PDA

View Full Version : Astros Need To Fill Some Holes

HoustonAstros967
01-09-2005, 04:14 PM
I saw online that the Astros may be in dealings with the Rangers for Alfonso Soriano. I think this is a good trade unless he agrees to play the outfield. Alfonso isn't a great fielder but I think he'd do fine in the outfield. Maybe if the Astros brought in a big name like that Clemens would decide to return. The Rangers may be looking for Brandon Backe so if I was The Astros I would be hesidant to make that trade because Backe has a lot of potential.

veeter
01-09-2005, 04:27 PM
I feel bad for the Astros and falling victim to Boras. As a Cub hater I hope they recover and salvage something this off-season. So, Soriano is a good start because he can provide offense. It will be interesting. Maybe they could push for Maggs or Delgado you know they have the money.

JUribe1989
01-09-2005, 05:13 PM
Soriano makes a lot of money for someone who is terrible defensively and whose offensive numbers are similar to Juan Uribe. Houston shouldn't start by trading Backe. He is a solid fourth or fifth starter. I think Clemens will stay because the reason he came to the Astros in the first place was that he wanted to pitch with Pettite. He rarely got to do that last year as Pettite kept reinjuring his arm. Pettite should be healthy this year and that is still a good rotation then. Clemens, Pettite, Oswalt, Backe, and Redding/Munro. Other than the fifth spot that rotation looks pretty good, and you need a good rotation to compete in the NL Central. Soriano is no place for the Astros to start picking up the pieces. How about trading for Randy Winn and putting him in center. He is a good fielder and a solid hitter with medium power.

JUribe1989
01-09-2005, 05:22 PM
Uribe vs. Soriano in 2004

Batting Average: Uribe .283 Soriano .280
Errors: Uribe 11 Soriano 23
Salary: Uribe 350,000 Soriano 5,400,000

HoustonAstros967
01-09-2005, 05:26 PM
I feel bad for the Astros and falling victim to Boras. As a Cub hater I hope they recover and salvage something this off-season. So, Soriano is a good start because he can provide offense. It will be interesting. Maybe they could push for Maggs or Delgado you know they have the money.
the only problem with maggs is that he can hit but he can't play the outfield anywhere near as good as Carlos Beltran.

JUribe1989
01-09-2005, 05:27 PM
the only problem with maggs is that he can hit but he can't play the outfield anywhere near as good as Carlos Beltran.
The Astros don't have to worry about a great defensive outfielder, but the problem with Maggs isn't that he can't play the outfield well. The problem is that when he plays the outfield he is hurt immediately. Any National League team getting Maggs is a dumb idea.

Banix12
01-09-2005, 06:36 PM
I really would not want to be the astros right now, two big holes to fill, an aging Superstar in Biggio who can play 2nd or any of the OF positions but none of them particularly well, and they have reached a point in the Free Agent season where the best power hitters other than Delgado and Maggs available are the likes of Jeromy Burnitz and Brad Fullmer. Soriano would make sense to the point where they can fill one of the holes with a major league caliber player and if it all falls apart next season he would be good trade bait to a contending team at the deadline. Trade seems like the best option, cause a combo of Burnitz and someone like Larkin is hardly a suitable replacement for what they lost.

Isn't Berkman injured too?

JUribe1989
01-09-2005, 06:43 PM
Berkman tore his ACL, and could miss up to a month or more.

HoustonAstros967
01-09-2005, 07:13 PM
Their is only one thing that can save the Astros now and its Roger Clemens. The only thing we can do is pray

FedEx227
01-09-2005, 09:18 PM
Yeah, Soriano is not worth the money, until he gets that salary reduced hes a nightmare to any team. He can't field AT ALL...

but yeah, the Astros are looking pretty bad, but hey they always find a way.