PDA

View Full Version : Mets Gone Wild! Delgado is next target

Baby Fisk
01-10-2005, 02:31 PM
linky from ESPN. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1963769)

The Mets and Delgado's camp are working to put together a meeting late this week, a source told ESPN.com.

The meeting is expected to include Delgado, agent David Sloane, Mets GM Omar Minaya and Mets owner Fred Wilpon.
Considering the Mets have gone 2 for 2 with players who they had these sorts of meetings with (Pedro, Beltran), they appear to be serious about Delgado.

gosox41
01-10-2005, 02:32 PM
linky from ESPN. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1963769)

Considering the Mets have gone 2 for 2 with players who they had these sorts of meetings with (Pedro, Beltran), they appear to be serious about Delgado.
Maybe this will decrease their interest in Sosa. Phil Rogers reported to day that it was still a possibility.

Bob

Hangar18
01-10-2005, 02:32 PM
I really wish the METS would change their uniforms back to Blue & Orange.
totally sold their own history out ...........

Unregistered
01-10-2005, 02:43 PM
According to ESPN, Beltran is doing his best to convince his friend to sign with the Mets:

The Mets might not be done spending big money. Beltran called fellow Puerto Rican and free agent Carlos Delgado (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5178) on Sunday, according to The Times, in an attempt to help lure the slugging first baseman to the Mets.

He is likely selling Delgado on what he sees in New York.

RKMeibalane
01-10-2005, 02:47 PM
If the Mets succeed in signing Delgado, they actually might not be that bad next season, even considering their history of free-agent busts. The problem for them has always been injuries to key players, but if they can avoid that in 2005, they're going to be a much better team.

Clement's beard
01-10-2005, 02:48 PM
The Marlins say: Not so fast! They have offered a 3/35 to Delgado. They should have just kept Derrek Lee.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/10608969.htm?1c

Unregistered
01-10-2005, 02:51 PM
Seriously, Delgado would be a nice fringe signing - a good compliment to a team like the Mets or something, but to throw $12 million a year at him and make him your "franchise" player like the Marlins are trying to do, just doesn't make any sense. At this point, it seems that teams have too much money burning holes in their pockets that they just want to spend on whoever's left.

Tekijawa
01-10-2005, 02:59 PM
Better yet this would mean all the more likely that Magglio could got to Baltimore, where I woudl just have to ignore him and not dispise him if he were on the North Side!

doublem23
01-10-2005, 03:03 PM
Carlos Delgado has Mo Vaughn written all over him. The Mets would be dumb enough to sign him, forcing Mike Piazza back to catcher so he ruins his knees 5x faster.

Baby Fisk
01-10-2005, 03:10 PM
Carlos Delgado has Mo Vaughn written all over him. The Mets would be dumb enough to sign him, forcing Mike Piazza back to catcher so he ruins his knees 5x faster.Interesting point. Piazza is pretty much done as a catcher (as evidenced by his excruciatingly slow pursuit of the great Carlton Fisk's All-Time HR Record for Catchers). I wonder what they do with Piazza if Delgado comes riding into town...

Nick@Nite
01-10-2005, 03:10 PM
According to ESPN, Beltran is doing his best to convince his friend to sign with the Mets:
I wonder if Delgado & Sosa hang?

Hokiesox
01-10-2005, 03:12 PM
Better yet this would mean all the more likely that Magglio could got to Baltimore, where I woudl just have to ignore him and not dispise him if he were on the North Side!
I hope not. I don't want to have to listen to how great he is from the Orioles fans around here...

Nick@Nite
01-10-2005, 03:16 PM
I remember hearing on sportsblab radio some weeks ago that the Mets & Piazza came to a mutual agreement to play him at catcher and forget about 1B, regardless of the wear and tear.

That decision was basically to make Piazza happy, who isn't too concerned about lengthening his career... he's a lock for the HOF as a catcher anyway.

RKMeibalane
01-10-2005, 03:19 PM
Interesting point. Piazza is pretty much done as a catcher (as evidenced by his excruciatingly slow pursuit of the great Carlton Fisk's All-Time HR Record for Catchers). I wonder what they do with Piazza if Delgado comes riding into town...
The Mets have already said that Piazza won't be playing first base anymore, so it's either catcher or a trade to an American League team for him if he wants to keep playing.

samram
01-10-2005, 03:20 PM
Interesting point. Piazza is pretty much done as a catcher (as evidenced by his excruciatingly slow pursuit of the great Carlton Fisk's All-Time HR Record for Catchers). I wonder what they do with Piazza if Delgado comes riding into town...
Well, they're not benching him, so I guess it's back behind the plate. Their IF defense could be a little suspicious with Delgado at 1B and Matsui, who has a hard time backhanding balls, at SS. I don't know how good Wright is at 3B (11 errors in 68 games last season). Beltran and Cameron give are great in the OF though.

Soxzilla
01-10-2005, 03:20 PM
The Marlins say: Not so fast! They have offered a 3/35 to Delgado. They should have just kept Derrek Lee.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/10608969.htm?1c

Yeah, that is all the marlins need to help bolster attendence. A superstar player with an image problem.

RKMeibalane
01-10-2005, 03:24 PM
Well, they're not benching him, so I guess it's back behind the plate. Their IF defense could be a little suspicious with Delgado at 1B and Matsui, who has a hard time backhanding balls, at SS. I don't know how good Wright is at 3B (11 errors in 68 games last season). Beltran and Cameron give are great in the OF though.
I had the same thought, but I guess they're more concerned about trying to revive their offense, which was non-existent most of last season. Wright was their most consistent hitter.

RKMeibalane
01-10-2005, 03:27 PM
2005 Mets Lineup:

2B- Jose Reyes
SS- Kaz Matsui
CF- Carlos Beltran
1B- Carlos Delgado
LF- Cliff Floyd
C- Mike Piazza
RF- Mike Cameron
3B- David Wright

This isn't a bad lineup on paper, but if Piazza and Floyd break down again (which they probably will), then the Mets could be in trouble.

samram
01-10-2005, 03:30 PM
2005 Mets Lineup:

2B- Jose Reyes
SS- Kaz Matsui
CF- Carlos Beltran
1B- Carlos Delgado
LF- Cliff Floyd
C- Mike Piazza
RF- Mike Cameron
3B- David Wright

This isn't a bad lineup on paper, but if Piazza and Floyd break down again (which they probably will), then the Mets could be in trouble.
Well, they're also in trouble because their SPs are 6 inning pitchers (Pedro can only get to 100 pitches, Zambrano walks too many guys to get through 6, Benson sucks, etc.) and their bullpen is not very good.

MUsoxfan
01-10-2005, 03:46 PM
My question is this.....Where are the Mets getting all this freaking money? Seriously, are they borrowing from the Federal Bank? I know it's NYC, but the Yanks seem to have a stranglehold financially in the city.

Clement's beard
01-10-2005, 03:53 PM
My question is this.....Where are the Mets getting all this freaking money? Seriously, are they borrowing from the Federal Bank? I know it's NYC, but the Yanks seem to have a stranglehold financially in the city.
They have a new TV deal this year and want to bury the Yankees by signing every player that was and still is great. Minaya has a big influence on the Latin players and it has shown. This is why the Sosa to the Mets story is gaining steam here in Chicago.

If Minaya makes the trade for Sosa, he is crazy. However, I really think he is going to do it.

CubsfansareDRUNK
01-10-2005, 03:53 PM
I wonder if Delgado & Sosa hang?
i think they prefer "chill"

Baby Fisk
01-10-2005, 03:55 PM
My question is this.....Where are the Mets getting all this freaking money? Seriously, are they borrowing from the Federal Bank? I know it's NYC, but the Yanks seem to have a stranglehold financially in the city.With the launch of the new Mets-flagship sports station, it looks like they are going for broke in 2005. It being the Mets, it could result in one of two things:

- another freakin' "miracle season" ala 1969 & 1986, or
- another season gone bust by August

They'll either succeed or fail. Yeah, I'm really going on a limb there. :redface:

Rocklive99
01-10-2005, 04:06 PM
The Mets may be successful next year, I think Omar is being real dumb with these contracts though. Whether Boras is to blame or not, I bet he'll be fired in 2.5 - 3 years max, just my prediction

Chicago83
01-10-2005, 05:16 PM
All of a sudden the Mets are the NL Yankees, damn New Yorkers. They should be fun to watch next year though, will the Braves finally be dethroned? Probably not.
How many years do you think it will be before they trade Beltran and Pedro and eat part of their salary?

gosox41
01-11-2005, 09:10 AM
All of a sudden the Mets are the NL Yankees, damn New Yorkers. They should be fun to watch next year though, will the Braves finally be dethroned? Probably not.
How many years do you think it will be before they trade Beltran and Pedro and eat part of their salary?

Did Beltran get his no-trade clause with the Mets that he wanted oh so badly with the Astros?

Bob

samram
01-11-2005, 07:16 PM
Did Beltran get his no-trade clause with the Mets that he wanted oh so badly with the Astros?

Bob
I'm not sure about the no-trade, but he did get a pretty sizeable signing bonus, which may have been a difference maker.

Baby Fisk
01-14-2005, 03:23 PM
The seduction of Carlos Delgado continues... NY Post linky (http://www.nypost.com/sports/mets/38523.htm)

The Mets got together with the free-agent first baseman yesterday, meeting with him for approximately 30 minutes in Puerto Rico with a contingent that included Jeff Wilpon, Omar Minaya, Jim Duquette and Tony Bernazard.

Delgado's agent, David Sloane, confirmed the meeting but did not want to go into detail on its substance other than to say, "It was agreed in advance that it would be a brief meeting with no contractual issues on the agenda." Sloane did not attend the summit.

While the meeting was more social than business in nature, Sloane said he expects a conference involving the latter shortly.

"I anticipate talking soon with Omar Minaya to set up a further meeting that will go more in-depth regarding Carlos becoming a Met," Sloane said. "[Delgado] felt it was a very positive meeting, that after meeting Jeff Wilpon, he has a better feeling about the opportunity that playing for the Mets would present to him."