PDA

View Full Version : Magglio gushing over the cubs. Article says Cubs, Mets and O's have medical records.

Clement's beard
01-09-2005, 11:43 PM
Had to rub my eyes to see if I had read this correctly. This is from the mercury news and you need to register. I'll post some of this article.:o:

Magglio Ordonez daydreamed about the possibility of hitting between Aramis Ramirez and Sammy Sosa. "Not a bad lineup, huh? he said with a laugh. Speaking from his home, Ordonez said he's ready to work out for any team. Sources said the Cubs, Mets and Orioles have requested and received Ordonez's medical records, including reports concerning his knee injury last summer.

But it will probably come down to the Cubs and the Orioles, two teams with holes in the outfield and room in the budget. Ordonez insisted he was completely healthy.

"The doctors have cleared me", he said. "I'll be ready to play by spring training. Everybody will see. "I'm pain-free and in better shape then ever now after rehabbing so long".

Ordonez's preference to remain in Chicago makes the Cubs his obvious first choice. General manager Jim Hendry has had preliminary talks with Ordonez's agent, Scott Boras.

soltrain21
01-09-2005, 11:45 PM
This guy is a jag.

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-09-2005, 11:57 PM
He's day dreaming over the thought of batting between Ramirez and Sosa? Sosa is horrible and Ramirez despite having a great season last year, has been inconsistent his entire career. Although I'm sure he's just using the media to raise his value, which isn't that high right now...

StillMissOzzie
01-10-2005, 12:01 AM
Sources said the Cubs, Mets and Orioles have requested and received Ordonez's medical records, including reports concerning his knee injury last summer.

BFD. IIRC, nobody was disputing having the records. It was inspection of Magglio Ordonez, live and in person, that was prohibited by Bora$. With an etched-in-stone arbitration deadline to comply with, KW and JR made the only rational decision they could. Maybe the extra months of rest and rehab WILL have Maggs ready to play by ST, but that wasn't the real issue at the time.

SMO
:gulp:

Clement's beard
01-10-2005, 12:01 AM
Maybe someone should tell Ordonez that Sosa will not even be with them by spring training.

chisoxmike
01-10-2005, 12:02 AM
I really can't stand this guy anymore.

Clement's beard
01-10-2005, 12:08 AM
BFD. IIRC, nobody was disputing having the records. It was inspection of Magglio Ordonez, live and in person, that was prohibited by Bora$. With an etched-in-stone arbitration deadline to comply with, KW and JR made the only rational decision they could. Maybe the extra months of rest and rehab WILL have Maggs ready to play by ST, but that wasn't the real issue at the time.

SMO
:gulp:

Not only that but BorASS cancelled the "We'll show you at the winter meetings he is fine" and now he is "better than ever". That is coming from Ordonez.

NSSoxFan2
01-10-2005, 12:59 AM
I wonder what a person like Hawk or Dave Wills thinks about Magglio.

The Critic
01-10-2005, 01:21 AM
He's just desperate to get something more than a one-year "prove it" deal, and he's spitting love talk at anyone who'll listen.
I'm sure he wants to stay in Chicago - who wouldn't? It's an awesome city.
I don't hate him, but I sure am disappointed in how this all turned out.

DrCrawdad
01-10-2005, 01:59 AM
Had to rub my eyes to see if I had read this correctly. This is from the mercury news and you need to register. I'll post some of this article.:o:

Magglio Ordonez daydreamed about the possibility of hitting between Aramis Ramirez and Sammy Sosa. "Not a bad lineup, huh? he said with a laugh. Speaking from his home, Ordonez said he's ready to work out for any team. Sources said the Cubs, Mets and Orioles have requested and received Ordonez's medical records, including reports concerning his knee injury last summer.

But it will probably come down to the Cubs and the Orioles, two teams with holes in the outfield and room in the budget. Ordonez insisted he was completely healthy.

"The doctors have cleared me", he said. "I'll be ready to play by spring training. Everybody will see. "I'm pain-free and in better shape then ever now after rehabbing so long".

Ordonez's preference to remain in Chicago makes the Cubs his obvious first choice. General manager Jim Hendry has had preliminary talks with Ordonez's agent, Scott Boras.

I searched Magglio and Ordonez on the San Jose Mercury News and did not find the article you're talking about.

Could you be a ...

:dtroll:

Blueprint1
01-10-2005, 02:47 AM
Maybe someone should tell Ordonez that Sosa will not even be with them by spring training.
hey cubs fan i mean clements beard who is going to trade for sosa??? Why would another team want the cubs overpaid garbage??? Wishful thinking on your part.

SOXintheBURGH
01-10-2005, 02:50 AM
hey cubs fan i mean clements beard who is going to trade for sosa??? Why would another team want the cubs overpaid garbage??? Wishful thinking on your part.
Aye-aye.

Whitesoxtom
01-10-2005, 04:51 AM
I searched Magglio and Ordonez on the San Jose Mercury News and did not find the article you're talking about.

Could you be a ...

No, the article is real, do a google search on Magglio Ordonez and it comes up. It doesn't mean it's the truth. but it is disturbing none the less.

That article is the reason I am here. I am going to be very upset if he signs with the Cubs. I truly believe he will be healthy, and will put up monster numbers with whoever he plays for.

Just another thing for Cub fans to hold over us. I really despise Maggs for this. He (and Boras) will only do it to stick it to the White Sox, when the only real people he will be hurting is the fans.

If I hear the "OH EEE OH" chant at Wrigley, I will lose my lunch :angry:

DumpJerry
01-10-2005, 07:00 AM
The article, with the same quotes, is in (surprise!) today's Cubune. He should be careful being next to Sosa, Wood's bat might hit by accident on its way to the boombox.........

CubsfansareDRUNK
01-10-2005, 07:21 AM
that article makes me want to:

:chunks

samram
01-10-2005, 07:36 AM
Not only that but BorASS cancelled the "We'll show you at the winter meetings he is fine" and now he is "better than ever". That is coming from Ordonez.
:maggs
"Come on, baby, I never done you wrong. Everything's gonna be fine, you'll see. Just sign on the dotted line, and we'll live together in harmony."

Iwritecode
01-10-2005, 09:51 AM
Did they miss the fact that the Cubs would have to get rid of Sosa first if they want to sign Maggs??? :?:

DrCrawdad
01-10-2005, 10:08 AM

Could you be a ...

I saw the article on the Cubune website. Sorry. My bad.

I did search for the article and searched the SMN. Oh well.

Magglio is now ready scale tall buildings in a single bound.

Anyone notice the interesting turnabout for many Cub fans, in that so many always putdown Magglio but now nearly every Cub fan wants Magglio?

Fagglio Queerdonez is a PIG and my guess is that the whining baby will finish the year like Troy Glaus.....In the trainer room. - One Google search result for "Fagglio." (http://excite.rototimes.com/forum.php?rowcnt=60&action=drill&pid=74525&board=rbsball)

TDog
01-10-2005, 10:34 AM
...Ordonez's preference to remain in Chicago makes the Cubs his obvious first choice. ...
So much that he turned down a big contract offer from the Sox.

DiGiSyKo
01-10-2005, 10:40 AM

Could you be a ...

linky... http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/10606069.htm?1c

mdep524
01-10-2005, 10:51 AM
that article makes me want to:

I shouldn't be surprised by this, but the entire Cubune sports section is a joke today. It is basically a new issue of VineLine, with "Chicago Tribune Sports" printed at the top instead.

Some choice cuts:

-Rick Morrissey saying the Cubs showed Beltran "love" ("but not money.") OK, I get it, when the White Sox lowball a player it is clearly underhanded, cheap and evil. When the Cubs do it, it's showing love. (Nevermind the fact they didn't even meet with Beltran or his agent.)

-Phil Rogers speculating that not only is the Sosa-to-the-Mets trade still a distinct possibility after the Beltran signing, but that the trade would be in the best interests of the Mets and make them a better team. :rolling: Come on Phil, sometimes I really respect you and want to like you, but then you come out with a fluff piece like this. When you write such obvious tripe as this how can anyone take you or this paper seriously?

-Of course all the Magglio gushing stuff.

The Cubs have had SO much press this offseason- and yet they haven't done one single thing (except resigning Nomar and Walker, I guess). They have added nothing to their team, and let their most productive outfielder and most consistent/healthy starting pitcher from 2004 walk away. But so much coverage in the Trib you'd never know their offseason has been a complete failure so far.

JRIG
01-10-2005, 10:53 AM
-Phil Rogers speculating that not only is the Sosa-to-the-Mets trade still a distinct possibility after the Beltran signing, but that the trade would be in the best interests of the Mets and make them a better team. :rolling: Come on Phil, sometimes I really respect you and want to like you, but then you come out with a fluff piece like this. When you write such obvious tripe as this how can anyone take you or this paper seriously?

Bah. Obviously what the Mets need now are more 30 start/190 inning pitchers. After all, that's the key to World Series success, right Phil?

DrCrawdad
01-10-2005, 11:04 AM
Anyone think that if Magglio signs with the Cubs, either he'll say it or some Cubune writer will say that Magglio turned down more money with the Sox to sign with the Cubs.

If you think I'm kidding since it's not true, consider that Dave Kaplan in an interview with Bobby Hill, Kaplan said that Hill turned down the Sox so that he could sign with the Cubs. When it has to do with the Cubbies, truth, honesty, facts, you just can't let those stand in the way of putting down the Sox and praising the Cub.

Clement's beard
01-10-2005, 11:15 AM
Anyone think that if Magglio signs with the Cubs, either he'll say it or some Cubune writer will say that Magglio turned down more money with the Sox to sign with the Cubs.

If you think I'm kidding since it's not true, consider that Dave Kaplan in an interview with Bobby Hill, Kaplan said that Hill turned down the Sox so that he could sign with the Cubs. When it has to do with the Cubbies, truth, honesty, facts, you just can't let those stand in the way of putting down the Sox and praising the Cub.No doubt about it. They will have Ordonez on the podium and he will say it was his dream to play on the north side. The next day the tribune and times will have full color spreads on the back page showing Ordonez smiling like a kid.

This is an easy call.

Baby Fisk
01-10-2005, 11:18 AM
Plus they will only have to do minimal overdubs on those Chevy commercials.

:maggs
"My home is Chicago. My team is the [CUBS]."

veeter
01-10-2005, 11:29 AM
Magglio will not sign with the Cubs!!! I'll tell you why: Scott Boras always goes with the highest offer. A bunch of Cub players are getting big raises this year, Wood, Hawkins, and others. Aramis Ramirez is a free agent after this year so they're looking at a huge contract there as well. That being said they will try to give Mags a one year deal with incentives. They've also talked of a hometown discount. Boras will have none of that. The Orioles, Astros or whoever will really have an easy time of snatching Mags from the Cubs' supposed grasp. It's typical Cubune smoke and mirrors. So please worried people rest easy.

jortafan
01-10-2005, 11:30 AM
Before anyone gets too excited, they should read the Sun-Times story from Monday, Jan. 10, by Mike Kiley.

Kiley, who in the past has been known to be as Cub-obsessed as anyone, buried the whole Ordonez angle to the end of his story. In two paragraphs, he said the Cubs were wary of pursuing Ordonez under any circumstances, and would likely demand rigorous physical tests in addition to what has already been done, in order to get them to show any interest in offering a one-year contract for Magglio.

He reported Cubs "sources" saying they are NOT convinced Magglio is physically sound.

duke of dorwood
01-10-2005, 11:37 AM
He's not sound, or someone would know it. I'm so glad I never got a Magglio jersey.

Its not the organizations fault this guy is a drillrod.

Clement's beard
01-10-2005, 11:40 AM
Bruuuuuuuce Levine was just on 1000 and said that the Cubs and Mets will get down to business this week and pursue a Sosa for Floyd swap of contracts. He then said that the cubs expect to hear from BorASS this week regarding Ordonez.

If the Mets help the Cubs out of this they are nuts.

JB98
01-10-2005, 11:51 AM
Bruuuuuuuce Levine was just on 1000 and said that the Cubs and Mets will get down to business this week and pursue a Sosa for Floyd swap of contracts. He then said that the cubs expect to hear from BorASS this week regarding Ordonez.

If the Mets help the Cubs out of this they are nuts.
I think the Cubs are stupid if they do that. If they start the season with an outfield of Floyd, Patterson and Ordonez, I guarantee you they'll have an outfield of DuBois, Patterson and Hollandsworth by midseason.

Floyd + Ordonez = Injury train-wreck waiting to happen.

To all Cub fans, I say, "Go ahead and lust after Ordonez." They like to think they'll be sticking it to us by signing him. My reaction: Be my guest.

DC Sox Fan
01-10-2005, 11:57 AM
The O's are making it known that they're after Maggs, too. This is from an article in the washington post, although you'll have to register. (or go to www.bugmenot.com (http://www.bugmenot.com)) I'll post a snippet:

The Orioles also hope to hear this week from agent Scott Boras about Magglio Ordoņez, who last week visited a doctor who is expected to allow the outfielder to resume baseball activities. Ordoņez missed most of last season because of a knee injury
Full article, mainly about how the O's are already using the Nats as an excuse to not go after FA's:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A61618-2005Jan9.html

Palehose13
01-10-2005, 12:03 PM
To all Cub fans, I say, "Go ahead and lust after Ordonez." They like to think they'll be sticking it to us by signing him. My reaction: Be my guest.
This is my reaction as well.

I have a good friend who is unfortunately a cub fan. I usually see her on Wed. nights for darts and Sundays for football. Every week or so it seems that I have news about the Sox which I would like to discuss. Yesterday, it was the Pierzynski signing. Funny that I got what is now the typical response from her, "I'm just happy the cubs signed Nomar." I smirk. Yesterday I also got, "It looks like the cubs may be going after Ordonez." I replied with "Sign him. He's damaged goods. Who knows when he'll play again and at what level."

I would tell you guys the rest, but it was a conversation with a cub fan. I love the girl, but geesh...

PaleHoseGeorge
01-10-2005, 12:08 PM
You know how I know Magglio is damaged goods? Because his agent is Boras and his client's market value is being irreparably harmed by not demonstrating how healthy his knee is.

His knee isn't healthy. That's why they're hiding it. If they didn't hide it, Magglio's market value would be even worse.

Any team (especially a National League team) dumb enough to offer Magglio a guaranteed contract does not deserve to keep the money they'll waste on his albatross of a salary.

Maybe the Cubs are dumb enough to outbid the Orioles and make this gimp their new outfielder. We ought to be glad if they do.
:cool:

DrCrawdad
01-10-2005, 12:16 PM
Before anyone gets too excited, they should read the Sun-Times story from Monday, Jan. 10, by Mike Kiley.

Kiley, who in the past has been known to be as Cub-obsessed as anyone, buried the whole Ordonez angle to the end of his story. In two paragraphs, he said the Cubs were wary of pursuing Ordonez under any circumstances, and would likely demand rigorous physical tests in addition to what has already been done, in order to get them to show any interest in offering a one-year contract for Magglio.

He reported Cubs "sources" saying they are NOT convinced Magglio is physically sound.

The plot thickens...

The Cubs haven't taken serious looks at two free agent outfielders -- former White Sox right fielder Magglio Ordonez or Jeromy Burnitz. If they can't trade Sosa, sources indicated that they are unlikely to consider signing Ordonez to start in left.

If Sosa goes, Ordonez will be considered at that time. But the Cubs presently are extremely leery of the condition of Ordonez's troublesome knee. They would require extensive medical workups on him before pursuing him very far.

In addition to the Mets, Baltimore, Washington and Kansas City appear to be the teams that still could be interested in Sosa. The Cubs are committed to $21.5 million to Sosa in 2005 with a $17 million salary and a buyout.

Hendry has told other GMs that he will not go beyond that dollar amount in taking back whatever expensive contracts that they may be trying to unload on him, while also asking the Cubs to pay a portion of Sosa's '05 salary.

What everyone seems to overlook in their rush to demonize Sosa is this -- who is going to replace him in right and be able to produce numbers like him? Burnitz might not match his production and Ordonez has health issues.

If Sosa is not traded, he and manager Dusty Baker will have to find a way to co-exist and Sosa also will have to patch up some strained relationships in the clubhouse. - January 10, 2005, Chicago Sun-Times

santo=dorf
01-10-2005, 01:03 PM
Why don't the Mets just sign Magglio instead of taking on Sosa's huge contract? Does Minaya have that big of a hard-on for Sosa? :?:

robiwho
01-10-2005, 01:21 PM
Why don't the Mets just sign Magglio instead of taking on Sosa's huge contract? Does Minaya have that big of a hard-on for Sosa? :?:
This article explains the Mets hunt for big names: http://www.nynewsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-spmetstv104110273jan10,0,5870757.story?coll=ny-baseball-headlines

They're lauching their own regional sports network next season and need big names to boost ratings to generate ad revenue. Sosa fits that need more than Maggs does.

What a surprise -- it's all about the money.

gosox41
01-10-2005, 01:34 PM
This article explains the Mets hunt for big names: http://www.nynewsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-spmetstv104110273jan10,0,5870757.story?coll=ny-baseball-headlines

They're lauching their own regional sports network next season and need big names to boost ratings to generate ad revenue. Sosa fits that need more than Maggs does.

What a surprise -- it's all about the money.
Why not just spend the money on good players and win instead?

Bob