PDA

View Full Version : Burke gone! Designated for assignment

Grobber33
01-07-2005, 03:02 PM
Now that A.J. Pierzynski is in the fold,the Sox are keeping Ben Davis and Jamie Burke is all but gone. More at www.grobber.com (http://www.grobber.com)

zach074
01-07-2005, 03:03 PM
By Burke.:(:

MUsoxfan
01-07-2005, 03:04 PM
I guess that's a solid answer for the question posted in this thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43717)

Baby Fisk
01-07-2005, 03:04 PM
I just noticed he's never hit a HR in the majors. :o:

beckett21
01-07-2005, 03:05 PM
Mystery solved.

BRDSR
01-07-2005, 03:06 PM
I guess we can put an end to the 3-catcher, 2-catcher question. Looks like it will be AJ with Davis as a backup. I'm fine with that. No reason to carry 3 catchers in my opinion.

Mickster
01-07-2005, 03:22 PM
Just on ESPN AM 1000.

Guess we will not be carrying 3 catchers after all......

rdivaldi
01-07-2005, 03:24 PM
Could signing a middle infielder be close behind???

RKMeibalane
01-07-2005, 03:25 PM
Good.

Jjav829
01-07-2005, 03:26 PM
Not surprising. Did anyone really think we would carry 3 catchers? I hope Burke accepts the assignment. He's a fine catcher to have in AAA in case one of our 2 catchers goes down.

doublem23
01-07-2005, 03:28 PM
So what is our bench as of right now?

Ben Davis, Timo Perez, Ross Gload, Carl Everett, and Joe Borchard?

lowesox
01-07-2005, 03:32 PM
Designated for assignment means that he could still sneak through to the minors right? While I'd root for him to succeed elsewhere, it'd be nice to have him as an insurance policy.

I actually liked Burke quite a bit.

Brian26
01-07-2005, 03:32 PM

Replace LTP with Wilson Valdez.

Ol' No. 2
01-07-2005, 03:33 PM

Ben Davis, Timo Perez, Ross Gload, Carl Everett, and Joe Borchard?Probably not Borchard unless he hits everything in sight out of the park in ST. Until Thomas comes back it's:

Davis, Perez, Gload, Valdez and PTBNL.

Unless they start with 12 pitchers.

WinningUgly!
01-07-2005, 03:33 PM
Could signing a middle infielder be close behind???
That or KW is working on a deal with the Rangers to reacquire Sandy Alomar Jr.

Banix12
01-07-2005, 03:34 PM
I never thought the sox would carry three catchers. I just kinda hoped there would have been a spring training battle to see which of the backups should get the job.

I still say Burke is a better player than Davis, even with the lack of power. We finally gave Burke a chance in the majors a couple years ago and I think we'd all have to agree he more than surpassed our low expectations. Davis is now going into his 8th year of major league service and has done nothing but underachive.

Best of luck Burke, hope someone gives you a shot next year.

Jjav829
01-07-2005, 03:34 PM

Davis, Perez, Gload, Everett and Valdez. We need to get another infielder in there. Valdez would have to be the favorite for that spot now. I suppose if Iguchi signs, Harris could make that spot. Still, Willie can't back-up at shortstop or third base.

Jjav829
01-07-2005, 03:35 PM
Designated for assignment means that he could still sneak through to the minors right? While I'd root for him to succeed elsewhere, it'd be nice to have him as an insurance policy.

I actually liked Burke quite a bit.
I think it's likely he does. 33-year old catchers aren't exactly hot commodities on waivers. Good chance he accepts the assignment in AAA.

Banix12
01-07-2005, 03:36 PM
Probably not Borchard unless he hits everything in sight out of the park in ST. Until Thomas comes back it's:

Davis, Perez, Gload, Valdez and PTBNL.

Unless they start with 12 pitchers.

Wouldn't Everett be the other member of the bench? When thomas is healthy he's not the starting DH and Rowand, Podsednik and Dye are the starting OF.

Ol' No. 2
01-07-2005, 03:49 PM
Wouldn't Everett be the other member of the bench? When thomas is healthy he's not the starting DH and Rowand, Podsednik and Dye are the starting OF.When Thomas is added to the roster, someone else will obviously have to go to make room.

Banix12
01-07-2005, 03:54 PM
When Thomas is added to the roster, someone else will obviously have to go to make room.

Nah,

11 pitchers... Buehrle, Garcia, Contreras, Hernandez, Garland, Takatsu, Viscaino, Marte, Politte, Hermanson, and Cotts
9 starters... Rowand, Podsednik, Dye, Crede, Uribe, Harris, Konerko, Pierzynski, and Thomas
5 on the bench... Davis, Perez, Gload, Everett, and a mystery middle infielder

25 players

soxtalker
01-07-2005, 03:54 PM
I wouldn't have been unhappy about letting Burke and Davis handle the catching duties this coming season. However, I'm not complaining about the decision. However, it would seem that Burke might be attractive to some other major league team as their back-up catcher? He's hit for average quite well. What is the downside in his play? The issues of his relatively advanced age and long stint in the minors have been raised many times, but I don't recall many comments about the negatives in his game. What are they?

DrCrawdad
01-07-2005, 03:57 PM
Now that A.J. Pierzynski is in the fold,the Sox are keeping Ben Davis and Jamie Burke is all but gone. More at www.grobber.com (http://www.grobber.com)

I wrote the following this morning. What do I win? I'm always up for a booby prize.

I don't see where or how the Sox can carry three catchers this season. IMHO the back-up catcher should go to the best defensive catcher. Whether that is Davis, I don't know. Unless they trade Davis, he'll most likely be the catcher, because of what they're paying him.

Ol' No. 2
01-07-2005, 03:58 PM
Nah,

11 pitchers... Buehrle, Garcia, Contreras, Hernandez, Garland, Takatsu, Viscaino, Marte, Politte, Hermanson, and Cotts
9 starters... Rowand, Podsednik, Dye, Crede, Uribe, Harris, Konerko, Pierzynski, and Thomas

25 playersSo you DON'T have drop someone to make room for Thomas?

Banix12
01-07-2005, 03:59 PM
I wouldn't have been unhappy about letting Burke and Davis handle the catching duties this coming season. However, I'm not complaining about the decision. However, it would seem that Burke might be attractive to some other major league team as their back-up catcher? He's hit for average quite well. What is the downside in his play? The issues of his relatively advanced age and long stint in the minors have been raised many times, but I don't recall many comments about the negatives in his game. What are they?

Most of what I have heard is that he is not a good defensive catcher and not a good game caller. I personally haven't seen it, but those seem to be the excuses. Also, he will never be a power hitter, I think he has only hit 22 hrs in his minor league career.

voodoochile
01-07-2005, 04:00 PM
I think it's likely he does. 33-year old catchers aren't exactly hot commodities on waivers. Good chance he accepts the assignment in AAA.
Or just decides to get on with his life...

Banix12
01-07-2005, 04:02 PM
So you DON'T have drop someone to make room for Thomas?

You do have to drop someone but not someone who will be considered one of our regulars. More than likely the guy dumped will be a guy like Borchard, a minor leaguer who is not part of our plans this year but a placeholder for Thomas who will probably never actually get into a major league game. Or Adkins, who will be the last guy out of the bullpen and probably never get into a game.

Ol' No. 2
01-07-2005, 04:09 PM
You do have to drop someone but not someone who will be considered one of our regulars. More than likely the guy dumped will be a guy like Borchard, a minor leaguer who is not part of our plans this year but a placeholder for Thomas who will probably never actually get into a major league game. Or Adkins, who will be the last guy out of the bullpen and probably never get into a game.They won't drop Borchard because he won't be on the roster to drop. My guess is Valdez will make the roster out of ST and could be sent down when Thomas is added.

hold2dibber
01-07-2005, 04:24 PM
Nah,

25 players
The mystery middle infielder almost certainly will be Valdez. Alternatively, they could have 4 on the bench and carry Adkins or Munoz as the 12th pitcher. If Big Hurt isn't available to start the season, I'd expect Everett to DH with Valdez and probably Escobar or Borchard on the bench.

Mohoney
01-07-2005, 05:18 PM
Alternatively, they could have 4 on the bench and carry Adkins or Munoz as the 12th pitcher.
I was kind of rooting for Jamie Burke to be the 25th man until Frank gets back. I didn't really want a 12th pitcher.

If they do carry a 12th pitcher, I hope it's Munoz and not Adkins. Or maybe if Bobby Jenks or Kevin Walker has a dynamite Spring, go with one of those guys.

Just my opinion, but carrying a 12th pitcher only makes sense if its either a 3rd lefty to shoulder some of Marte's huge (too much, in my opinion) workload, or Jenks looks so dominating that, matchups be damned, he earns the spot. If Adkins is the 12th, then I would much rather have had Burke.

MisterB
01-07-2005, 05:25 PM
I wrote the following this morning. What do I win? I'm always up for a booby prize. Here ya go...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=1694

champagne030
01-07-2005, 06:55 PM
You do have to drop someone but not someone who will be considered one of our regulars. More than likely the guy dumped will be a guy like Borchard, a minor leaguer who is not part of our plans this year but a placeholder for Thomas who will probably never actually get into a major league game. Or Adkins, who will be the last guy out of the bullpen and probably never get into a game.Adkins will be in for mop-up duty on 4/10/05 after Judy, while facing Radke, gives up a six spot in the 5th against the Twinkies.......

EMel9281
01-07-2005, 07:37 PM
Damn!

DrCrawdad
01-08-2005, 10:14 AM
Here ya go...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=1694

And what a bodacious booby it is!

I read on the San Jose Mercury News, in an AP report, that Burke is headed to Charlotte.

jake27
01-09-2005, 09:47 AM
o man i love burke :whiner: he did noting but play well last year when called on. no reason to think he wouldnt do it again.