PDA

View Full Version : Magglio Bobblehead Idea

RKMeibalane
01-07-2005, 04:13 PM
When Maggs makes his return to US Cellular Field this season, I think the Sox should have a special promotion to mark the occasion. They should hand out bobblehead dolls showing Maggs in baseball uniform, but the logo on the cap and shirt is a dollar sign, rather than the Cubs or Orioles logo.

MUsoxfan
01-07-2005, 04:19 PM
Or if there's a surplus of Magglio bobbleheads from previous years, the Sox can run a promotion similiar to Alabama and Dennis Francione. Give people an opportunity to whack it with a golf club for like $5...the proceeds would naturally go to White Sox charities.

OurBitchinMinny
01-07-2005, 04:23 PM
When Maggs makes his return to US Cellular Field this season, I think the Sox should have a special promotion to mark the occasion. They should hand out bobblehead dolls showing Maggs in baseball uniform, but the logo on the cap and shirt is a dollar sign, rather than the Cubs or Orioles logo.
Amazing. The guy has been the best white sox player for the last 5 years and kept his mouth shut. He was lowballed with deferred money by this cheap owner. To his misfortune he got hurt and now looks stupid, but if he was healthy this offseason he would be right up there with beltran in terms of money. All he did for this orginization and everyone turns on him. I will be sick to my stomach if the cubs sign him. Id rather they sign beltran to be honest. Maggs will make the sox pay for trading him. I know everyone thinks he is damaged goods. Am I the only one who appreciates what he did for this team. While frank spent most of his time on the DL or bitching about a contract, maggs played, day in day out and carried this team many many times. Yes frank thomas is one of the best in white sox history, but maggs was well on his way to being there. I wish him all the best. I think he made a bad choice signing with boras, but maybe i would to if i was a ballplayer. He gets what he wants. I just hope he doesnt sign with the cubs.

Palehose13
01-07-2005, 04:27 PM
Amazing. The guy has been the best white sox player for the last 5 years and kept his mouth shut. He was lowballed with deferred money by this cheap owner. To his misfortune he got hurt and now looks stupid, but if he was healthy this offseason he would be right up there with beltran in terms of money. All he did for this orginization and everyone turns on him. I will be sick to my stomach if the cubs sign him. Id rather they sign beltran to be honest. Maggs will make the sox pay for trading him. I know everyone thinks he is damaged goods. Am I the only one who appreciates what he did for this team. While frank spent most of his time on the DL or bitching about a contract, maggs played, day in day out and carried this team many many times. Yes frank thomas is one of the best in white sox history, but maggs was well on his way to being there. I wish him all the best. I think he made a bad choice signing with boras, but maybe i would to if i was a ballplayer. He gets what he wants. I just hope he doesnt sign with the cubs.
:smokin:

Hey, it's Friday...share some of that!

Rocky Soprano
01-07-2005, 04:28 PM
He was lowballed with deferred money by this cheap owner.There is thread somewhere in here that actually says that the Sox came back with a NO deferred money contract offer. 5yr 70MM and Maggs still said no. This is per ESPN 1000.
Lowballed him? No, I dont think so. He wanted Vlad money and they offered it to him. He kept saying how much he loved the Sox and how he wanted to stay. If he really meant that then he would of accepted the Sox offer. Instead he got greedy.

the_valenstache
01-07-2005, 04:36 PM
I move for a Roadhouse MEGA-THREAD that details every petty thing we are willing to do when Magglio comes back to USCF. It's getting ridiculous and our focus has become convoluted; I haven't seen a Sammy-hate thread in, like, 3 days!!

All that aside, I think I like the idea of everyone getting a whack at some Maggs bobbleheads. Perhaps we could feed them through a pitching machine. Hell, why limit it to Maggs? I'm sure Jerry's got a garage full of Bartolos and Estebans.

MeanFish
01-07-2005, 04:52 PM
Magglio was a great player for us. He's no Frank Thomas though. Not even close. If anything, Magglio Ordonez is one of the more overrated players in MLB. He's very good, no doubt. But really, what's a .310 hitter who hits about 30 HR worth? He's not that fast, and even a liability on the basepaths. His arm isn't overpowering, it's average.

Every dollar over ten million a year that the White Sox offered Magglio Ordonez was a dollar that they were giving him because he played for us. This guy is not Vladimir Guerrero. He's not even Bobby Abreu. This is while healthy, mind you. He's got a sweet deal though, because he had a few good games against the Yankees, a few all-star game backup appearances and he was the media-chosen (because the media hates Frank Thomas) best player on a team vilified by possibly the largest media conglomerate in the world.

We were going to overpay him because he was one of ours. Then he got hurt and it got ugly, so we cut ties. It fits in with baseball romanticism to say that "he's going to get better and stick it to us and...." but the reality is that he very well may never play up to his own standards ever again. He might not even ever play again period for all we know.

In conclusion, even a healthy Magglio Ordonez is overrated. There, I said it. Now I will bask in the flames that are about to be spewed forth upon me. Ask yourself this question though...let's say our team had a hypothetical budget this season of $72M and that after the season we had roughly $15M to spend. How would you react if KW signed a hypothetical 30 year old free agent right fielder to a $75M/5yr contract who hit .310/30/100 every year when he had two handfuls worth of holes to shore up between the pitching staff and infield?

MUsoxfan
01-07-2005, 04:59 PM
In conclusion, even a healthy Magglio Ordonez is overrated. There, I said it. Now I will bask in the flames that are about to be spewed forth upon me. Ask yourself this question though...let's say our team had a hypothetical budget this season of $72M and that after the season we had roughly $15M to spend. How would you react if KW signed a hypothetical 30 year old free agent right fielder to a $75M/5yr contract who hit .310/30/100 every year when he had two handfuls worth of holes to shore up between the pitching staff and infield?

I said that exact same thing back in July...almost word for word. People on this board acted like I just crashed my car into their house. Most people are singing a different tune now.

SoxBoy14
01-07-2005, 05:11 PM
I like the idea. Here's mine: INstead of the Oh-ee-oh ... Magggglioo! Let's yell "Oh-ee-oh .... STU-PI-DO!"

MeanFish
01-07-2005, 05:16 PM
I like the idea. Here's mine: INstead of the Oh-ee-oh ... Magggglioo! Let's yell "Oh-ee-oh .... STU-PI-DO!"
Here's my idea: Next time Magglio plays at US Cellular Field, our sound crew should queue up "For The Love of Money" by the O'Jays and play it before every at-bat he has.

CubsfansareDRUNK
01-07-2005, 05:30 PM
I envision Garcia striking out magglio....

"Na na na na..............."

Chisox003
01-07-2005, 05:31 PM
Magglio was a great player for us. He's no Frank Thomas though. Not even close. If anything, Magglio Ordonez is one of the more overrated players in MLB. He's very good, no doubt. But really, what's a .310 hitter who hits about 30 HR worth? He's not that fast, and even a liability on the basepaths. His arm isn't overpowering, it's average.

Every dollar over ten million a year that the White Sox offered Magglio Ordonez was a dollar that they were giving him because he played for us. This guy is not Vladimir Guerrero. He's not even Bobby Abreu. This is while healthy, mind you. He's got a sweet deal though, because he had a few good games against the Yankees, a few all-star game backup appearances and he was the media-chosen (because the media hates Frank Thomas) best player on a team vilified by possibly the largest media conglomerate in the world.

We were going to overpay him because he was one of ours. Then he got hurt and it got ugly, so we cut ties. It fits in with baseball romanticism to say that "he's going to get better and stick it to us and...." but the reality is that he very well may never play up to his own standards ever again. He might not even ever play again period for all we know.

Amen!

Though I think "over rated" is a little over the top, the money he was and is looking for is just too much...If he REALLY wanted to play for the Sox, the deal would have been done a long time ago...

Im still split on Mags...Part of me wants no part of him since he basically rejected the Sox time and again...On the other hand, I hate seeing him leave and be bashed like this since he WAS a great player, who left it all on the field for us year after year.....Had he not been injured, we might not be sittin here talking about this, who knows....Either way, I hope for the best for Mags, and I think hes still going to be a great player....As long as it aint on the northside!

MeanFish
01-07-2005, 05:41 PM
Amen!

Though I think "over rated" is a little over the top, the money he was and is looking for is just too much...If he REALLY wanted to play for the Sox, the deal would have been done a long time ago...

Im still split on Mags...Part of me wants no part of him since he basically rejected the Sox time and again...On the other hand, I hate seeing him leave and be bashed like this since he WAS a great player, who left it all on the field for us year after year.....Had he not been injured, we might not be sittin here talking about this, who knows....Either way, I hope for the best for Mags, and I think hes still going to be a great player....As long as it aint on the northside! Saying he was overrated may have been a little strong, but it seems appropriate when we were looking to overpay to hold onto his services and it wasn't enough for him. As the media troops on the northside rallied around his cause in the chase for southside vilification, his name has become much greater than the player he is even at the top of his own game. It's interesting really...he's been fairly obscure for half a decade despite constant well-above-average production, but now it's almost an "in" thing among baseball fans to list him alongside the likes of Carlos Beltran and Vladimir Guerrero when clearly he's not in that echelon of players. It's almost like the lovefest with Kevin Smith that took place a few years ago, when the guy went from an independent film maker known only among the most die hard independent film aficionados to a pop culture God among mainstream movie watchers. His real value is somewhere in the middle of the two, just as is the case with Magglio Ordonez.

zach074
01-07-2005, 05:53 PM
I don't know what all you guys are thinking but if I'm at that game when Mags comes back he will receive a standing ovation from me and probably most of the crowd. He was a great player for us and I will always respect what he did on the field and Charity wise.