PDA

View Full Version : central division from a tigers fan pov

DiGiSyKo
01-10-2005, 01:23 PM
link: http://www.detnews.com/2005/tigers/0501/10/D04-54964.htm

Chicago
With multiple trades and signings, the Sox have been the most active of the Central teams by far, but that doesn't mean they're going to be the most improved. Or improved at all, for that matter.
Their major signing has been outfielder Jermaine Dye (two years, $10.15 million), but for a team losing Ordonez and Carlos Lee (traded to Milwaukee), Dye will need to step up his game offensively. It's entirely possible he can and will, however, at hitter-friendly U.S. Cellular Field.

The trade with the Brewers brought in centerfielder Scott Podsednik and relief pitcher Luis Vizcaino, which will help Chicago's speed, defense and bullpen, but the ballpark demands offense.

Other signings included pitchers Dustin Hermanson and Orlando Hernandez. A lingering issue will be Hernandez's health. In two of the last three years, he's pitched fewer than 100 innings. Catcher A.J. Pierzynski will help the offense, but he's no Pudge Rodriguez.geeze, did kenny williams do anything right?

SoxBoy14
01-10-2005, 01:28 PM
Who really cares? We'll find out around the 4th of July if Kenny did anything right. I like what he's done.

DiGiSyKo
01-10-2005, 01:29 PM
Who really cares? We'll find out around the 4th of July if Kenny did anything right. I like what he's done.true. i'm calming down already.

jabrch
01-10-2005, 01:30 PM
Detroit, so far, has done nothing more than adding Percival.

Cleveland added Milwood and Rhodes, but lost Vizquel and Lawton - might be a wash?

KC did nothing

Minny lost Koskie and Guzman

We had to have the best offseason in the division, right? (That's not saying much)

Joel Perez
01-10-2005, 01:31 PM
I guess Eric Munson isn't the next Mike Schmidt, huh?

Or Carlos Pena isn't the next Rafael Palmiero?

Gimme a break. The guy seems to contradict himself, stating one good pickup then saying that the Sox may not have shored up their offense.

I guess 70 stolen bases from Pods and 25/30 HRs from Dye is just minor league stuff then, right?

balke
01-10-2005, 01:34 PM
That's crazy. They sign one closer, then bluff buying 2 of the top 3 free agent hitters this offseason, and suddenly they're a contender? They didn't directly say that, but that's what I took. I'm not afraid of the Tigers just yet.

They and the indians had good shots to make major moves this offseaon, and really didn't get anything accomplished. Every player the sox picked up looks to be on the way up. We've deleted our losers (Koch, Jackson, alomars, valentine, broken maggs) and added bench depth, bullpen depth, upgraded at catcher, and added a pool of players with talent. I think it's still Sox v. Twins. Especially if Frank joins the team by July.

DiGiSyKo
01-10-2005, 01:40 PM
Catcher A.J. Pierzynski will help the offense, but he's no Pudge Rodriguez.what's the need for this comparison? to make detroit look great? the sox haven't had a solid catcher for sometime now... this is a great pick up

Tekijawa
01-10-2005, 01:43 PM
what's the need for this comparison? to make detroit look great? the sox haven't had a solid catcher for sometime now... this is a great pick up
Maybe they are referring to the fact that AJ doesn't spend large portions of seasons on the DL

Ol' No. 2
01-10-2005, 01:45 PM

geeze, did kenny williams do anything right? Relax. Even though the Detroit News doesn't own the Tigers, I'm sure they do puff pieces just like the Trib does about the Cubs. Means zilch.

Joel Perez
01-10-2005, 01:52 PM
This guy is a homer.

What could save the Tigers, however, is that the other teams in the American League Central haven't exactly had stellar off-seasons, as well -- and that's where the most immediate measure of the Tigers' progress can be made.
Sure, you can look at the Red Sox and say, "See what they've done? They signed Edgar Renteria and Matt Clement." Or you can look at Seattle and praise the signings of Adrian Beltre and Richie Sexson.

Some teams have had excellent off-seasons. Within the A.L. Central, however, there haven't been many major headlines. If anything, by not losing much, the Tigers might have made up ground on those they need to catch. The guy needs to take off the Tigers' love-rose colored glasses. "The other teams in the AL Central haven't exactly had stellar off-seasons"? "There haven't been many major headlines" within the AL Central??? HELLO!!!! :angry: He must not read the AP wires as to what's been going on with a certain AL team in the Windy City!

Sour grapes, just because his beloved Tiger team didn't get all of the pieces they were aiming for. Oh wait, when they sign Mags to a long term contract, this yahoo will say that the Tigers not only had the best off season in the AL Central, but they will contend for the playoffs.

To quote Jim Mora: "P-PP-PPP-Playoffs?!?!?"

fledgedrallycap
01-10-2005, 01:58 PM
From a pure grammar/English point of view, garbage article. I hope that was more of a tidbits type piece.

santo=dorf
01-10-2005, 02:20 PM
They traded for Mets back up catcher, Vance Wilson too!

I can't stand hearing this "they lost Magglio and Carlos Lee" argument. Didn't Magglio play in only 52 games last season, and the Tigers still finished well below the Sox?

I can't wait for the season to start.

Mickster
01-10-2005, 03:02 PM
What's the problem? I think it is fine that teams in our division take us for granted and don't think that we are the favorite to win the division. Nothing wrong with that.....

samram
01-10-2005, 03:24 PM

Yeah, but they talked about signing every other free agent, which is just as good as signing them, right? 100 wins for the Tiges in 2005!

danimal81
01-10-2005, 03:25 PM
KC did nothing

You seem to forget....

It's Lima Time!!!!!!!!!!!:dtroll: :bandance: :happybday :supernana: :gulp:

MUsoxfan
01-10-2005, 03:52 PM
That's crazy. They sign one closer, then bluff buying 2 of the top 3 free agent hitters this offseason, and suddenly they're a contender?

We all were pissy at KW when there was no rumblings about us signing anyone, and when there were rumblings (Vizquel, Clement) were were really pissed at the time when they didn't go through. KW's under-the-radar tactics have worked out great. I'd be a really pissed off if I were a Tigers fan and it was out there that we were looking to sign every top free agent out there, and all but one fell through.

Iwritecode
01-10-2005, 04:01 PM
What's the problem? I think it is fine that teams in our division take us for granted and don't think that we are the favorite to win the division. Nothing wrong with that.....

Nothing like "flying under the radar". :D:

Now if they could only exceed everyone's lowered expectations unlike last year. :whiner:

CubKilla
01-10-2005, 04:04 PM
I actually don't see anything wrong with the out-of-towners assessment of the Sox. All are legit points IMHO. I guess I'm in the minority here.

Either that, or I lost my Sox-colored glasses.

Uribe=MVP
01-10-2005, 04:07 PM
I just hope the Tigers fans' don't react in an Artestian way when we whoop their ass up and down Detroit Rock City this season.

Baby Fisk
01-10-2005, 04:10 PM
I just hope the Tigers fans' don't react in an Artestian way when we whoop their ass up and down Detroit Rock City this season.Nice! :welcome:

zach074
01-10-2005, 04:13 PM
I guess you guys haven' heard, the Tigers are gona win the division by at least 15 games.

PicktoCLick72
01-10-2005, 04:17 PM
Do we even have to play this season or shoud we just crown the tigers champs?

twsoxfan5
01-10-2005, 04:18 PM
:welcome: Uribe=MVP

Jjav829
01-10-2005, 04:23 PM
:welcome: Uribe=MVP
Just wondering, who is "Email DJ?" :D:

Someone needs to tell Tom Gage that while A.J. Pierzynski is clearly no Pudge Rodriguez; Jason Johnson, Mike Maroth, Jeremy Bonderman, Nate Robertson, and Wilfredo Ledezma are clearly no Mark Buehrle, Freddy Garcia, Orlando Hernandez, Jose Contreras, and Jon Garland.

Tekijawa
01-10-2005, 04:36 PM
Just wondering, who is "Email DJ?" :D:

Someone needs to tell Tom Gage that while A.J. Pierzynski is clearly no Pudge Rodriguez; Jason Johnson, Mike Maroth, Jeremy Bonderman, Nate Robertson, and Wilfredo Ledezma are clearly no Mark Buehrle, Freddy Garcia, Orlando Hernandez, Jose Contreras, and Jon Garland.
Some one should CC: the White Sox Hitters on that same message... I don't think that they were aware of this the past two seasons.

California Sox
01-10-2005, 05:35 PM
Some one should CC: the White Sox Hitters on that same message... I don't think that they were aware of this the past two seasons.
LOL. I was at a series versus the tigers last year (the beginning of the end series) where they made those guys look like the '54 Indians. The Sox need control the division better. It seems like the last two years, especially in the second half, we've played our worst ball in the division and it kills us. This year, when everybody (but KC?) thinks they've got a shot in a watered-down race, we've got to come up big head-to-head.

Over By There
01-10-2005, 05:50 PM
Have the Tigers even done enough to pass Cleveland, much less the Sox? :rolleyes:

This gets my juices going. Can't wait to pound the Tigers this year. And the Twins, and the Tribe, and the Royals... :cool:

Lip Man 1
01-10-2005, 08:00 PM
Jjava says: "Jason Johnson, Mike Maroth, Jeremy Bonderman, Nate Robertson, and Wilfredo Ledezma are clearly no Mark Buehrle, Freddy Garcia, Orlando Hernandez, Jose Contreras, and Jon Garland."

Except when they have pitched against the Sox the past two seasons right?

Lip

zach074
01-10-2005, 08:13 PM
I think every pitcher trys to do there absolute best against us just to piss off Hangar.

MRKARNO
01-10-2005, 08:17 PM
Jjava says: "Jason Johnson, Mike Maroth, Jeremy Bonderman, Nate Robertson, and Wilfredo Ledezma are clearly no Mark Buehrle, Freddy Garcia, Orlando Hernandez, Jose Contreras, and Jon Garland."

Except when they have pitched against the Sox the past two seasons right?

Lip
Wrong. I dont know about 2003, but in 2004 vs the White Sox:

Ledezma 4.05 ERA (3 starts 2 relief appearances)
Maroth 3.14 ERA in 2 starts
Johnson 6.66 ERA in 4 starts
Robertson 5.54 ERA in 4 starts
Bonderman 5.40 ERA in 5 starts

Stellar.

SABRSox
01-11-2005, 02:46 AM
Let me preface this by saying I don't think the Tigers have a legitimate shot at anything better than 3rd this season in the AL Central.

That being said, Detroit has got a very interesting starting staff up there. You have to realize that these guys' stats are way inflated because they should have been pitching in the minors the past two years. But, since Detroit has nobody else...

The guy to really keep a watch on is Bonderman. His K/9 rose from 6.0 to 8.2, and his Opponents Slugging Against fell 100 points. I wouldn't be surprised if he was next season's Oliver Perez.

Anyway, I wouldn't take Detroit for granted. It seems that over the past few years, the team we should have beat most often and didn't wasn't the Twins, it was the Tigers.

Fredsox
01-11-2005, 06:35 AM
You know, the dude (or dude-ette as the case may be) is certainly entitled to a viewpoint. I think it's flat-out wrong if you compare the depth and quality of the pitching staff for the Sox, and our overall defense. It is true that we have lost a lot of HR but that does not equate to a winning offense.

As other posters have said, if the prevailing opinion on the Tigers is the Sox are a mediocre team on the way down, that's fine by me. When all they see is the backs of our jerseys as our baserunners are running for home, or their feeble groundball outs to SS, we'll see who's mediocre.

eastchicagosoxfan
01-11-2005, 06:38 AM
In the original thread contents, the author stated that the ballpark demands offense. Obviously, that person hasn't watched the Sox the last few years.

soxtalker
01-11-2005, 08:55 AM
I actually don't see anything wrong with the out-of-towners assessment of the Sox. All are legit points IMHO. I guess I'm in the minority here.

Either that, or I lost my Sox-colored glasses.
I agree with you.

johnny_mostil
01-11-2005, 06:21 PM

geeze, did kenny williams do anything right?
"The ballpark demands offense?" :bs: :kukoo:

The writer is absolutely clueless. Hitter's parks don't demand offense, they create it out of thin air.