PDA

View Full Version : surprise spring training

eastchicagosoxfan
01-08-2005, 11:25 AM
Remember John Cangelosi? He was with the team in 1986. He had an amazing spring, and it was immpossible to keep him off the roster. He batted .400something. Anybody think there's a Cangelosi lurking on the 40 man roster? Sweeney maybe. Is McCarthy going to get a look? I recall Buerhle's first action out of the pen. Hawk liked him in spring training. All he did was throw strikes.

CubKilla
01-08-2005, 11:28 AM
Even if there is, this team is pretty much set in stone. You might get a surprise arm for the BP though. I don't see anyone bumping any of the position players. They'd definitely have to have a lights-out ST to do so.

johnny_mostil
01-08-2005, 11:36 AM
Remember John Cangelosi? He was with the team in 1986. He had an amazing spring, and it was immpossible to keep him off the roster. He batted .400something. Anybody think there's a Cangelosi lurking on the 40 man roster? Sweeney maybe. Is McCarthy going to get a look? I recall Buerhle's first action out of the pen. Hawk liked him in spring training. All he did was throw strikes.
Probably, there are no surprises.

Pitchers (11): Buehrle, Contreras, Garcia, Garland, Hernandez; Hermanson, Marte, Politte, Takatsu, Vizcaino, (11th pitcher)
Catchers (2): Pierzynski, Davis
Infielders (6): Konerko, Harris, Uribe, Crede, Gload, (Valdez)
Outfielders (5): Dye, Posednik, Rowand, Everett, Perez

Barring signing, injury or trade, at this point the only opening would be a bullpen spot (Adkins vs Cotts), and whomever is the temporary roster fill-in for Frank Thomas, probably an outfielder (Borchard or Escobar) while Everett DHs except when Ozzie has an attack of TLRitis and decides to carry a dozen pitchers.

Sweeney making the team would start his 40-man and 3-year clocks way too early. He's years away. Escobar is a cheap 25th man with no options, so he could get the first crack, but when Thomas is healthy someone has to go.

California Sox
01-08-2005, 12:35 PM
Anybody think there's a Cangelosi lurking on the 40 man roster?
Yeah. Scott Podsednik.