PDA

View Full Version : Internet rumor: Ray Durham? (ChiSoxTony's cousin?)

DickAllen72
01-08-2005, 01:00 PM
I don't know how true this is, but a poster on another Sox forum who apparently lives in SF claims a radio station out there is reporting that the Giants are talking to the White Sox about Ray Durham.

I haven't been able to confirm this anywhere else on the Web. Has anyone else heard about this? Thoughts or comments??

I wouldn't mind seeing Ray back here if we don't have to give up too much for him, but with the money he makes, we'd be much better off with Polanco, assuming we could get him for the same talent in return.

JUribe1989
01-08-2005, 01:02 PM
I would be thrilled to see Ray back in a Sox uniform. I watched him hit lead off home runs all the time last year, except now he wouldn't have to be a lead off hitter here. I hope it's not a rumor.

Palehose13
01-08-2005, 01:15 PM
I don't know how true this is, but a poster on another Sox forum who apparently lives in SF claims a radio station out there is reporting that the Giants are talking to the White Sox about Ray Durham.

I haven't been able to confirm this anywhere else on the Web. Has anyone else heard about this? Thoughts or comments??

I wouldn't mind seeing Ray back here if we don't have to give up too much for him, but with the money he makes, we'd be much better off with Polanco, assuming we could get him for the same talent in return.
For who?

Mohoney
01-08-2005, 01:23 PM
If they're reluctant to give Iguchi the extra $600,000 he wants, I don't see how they're going to add Durham.

RKMeibalane
01-08-2005, 01:29 PM
I'd love to have him back, but only if he's willing to take a pay-cut.

johnny_mostil
01-08-2005, 01:58 PM
If they're reluctant to give Iguchi the extra $600,000 he wants, I don't see how they're going to add Durham.
There'd be a check from SF attached.

You know, there could be something to this. Sabean is widely known for making weird moves, the Giants have a lot of money, and the White Sox seem to smell a little blood in the water in the division.

johnny_mostil
01-08-2005, 02:00 PM

SO what happened? Suddenly people are talking about the White Sox without always using the word "cheap".

soltrain21
01-08-2005, 02:01 PM
Having Ray-Ray in the two-hole would be awesome.

Mohoney
01-08-2005, 02:03 PM

You know, there could be something to this. Sabean is widely known for making weird moves, the Giants have a lot of money, and the White Sox seem to smell a little blood in the water in the division.
How big of a check and what do we give up?

Ol' No. 2
01-08-2005, 02:10 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing Ray back here if we don't have to give up too much for him, but with the money he makes, we'd be much better off with Polanco, assuming we could get him for the same talent in return.Was the original source, by any chance, Chisoxtony?

SomebodyToldMe
01-08-2005, 02:13 PM
Was the original source, by any chance, Chisoxtony?
If that's the case, Uribe better get ready to give his number back to Ray Ray!

johnny_mostil
01-08-2005, 02:15 PM
How big of a check and what do we give up?
No info except a rumor attributed to KNBR out in Fogland. It's hard to guess given the fact that Sabean and KW are involved, too, it may be wacky... just a mendacious thought: Harris & Garland.

OEO Magglio
01-08-2005, 02:17 PM
No info except a rumor attributed to KNBR out in Fogland. It's hard to guess given the fact that Sabean and KW are involved, too, it may be wacky... just a mendacious thought: Harris & Garland.
No chance on trading Garland.

Palehose13
01-08-2005, 02:18 PM
No chance on trading Garland. That's what I was thinking, unless KW has something up his sleeve for Vasquez...but I like this team the way it is. I don't want it shaken up with a couple of trades.

johnny_mostil
01-08-2005, 02:19 PM
No chance on trading Garland.
Everett! How about Everett! The money almost works!

doublem23
01-08-2005, 02:22 PM
Hey, they did move the fences in.

:ray
I'd already been the all-time leader in home runs for a second baseman!

munchman33
01-08-2005, 02:26 PM
Everett! How about Everett! The money almost works!
Everett, Willie Harris, and a low level prospect. And call it a day.

OEO Magglio
01-08-2005, 02:32 PM
and where do they play everet?? They already have enough outfielders that can't move.

depy48
01-08-2005, 02:32 PM
:hawk

"i love to watch ray run"
"take off and go, sugar ray"

DVsoxfan
01-08-2005, 02:33 PM
Could you post a link to the message board you heard this on??

I'd sure love to see lil Ray Ray back...he'd look darn good in that 2 hole

johnny_mostil
01-08-2005, 02:33 PM
OK, think about it. What problems do the Giants have? I looked at their team and they are a bit of a mess. They got Alou to hit behind Bonds and theoretically cut his IBB count under a zillion.

SouthSideHitman
01-08-2005, 02:36 PM
Apparently San Fransisco radio station KNBR is reporting that the Sox are intersted in reaquiring Ray Durham. Interesting. He'd be more pricey than Iguchi or Cora, but his productivity is a virtual lock, and he's an old face and a switch hitter. I just wonder what the Sox would have to give up to get him.

munchman33
01-08-2005, 02:48 PM
and where do they play everet?? They already have enough outfielders that can't move.
The collective age of their outfield is something like 38. Everett can play any of those positions, as someone is gonna get a day off pretty much every day.

JoseCanseco6969
01-08-2005, 02:59 PM

absolutely not! let him stay in SF. I'd much rather pick up a Cora for much cheaper and without having to trade a starter

voodoochile
01-08-2005, 03:01 PM
For who?
Willie Harris and some minor leaguers? Just a guess...

voodoochile
01-08-2005, 03:02 PM
Durham would look great hitting in the two-hole.

Chisox003
01-08-2005, 03:06 PM
Seeing Ray Ray back would be great, but it all depends on who we are giving....If Everett goes, who fills in for Frank while hes out? Timo?

I wouldnt give too much up for Ray, he has been cursed with injuries since going to SF...That said Id still love seeing him hit in that 2 hole...

Iguchi? Cora? Polanco? Durham? Who will it be!!!!

johnny_mostil
01-08-2005, 03:13 PM
Seeing Ray Ray back would be great, but it all depends on who we are giving....If Everett goes, who fills in for Frank while hes out? Timo?

I wouldnt give too much up for Ray, he has been cursed with injuries since going to SF...That said Id still love seeing him hit in that 2 hole...

Iguchi? Cora? Polanco? Durham? Who will it be!!!!
And in the end... the 2B will be... Willie Harris... :tongue:

PaleHoseGeorge
01-08-2005, 03:13 PM
This one smells to high heaven... all we need is ChiSoxTony's cellphone and Kruzer's cousin and all the pieces will fit.

Until you get a *credible* source, this is nothing to get excited about.

OEO Magglio
01-08-2005, 03:15 PM
This one smells to high heaven... all we need is ChiSoxTony's cellphone and Kruzer's cousin and all the pieces will fit.

Until you get a *credible* source, this is nothing to get excited about.
It's a credible source PHG but it is just a rumor.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-08-2005, 03:16 PM
It's a credible source PHG but it is just a rumor. Who? Some poster telling us what he allegedly heard on a radio station nobody else can hear?
:?:

Don't make me laugh...
:roflmao:

NUCatsFan
01-08-2005, 03:21 PM
Who? Some poster telling us what he allegedly heard on a radio station nobody else can hear?
:?:
I will sacrifice myself and start listening to KNBR, just to see if I can hear them talk about the rumor.

The things I do for you guys. :D:

FarWestChicago
01-08-2005, 03:23 PM
I will sacrifice myself and start listening to KNBR, just to see if I can hear them talk about the rumor.I listen to KNBR on my morning and afternoon commutes. I didn't hear anything yesterday, but I don't cover a lot of time.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-08-2005, 03:24 PM
I will sacrifice myself and start listening to KNBR, just to see if I can hear them talk about the rumor.

The things I do for you guys. :D:
You're a good man, NU. Report back here in an hour.
:thumbsup:

So what is it they program, soft jazz? Oldies? Sportsblab?
:redneck

FarWestChicago
01-08-2005, 03:26 PM
:redneckSportsblab.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-08-2005, 03:28 PM
Sportsblab.
That may or may not be credible. :cool:

:ass
"Even I can't believe what I say!"

NUCatsFan
01-08-2005, 03:29 PM
You're a good man, NU. Report back here in an hour.
:thumbsup:

:redneck
They've gone to ESPN Radio national programming now. Will tune in every so often. If not, perhaps we drop a line to one of the local hosts and ask if he has heard a rumor.

Does this mean I get a promotion? :D:

FarWestChicago
01-08-2005, 03:32 PM
That may or may not be credible. :cool:

:ass
"Even I can't believe what I say!"They don't really have anybody like the above assclown. They have a sister station that's for more of that stuff:

KNBR (http://www.knbr.com/)

PaleHoseGeorge
01-08-2005, 03:33 PM
Does this mean I get a promotion? :D:
You're about 800 posts shy of a promotion, but keep it up!
:wink:

Clembasbal
01-08-2005, 03:44 PM
Heck give up Grilli and one of the pitchers that was brought up sometime during the span of last year.

I say, if we have to give up Garland it won't be that great of a deal. Unless again, SF eats up a ton of his $7+ million.

gosox41
01-08-2005, 04:37 PM

The way things are looking, if the White Sox win the division this year JW should send Sabean a big thank you note whether the Sox get Durham or not.

Bob

Soxzilla
01-08-2005, 05:08 PM
So if this happens, will we be called the ...

Chicago White Sox of the San Francisco Ex-Giants?

NUCatsFan
01-08-2005, 05:33 PM
Heck give up Grilli and one of the pitchers that was brought up sometime during the span of last year.

I say, if we have to give up Garland it won't be that great of a deal. Unless again, SF eats up a ton of his $7+ million.
Where do you think we got Grilli from? Wasn't a trade, but that's who had him last.

DVsoxfan
01-08-2005, 06:45 PM
Where do you think we got Grilli from? Wasn't a trade, but that's who had him last.
I thought we got Grilli out of the rule 5 draft from the Marlins...:?:

JUribe1989
01-08-2005, 08:31 PM
Something that the Sox could do would be to give up Harris and either Diaz or Grilli for Durham. This way we could keep one of the emergency starters who weren't that great anyways. We could also get Wilson Valdez ready to take over at short when Durham leaves. Then Uribe could be at second and Valdez at short. The only thing is....would the Giants have interesnt in Harris or Grilli/Diaz?

johnny_mostil
01-08-2005, 09:03 PM
Something that the Sox could do would be to give up Harris and either Diaz or Grilli for Durham. This way we could keep one of the emergency starters who weren't that great anyways. We could also get Wilson Valdez ready to take over at short when Durham leaves. Then Uribe could be at second and Valdez at short. The only thing is....would the Giants have interesnt in Harris or Grilli/Diaz?
Didn't they already trade us Felix Diaz once?

johnny_mostil
01-08-2005, 09:08 PM
Then Uribe could be at second and Valdez at short.
Why does everybody want Uribe playing second to make room for inferior defensive players at shortstop? I just do not get it. He's got great range, good hands, a strong arm. His statistics are superlative. He'll be the best defensive shortstop we've had since Ozzie got hurt, but everybody wants to bring in these average guys to move him to second, or move him to third. Sheesh!

johnny_mostil
01-08-2005, 09:09 PM
I thought we got Grilli out of the rule 5 draft from the Marlins...:?:
You are correct. Please select the next category.

johnny_mostil
01-08-2005, 09:10 PM
The way things are looking, if the White Sox win the division this year JW should send Sabean a big thank you note whether the Sox get Durham or not.

Oh, yeah! Not only releasing Pierzynski but saving Kenny from his self-destructive Omarvizquelomania!

JUribe1989
01-08-2005, 09:11 PM
Why does everybody want Uribe playing second to make room for inferior defensive players at shortstop? I just do not get it. He's got great range, good hands, a strong arm. His statistics are superlative. He'll be the best defensive shortstop we've had since Ozzie got hurt, but everybody wants to bring in these average guys to move him to second, or move him to third. Sheesh!
Since when is Valdez an average shortstop, from what I saw he looked great defensively.

JUribe1989
01-08-2005, 09:14 PM
Valdez made one arguable error in 17 games, he looked great defensively.

OEO Magglio
01-08-2005, 09:15 PM
If valdez is ever starting we have some problems.

Jjav829
01-08-2005, 09:17 PM
You are correct. Please select the next category.I'll stay in that category and go with "Crappy pitchers we acquired in the Rule 5 draft" for $400, Alex.

Clembasbal
01-08-2005, 09:21 PM
Ummmm...the Marlins. Don't question me:redneck

Also, Valdez is not bad, just not a starter...not yet...anywhere.

Whitesox029
01-08-2005, 09:27 PM
Everett! How about Everett! The money almost works! They can't trade Crazy Carl! One of the online auction items is a breakfast with him!

Gosox1917
01-08-2005, 09:42 PM
Soooo...any word on whether this is a just a rumor or not? If it's more than just a rumor that would be awesome. I think he would be a great fit into this White Sox team.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-08-2005, 09:42 PM

HIGHLY unlikely. Only way this happens is if Sox take all or most of Durham's salary ($7.2 mill in 2005) so that Giants can sign Iguchi or some other players.

I'd love Sugar Ray back but at that price, NO WAY, at 3/4 the price, NO WAY. He's getting old (33) and he's starting to pick up injuries quite frequently (missed 94 games last 2 seasons).

I don't know why, but all of a sudden, I'm happy with Willie Harris. I'll still take Iguchi, but I don't see Harris as a deadbeat anymore. I had no idea his OBP was .343 last year, that's pretty good for him.

NUCatsFan
01-08-2005, 11:22 PM
Ummmm...the Marlins. Don't question me:redneck

Also, Valdez is not bad, just not a starter...not yet...anywhere.
I could have sworn he was with the Giants, though :P

Clembasbal
01-08-2005, 11:56 PM
I could have sworn he was with the Giants, though :P Ok, so here's how it went down...see...I...well...I knew he only made it to the bigs with the Marlins:D:.

He played AA and AAA for the Giants....link (http://www.sports-wired.com/profiles/GR/tbc794.asp)

I looked it up, and maybe you should question me.

Harris=God
01-09-2005, 01:19 AM
:KW I cant trade for ray because then i cant trade for robbie alomar at the all star break.

gosox41
01-09-2005, 10:15 AM
Oh, yeah! Not only releasing Pierzynski but saving Kenny from his self-destructive Omarvizquelomania!
Exactly. Those 2 moves alone have greatly improved the Sox. If the Sox had signed Omar for that kind of money they probably wouldn't have El Duque right now.

Bob

AZChiSoxFan
01-10-2005, 01:05 PM

Until you get a *credible* source, this is nothing to get excited about.I'll head down to the airport and see if I can eavesdrop on any pertinent cellphone conversations.

Hangar18
01-10-2005, 01:57 PM
Apparently San Fransisco radio station KNBR is reporting that the Sox are intersted in reaquiring Ray Durham. Interesting. He'd be more pricey than Iguchi or Cora, but his productivity is a virtual lock, and he's an old face and a switch hitter. I just wonder what the Sox would have to give up to get him.
I can see Uncle Jerry Wiping the PIE off his face and acknowledge what a DUMB
move it was unloading Ray Durham in the first place, without having a suitable replacement for him. (Creating a Hole to Fill a Hole)
We were a Ray Durham short in 2003 and 2004 ........... ahhhh the Irony.