PDA

View Full Version : Trying to plan a spring trip to AZ

BRDSR
01-09-2005, 02:49 PM
(Note: I don't know which forum this belongs on. If it's not this one, please move it.)

I'm currently trying to plan a trip to AZ from about Sunday the 20sth of March to Wednesday the 23rd, but I'm running into some problems that I was wondering if anyone had the answer to. The biggest one is, if I fly into Tuscon and stay in a hotel near the airport, is it easy or difficult to get to Tuscon Electric Park without a car? Is the public transportation good(or existent) or am I going to be stuck taking an expensive cab? Also, if I wanted to get to an away game, do the White Sox provide any transportation from Tuscon Electric to the away stadium? I've never heard of such a thing, but i would certainly be willing to pay for such a service. Also, does anyone know of convenient hotels in the area? Thanks.

Viva Medias B's
01-09-2005, 03:27 PM
You will need to rent a car, even if you fly into Tucson. The area is quite palatial. The closest hotel to Tucson Electric Park is the Holiday Inn Palo Verde (http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hd/tusap?irs=null). It's a 5 minute drive/30 minute walk from TEP. Also, the hotel can shuttle you between to TEP and back. Except for the Rockies at Hi Corbett Field in Tucson, you would have to go to the Phoenix area (1-2 hours away) to see road Sox games. That is why you would want to rent a car too.

BRDSR
01-09-2005, 03:39 PM
You will need to rent a car, even if you fly into Tucson. The area is quite palatial. The closest hotel to Tucson Electric Park is the Holiday Inn Palo Verde (http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hd/tusap?irs=null). It's a 5 minute drive/30 minute walk from TEP. Also, the hotel can shuttle you between to TEP and back. Except for the Rockies at Hi Corbett Field in Tucson, you would have to go to the Phoenix area (1-2 hours away) to see road Sox games. That is why you would want to rent a car too.
This is what I was afraid of. I don't think they rent cars to 19 year olds, even in Arizona. So...is anyone on the board going to be in the Tuscon area from the 20th-25th? :wink:

TDog
01-09-2005, 03:50 PM
Without a car in Tucson, you may have a problem. That's pretty much true everywhere you go in Arizona. (Really, travel without a car in Europe is so much easier than it is in the U.S.) There are buses, but the service is limited in the semi-industrial area just off I-10 where the Sox train.

TEP might only be a five-mile taxi ride from the airport, but it could be a $10 fare. The Doubletree at Reid Park is convenient to the Rockies' spring base and Hi Corbett Field, but the closest hotel I know of anywhere near Tucson Electric Park is the Holiday Inn Palo Verde. That's four miles from the airport and one mile from TEP. I don't know if the hotel has a complimentary airport shuttle. And you may not want to walk a mile.

During the spring, hotels may have special shuttles for guests going to spring games. You might call a couple of hotels to ask about any baseball deals. Another bet might be to find other Sox fans who will be there and ask them for help. They are more abundant on weekends.

C-Dawg
01-09-2005, 04:04 PM
And if you do wind up renting a car (although I just noticed the part about you being 19), you may find its cheaper to just fly into Phoenix and rent from there. That's what I did last year - Phoenix is a mini-hub for Southwest Airlines, and they have a much bigger variety of flights and prices compared to going straight to Tucson. But that's just based on my limited research a year ago.

I'm still hoping to drive out there this year (since March is still in our slow season at work), and could possibly do some taxi service when I'm there. Its still up in the air when or if I'm going however.

MrRoboto83
01-09-2005, 04:24 PM
If you fly into Phoenix fly America West Airlines out of O'Hare, their main headquarters is in Phoenix and you can get the best prices with them usually to there. I booked my spring training trip for March 10-15 and round trip airfair was $148!!! Anyone else going out that weekend? I'm going to see the Sox play the A's and Flubs, perhaps the Rockies as well

Clembasbal
01-09-2005, 09:42 PM
Sorry man, I am heading out there myself...going to be in Arizona from March 25th to the 31st. Sorry.

A suggestion from somebody who has been there 4 times and is only 23...

1) Try as hard as you can to rent a car, sometimes they let you...you will have to pay more for insurance though...but you need it.

2) Don't stay in Tuscon. Go to Pheonix, it costs less to fly there and rent a car there...and see the White Sox play games out there. And if you get the car, go to Tuscon for a day or two, but nothing really out there. Besides White Sox training facility (which is cool - but not mindblowing for somebody my or your age).

3) The Tuscson bus system is not bad, shuts down early though...and you might be there when Univeristy of Arizona is on break, so the city will be totally dead (you might have to check on that). I don't know if it goes to TEP, you can check online I am sure.

4) If you stay is Tuscon, go on Priceline.com and lowball a price, I got a resort in Tuscon that usually costs $299 a night for only $130. Go lower if you can.

Anything else I can help you with, let me know.

JKryl
01-09-2005, 10:33 PM
Sorry man, I am heading out there myself...going to be in Arizona from March 25th to the 31st. Sorry.

A suggestion from somebody who has been there 4 times and is only 23...

1) Try as hard as you can to rent a car, sometimes they let you...you will have to pay more for insurance though...but you need it.

2) Don't stay in Tuscon. Go to Pheonix, it costs less to fly there and rent a car there...and see the White Sox play games out there. And if you get the car, go to Tuscon for a day or two, but nothing really out there. Besides White Sox training facility (which is cool - but not mindblowing for somebody my or your age).

3) The Tuscson bus system is not bad, shuts down early though...and you might be there when Univeristy of Arizona is on break, so the city will be totally dead (you might have to check on that). I don't know if it goes to TEP, you can check online I am sure.

4) If you stay is Tuscon, go on Priceline.com and lowball a price, I got a resort in Tuscon that usually costs $299 a night for only $130. Go lower if you can.

Anything else I can help you with, let me know.
Wait a minute here. It's cheaper to fly into Phoenix than it is to go directly to Tuscon. If you can get a car, you can then drive to Tuscon. However, it's a two hour drive, and that can get old if you plan on staying in Phoenix. What I did is get to Phoenix in time to catch a game with the Sox there, and then drove to Tuscon.

Staying is Tuscon is cheaper, and while there isn't a lot to do, they do have the University of AZ there, along with a national forest split into two segments on either side of town. If you want to stay on the cheap, there's always a Super 8. In any event, if you can get a credit card, it will help a lot. Everyone is right, public transportation sucks.

Finally, if you like rocks and mining, Bisby, AZ is about 3 hours south of Tuscon. They have an open air mining pit that boggles the mind, and a hard rock mine that takes you 1,500 feet under ground on a tour. Make reservations in advance. Oh, yes, you also pass, and can stop at the original Tombstone, AZ, which is close to Bisby. It has the original boot hill, and the OK Corral.

Good luck.

BRDSR
01-10-2005, 01:05 AM
Thanks guys, you've been helpful. I'd say my best bet is to fly into Tuscon as cheap as possible, get a taxi to the hotel(Holiday Inn Palo Verde) and walk to the stadium from there on a couple of game days. The Sox play that Monday and Tuesday at home, so I'd definitely get to those. I was hoping I'd be able to get to the away game on Wednesday, but that could be tough unless I'm able to bum a ride with somebody staying at that Holiday Inn. Anyway, thanks for the info. As far as extracurricular activities, I'm still high on the ostrich festival that takes place in Arizona every spring. Did you guys know it's one of the top 10 festivals in the country!

C-Dawg
01-10-2005, 05:51 AM
If you want to stay on the cheap, there's always a Super 8.

LOL That's where I stayed! As it turned out it wasn't too far from the park, but I didn't realize it until later when I found I'd been going the long way to get there. It would have been an awfully long walk though.

Next night I stayed at a cheapie independant place that was only $22 and was spotlessly clean, so there are deals to be found if you look.

Lillian
01-10-2005, 07:18 AM
Although I've been reading the posts here, for some time, this is my first entry.
I went to Tucson last Spring in order to attend all of the Sox home games, and I stayed at the Crosslands at 4800 S. Butterfield Dr. It is only about a mile from Tucson Electric Park, which is the Sox Stadium. You can take a bus, that does stop right in front of the Crosslands. The only problem is that you have to transfer, in order to get right to the Stadium. However, it's only about a four or five block walk from that transfer stop to the Park. If you prefer to wait for the bus transfer, they have them timed fairly well, so that you don't have to wait too long. Of course, a cab ride is not expensive, given the close proximity of the hotel and the Park.
The Crosslands has a small kitchen in all of the rooms, and it is very nice. They don't have a pool, but everything else is quite comfortable. It was very reasonable, although I did have a weekly rate. I don't know what they charge nightly, but it's not expensive. I would stay there again, and can recommend it with confidence.
Hope to meet some of you at Sox Fest this weekend.

Clembasbal
01-10-2005, 09:15 AM
Although I've been reading the posts here, for some time, this is my first entry.
I went to Tucson last Spring in order to attend all of the Sox home games, and I stayed at the Crosslands at 4800 S. Butterfield Dr. It is only about a mile from Tucson Electric Park, which is the Sox Stadium. You can take a bus, that does stop right in front of the Crosslands. The only problem is that you have to transfer, in order to get right to the Stadium. However, it's only about a four or five block walk from that transfer stop to the Park. If you prefer to wait for the bus transfer, they have them timed fairly well, so that you don't have to wait too long. Of course, a cab ride is not expensive, given the close proximity of the hotel and the Park.
The Crosslands has a small kitchen in all of the rooms, and it is very nice. They don't have a pool, but everything else is quite comfortable. It was very reasonable, although I did have a weekly rate. I don't know what they charge nightly, but it's not expensive. I would stay there again, and can recommend it with confidence.
Hope to meet some of you at Sox Fest this weekend.
You mention a pool, but really I have been to Pheonix and Tuscon three times for the Sox and Spring Training (4th this year), I have gone swimming twice. It gets cold during the night, and during the day I am watching baseball or sight seeking (Sabino Canyon, Desert Museum, East and West Suguaro National Parks)

So in my experience, a pool is not necessary at all.