PDA

View Full Version : Beltran is a MET

Soxforlife
01-09-2005, 02:11 PM
Mets and Beltran agree in principle to 7 yrs $119 mil. Just heard it on ESPN news.

NonetheLoaiza
01-09-2005, 02:14 PM
So does the fact that the Mets have signed him make him a bust?? It'll be interesting to see what he does next year. He's good enough to break that Mets FA string of busts, but who knows.

Mohoney
01-09-2005, 02:17 PM
So does the fact that the Mets have signed him make him a bust?? It'll be interesting to see what he does next year. He's good enough to break that Mets FA string of busts, but who knows.
Queens...where talent goes to die.

TornLabrum
01-09-2005, 02:18 PM
Mets and Beltran agree in principle to 7 yrs $119 mil. Just heard it on ESPN news.
So now Cubs fans are wonder if Todd Hollandsworth will make them forget Moises "I do on purpose what most guys do by accident" Alou.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-09-2005, 02:19 PM
Okay, the logjam is broken. I suspect quite a few outfielders will be moving around now that the Big Prize of 2005 has found his new home.

:nandrolone
"They had their chance to trade me and now they're stuck with me."

:jaime
"You sound just like me!"

DrCrawdad
01-09-2005, 03:03 PM
Now that the biggest name FA this off-season has signed with the Mets, I'd like to know when are all the big name FAs going to start signing with the Cubbies because of Dusty? Back when Dusty was hired Jim Hendry, Cubbie fans and all the media were talking about how all the big name, big talent FAs would now be lining up to play for the Cubbies and Dusty. It's been 2 years of Dusty, so where's the beef?

Kogs35
01-09-2005, 03:13 PM
Hey Carlos welcome to hell where you will burn your career away.

Signed your wonderful agent Scott Boras.
over under on years he will stay a met. i give it 2

DiGiSyKo
01-09-2005, 03:14 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20050109&content_id=929118&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp

Soxforlife
01-09-2005, 03:16 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1963185

Clement's beard
01-09-2005, 03:17 PM
Now that the biggest name FA this off-season has signed with the Mets, I'd like to know when are all the big name FAs going to start signing with the Cubbies because of Dusty? Back when Dusty was hired Jim Hendry, Cubbie fans and all the media were talking about how all the big name, big talent FAs would now be lining up to play for the Cubbies and Dusty. It's been 2 years of Dusty, so where's the beef?
Carlos would have signed with the cubs had they been stupid enough to pay him $119 million. Carlos Beltran is not worth that type of change and the Mets are nuts for giving it to him. I don't blame the Yankees or the Cubs for saying "no thanks".

Rocklive99
01-09-2005, 03:19 PM
LMAO that was the same exact same thing I said when I heard about this last night

Clement's beard
01-09-2005, 03:21 PM
I really think that the Astros have got to feel they got the shaft. They did everything but wipe Beltran's and Boras' rumps and it still wasn't enough. He just ruined the Astros for years to come.

DiGiSyKo
01-09-2005, 03:27 PM
I really think that the Astros have got to feel they got the shaft. They did everything but wipe Beltran's and Boras' rumps and it still wasn't enough. He just ruined the Astros for years to come.
supposedly Clemens will retire now, right?

Johnny Mostil
01-09-2005, 03:32 PM
Well, it is the borough of cemeteries . . .

Soxforlife
01-09-2005, 03:34 PM
Carlos would have signed with the cubs had they been stupid enough to pay him $119 million. Carlos Beltran is not worth that type of change and the Mets are nuts for giving it to him. I don't blame the Yankees or the Cubs for saying "no thanks".
Agreed. Those are A-Rod dollars and Beltran had one good post season but he only hit .265 in the regular season. Long term deals suck. But now the Cubs are in a whole with Sosa.... I can't see him leaving now.

Clement's beard
01-09-2005, 03:40 PM
supposedly Clemens will retire now, right?
Last I read he was undecided. I think Berkman is on the market after next year and this will probably be Bagwell and Biggio's last season. This Beltran thing hurt them badly.

Brian26
01-09-2005, 04:00 PM
Hey Carlos welcome to hell where you will burn your career away.

Signed your wonderful agent Scott Boras.
over under on years he will stay a met. i give it 2
I just don't get it. How much money can a guy have? Houston was really a great fit for Beltran- a place where he could have really become a king, with also a chance to get to the World Series. The pressure would have been less. The park is hitter friendly. For crying out loud, they were offering 100 million dollars. For a slight increase, he now has to play in the ****hole Shea Stadium in front of ****ty fans in a ****ty media environment with a team that perennially, no matter who is running the ship, fails to live up to expectations. Just seems like a terribly choice.

Brian26
01-09-2005, 04:02 PM
This Beltran thing hurt them badly.
It's hard to feel sorry for anyone in baseball- but if anyone deserves it, it's the Astros. This is the 2nd time of recent that they have been burned with a midseason rent-a-player they couldn't resign. (RJ didn't stick around after being traded there either). It's a shame they keep mortgaging their future in these trades. They really made a legitimate attempt to sign Beltran too.

dickallen15
01-09-2005, 04:38 PM
A lot of people were saying the same thing about Ozzie. If Dusty or Ozzie resembled a cash machine, it might actually be true.

dickallen15
01-09-2005, 04:40 PM
I just don't get it. How much money can a guy have? Houston was really a great fit for Beltran- a place where he could have really become a king, with also a chance to get to the World Series. The pressure would have been less. The park is hitter friendly. For crying out loud, they were offering 100 million dollars. For a slight increase, he now has to play in the ****hole Shea Stadium in front of ****ty fans in a ****ty media environment with a team that perennially, no matter who is running the ship, fails to live up to expectations. Just seems like a terribly choice.
Boras had another high profile client sign to play in the state of Texas, and he wanted to give money back so he could go to the bright lights of NYC. It may have played a role. The Astros will be dog crap in a couple of years, Beltran or no Beltran.

johnny_mostil
01-09-2005, 04:47 PM
He should have phoned up Robin Ventura, shouldn't he? :rolleyes:

SOXSINCE'70
01-09-2005, 04:48 PM
Not true.Remember those wonderful Mets teams with FA's
like Saberhagen,Bobby Bo and Vince Coleman??:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

johnny_mostil
01-09-2005, 04:49 PM
So now Cubs fans are wonder if Todd Hollandsworth will make them forget Moises "I do on purpose what most guys do by accident" Alou.
Oh, man, I forgot about that... the Cubs outfield is going to be... be...

wonderful.

TDog
01-09-2005, 05:02 PM
Because Ron Santo has such strong feelings about the Mets, I would love to hear his reaction.

Beltran isn't worth the money, of course, but as bad as the Mets have been, I've seen them in the World Series occasionally in my lifetime.

Kogs35
01-09-2005, 05:24 PM
any1 wonder if scott boras has actually ruined players marriages? when puting them in cities they shouldn't be playing?

beckett21
01-09-2005, 05:28 PM
any1 wonder if scott boras has actually ruined players marriages? when puting them in cities they shouldn't be playing?
:borass:

Marriages? Any player who puts family or personal happiness ahead of money needs to re-think his priorities. I for one won't tolerate such weakness in one of my clients.

MrRoboto83
01-09-2005, 05:30 PM
Beltran yanked the Astros chain too long, I'm sure if they had more notice that he had no desire to sign with them, they could of signed a few free agents that are now taken. i would be pissed if I were the Astros GM. Plus the fact that the Astros were basically going to give him $112 million. How much is enough?:angry:

veeter
01-09-2005, 05:32 PM
I'll bet Jermaine Dye drives in more runs than Beltran this year.

hsnterprize
01-09-2005, 05:36 PM
Well, it is the borough of cemeteries . . .Another poster said the $119 million is "A-Rod money." I couldn't agree more. And all the Texas fans were wailing in angst when the Rangers were struggling without pitching.

I know the Mets got Pedro Martinez, but if the Mets don't win the NL East...this trade will be considered a BUST...mark my words. Unless the Braves totally run away with the division and the Mets can have a respectable record as a wild-card, there's nothing short of an NL East division title that'll be good enough for the "experts".

C-Dawg
01-09-2005, 05:36 PM
But now the Cubs are in a hole with Sosa.... I can't see him leaving now.

Yes, another year with Sosa in RF will be a BEAUTIFUL thing!

Remember last spring all the talk was that the Sox should pursue Beltran.... Awww, that all seems so long ago now...

MrRoboto83
01-09-2005, 05:42 PM
That N/L east is a pretty tough division. I think Philly and Florida will be pretty decent, and don't rule out the Nationals with Frank managing magic powers. They will have a new excited fan base cheering them on

flo-B-flo
01-09-2005, 05:49 PM
But now the Cubs are in a hole with Sosa.... I can't see him leaving now. And they deserve each other.:wink:

duke of dorwood
01-09-2005, 06:19 PM
The finality of this puts thAstros back in the F/A derby. Wonder if they are Boarssed out or will they try for Ordonez

DrCrawdad
01-09-2005, 07:36 PM
A lot of people were saying the same thing about Ozzie. If Dusty or Ozzie resembled a cash machine, it might actually be true.

Who said that about Ozzy? I can tell you if someone said something, there is no way it reached the decibels it did about Dusty.

Here are some quotes from Nov. 2002:

While Dusty Baker claimed he wasn't a "Pied Piper" when he was introduced as Cubs manager last week, free-agent All-Stars suddenly are descending on general manager Jim Hendry's doorstep... - Paul Sullivan, Nov. 2002

"You have to remember, everyone wants to play for Dusty." - Jim Hendry.

Whitesox029
01-09-2005, 07:51 PM
I would have lliked to have seen Beltran sign with the astros, but that's not the most important thing. Most important thing?
Number of times Carlos Beltran will face Dumasso Marte and frenz in 2005: 0

Nick@Nite
01-09-2005, 08:16 PM
Now that Beltran is a Met, they'll finish 10 games out of first instead of 25.

SOXintheBURGH
01-09-2005, 09:07 PM
I hate how people try to compare the Mets to us all of the time. As in, "Well, the White Sox are like the Mets of Chicago, you know, everyone likes the other team but a few people like the other." I can't believe they're throwing all of this money around, and it still won't mean a thing in the NL East.

Also, I can never think of the Mets without thinking of Apu when he needed to pretend he was American.

"You are just noticing the way that I am talking to you now. Why not take a relaxed attitude towards work and watch the baseball match. The NY-Mets are my favorite squadron."

OurBitchinMinny
01-09-2005, 09:21 PM
****...now ordonez is gonna sign with the cubs

Kogs35
01-09-2005, 09:37 PM
does boras making another owner mad going to lead to a lock out in 06? hes screwed over so many teams already so i was just wondering

soltrain21
01-09-2005, 09:38 PM

Yes, I can't wait to see him gracefully run in that outfield.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-09-2005, 09:38 PM
Sure... and Green Bay is going to the Super Bowl.

RKMeibalane
01-09-2005, 09:41 PM
Who cares? He's going to suck no matter where he goes.

HoustonAstros967
01-09-2005, 10:11 PM
I was looking at Carlos Beltran's hitting stats and I was really surprised. He is really inconsistant hitting for average. One season he'll hit .300 and then the next he'll drop to .270. Alost his was the first season he hit over 30 homeruns. I realize he has a lot of potential but $119 mil worth of potential?!? I don't think so. If they Mets want to make another bad offseason move (benson being the first) then they can go right ahead. The Astros are going to find a way and they are gonna keep killing the cubs!

FedEx227
01-09-2005, 10:14 PM
****...now ordonez is gonna sign with the cubs Thank god, I heard Cubs fans (who know love Maggs and think hes the next coming of Willie Mays) talking about the awesome Cubs outfield, by putting Maggs in Left. That should be great, watching Maggs run after balls especially have major knee surgery in which he still won't say if hes healthy or not..

Patterson...Sosa...MAGGS....there will be no gap shots this year..

I was looking at Carlos Beltran's hitting stats and I was really surprised. He is really inconsistant hitting for average. One season he'll hit .300 and then the next he'll drop to .270. Alost his was the first season he hit over 30 homeruns. I realize he has a lot of potential but $119 mil worth of potential?!? I don't think so. If they Mets want to make another bad offseason move (benson being the first) then they can go right ahead. The Astros are going to find a way and they are gonna keep killing the cubs!
Yeah its really true, people are so clouded with his awesome postseason work last year, that they forget he hit .256 in Houston...IN HOUSTON, where the left field wall comes out at about 78 feet. Thought its likely his average will go up a bit because of the big outfield in Shea, he is going to have a disappointing year, because basically hes not that good...he had one great playoff run, and thats really been it for him...

wsbaseball9
01-09-2005, 10:32 PM
Agreed. Those are A-Rod dollars and Beltran had one good post season but he only hit .265 in the regular season.
are u kidding? the guy almost had a 40-40 season (38 hrs-42 sb) he drove in 104 and scored 121 plus hes one of the best defensive centerfielders in all of baseball

i think he definatley earned that money seeing that hes probly the best all-around player in baseball

FedEx227
01-09-2005, 10:45 PM
see Alex Rodriquez 2001.

darklord23
01-09-2005, 10:57 PM
man beltran is so overpaid i believe him to be the alex rodriguez of the NL

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-09-2005, 11:10 PM
While I do think Beltran's getting more money than he's worth, it's not as bad as what some guys such as Sosa, Giambi, and Manny Ramirez are making. However, those players all signed in a different baseball FA market. I'm glad the Sox decided to stay clear of Beltran and filled a bunch of other holes instead...

idseer
01-09-2005, 11:55 PM
nothing to feel sorry about for the astros. beltran probably did them a favor. i'm sure they'll find better use for that money.

OEO Magglio
01-09-2005, 11:59 PM
nothing to feel sorry about for the astros. beltran probably did them a favor. i'm sure they'll find better use for that money.
Maybe in the next 6 years but he screwed them over for this year, that's for sure.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-10-2005, 01:34 AM
So I guess this kills the possibility of Beltran choosing the White Sox over more lucrative offers because we are the best fit for him huh?

Hitmen77
01-10-2005, 09:09 AM
Just like all Chicagoans, I am just stunned that Beltran chose a higher salary over a chance to play at the hallowed grounds at Clark and Addison. I thought that playing for the Cubs is every player's dream job and that they would choose the Cubs over a team like the Mets any day.

Hey, this might be teal for me, but this statement would not be teal for alot of Cub fans or the Cub-loving media in Chicago.

Viva Medias B's
01-11-2005, 12:16 AM
Check out the front and back pages of Monday's New York Post (www.nypost.com) and New York Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com). They both have nice pictures of Carlos Beltran as if NYC is welcoming him with open arms. Just wait until Beltran is hitting below .300 and he strikes out in the 9th inning with the tying run in scoring position. I wonder how friendly those NY tabloids will be then.

Nick@Nite
01-11-2005, 07:08 AM
ESPN's Mike & Mike are saying that Boras was calling the Yankees at the 11th-hour telling them Beltran would have taken less money to be a Yankee, versus being a Met. The Yankees declined because their payroll is maxed out.

It's comforting to know that the Yankees 200M-plus payroll may outstip the GNP of Madagascar, but not Finland.

Rocklive99
01-18-2005, 02:30 AM
:hawk

Mercy!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1969134

NEW YORK -- The Mets signed Carlos Beltran to play center field for the next seven years. They'll be paying him for the next 14.
New York will not make the final payment on Beltran's $119 million contract until July 1, 2018, according to details of the agreement that were obtained by The Associated Press.
He will be 41 by the time he receives all the money, which will be paid each July 1 starting in 2012 in yearly installments of $3,142,857 plus interest that will accrue at the rate of 1.7175 percent annually.
Beltran will get an array of perks as part of the contract, including a hotel suite on all road trips and a 15-person luxury suite for all home games, although he must buy tickets for the suite for any postseason games. In the most unusual clause of the deal, the Mets agreed to lease for Beltran an ocular enhancer machine, a device that throws colored, numbered tennis balls to batters at 150 mph or faster.

MUsoxfan
01-18-2005, 02:33 AM
Interesting. For some reason I thought players got checks on the 15th and 30th of the month. I'm serious

MisterB
01-18-2005, 10:39 AM
:hawk

Mercy!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1969134

Hmmm. So much for not deferring money more than 2 years past the end of the player's contract. I guess in the CBA the term 'fully funded' just means all the deferred money must be in the escrow account no later than 2 years after the contract, not paid out no later than 2 years after.

Ol' No. 2
01-18-2005, 10:54 AM
Hmmm. So much for not deferring money more than 2 years past the end of the player's contract. I guess in the CBA the term 'fully funded' just means all the deferred money must be in the escrow account no later than 2 years after the contract, not paid out no later than 2 years after.That's exactly what it means. I'm a little perplexed about the interest rate, though. The CBA specifies the interest rate in Article XV(K):
A uniform annual interest rate, equal to the total of the prime interest rate in effect at The J.P. Morgan Chase Bank on the immediately preceding November 1, plus one percent, rounded to the nearest full percentage point, shall be applied with respect to the following matters:Unless the rate of 1.7175 is for accrual before the funding date.