PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Beltran Watch...

gf2020
01-08-2005, 07:14 PM
Beltran has until 11 pm tonight to sign with the Astros or he can't sign with them until May 1.

ESPN's Buster Olney is JUST reporting on ESPNnews that he talked to a baseball executive who said Beltran will resign with the Astros.

NSSoxFan2
01-08-2005, 07:21 PM
Beltran should stay in Houston. And if he didn't decide on the Astros, then the Mets. Of course, I would say the Sox, but I AM NOT COMPLAINING ONE BIT.

RKMeibalane
01-08-2005, 07:31 PM
I hope he stays in Houston. The Mets organization is a disaster, and it's only going to worse now that they've tied up so much money with Pedro's contract.

Whitesox029
01-08-2005, 09:23 PM
Plus he still gets to face Cub pitching 19 times as opposed to 6 if he stays in Houston. He kills them just like he did us when he was with KC.

buehrle4cy05
01-08-2005, 10:29 PM
Beltran's worst career move would be to play in a big market where every move he makes (on and off the field) would be scrutinized...Houston is a great place for him to play, plus if he stays there, then the Rocket comes back and wins ANOTHER Cy Young...

Jjav829
01-08-2005, 10:32 PM
An hour and a half left in this. This has to be the most anticipated deadline for a free agent in a while. I think Beltran wants to go back to Houston. But will Boras let him? Kinda sad that we actually have to question whether an agent will work for what his player wants, but it is Boras...

Meanwhile I have my people working the Houston airports to try to overhear something about Beltran.

bhayes520
01-08-2005, 10:36 PM
who would want to play in new york, especially compared to houston, i mean......who wants to listen to yankees bitch about other teams bitching about how they spend too much money, the mets bitch about being forgotten about, (which many times in rightly deserved), and i would venture a guess (though never living in either place) that houston is a much nicer city climate wise, the yankers :dtroll: can;t offer that much more money than the 'stros, plus, at some point, don't you think that the money all ends up running together, i mean....when you are contemplating whether to sign for 114 million or 115 million, it is getting a little out of hand (cough, A-Rod, cough)

Viva Medias B's
01-08-2005, 10:38 PM
One advantage Beltran would have in Houston: No Texas State Income Tax.

bhayes520
01-08-2005, 10:41 PM
now we are thinking good, i mean, honestly, the only other state i can think of that does that is ALASKA!!! and they still don't have a baseball team, maybe they could send the senators there....but seriously, if there is no income tax in texas, then a smaller deal in texas could be worth the same in new york after taxes

Viva Medias B's
01-08-2005, 10:58 PM
It has just been reported by ChiSoxTony that Carlos Beltran, not Ron Turner, has been hired by the Bears as the new OC.

Nick@Nite
01-08-2005, 11:00 PM
If I had to choose between New York City or Houston, it'd definitely be NYC. That way, my visual-senses wouldn't be pummeled by the sight of 'don't mess with Texas' crap on t-shirts, shot glasses, bumper stickers, ad nausea.

Jjav829
01-09-2005, 12:00 AM
It's 11:00. Do you know where Carlos Beltran is? :?:

The deadline has hit. I guess we wait now to find out if Carlos chose the Astros before the deadline passed.

WinningUgly!
01-09-2005, 12:11 AM
It's 11:00. Do you know where Carlos Beltran is? :?:

The deadline has hit. I guess we wait now to find out if Carlos chose the Astros before the deadline passed. All I know is that he's not in Houston, anymore. :tongue:

Linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=mlb&id=1962798)

Flight #24
01-09-2005, 12:12 AM
All I know is that he's not in Houston, anymore. :tongue:
Yup, ESPN reporting that the deadline passed and he's still negotiating with the Mets.

Jjav829
01-09-2005, 12:12 AM
All I know is that he's not in Houston, anymore. :tongue:Unfortunately, he isn't. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1962630)

Looks like the Mets become the frontrunners now. Will the Yankees jump in? I sure hope the Cubs don't.

Flight #24
01-09-2005, 12:15 AM
Unfortunately, he isn't. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1962630)

Looks like the Mets become the frontrunners now. Will the Yankees jump in? I sure hope the Cubs don't.
I for one hope no one else jumps in and he signs with the Mets for essentially the same $$$ as he would have had in Houston. I then hope that he's miserable in NY and blames Bora$$ for playing chicken to try and get more $$$ when he was happy in Houston.

In truth, he'd have no one to blame but himself, but it would be nice to see one of these gambits backfire.

Jjav829
01-09-2005, 12:18 AM
I for one hope no one else jumps in and he signs with the Mets for essentially the same $$$ as he would have had in Houston. I then hope that he's miserable in NY and blames Bora$$ for playing chicken to try and get more $$$ when he was happy in Houston.

In truth, he'd have no one to blame but himself, but it would be nice to see one of these gambits backfire.
Boras is wetting himself right now at the thought of being able to play the Yankees and Mets off each other to get a huge contract. It's likely he will be miserable wherever he signs now. He doesn't like New York but his greedy agent couldn't care less about that. Here comes the talk about a "mystery" or "secret" team jumping into the race. Let the Boras lies continue!

Kogs35
01-09-2005, 12:20 AM
Unfortunately, he isn't. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1962630)

i know this off topic but the ap messed up the illinois recap. hopefully this is wrong. but i guess im just dreaming. man i really hate scott boras, i sure hope the mets love bidding agianst them selves,yankees, and hopefully not the flubbers, and i hope boras losses his job because he is and will always be the devil. how about helping people that dont have money like u scott?:angry: . your living a life of luxury u could give up the money. y do u screw up teams lives for your own good? why because your a piece of garbage thats why. You are the lowest of the lowes scott. and i hope beltran chokes and hates ny and then tells borass to hit the road!!

Flight #24
01-09-2005, 12:22 AM
Boras is wetting himself right now at the thought of being able to play the Yankees and Mets off each other to get a huge contract. It's likely he will be miserable wherever he signs now. He doesn't like New York but his greedy agent couldn't care less about that. Here comes the talk about a "mystery" or "secret" team jumping into the race. Let the Boras lies continue!
By the way - how screwed are the Astros? Berkman out with an ACL, Beltran gone, and I'd guess Clemens gone as well. There aren't a ton of OF options out there to replace these guys, Carlos screwed them not only by declining their offer, but by waiting this long where there aren't really any marquee guys left for them to target.

He may have liked Houston, but I'd bet he's going to have a tough time ever going back there.....

gf2020
01-09-2005, 12:23 AM
Man. I almost don't know what to say.

This is further proof of Scott Boras' evil influence on the game of baseball. Beltran will be miserable in New York.

As an pseudo-Astros fan, I am incredibly disapointed. I still hope Clemens gives it a go.

You want to see depression?

http://p078.ezboard.com/fevilwontwinfrm3

Clement's beard
01-09-2005, 12:24 AM
Well, I have a very sneaky feeling that Beltran, Boras and Jim Hendry will be meeting next week. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!

winning ugly 72
01-09-2005, 12:25 AM
i thought for sure he would stay with houston.

Jjav829
01-09-2005, 12:26 AM
By the way - how screwed are the Astros? Berkman out with an ACL, Beltran gone, and I'd guess Clemens gone as well. There aren't a ton of OF options out there to replace these guys, Carlos screwed them not only by declining their offer, but by waiting this long where there aren't really any marquee guys left for them to target.

He may have liked Houston, but I'd bet he's going to have a tough time ever going back there.....Yeah they certainly look to be in trouble. Biggo and Bagwell are both another year older. Berkman likely won't be fully healthy the whole year. Kent is gone. Their 3-4 right now is Bagwell and....Jason Lane? Morgan Ensberg? Yuck. They lost Wade Miller because of Beltran. A healthy Pettitte will help, but even if Clemens returns, they are going to have a tough time scoring runs. I wouldn't be surprised if they make a run at Maggs. They need help badly. Whether it's from Maggs, Jeromy Burnitz, or whoever. I know they've been linked in trade talks for Randy Winn and Jose Cruz Jr., but neither of those players helps their offense significantly. Tough situation there.

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-09-2005, 12:28 AM
No need to worry for us sox fans! We all know from living in chicago that the CUBune won't fork out the money for beltran, why should they when 3mil fratboys and people from iowa will fill up wrigley no matter who's on the cubs? :smile: However, it's a big blow to the Astros. They had a great team last year that stepped it up big time in the 2nd half and was great in the playoffs. I was looking forward to seeing them crush the cubs in '05. Hopefully they'll be able to do that without beltran!

Jjav829
01-09-2005, 12:30 AM

This is further proof of Scott Boras' evil influence on the game of baseball. Beltran will be miserable in New York.

As an pseudo-Astros fan, I am incredibly disapointed. I still hope Clemens gives it a go.

http://p078.ezboard.com/fevilwontwinfrm3
I've been reading that board all night while watching the NFL playoffs and waiting for Beltran updates. I feel real bad for those fans right now. To hear that they were working on a contract but ran out of time is crap. Don't wait until the last minute. But with Boras, it's likely they never had a choice. Boras screwed the Astros, their fans, and Beltran here. What a prick.

HoustonAstros967
01-09-2005, 12:31 AM

http://p078.ezboard.com/fevilwontwinfrm3 (http://p078.ezboard.com/fevilwontwinfrm3%5B/QUOTE)
Scott Boras has ruined the game of baseball. He ruined the careers of Carlos Beltran and Magglio. Hes greedy and he makes everyone he comes in contact with just as greedy. Carlos Beltran is going to hate it in New York and if he goes to the Cubs hes going to get :supernana: booed every at bat. Houston was the only place for him and Scott Boras took it away from. Scott Boras ruined the Astros season. He took away their chance to sign a center-fielder and he may have taked away their chance to re-sign Roger Clemens.

Erik The Red
01-09-2005, 01:12 AM
Buster Olney is on ESPNEWS right now saying that the Houston Chronicle is reporting that Beltran will sign with the Mets.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-09-2005, 01:22 AM
Well if the rumors about Roger Clemens waiting for Beltran's decision to make his own is true, MAYBE THE SCORE CAN GO TO ROGER CLEMENS' HOME AND OFFER HIM A HUMMER IF HE COMES BACK AND PLAYS FOR THE WHITE SOX???

I said Beltran would stay in Houston, apparently I'm wrong, dang.
That won't stop me from making these other predictions;
Beltran = Met
Ordonez = Astro
Hollandsworth = Cub starting LF
Sosa = Cub
Clemens = White Sox, if The Score markets us well enough

BREAKING NEWS; MY COUSIN IN WASHINGTON IS TELLING ME THAT A LOCAL RADIO STATION IS REPORTING THAT THE NATIONALS WILL MAKE BELTRAN A 10 YEAR, $180 MILLION OFFER TOMORROW.

ilsox7
01-09-2005, 01:31 AM
Buster Olney is on ESPNEWS right now saying that the Houston Chronicle is reporting that Beltran will sign with the Mets.
That would be the same Buster Olney who 4 hours ago reported Beltran was signing with the Astros.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-09-2005, 01:34 AM
That would be the same Buster Olney who 4 hours ago reported Beltran was signing with the Astros.Someone prank called him. I think it was Peter Gammons...

Clement's beard
01-09-2005, 01:36 AM
The only thing any of us know for sure is that: Houston, you have serious problems. This will kill them in the NL central and most likely assures the Cardinals, Braves, Cubs and Dodgers of making the playoffs. BorASSSS is a piece of work.

Beltran also can expect dollar bills to be chucked at him when he returns to the juice box.

ilsox7
01-09-2005, 01:49 AM
The only thing any of us know for sure is that: Houston, you have serious problems. This will kill them in the NL central and most likely assures the Cardinals, Braves, Cubs and Dodgers of making the playoffs. BorASSSS is a piece of work.

Beltran also can expect dollar bills to be chucked at him when he returns to the juice box.Calling the NL playoffs in January? Wow.

Clement's beard
01-09-2005, 02:01 AM
The NL only has 4 teams that have LEGIT shots at making the playoffs now that Beltran ditched Houston. Out of these teams who would you pick?

Cardinals
Braves
Dodgers
Cubs
Giants
Mets
Astros

Those are your top teams in the NL in no particular order. The Giants, Mets and Astros need serious luck to have any chance at all. As a matter of fact, the Cards and Cubs are the favorites to win the pennant according to the MGM. This Beltran situation killed Houston.

Clement's beard
01-09-2005, 02:09 AM
You can add San Diego to the list as well but they are marginal at best.

WinningUgly!
01-09-2005, 02:10 AM
The NL only has 4 teams that have LEGIT shots at making the playoffs now that Beltran ditched Houston. Out of these teams who would you pick?

Cardinals
Braves
Dodgers
Cubs
Giants
Mets
Astros

Those are your top teams in the NL in no particular order. The Giants, Mets and Astros need serious luck to have any chance at all. As a matter of fact, the Cards and Cubs are the favorites to win the pennant according to the MGM. This Beltran situation killed Houston. I wouldn't totally dismiss the Marlins, Padres, Phillies or D-Backs.

SomebodyToldMe
01-09-2005, 02:10 AM
Ordonez = Astro

That could happen. The Stros need help in that outfield and they might seek it in Maggs.

Clement's beard
01-09-2005, 02:13 AM
I wouldn't totally dismiss the Marlins, Padres, Phillies or D-Backs.
Maybe the Padres. The Philles are a joke and the Marlins lost Pavano, which will hurt them. The D-backs? I doubt it. It's seems pretty clear in the NL as far as viable playoff contenders.

Clement's beard
01-09-2005, 02:16 AM
Great thoughts by these Astro fans. They hit the nail on the head.

http://www.chron.com/content/chronicle/sports/soundingboardform.html

OEO Magglio
01-09-2005, 02:20 AM

Beltran also can expect dollar bills to be chucked at him when he returns to the juice box.
The mets and cubs are pretty close as of right now and if the Mets sign Beltran that might just give them a good shot to do some things. Also the Marlins lost Pavano but they added Lieter.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-09-2005, 02:38 AM
I wouldn't totally dismiss the Marlins, Padres, Phillies or D-Backs.
Especially if they get Carlos Delgado.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-09-2005, 02:40 AM

Cardinals
Braves
Dodgers
Cubs
Giants
Mets
Astros

Those are your top teams in the NL in no particular order. The Giants, Mets and Astros need serious luck to have any chance at all. As a matter of fact, the Cards and Cubs are the favorites to win the pennant according to the MGM. This Beltran situation killed Houston.
It's simple math, the Cardinals are the odds on favorite. They are the reigning NL Champions are they not? Until they are dethroned they have to be the favorites. What's really got me worried is how quiet the Cubs have been this offseason. Something seems REAL fishy. I don't like it.

Unregistered
01-09-2005, 04:55 AM
Apparently ESPNNews and the Houston Chronicle are reporting that Beltran will sign with the Mets. A Boras client signing a huge deal with a mediocre team? What a change of pace!

Fredsox
01-09-2005, 07:59 AM
I don't think the Astros will just lay down and die over this. Ordonez is supposedly talking to them and the Tigers. I would love to see Maggs go to the Astros, perhaps they can convince Clemens to come back, and then they're back in the game. That way they'd screw the Cubs too :tongue:, who are undoubtedly counting on Ordonez in left field.

See? The glass is half full, not half empty.

gosox41
01-09-2005, 10:12 AM
Apparently ESPNNews and the Houston Chronicle are reporting that Beltran will sign with the Mets. A Boras client signing a huge deal with a mediocre team? What a change of pace!
So much for Carlos making winning a top priority. I understand the money is a big factor but if Houston offers $96 mill with no state income tax(as has been reported) and the Mets offer $112 mill but have a state income tax, the difference in actual money received by Beltran can'tbe all that much. This coming from a guy who 1. supposedly loved Houston and the Astros clubhouse and 2. was one game away from the World Series.

I don't know the tax rates in NY state but it's got to narrow the gap a little bit. Hopefully the Mets will be stuck in suckiness for awhile.

Bob

Kogs35
01-09-2005, 10:39 AM
So much for Carlos making winning a top priority. I understand the money is a big factor but if Houston offers $96 mill with no state income tax(as has been reported) and the Mets offer $112 mill but have a state income tax, the difference in actual money received by Beltran can'tbe all that much. This coming from a guy who 1. supposedly loved Houston and the Astros clubhouse and 2. was one game away from the World Series.

I don't know the tax rates in NY state but it's got to narrow the gap a little bit. Hopefully the Mets will be stuck in suckiness for awhile.

Bob
ny state taxes are high

Kogs35
01-09-2005, 10:40 AM
if borass makes enough owners mad any1 see a lockout in 06?