PDA

View Full Version : Rob Mackowiak

Joel Perez
01-08-2005, 09:57 AM
Hmmm, I wonder how he'll look in a Sox uniform.

Phil Rogers thought the same thing. I saw this a couple of days ago in the Cubune...Link (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050108rogers,1,394635.column?coll=cs-whitesox-utility) You'll have to scroll to the bottom and read the little blurb where it says "Whispers".

Also, take a look at this (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/fielding?statsId=6725), as Rob has been used at several positions in the infield AND outfield. Plus he has some power to boot as his stats show.

And his salary, he only made $355K last year! Definintely affordable!!!

Does anyone know if Rob is available for the Sox? Since he was used at 2b a while back, maybe he'll be a good pickup to go after, as Mack can be used at several positions.

Thoughts?

Nick@Nite
01-08-2005, 10:21 AM
For someone 5'10' 195lbs, he's seems to want to chase down 755 before Barry Bonds gets there. A .319 OBP and 114 SO's in damn near 500AB's? We already have Crede, and even Crede doesn't strike out that much... besides Machowiak played 2B in only 39 games the past four seasons. I can't see him being a good fit, even at a bargain-basement price.

johnny_mostil
01-08-2005, 10:24 AM
For someone 5'10' 195lbs, he's seems to want to chase down 755 before Barry Bonds gets there. A .319 OBP and 114 SO's in damn near 500AB's? We already have Crede, and even Crede doesn't strike out that much... besides Machowiak played 2B in only 39 games the past four seasons. I can't see him being a good fit, even at a bargain-basement price.
I agree. Ick. Mackowiak is Czech for 'mediocrity'.

fquaye149
01-08-2005, 10:50 AM
don't you see? he hit that home run against the cubs. And he likes the sox. So can't you see why rational fans want him here?

JUribe1989
01-08-2005, 10:55 AM
I'm in the complete minority here, but I love Rob Mackowiak. He played three different positions successfully in 2004. He can also play second base or the outfield to give other players rest. At one time this season he was hitting over .300 so he has the ability to do that, but a terrible slump towards the end of the season hurt his average. I'm all for having him.

Nick@Nite
01-08-2005, 11:10 AM
I'm in the complete minority here, but I love Rob Mackowiak. He played three different positions successfully in 2004. He can also play second base or the outfield to give other players rest. At one time this season he was hitting over .300 so he has the ability to do that, but a terrible slump towards the end of the season hurt his average. I'm all for having him.He doesn't make enough contact. His SO's are through the roof. I know he's cheap, but KW detests hitters who swing for the fence instead of sacrificing themselves to move runners along.

I hope Mackowiak doesn't live in Hawk's Florida neighborhood.

DickAllen72
01-08-2005, 11:19 AM
He'd be better to pick up than Alex Cora, that's for sure. He would have to take Timo's place on the roster, however, and I don't think the Sox are thinking that way.

But I would say Mackowiak + Valdez > Cora + Timo. It would also be much cheaper, leaving room for yet other acquisitions.

Erik The Red
01-08-2005, 11:25 AM
Phil Rogers thought the same thing. I saw this a couple of days ago in the Cubune... Then again, who HASN'T been involved in a Phil Rogers trade discussion column? That's all he seems to do lately.

34 Inch Stick
01-08-2005, 11:36 AM
Isn't Mark Bellhorn available?

buehrle4cy05
01-08-2005, 11:54 AM
I've said it before (in the Tribune's readers have their say section) and I'll say it again: the White Sox need Alfonso Soriano, who is being shopped by Texas. The Rangers may take Jon Garland and a couple of prospects for Soriano, which would not be very steep.

JUribe1989
01-08-2005, 11:56 AM
Soriano is horrible defensively, and his offensive numbers are very similar to Juan Uribe. Soriano hit .280, Uribe hit .283.

beckett21
01-08-2005, 12:28 PM
I'll lend my support to Mackowiak here. I'd much rather have him than Crede. I seem to remember that the Pirates were unwilling to part with him, but if he is available he's an upgrade at 3B IMHO.

Ol' No. 2
01-08-2005, 01:05 PM
I've said it before (in the Tribune's readers have their say section) and I'll say it again: the White Sox need Alfonso Soriano, who is being shopped by Texas. The Rangers may take Jon Garland and a couple of prospects for Soriano, which would not be very steep.Why, is the Sox IF defense too good? Do they need more strikeouts?

johnny_mostil
01-08-2005, 01:43 PM
I've said it before (in the Tribune's readers have their say section) and I'll say it again: the White Sox need Alfonso Soriano, who is being shopped by Texas. The Rangers may take Jon Garland and a couple of prospects for Soriano, which would not be very steep.
Apparently you've had better things to do than watch Soriano play the infield. He needs to be moved to the outfield, where his production doesn't look all that good any more. Ugh.

doublem23
01-08-2005, 02:16 PM
Yes! With Jason Grilli as our #5 starter, we're sure to finish just 4-5 games behind Minnesota... again.

gosox41
01-08-2005, 03:40 PM
Hmmm, I wonder how he'll look in a Sox uniform.

Phil Rogers thought the same thing. I saw this a couple of days ago in the Cubune...Link (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050108rogers,1,394635.column?coll=cs-whitesox-utility) You'll have to scroll to the bottom and read the little blurb where it says "Whispers".

Also, take a look at this (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/fielding?statsId=6725), as Rob has been used at several positions in the infield AND outfield. Plus he has some power to boot as his stats show.

And his salary, he only made $355K last year! Definintely affordable!!!

Does anyone know if Rob is available for the Sox? Since he was used at 2b a while back, maybe he'll be a good pickup to go after, as Mack can be used at several positions.

Thoughts?
I don't see any reason to get him.

Bob

SOXintheBURGH
01-10-2005, 02:47 AM
I watched Rob Mackowiak play all season long here in Pittsburgh, he's a total fan favorite. He plays all over the infield, mostly third. Spent some time in the outfield, pretty much everything but Pitch or Catch. Had a few amazing hits, including those homers against the Cubs at PNC (which I was at, so much fun). But, from watching him play for some time, I just don't think he would fit in with the Sox.. just plain and simple.