PDA

View Full Version : Sox current payroll???

scooter300
01-07-2005, 02:17 PM
Anyone know what the current payroll is? Not that payroll always equates with winning, or that the white sox are trying to be cheap (I think they have wisely abstained from overpaying free agents this year), but we got rid of Ordonez (14 mil?), Lee (6 mil), Valetine (5 mil), and added Dye, El Duque, Hermanson, and A.J., for what seems to be half of the salaries previously mentioned. I am interested in how much money we have left to spend if we assume they spend what they did last year.

rdivaldi
01-07-2005, 02:27 PM
I think this is pretty accurate...

1B - Konerko - 8.75
2B - Harris - .33
3B - Crede - .35
SS - Uribe - 2.15
LF - Podsednik - .55
CF - Rowand - (1.5)
RF - Dye - 4
C - Pierzynski - 2.25
DH - Thomas - 8

C - Davis - 1
UO - Perez - 1
UO - Everett - 4
Bench - .3
Bench - .3

SP - Buehrle - 5.75
SP - Garcia - 8
SP - Hernandez - 3.5
SP - Contreras - 6
SP - Garland - 3.4

RP - Takatsu - 2.5
RP - Marte - 1.5
RP - Politte - 1
RP - Hermanson - 2
RP - Vizcaino - (1.5)
RP - Cotts - .3

TOTAL - $69.93 million

IMO, we should have at least another $2 million to spend...

scooter300
01-07-2005, 02:37 PM
Very thorough - thanks so much. By this calculation I dont think we can fault them for not spending enough, and none of the contracts really look out of whack except for Everett and Contreras.

BRDSR
01-07-2005, 02:51 PM
Very thorough - thanks so much. By this calculation I dont think we can fault them for not spending enough, and none of the contracts really look out of whack except for Everett and Contreras.
And those only look out of whack based on their production last season. Based ont he production that they've had in the past, neither of those contracts are out of whack. I honestly think that the White Sox will go into the 2005 season with some of the most well-spent money in baseball. That doesn't necessarily translate into wins, but I think KW has probably been the best GM in baseball this offseason. Other teams(notably the Yankees) have had better offseasons overall, but really, how hard is to be Brian Cashman? I am a huge KW fan right now.

rdivaldi
01-07-2005, 02:54 PM
Other teams(notably the Yankees) have had better offseasons overall, but really, how hard is to be Brian Cashman?
Would you want Steinbrenner to be your boss? Granted you'd have all the financial means, but I bet he's a bitch to work for. I almost guarantee that if the Yankees don't win the World Series, Cashman is toast.

Paulwny
01-07-2005, 03:00 PM
Would you want Steinbrenner to be your boss? Granted you'd have all the financial means, but I bet he's a bitch to work for. I almost guarantee that if the Yankees don't win the World Series, Cashman is toast.
.... and possibly Torre. When you're given the players you want, have a payroll almost $100 mil more then your closest competitor and don't win the WS, you have to field some of the blame.

JKryl
01-07-2005, 03:29 PM
While I agree with you, I think that Steinbrenner has the right to demand the very best with his payroll. For instance, RJ is reported to have signed for 32 million over two years. Now, that's not chump change.

scooter300
01-07-2005, 04:30 PM
Right, being the GM of the Yankees is no duh. "Who was last year's MVP and Cy Young winner? Yes, Mr Steinbrenner, I'll make them a Yankee." As far as KW goes, I don't think he was aggressive enough in getting a top player here, but on the other hand he would have had to overpay for many of them. But when you are the WS you have to overpay at some point. Also, getting rid of Lee? not so fond of that trade either. He seemed to have a solid, all around game.

NardiWasHere
01-07-2005, 04:43 PM
But when you are the WS you have to overpay at some point.
Why would you say that? Dye took less than market value.. Garcia took less than market value... i think Shingo chose ChiSox because his wife went to school here- not overpaying...

gobears1987
01-07-2005, 08:11 PM
SP - Buehrle - 5.75
SP - Garcia - 8
SP - Hernandez - 3.5
SP - Contreras - 6
SP - Garland - 3.4
cheapest group of 5 competent starters.

scooter300
01-07-2005, 08:22 PM
Why would you say that? Dye took less than market value.. Garcia took less than market value... i think Shingo chose ChiSox because his wife went to school here- not overpaying...
What I am saying is that I feel that if the white sox are going to get a true star they will have to overpay. Neither Dye nor Shingo are stars. Why would a star player want to come play for the white sox when they have the option of playing for a championship with teams like Anaheim, Yanks, Boston, etc.? I feel like the White Sox only hope of acquiring these players is simply by out-bidding those teams, and hence probably over paying for them. See Randy Johnson for a recent example - he didn't want any part of the White Sox.

konerko1413
01-07-2005, 08:45 PM
Anyone know what the current payroll is? Not that payroll always equates with winning, or that the white sox are trying to be cheap (I think they have wisely abstained from overpaying free agents this year), but we got rid of Ordonez (14 mil?), Lee (6 mil), Valetine (5 mil), and added Dye, El Duque, Hermanson, and A.J., for what seems to be half of the salaries previously mentioned. I am interested in how much money we have left to spend if we assume they spend what they did last year.
it may be half the salary but other players salaries get bigger too
when KW says hes only got 2mil left, id believe hes only got about 2mil left

jabrch
01-08-2005, 01:23 AM
Where are we at now with AJ and Duque on the roster?

DiGiSyKo
01-08-2005, 01:34 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43762

NardiWasHere
01-08-2005, 03:08 PM
I feel like the White Sox only hope of acquiring these players is simply by out-bidding those teams.
Wait, in order for a team to sign a player, they must outbid other teams?

Dude, any team outbids another team for a player, this is not overpaying. Overpaying would be if WhiteSox offered a better contract to a player than another team and still had to up the offer... can you give me an example of that?

BRDSR
01-08-2005, 05:07 PM
See Randy Johnson for a recent example - he didn't want any part of the White Sox.
Man, I don't want Randy Johnson at three years, 48 million dollars. I mean, isn't that effectively what the Yankees will be paying him over the next three years or do I have that mistaken? That seems like an awful lot for a quickly aging pitcher. I know that the Yankees can't really be financially handicapped but I predict that by 2007 they're going to be very upset they offered him that contract.