the stupidity of that trade.At the time of the Richie for Wells anf Fogg trade, the Sox were looking for an innings guy, who had a winning track record. It was well known that the Sox would have to give up quality, and Wells had never reached his potential in a couple of seasons with the Sox. I didn't dislike the trade, because Wells wasn't the number one he was expected to be. Ritchie had a great second half with Pittsburg, and the Sox expected him to be that pitcher. I don't know if the Sox got damaged goods or what. I wouldn't be surprised if Matt Clement is this years Todd Ritchie. Wells is basically John Garland. He's 47-51 for his career.

RKMeibalane
01-10-2005, 08:16 PM
Maybe the Sox will be able to get Foulke back.

samram
01-10-2005, 09:00 PM
Maybe the Sox will be able to get Foulke back.
I was thinking someone could start a thread about all of KW's trades and whether those trades render him superior or inferior to Billy Beane. You know, just for something a little different.

RKMeibalane
01-10-2005, 09:03 PM
I was thinking someone could start a thread about all of KW's trades and whether those trades render him superior or inferior to Billy Beane. You know, just for something a little different.
Consider it done.

hose
01-10-2005, 09:31 PM
What did the Pirates offer him? vendor? ticket booth? parking lot director?:?:

Soxzilla
01-10-2005, 10:19 PM
I still marvel at the stupidity of that trade.
Oh whatever. We traded garbage for garbage.

At least Ritchie had SOME upside. Wells and Fogg would never have amounted to anything in the American league.

I swear to god, we must have been watching a different pitcher in 2000, because I had to clinch my butt cheeks everytime Wells was on the mound, you never knew if jekyl or hyde would show up, and more often than not ... it was hyde.

TDog
01-10-2005, 11:17 PM
Still, I wish Ritchie luck. I hope he no-hits the Cubs. Twice.

santo=dorf
01-10-2005, 11:25 PM
I still marvel at the stupidity of that trade.:schueler
"I was behind that trade, although I didn't feel it was necessary for us to give them the kid [Fogg]. We felt we could straighten out Todd's mechanics, but it didn't happen. I still think he can be a good pitcher.'' (http://www.addictsports.com/baseball/archive/index.php/t-13330.html)

veeter
01-12-2005, 08:06 PM
Oh whatever. We traded garbage for garbage.

At least Ritchie had SOME upside. Wells and Fogg would never have amounted to anything in the American league.

I swear to god, we must have been watching a different pitcher in 2000, because I had to clinch my butt cheeks everytime Wells was on the mound, you never knew if jekyl or hyde would show up, and more often than not ... it was hyde. Upside is in reference to potential. Wells and Fogg were still young with potential. Ritchie was a veteran. He had no upside, he just had experience. When the trade happened I simply felt the Sox overpaid. Sean Lowe was very effective for the Sox. At the time Wells and Fogg could have turned out very good. Maybe Kenny had a crystal ball like you. I have to say though, what you did with your butt cheeks while watching Kip pitch is your own business.

SOXintheBURGH
01-12-2005, 08:50 PM
People around here kind of like Kip Wells, not so much Fogg, you never know what you're going to get when he pitches.. 4 runs in 2 innings or 4 hits over 8. Wells, next to Perez, is a fan favorite SP that the Buccos have.

Soxzilla
01-12-2005, 11:16 PM
Upside is in reference to potential. Wells and Fogg were still young with potential. Ritchie was a veteran. He had no upside, he just had experience. When the trade happened I simply felt the Sox overpaid. Sean Lowe was very effective for the Sox. At the time Wells and Fogg could have turned out very good. Maybe Kenny had a crystal ball like you. I have to say though, what you did with your butt cheeks while watching Kip pitch is your own business.
No, while Lowe may be an average pitcher of some use, it doesn't take much to replace a guy like that. And heck, now we have Hermanson, who is two times the pitcher that Lowe is.

Ritchie had the upside to be a decent middle of the rotation guy, I watched a few games from him and he could pitch at times. Unfortunately he didn't work out, so apart from having to pay for Ritchie's salary, that trade was a nothing more than a stupid waste of time.

Wells and Fog? Potential? Where?

I guess Josh Stewart has upside because he is young.

No.