PDA

View Full Version : The 2 hole

bigredrudy
01-07-2005, 02:19 PM
Certainly against righthanded pitchers I like Willie Harris hitting in the 2 hole. His OBP was .366 and his average was .279. We want someone in that position who will take pitches and hits lefthanded. Rowand and Uribe are both wild swingers and do not have the required patience that would give Scott P a chance to steal. To try to make Rowand and Uribe 2 hole hitters would be a mistake. Both of these guys hit well last season. Don't try to make them do something that will take away their natural aggressivenes. I think it will backfire. I think that if either one of these guys begin taking pitches for strikes it will lead to more strikeouts and a failure to move the runner. Scott P had a lefthanded hitter hitting behind him last year and I am sure that was a big help to him as the catcher's view was blocked. To take maximum advantage of what Scott P brings tothe table this is the way Ozzie should go.

SEALgep
01-07-2005, 02:28 PM
Harris in the two hole is a bad idea. Ideally, Iguchi would bat number two, but that remains to be seen. As of now, I'd rather Rowand or Uribe bat #2, despite your reasoning against it.

Randar68
01-07-2005, 02:40 PM
Harris in the two hole is a bad idea. Ideally, Iguchi would bat number two, but that remains to be seen. As of now, I'd rather Rowand or Uribe bat #2, despite your reasoning against it.:chunks

scooter300
01-07-2005, 02:40 PM
I think I would prefer Rowand as well until Harris proves he can hit. I have yet to see Harris hit the ball with any authority. Every hit seems to barely get out of the infield or be a duck snort.

SEALgep
01-07-2005, 02:42 PM
:chunksSo you'd be in favor of Harris in the two hole?

Ol' No. 2
01-07-2005, 02:42 PM
Certainly against righthanded pitchers I like Willie Harris hitting in the 2 hole. His OBP was .366 and his average was .279. We want someone in that position who will take pitches and hits lefthanded. Rowand and Uribe are both wild swingers and do not have the required patience that would give Scott P a chance to steal. To try to make Rowand and Uribe 2 hole hitters would be a mistake. Both of these guys hit well last season. Don't try to make them do something that will take away their natural aggressivenes. I think it will backfire. I think that if either one of these guys begin taking pitches for strikes it will lead to more strikeouts and a failure to move the runner. Scott P had a lefthanded hitter hitting behind him last year and I am sure that was a big help to him as the catcher's view was blocked. To take maximum advantage of what Scott P brings tothe table this is the way Ozzie should go.I understand your logic, but with a young player whose main problem has been lack of consistency, I'd tend to leave him in the same spot in the batting order rather than moving him around. Plus, hitting 9th is perfect for him - less pressure than in the #2 hole, but you still have him and Pods back-to-back.

hold2dibber
01-07-2005, 02:51 PM
Harris in the two hole is a bad idea. Ideally, Iguchi would bat number two, but that remains to be seen. As of now, I'd rather Rowand or Uribe bat #2, despite your reasoning against it.
C'mon, you have to do better than that - why is Harris in the 2-hold a bad idea? I happen to agree with BidRedRudy on this one. Against right handed pitching, Harris is the right choice for the no. 2 hole for all the reasons listed above, plus he can bunt (Rowand is a lousy bunter) and he looks at more pitches than Rowand or Uribe (meaning more chances for Pods to make something happen on the bases). As things stand, the best line-up against righties is:

Pods CF
Harris 2B
Frank/Everett DH
PK 1B
Dye RF
Pierzynski C
Rowand RF
Crede 3B
Uribe SS

Against a lefty, I'd put Rowand in the 2 hold by default and drop Harris to 9th (or, better yet, sign Miguel Cairo play him against lefties, hitting in the no. 2 slot).

SEALgep
01-07-2005, 02:59 PM
C'mon, you have to do better than that - why is Harris in the 2-hold a bad idea? I happen to agree with BidRedRudy on this one. Against right handed pitching, Harris is the right choice for the no. 2 hole for all the reasons listed above, plus he can bunt (Rowand is a lousy bunter) and he looks at more pitches than Rowand or Uribe (meaning more chances for Pods to make something happen on the bases). As things stand, the best line-up against righties is:

Pods CF
Harris 2B
Frank/Everett DH
PK 1B
Dye RF
Pierzynski C
Rowand RF
Crede 3B
Uribe SS

Against a lefty, I'd put Rowand in the 2 hold by default and drop Harris to 9th (or, better yet, sign Miguel Cairo play him against lefties, hitting in the no. 2 slot).I like Harris, but he's not a two hole hitter, whether or not he's able to bunt. However, I seem to lack the confidence in his bunting skills more than you. If bunting is your main reasoning, than Uribe will be sufficient, who probably bunted better than Harris did last year.

tsamdog
01-07-2005, 03:04 PM
Interesting responses to the thread. I am really not sure which way to lean on this. I do believe in having some speed at the #9 hole when there is a viable basestealing threat at lead-off. Teams are guaranteed only one shot at 1-2-3, so some thought must go into lineup turnover. Teams such as Anaheim have batted Molina 8 with Figgins 9. That allows for their speed at the top to be allowed to do their thing without being forced into station-to-station baseball. The two spot becomes important now for a couple of reasons. We need someone that has bat control to go to right field now, to hit behind the speed. Bunting may not be as necessary an attribute as in the past because of the stolen base potential, but the ability to be patient at the plate should remain key. I don't know the answer to this question: Who has better bat control? Uribe, Rowand, other? Who will look at more pitches and allow the speed on base to play out?

Randar68
01-07-2005, 03:04 PM
So you'd be in favor of Harris in the two hole?Putting undisciplined free-swingers in the 2 hole is a sure-fire way to have a lot of 8-pitch first innings. Neither Rowand nor Uribe is a proven bunter and neither has seemed to excel in situational hitting scenarios.

Both Uribe and Rowand look #5 or 6 hitters in a good line-up. Harris is so terrible but posted a much better OBP than either last year. Harris walked 51 times in a little over 400 AB's. Uribe and Rowand each only walked 32 and 30 times respectively in ~500 AB's each...

I have a lot more confidence that Harris can hit .280 (hit .262 last year) than I do that Rowand can repeat hitting .310. At .280 average, Harris brings a much better OBP than either Uribe or Rowand would and he provides all the other measurables you look for in a #2 hitter.

SEALgep
01-07-2005, 03:14 PM
Putting undisciplined free-swingers in the 2 hole is a sure-fire way to have a lot of 8-pitch first innings. Neither Rowand nor Uribe is a proven bunter and neither has seemed to excel in situational hitting scenarios.

Both Uribe and Rowand look #5 or 6 hitters in a good line-up. Harris is so terrible but posted a much better OBP than either last year. Harris walked 51 times in a little over 400 AB's. Uribe and Rowand each only walked 32 and 30 times respectively in ~500 AB's each...

I have a lot more confidence that Harris can hit .280 (hit .262 last year) than I do that Rowand can repeat hitting .310. At .280 average, Harris brings a much better OBP than either Uribe or Rowand would and he provides all the other measurables you look for in a #2 hitter.Your opinion of Rowand is widely known, however, even you can't dispute that he has performed well when finally being able to play consistently. Harris, although is an asset to this team, is not a two hole hitter. It's important to note that the players statistics you've mentioned include all at bats, most of which we're not in the role in question. When Rowand batted leadoff, he was able to show the patience required in that spot. Is that his ideal role, absolutely not. However, labeling him as a free swinger, when he was in the order in the lineup that called for more of an aggressive nature, is unfair. If you're satisfied with Harris in the the two hole, good for you. However, I'm certain Ozzie is going to respectfully disagree with you.

hold2dibber
01-07-2005, 03:15 PM
I like Harris, but he's not a two hole hitter, whether or not he's able to bunt. However, I seem to lack the confidence in his bunting skills more than you. If bunting is your main reasoning, than Uribe will be sufficient, who probably bunted better than Harris did last year.Bunting ability is a reason, but not the only reason. The biggest reason is that Harris looks at more pitches than Uribe or Rowand (giving Pods more chances to run, getting Frank more pitches to see from the on-deck circle, etc.) and he walks a lot more than Rowand or Uribe. Plus, because Rowand and Uribe have power, they're (particularly Rowand) better suited to being run producers in the middle of the line-up. Plus, Harris hits lefty (which I think has some positive effect in terms of being an obstacle to the catcher throwing to 2nd when Pods is running).

And you still haven't said why Harris is not a 2-hole hitter, or why Rowand and Uribe are 2-hole hitters. Why do you think they're better suited for the role than Harris?

SEALgep
01-07-2005, 03:20 PM
Bunting ability is a reason, but not the only reason. The biggest reason is that Harris looks at more pitches than Uribe or Rowand (giving Pods more chances to run, getting Frank more pitches to see from the on-deck circle, etc.) and he walks a lot more than Rowand or Uribe. Plus, because Rowand and Uribe have power, they're (particularly Rowand) better suited to being run producers in the middle of the line-up. Plus, Harris hits lefty (which I think has some positive effect in terms of being an obstacle to the catcher throwing to 2nd when Pods is running).

And you still haven't said why Harris is not a 2-hole hitter, or why Rowand and Uribe are 2-hole hitters. Why do you think they're better suited for the role than Harris?Harris isn't consistent enough to be a two hole hitter. I like the guy, and am fine with him batting ninth and playing second base. However, don't confuse my argument. I never mentioned Rowand or Uribe as ideal #2 hitters, I just feel they could serve the role better than Harris. I touched on the reasoning in my previous post. Pods success as a stealing threat isn't relied upon having a lefty at the plate. Is it nice, sure, but not enough of a reason to put the inconsistent Harris at the number two. Especially when figuring the need to get Pods was because Harris wasn't consistent enough. We already tried having an unreliable lefty in the two spot, and it didn't do the teams any favors. Again, my opinion is insignificant, we'll see what Ozzie decides in ST.

Randar68
01-07-2005, 03:31 PM
Your opinion of Rowand is widely known, however, even you can't dispute that he has performed well when finally being able to play consistently. Harris, although is an asset to this team, is not a two hole hitter. It's important to note that the players statistics you've mentioned include all at bats, most of which we're not in the role in question. When Rowand batted leadoff, he was able to show the patience required in that spot. Is that his ideal role, absolutely not. However, labeling him as a free swinger, when he was in the order in the lineup that called for more of an aggressive nature, is unfair. If you're satisfied with Harris in the the two hole, good for you. However, I'm certain Ozzie is going to respectfully disagree with you.
Hey, I admitted I was wrong about Rowand, he turned the corner in a hell of a whirlwind. However, that doesn't mean that me not wanting him in the 2-hole is some indication of still not thinking he can produce. It's clear Rowand fixed most of his major issues at the plate and in CF and I have no problem with him, so I'm not sure what I though of Rowand heading into 2004 has one iota to do with how you perceive that to be affecting what place in the order I would hit him in 2005...

Non-sensical and doesn't not support your opinion one bit.

That being said, Harris played in a large variety of roles and played sporadically. Your "evidence" that Rowand should be the starting 2-hole hitter is complete nonsense. With probably Frank missing the start of the season, you'd rather have Rowand at 2 instead of 5?

Rowand can improve, but Harris can't? Harris hit .262 in 2004. Harris has been a man of many undefined roles for this team over the last 2 years and he had a better track-record in the minors than Rowand did prior to everyone pissing down their legs about him last season. No, Harris won't hit for much power, but if you put him in there every day in the same role, I'm willing to say he'd be a better hitter and end up in more of the .280 range with an OBP in the .360 or .370 range. With his speed, bunting, and willingness to work counts and situationally hit, then I am more than happy with him in the 2-hole.

34 Inch Stick
01-07-2005, 03:32 PM
What about Harris hitting 1 and Podsednik hitting 2 against righthanded pitchers? I believe Podsednik hit number 2 during most of the 2003 season when he had a much higher degree of success. Then Podsednik could bat lead off against lefties with Rowand moving to #2 and Harris going to #9.

Randar68
01-07-2005, 03:33 PM
Harris isn't consistent enough to be a two hole hitter. I like the guy, and am fine with him batting ninth and playing second base. However, don't confuse my argument. I never mentioned Rowand or Uribe as ideal #2 hitters, I just feel they could serve the role better than Harris. I touched on the reasoning in my previous post. Pods success as a stealing threat isn't relied upon having a lefty at the plate. Is it nice, sure, but not enough of a reason to put the inconsistent Harris at the number two. Especially when figuring the need to get Pods was because Harris wasn't consistent enough. We already tried having an unreliable lefty in the two spot, and it didn't do the teams any favors. Again, my opinion is insignificant, we'll see what Ozzie decides in ST.
Having Harris at #2 and batting AJ in the 6 or 7 spot in the order changes the RHed-ness of the order considerably...

Randar68
01-07-2005, 03:33 PM
What about Harris hitting 1 and Podsednik hitting 2 against righthanded pitchers? I believe Podsednik hit number 2 during most of the 2003 season when he had a much higher degree of success. Then Podsednik could bat lead off against lefties with Rowand moving to #2 and Harris going to #9.
Jerry, is that you? LOL!

34 Inch Stick
01-07-2005, 03:35 PM
What's the joke?

SEALgep
01-07-2005, 03:36 PM
Hey, I admitted I was wrong about Rowand, he turned the corner in a hell of a whirlwind. However, that doesn't mean that me not wanting him in the 2-hole is some indication of still not thinking he can produce. It's clear Rowand fixed most of his major issues at the plate and in CF and I have no problem with him, so I'm not sure what I though of Rowand heading into 2004 has one iota to do with how you perceive that to be affecting what place in the order I would hit him in 2005...

Non-sensical and doesn't not support your opinion one bit.

That being said, Harris played in a large variety of roles and played sporadically. Your "evidence" that Rowand should be the starting 2-hole hitter is complete nonsense. With probably Frank missing the start of the season, you'd rather have Rowand at 2 instead of 5?

Rowand can improve, but Harris can't? Harris hit .262 in 2004. Harris has been a man of many undefined roles for this team over the last 2 years and he had a better track-record in the minors than Rowand did prior to everyone pissing down their legs about him last season. No, Harris won't hit for much power, but if you put him in there every day in the same role, I'm willing to say he'd be a better hitter and end up in more of the .280 range with an OBP in the .360 or .370 range. With his speed, bunting, and willingness to work counts and situationally hit, then I am more than happy with him in the 2-hole.Speaking of nonsense, where did I ever say Rowand is an ideal number 2 hitter. Your confusing your own argument, and frankly making stuff up. I never said Harris can't improve, I beleive he will. That doesn't necessarily mean I want to start the season with him in the two hole. If you're satisfied with him in that role, good for you. All I'm saying is that I don't believe the Sox, or more importantly Ozzie, agrees with you. If Harris comes out of ST looking as if he can take on that role, I'm all for it. We'll see though.

SEALgep
01-07-2005, 03:36 PM
Having Harris at #2 and batting AJ in the 6 or 7 spot in the order changes the RHed-ness of the order considerably...It does with him in the nine spot as well.

bigredrudy
01-07-2005, 03:43 PM
To steal 70 bases with an OBP of .313 is very impressive. The Sox should give Scott p every advantage so that he can utilize this talent. All the great basestealers have had lefthanded hitters hitting behind them-Jim Gilliam behind Maury Wills-Nellie Fox behind Luis Aparicio. I am reasonably confident that Lou Brock and Vince Coleman had the same situation. 2 hitters must take pitches especially when they are hitting behind a great basestealer. On the White Sox Harris would be the best choice.

lowesox
01-07-2005, 03:49 PM
This thread is one really big advertisement for us to go trade for Polanco.

Chisox003
01-07-2005, 03:50 PM
Harris isn't consistent enough to be a two hole hitter. I like the guy, and am fine with him batting ninth and playing second base. However, don't confuse my argument. I never mentioned Rowand or Uribe as ideal #2 hitters, I just feel they could serve the role better than Harris. I touched on the reasoning in my previous post. Pods success as a stealing threat isn't relied upon having a lefty at the plate. Is it nice, sure, but not enough of a reason to put the inconsistent Harris at the number two. Especially when figuring the need to get Pods was because Harris wasn't consistent enough. We already tried having an unreliable lefty in the two spot, and it didn't do the teams any favors. Again, my opinion is insignificant, we'll see what Ozzie decides in ST.
Consistency, consistency, consistency...The problems with this team for the last few years is consistency....Willie would be a great 2 hole hitter--If he didnt go 5-5 one game, and 0 for his next 25 in the next 7 games...These have been the problems and the reasons why the Sox cant put up consistent runs/game, and its frustrating...Personally, I like Rowand in the 2 hole...Id rather have a speed guy who bunts good, but I think Rowand is the best we got at this point....

tsamdog
01-07-2005, 03:55 PM
With the loss of Maggs, Carlos, and Frank (for awhile), aren't we looking for Rowand to contribute to the power numbers? Can he do that from the #2 hole?

SEALgep
01-07-2005, 03:58 PM
With the loss of Maggs, Carlos, and Frank (for awhile), aren't we looking for Rowand to contribute to the power numbers? Can he do that from the #2 hole?The year before last, Carlos Lee looked like an excellent #2. Besides, it's not as if Rowand is slow. The guys who would follow Rowand aren't exactly weaklings.

tsamdog
01-07-2005, 04:00 PM
The year before last, Carlos Lee looked like an exceleent #2. Besides, it's not as if Rowand is slow.
No, I am not implying that Rowand at #2 would be speed issue. My thoughts are that #2 hitters have other responsibilities, rather than the power thing. You are most correct about CLee, but he didn't hit behind a Pods. Again, I think I'm questioning a mindset.

SEALgep
01-07-2005, 04:03 PM
No, I am not implying that Rowand at #2 would be speed issue. My thoughts are that #2 hitters have other responsibilities, rather than the power thing. You are most correct about CLee, but he didn't hit behind a Pods. Again, I think I'm questioning a mindset.I see. IMO, if anyone can work hard on changing a mind set and doing what is best for a team, it is Rowand. Again, I'm not trying to imply that this would be an ideal role for Rowand, I just feel that option supercedes Harris in that role.

tsamdog
01-07-2005, 04:06 PM
I see. IMO, if anyone can work hard on changing a mind set and doing what is best for a team, it is Rowand. Again, I'm not trying to imply that this would be an ideal role for Rowand, I just feel that option supercedes Harris in that role.
I see your point. As far as bat control, Rowand would be an upgrade from WH as well as Uribe, and to argue against myself a bit.... Rowand would be freed up power-wise AFTER Pods steals a base or two ahead of him.

hold2dibber
01-07-2005, 04:16 PM
I see your point. As far as bat control, Rowand would be an upgrade from WH as well as Uribe, and to argue against myself a bit.... Rowand would be freed up power-wise AFTER Pods steals a base or two ahead of him.
We must have been watching different teams last year - I think Willie has much better bat control than Rowand.

SEALgep
01-07-2005, 04:18 PM
I see your point. As far as bat control, Rowand would be an upgrade from WH as well as Uribe, and to argue against myself a bit.... Rowand would be freed up power-wise AFTER Pods steals a base or two ahead of him.Believe me, I see your point of having Rowand down in the order, allowing for more RBI opportunities. However, I see Rowand of less of a pure power hitter, and more of a good overall hitter with power. IMO there's a difference. I think the team will be fine in the power department from those who will follow him immediately in the lineup.

kojak
01-07-2005, 04:26 PM
The only solution that makes sense in the #2 spot is Rich Aurilia.

tsamdog
01-07-2005, 04:26 PM
We must have been watching different teams last year - I think Willie has much better bat control than Rowand.
Once again, just an opinion, but an example would be WH's avg during the dog days:
June .182
July .188

As opposed to Rowands:
June .375
July .387

It just seems to me that Rowand makes better contact more often. Does that equate to bat control? I don't know..... It would be interesting to see a situational 'hit' chart.

OEO Magglio
01-07-2005, 04:45 PM

Pods CF
Harris 2B
Frank/Everett DH
PK 1B
Dye RF
Pierzynski C
Rowand RF
Crede 3B
Uribe SS

Against a lefty, I'd put Rowand in the 2 hold by default and drop Harris to 9th (or, better yet, sign Miguel Cairo play him against lefties, hitting in the no. 2 slot).

Have you seen willie bunt?? He's an awful bunter. He's just as bad a bunter as aaron. Willie shouldn't be in the 2 hole as of right now our best option is aaron in that situation even though I'd prefer to have him down in the order.

Flight #24
01-07-2005, 04:46 PM
Have you seen willie bunt?? He's an awful bunter. He's just as bad a bunter as aaron. Willie shouldn't be in the 2 hole as of right now our best option is aaron in that situation even though I'd prefer to have him down in the order.
Aaron was pretty bad as a bunter, but from what I've seen of him, I'd bet that he's significantly improved at that skill by ST. He just seems like a guy that would go work on that type of weakness.

hold2dibber
01-07-2005, 05:06 PM
Well, I guess we'll just have to disagree. I watch almost every Sox game and while Willie isn't great at bunting for hits (though he's not bad), from what I've seen but he is quite good at getting a bunt down. Rowand, on the other hand, either misses or pops foul every time he tries to bunt. He's atrocious. It's not even close, IMHO.

hold2dibber
01-07-2005, 05:14 PM
Once again, just an opinion, but an example would be WH's avg during the dog days:
June .182
July .188

As opposed to Rowands:
June .375
July .387

It just seems to me that Rowand makes better contact more often. Does that equate to bat control? I don't know..... It would be interesting to see a situational 'hit' chart.Maybe we're just defining bat control differently. To me, bat control has nothing to do with batting average. Its (1) making contact; (2) taking pitches; (3) being able to hit the ball in a chosen direction (e.g., hit to right to move runner to third); and (4) being able to hit the ball on the ground or in the air when the situation calls for it.

As to (1), Harris struck out in about 16.7% of his plate appearances last year, whereas Rowand struck out in about 17% of his plate appearances - no material difference. As to (2), Harris walked in about 10.8% of his plate apperances, whereas Rowand walked in about 5.6% of his plate appearances - suggesting that Willie is better at taking pitches than Aaron. (I think someone more statistically adroit than me could probably find a site that shows pitches seen per plate appearance, but I don't know where/how to get that info.) As to (3) and (4), there are no stats that I know of to support one over the other. Anecdotally, I'd say that Willie seemed better at this to me than Aaron last year, but who knows.

Milkman43
01-07-2005, 05:16 PM
Rowand should definitely bat 2nd. He hits behind runners and usually makes contact. Not to mention a little HR pop hitting 26 last year.

hold2dibber
01-07-2005, 05:45 PM
The only solution that makes sense in the #2 spot is Rich Aurilia.
Good Lord, I hope you meant for that to be in teal.

tsamdog
01-07-2005, 07:11 PM
Maybe we're just defining bat control differently. To me, bat control has nothing to do with batting average. Its (1) making contact; (2) taking pitches; (3) being able to hit the ball in a chosen direction (e.g., hit to right to move runner to third); and (4) being able to hit the ball on the ground or in the air when the situation calls for it.

As to (1), Harris struck out in about 16.7% of his plate appearances last year, whereas Rowand struck out in about 17% of his plate appearances - no material difference. As to (2), Harris walked in about 10.8% of his plate apperances, whereas Rowand walked in about 5.6% of his plate appearances - suggesting that Willie is better at taking pitches than Aaron. (I think someone more statistically adroit than me could probably find a site that shows pitches seen per plate appearance, but I don't know where/how to get that info.) As to (3) and (4), there are no stats that I know of to support one over the other. Anecdotally, I'd say that Willie seemed better at this to me than Aaron last year, but who knows.
Interesting stats to say the least. I do see where you are coming from. It would be good to see some situational statistics, but I doubt those are for public consumption. Personally, I would like to see Willie #9 followed by Pods; basically just the opposite of what you are thinking order-wise. I think that with Rock Raines' guidance, Willie may reach his baserunning/stealing potential, which would make the lineup even more dangerous in the middle innings. We may both be happy with that. Fitting Rowand into #2 still looks best to me with what we have, but I still like his heavy pop further down in the lineup. Who knows...maybe KW's not done, which could make this all moot.

kojak
01-07-2005, 07:51 PM
Good Lord, I hope you meant for that to be in teal.

No way. I believe that out of all the remaining options for middle infield, Aurilia represents the best choice, especially over Willie Harris. Offensively, I think Aurilia would do very well in USCF. Granted, he isn't much on the basepaths, he does make excellent contact and his BB/SO ratio is the same as Harris'.

This is definitely not a move without risk, but I think there is huge upside...

...but I seem to be the only one who thinks so.

eastchicagosoxfan
01-07-2005, 11:18 PM
How about A.J. He's a lefty, with decent power. Willie bats eighth or ninth, and as the season develops, adjustments are made.

Ol' No. 2
01-08-2005, 01:30 PM
Maybe we're just defining bat control differently. To me, bat control has nothing to do with batting average. Its (1) making contact; (2) taking pitches; (3) being able to hit the ball in a chosen direction (e.g., hit to right to move runner to third); and (4) being able to hit the ball on the ground or in the air when the situation calls for it.

As to (1), Harris struck out in about 16.7% of his plate appearances last year, whereas Rowand struck out in about 17% of his plate appearances - no material difference. As to (2), Harris walked in about 10.8% of his plate apperances, whereas Rowand walked in about 5.6% of his plate appearances - suggesting that Willie is better at taking pitches than Aaron. (I think someone more statistically adroit than me could probably find a site that shows pitches seen per plate appearance, but I don't know where/how to get that info.) As to (3) and (4), there are no stats that I know of to support one over the other. Anecdotally, I'd say that Willie seemed better at this to me than Aaron last year, but who knows.You can get PIT/PA at ESPN. For 2004:

Harris: 3.98
Rowand: 3.58