PDA

View Full Version : FOBB news

FarWestChicago
01-08-2005, 12:07 AM
I don't know if it's been reported nationally, but the A's have been sold to a billionaire from LA. It's got to get through the Tool and his stooges yet, but this new guy has a good track record. Your god may get a big budget...and the team may move. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

FarWestChicago
01-08-2005, 12:10 AM
It looks like they got a little carried away on the news last night. It's not a done deal:

FOBB possibilities (http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/10585578.htm?1c)

WinningUgly!
01-08-2005, 12:14 AM
I don't know if it's been reported nationally, but the A's have been sold to a billionaire from LA. It's got to get through the Tool and his stooges yet, but this new guy has a good track record. Your god may get a big budget...and the team may move. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif So, now he might have the cashflow to keep the big 3 together...
Oh, wait...nevermind. :tongue:

Ol' No. 2
01-08-2005, 01:12 PM
I don't know if it's been reported nationally, but the A's have been sold to a billionaire from LA. It's got to get through the Tool and his stooges yet, but this new guy has a good track record. Your god may get a big budget...and the team may move. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gifAnd they're going to rename the team the San Francisco Athletics at Oakland.

johnny_mostil
01-08-2005, 01:18 PM
I don't know if it's been reported nationally, but the A's have been sold to a billionaire from LA. It's got to get through the Tool and his stooges yet, but this new guy has a good track record. Your god may get a big budget...and the team may move. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
If this happens, two thoughts:

I don't know that I believe that Beane continues to play Moneyball when he has, well, money. It really should have been called NoMoney-Ball, but that wasn't as catchy a title.
Just because some billionaire buys the team doesn't mean he'll spend a pile of cash. He became a billionaire somehow, right? Probably not by running businesses losing money like mad.

fquaye149
01-08-2005, 01:24 PM
Just because some billionaire buys the team doesn't mean he'll spend a pile of cash. He became a billionaire somehow, right? Probably not by running businesses losing money like mad.

but i thought people like artie moreno were geniuses for upping the budget immensely? I mean, it's not like he's realized his mistake and is cutting payroll this year!

FarWestChicago
01-08-2005, 01:25 PM
I doubt you'll see the new guy pick up the option on the team unless he has a very solid line on a new park.

johnny_mostil
01-08-2005, 01:35 PM
but i thought people like artie moreno were geniuses for upping the budget immensely? I mean, it's not like he's realized his mistake and is cutting payroll this year!
The Angels filled their ballpark last season. 3,375,677 last season. This one season after tanking and going 77-85 in front of 3,061,094 fans. Unlike the fans of the A's, or a certain other team, they show up.

johnny_mostil
01-08-2005, 01:38 PM
I doubt you'll see the new guy pick up the option on the team unless he has a very solid line on a new park.
I've been to the Mausoleum. It's a terrible place to watch a ballgame, in a neighborhood I thought was bit scary. If the A's had a park, say in Fremont near the Fry's Electronics on Warren (?) Avenue, closer to the glob of people in San Jose but still accessible from the rest of the East Bay, they'd draw better.

Of course, I still think the White Sox should have built Somewhere Else than Bridgeport...

FarWestChicago
01-08-2005, 01:43 PM
I've been to the Mausoleum. It's a terrible place to watch a ballgame, in a neighborhood I thought was bit scary.It wasn't that bad before they put in Mt. Davis. As far as the neighborhood goes, it's nothing compared to some in Chicago. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

OG4LIFE
01-08-2005, 01:50 PM
The Angels filled their ballpark last season. 3,375,677 last season. This one season after tanking and going 77-85 in front of 3,061,094 fans. Unlike the fans of the A's, or a certain other team, they show up.apparently their tickets are dirt, dirt cheap. one of the first things moreno did to increase attention to the club was slash ticket and concession prices. i had a buddy that works out there, and he was spouting off something like 6 bucks to get in the ballpark. thats cheaper than our UD on half price nights. i can guarantee if ChiSox charged that rate, we could get 3 mil in the park too. notice how half price nights usually draw a little more.

i tried checking out the angels site for single game rates, but all they have up there now is season ticket packages.

compare this to the prices we get, let alone the 5 pricing levels (mondays, regular, prime, premium, cubs) to get more cash out of us. its econ 101- where does the supply line intersect with the demand line. higher prices- less people are interested in going to more games. lower prices- more people are interested in going to more games. id say their front office policies (fan friendly, cheap tickets, owner who spends), have more to do with their attendance than the team itself.

i'm not saying its the best way to run a team, but i figure thats how they get 3 mil through the gates.

johnny_mostil
01-08-2005, 01:59 PM
apparently their tickets are dirt, dirt cheap. one of the first things moreno did to increase attention to the club was slash ticket and concession prices.
Good point.

http://www.teammarketing.com/fci.cfm?page=fci_mlb2004.cfm

Their average ticket is $5 less than a White Sox ticket, about 25%.

ma-gaga
01-08-2005, 04:14 PM
It also helps that they won a WS in the last 3 years.
That usually helps a bit.

fquaye149
01-08-2005, 04:47 PM
That usually helps a bit.

could be...but ask the marlins in 2000 about that..or even last year

ewokpelts
01-08-2005, 04:53 PM
apparently their tickets are dirt, dirt cheap. one of the first things moreno did to increase attention to the club was slash ticket and concession prices. i had a buddy that works out there, and he was spouting off something like 6 bucks to get in the ballpark. thats cheaper than our UD on half price nights. i can guarantee if ChiSox charged that rate, we could get 3 mil in the park too. notice how half price nights usually draw a little more.

i tried checking out the angels site for single game rates, but all they have up there now is season ticket packages.

compare this to the prices we get, let alone the 5 pricing levels (mondays, regular, prime, premium, cubs) to get more cash out of us. its econ 101- where does the supply line intersect with the demand line. higher prices- less people are interested in going to more games. lower prices- more people are interested in going to more games. id say their front office policies (fan friendly, cheap tickets, owner who spends), have more to do with their attendance than the team itself.

i'm not saying its the best way to run a team, but i figure thats how they get 3 mil through the gates.they also won a world series recently...somethig this guy:
:reinsy cant say

OG4LIFE
01-08-2005, 06:37 PM
That usually helps a bit.yea it does.

do you think they win that world series with an owner who pinches pennies?

edit- this point is totally invalid if moreno bought the team after the WS... can anyone validate?

samram
01-08-2005, 07:04 PM
yea it does.

do you think they win that world series with an owner who pinches pennies?

edit- this point is totally invalid if moreno bought the team after the WS... can anyone validate?
I think he bought them before the 2004 season. I believe Disney still owned them when they won the Series.

OG4LIFE
01-08-2005, 07:24 PM
I think he bought them before the 2004 season. I believe Disney still owned them when they won the Series.
if thats the case, disregard my 'penny pinching owner' comment. :redface:

FarWestChicago
01-11-2005, 08:56 PM
I was just watching the local NBC news. Lew Wolff arrived in the South Bay today and told them he expects to take over the team in the next 90 days. Sorry, no link. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

RKMeibalane
01-11-2005, 08:57 PM
I was just watching the local NBC news. Lew Wolff arrived in the South Bay today and told them he expects to take over the team in the next 90 days. Sorry, no link. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
Does he have any plans to restructure the organization?

FarWestChicago
01-11-2005, 09:01 PM
Does he have any plans to restructure the organization?That's all they said.