PDA

View Full Version : Tigers interested in Magglio.

Gosox1917
01-08-2005, 09:03 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20050108&content_id=928998&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp

Says Tigers have only talked to Boras and a deal hasn't even been offered yet but they are interested nevertheless. IMO, maggs would have to be pretty desperate to go to a pitchers park where his production would drop off even more in addition to coming off a season ending injury. Also, would he be healthy enough to roam the giant outfield of Comerica Park?

buehrle4cy05
01-08-2005, 09:25 PM
Detroit also was interested in Glaus and Beltran, didn't end up with Glaus and won't get Beltran...unluckily, Maggs will go to the Cubs after:
1. Beltran signs with Mets
2. Delgado signs with Orioles

Beltran watch: 1:37 to go for Houston to win the Central

munchman33
01-08-2005, 09:32 PM
Detroit also was interested in Glaus and Beltran, didn't end up with Glaus and won't get Beltran...unluckily, Maggs will go to the Cubs after:
1. Beltran signs with Mets
2. Delgado signs with Orioles

Beltran watch: 1:37 to go for Houston to win the Central
Don't be so sure about #2. Apparently, Delgado has drawn a 3 year, $30 million dollar offer from the Marlins (according to espn insider), who are very close to his Puerto Rico home.

gosox41
01-09-2005, 09:18 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20050108&content_id=928998&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp

Says Tigers have only talked to Boras and a deal hasn't even been offered yet but they are interested nevertheless. IMO, maggs would have to be pretty desperate to go to a pitchers park where his production would drop off even more in addition to coming off a season ending injury. Also, would he be healthy enough to roam the giant outfield of Comerica Park?
Magglio will go where the money is. Hoepfuly it's not the Cubs.

Bob

John Barrett
01-09-2005, 11:38 AM
The more silence goes on .. I am begining to think that Magglio will not be healthy enough to see a MLB field all year or at least til all-star break

Erik The Red
01-09-2005, 11:53 AM
Don't be so sure about #2. Apparently, Delgado has drawn a 3 year, $30 million dollar offer from the Marlins (according to espn insider), who are very close to his Puerto Rico home. Wow, talk about a paycut.

Unregistered
01-09-2005, 01:37 PM
Don't be so sure about #2. Apparently, Delgado has drawn a 3 year, $30 million dollar offer from the Marlins (according to espn insider), who are very close to his Puerto Rico home. If Beltran wasn't available this year, this a move I would totally expect to see from the Mets. Delgado definately has "Mo Vaughn-type bust" written all over him.

Luckily the Orioles are still available to pay the guy some absurd amount of money for him to be injured half the time for the next 5 years...

PaleHoseGeorge
01-09-2005, 01:45 PM
Let's please remember Magglio Ordonez is damaged goods and no amount of posturing by either him or his sleazeball agent can change this fact.

Magglio has already hurt his market value immeasurably for refusing to give the Sox a medical review, then claiming he would workout for interested teams at the winter meetings, then reneging on that promise.

Give him plenty of rope. He's doing a great job of hanging himself.
:thumbsup:

Any N.L. team stupid enough to offer him more $ to play outfield, than a slightly-less stupid A.L. team offers him to play DH, deserves the financial albatross this piece of **** proves himself to be.

Go ahead, Cubs. Make him an offer. Step right into that trap.
:kukoo:

:nandrolone
"Hey, where's the love?"

JKryl
01-09-2005, 01:57 PM
Forget it, the Tigers can't afford a Borass client, unless it's the likes of Crede.

batmanZoSo
01-09-2005, 02:46 PM

Right field was never that big in Comerica. And they have moved the left field fence in about 20 feet with that goofy cyclone fence.

I'd prefer he go to a team that we rarely or never play. Tigers or cubs would be bad.

Brian26
01-09-2005, 02:47 PM
Magglio will go where the money is. Hoepfuly it's not the Cubs.

Bob
Baseball in this town is stressful enough every summer, and it seems to have been getting more and more stressful of late. I don't care where the heck Mags ends up as long as it isn't on the north side with the rest of the crybabies.

Brian26
01-09-2005, 02:50 PM
Right field was never that big in Comerica. And they have moved the left field fence in about 20 feet with that goofy cyclone fence.

I'd prefer he go to a team that we rarely or never play. Tigers or cubs would be bad.
I don't mind us playing against him. I just want any possible future Mags' success rubbing-in-our-faces to be minimized as much as possible. If I've got to walk down the street and ride the train everyday with Fratboys and Trixies wearing powder blue jerseys with "Ordonez" on the back of them while Mags possibly returns from his injury, life is going to suck. Who cares about Detroit.

Brian26
01-09-2005, 02:57 PM

I read that this winter they are installing permanent seats in left behind the cyclone fence and the previous outfield wall. There's a chance the left field wall may come in even closer now.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-09-2005, 03:05 PM
Any American League team dumb enough to sign Magglio as an OUTFIELDER doesn't deserve to keep the money they'll waste signing him.

Chisox003
01-09-2005, 03:17 PM
Now that Beltran is with the Mets (which keeps him away from the Flubs), I hope the Marlins sign Delgado, which leaves the Orioles to get Mags....Id hate to see Mags go to the Cubs, and Id hate it just as much to see him with the Tigers and have to play him 19 times...

santo=dorf
01-09-2005, 03:17 PM
Any American League team dumb enough to sign Magglio as an OUTFIELDER doesn't deserve to keep the money they'll waste signing him.That's why I wonder if the Yanks will burn the money to put him in left and move Matsui in CF. I know Maggs and A-Rod are great friends and work out together, and wasn't there some controversy last season when a paper reported (Cubune?) that Maggs would be interested in playing with A-Rod in the Bronx after he became a free agent? :?:

dickallen15
01-09-2005, 03:35 PM
That's why I wonder if the Yanks will burn the money to put him in left and move Matsui in CF. I know Maggs and A-Rod are great friends and work out together, and wasn't there some controversy last season when a paper reported (Cubune?) that Maggs would be interested in playing with A-Rod in the Bronx after he became a free agent? :?:
That's possible, but I think the Yankees are getting toward the end of their financial rope, so it would probably have to be an incentive laden deal. Between salaries, revenue sharing, and the 40% tax they are going to have to pay for being over the threshold, they will be shelling out more than $300 million this year. They aren't going to be able to get under the threshold anytime soon, so that penalties percentage gets higher every year. I look for the Yankees to be a lot more fiscally conservative the next few seasons, as far as signing big money free agents, and throwing cash into trades.

johnny_mostil
01-09-2005, 03:37 PM
Any American League team dumb enough to sign Magglio as an OUTFIELDER doesn't deserve to keep the money they'll waste signing him.
That's the problem with the Tigers signing him, it would mean they'd have two DHs (Ordonez and Dmitri Young) if Ordonez' condition is chronic or degenerative. You are spot on that whoever signs him has to have a contigency plan for what to do if he can't play the field. If his knee condition is chronic or degenerative, he can't be counted on to play first base either.

That said, that eliminates the entire NL, obviously. My money's on the Orioles, they are the most likely fit at this point, unless they do sign Delgado. Then the Rangers might step in with a lowball offer, they're still looking for a DH -- why, I have NO idea with Adrian Gonzalez and Mark Texiera just crying to fill 1B and DH and with Kevin Mench cluttering up the OF.

johnny_mostil
01-09-2005, 03:44 PM
That's possible, but I think the Yankees are getting toward the end of their financial rope, so it would probably have to be an incentive laden deal. Between salaries, revenue sharing, and the 40% tax they are going to have to pay for being over the threshold, they will be shelling out more than $300 million this year. They aren't going to be able to get under the threshold anytime soon, so that penalties percentage gets higher every year. I look for the Yankees to be a lot more fiscally conservative the next few seasons, as far as signing big money free agents, and throwing cash into trades.
Yeah, which will be funny since they are going to start slipping pretty much on April 1st. If Kenny Williams gets a B for the offseason, I bet Cashman ends up with an F-minus.

There is an excellent chance The Ugly Unit will get hurt.
Mussina is losing effectiveness, as is Brown.
Jaret Wright? Are you kidding me?
Pavano has had one good season in his entire career, the rest is Jon Garland Sr.
Rivera is looking mortal lately... if he loses the umps, he's toast.
The right side of their infield, Womack and Tino and mini-Giambi, could be awful.
Their outfielders are older than Mel Brooks.
They just finished gutting what was left of a farm system to get Johnson.
They have no reserves and they can only keep 25 of their 1998 All Star Team around without waiving people.
The Yankees could not just slip, they could crash and burn. I think it would be absolutely hilarious to see Frankensteinbrenner's Monster lose 81 games and finish third while spending all that money. :wink:

Lip Man 1
01-09-2005, 06:51 PM
Johnny:

Won't happen in a million years.

Lip

johnny_mostil
01-09-2005, 06:59 PM
Johnny:

Won't happen in a million years.

Lip
No, but they won't be as good as last year. They are doing too many dumb things. A-Rod etc are too good for them to slip too far... yet.

NonetheLoaiza
01-09-2005, 07:11 PM
That Yankees team is way too good to lose anything close to 81 games. The pitching could perform terribly all year, but they can still win games with offense. As we have seen the past couple years, I think the Yanks will dominate the regular season, in a manner of speaking, but actually crash and burn in the playoffs.