PDA

View Full Version : Oh Billy Koch, you found a home!

soltrain21
01-10-2005, 10:37 AM
http://tsn.ca/mlb/news_story.asp?id=110749

Looks like Billy is going to be playing for Jays. I hope he can get his abilties back in order and becomes respectable again, he deserves it.

Baby Fisk
01-10-2005, 10:45 AM
From the Toronto Sun:

YOU CAN come home, again. Reliever Billy Koch was signed by the Blue Jays yesterday.

Koch, a former No. 1 pick of the Jays, who pitched for Team USA in the 1996 Olympics, made his debut in 1999, saving 31 games for the Jays.

After being dealt to the Oakland A's for third baseman Eric Hinske, Koch moved on to the Chicago White Sox.

He lost his job as the closer with the Sox in 2004, going 1-1 with eight saves in 19 games and a 5.40 earned run average before moving on to the Florida Marlins where he was 1-2 with a 3.51 ERA.

Jays GM J.P. Ricciardi first expressed interest in Koch at the winter meetings, but said at the time he didn't expect him to figure into the closer's role in 2005. Best of luck to Billy. I hope he can turn it around (in games that do not impact the Sox). :cool:

Jerko
01-10-2005, 10:49 AM
Great, now he's teammates with the guy who has "I love Billy Koch" tattooed on his ass? If he doesn't feel "welcomed" in Toronto he's in trouble.

Palehose13
01-10-2005, 10:49 AM
I wish Billy the best. Even though he made my blood pressure rise, he was always a class act. Many players could learn a lot from his behavior.

jackbrohamer
01-10-2005, 12:52 PM
I agree, I hate to see a player fall as fast as he did at his age, maybe going back to Toronto will do him some good.

Iwritecode
01-10-2005, 01:57 PM
So with the exchange rate does that mean his 89 MPH fastball is more like 96 MPH when he's on the road?

MUsoxfan
01-10-2005, 02:43 PM
So with the exchange rate does that mean his 89 MPH fastball is more like 96 MPH when he's on the road?

For his sake, I wish that was true

OEO Magglio
01-10-2005, 02:45 PM
I wish billy the best of luck, he was terrible for the sox but was always a stand up guy and I wish him well.

CubKilla
01-10-2005, 03:08 PM
Botch is done. Hope he "closes" for the Jays. The Sox will always be able to win if the spectre of Billy Botch looms large in games against the Jays that the Sox may be losing late.

MUsoxfan
01-10-2005, 03:11 PM
Botch is done. Hope he "closes" for the Jays. The Sox will always be able to win if the spectre of Billy Botch looms large in games against the Jays that the Sox may be losing late.

I wish the guy all the success in the world. He took the most personal responsibility of his bad play than anyone I've ever heard before. He's a stand up guy and I'll always root for him (except against the Sox)

JUribe1989
01-10-2005, 03:30 PM
I hope that Billy can put back 5 MPH on that fastball and become a solid closer or setup man for the neighbors to the north.

Chicago83
01-10-2005, 04:09 PM
Despite his sudden loss of velocity and overall skill last year, I still think this was a good pickup for the Jays at under a million. In fact I wouldn't have minded seeing him back in a sox uniform at that price. I know that most sox fans hate the guy with a burning passion, but he always seemed like a gamer to me, when he sucked he admited it and didn't make excuses. I predict he will be an adequate bullpen guy for the jays with a 4.5 ERA.

bhayes520
01-10-2005, 04:39 PM
id say it is pretty sad that we think someone who can come and blow saves for a little under a million dollars a year is a bargain, but lets not talk about the over-the-top baseball salaries for the sake of A-Rod, and most recently Beltran....

he took responsibility for what he f'd up, and that's good, but i think he deserves a star role in the blue jays organization, just one in AAA, he has lost his talent, and thus deserves to play where he belongs, i hope im wrong, but i dont see him being a factor for the blue jays, plus, how many games will they win anyway (especially w/o delgado)????

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-10-2005, 04:43 PM
I wish Billy the best. Even though he made my blood pressure rise, he was always a class act. Many players could learn a lot from his behavior. I agree with this post. He was one of my favorites since the day the white sox traded for him.

buehrle4cy05
01-10-2005, 09:53 PM
Trading for Billy Koch looked like the right move when Kenny made it...trading Foulke, who came off a bad season and only had 1 year left for Koch, who had 2 years left and was coming off a great season. I guess something happened with Koch, and he suddenly couldn't throw the ball 99 mph. What I disliked about Koch is that he pitched like he still had that 99 mph fastball, I heard a lot of talk about how Koch was going to throw more offspeed stuff, but that never amounted to anything...although he did bring us Wilson Valdez!!!

gosox41
01-11-2005, 08:07 AM
I only wish Koch would have signed with another AL Central team.

Bob