PDA

View Full Version : Historic Free Agent Busts

Baby Fisk
01-07-2005, 12:26 PM
Interesting in that not a single White Sox signing is mentioned (tho Albert Belle and Jaime Navarro are noted at the bottom).

10 Free Agent Signings That Went The Most Wrong (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/pete_mcentegart/01/07/ten.spot/index.html)

MUsoxfan
01-07-2005, 12:30 PM
Albert had at least a good year with the Sox. It would be overkill to mention Navarro twice....haha

Flight #24
01-07-2005, 12:31 PM
Interesting in that not a single White Sox signing is mentioned (tho Albert Belle and Jaime Navarro are noted at the bottom).

10 Free Agent Signings That Went The Most Wrong (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/pete_mcentegart/01/07/ten.spot/index.html)
Except they have Navarro as a Brewer and the O's signing of Belle, not the Sox. Truth be told, they did get a lot more screwed than we did by Albert.

MUsoxfan
01-07-2005, 12:34 PM
Truth be told, they did get a lot more screwed than we did by Albert.
Weren't they still paying him through 2003? Which would explain their feast on FA's they had last offseason

samram
01-07-2005, 12:38 PM
Where is Chan Ho Park? Another bad one would be Wilson Alvarez signing with TB. Or Todd Hundley with the Cubs. Or Steve Buchele with the Cubs. Or Dave Smith with the Cubs. Or Danny Jackson with the Cubs.:D:

RKMeibalane
01-07-2005, 12:43 PM
I'm surprised they didn't include the Chris Sabo signing in 1995.

moochpuppy
01-07-2005, 02:03 PM
Or John Kruk, or Steve Sax.

WinningUgly!
01-07-2005, 02:05 PM
Sabo wasn't exactly a major FA signing...1 year at $550,000. He was already washed up & the Sox were his 3rd team in 3 years.

WinningUgly!
01-07-2005, 02:09 PM
Or John Kruk, or Steve Sax.
We got Sax through a bad trade.

Steve Sax & his fat salary for Melido Perez, Bob Wickman & Domingo Jean. :o:

RKMeibalane
01-07-2005, 02:25 PM
We got Sax through a bad trade.

Steve Sax & his fat salary for Melido Perez, Bob Wickman & Domingo Jean. :o:
Ahh... the memories.

StillMissOzzie
01-07-2005, 06:24 PM
Where is Chan Ho Park? Another bad one would be Wilson Alvarez signing with TB. Or Todd Hundley with the Cubs. Or Steve Buchele with the Cubs. Or Dave Smith with the Cubs. Or Danny Jackson with the Cubs.:D:
Let's not forget Mel Rojas, either!

SMO
:gulp:

buehrle4cy05
01-07-2005, 06:32 PM
What has Jason Giambi done with the Yanks? He's a pretty big bust.

RKMeibalane
01-07-2005, 06:39 PM
What has Jason Giambi done with the Yanks?
Juiced.

duke of dorwood
01-07-2005, 10:25 PM
Ron Bloomberg, right here

Foulke29
01-08-2005, 12:44 AM
I think the Billy Krotch contract extension is worth mentioning!

FarWestChicago
01-08-2005, 12:46 AM
I think the Billy Krotch contract extension is worth mentioning!Except for the fact it has nothing to do with this thread since he wasn't a free agent. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/confused.gif

:hijacked:

Rocklive99
01-08-2005, 01:16 AM
Of the White Sox ones I can remember, David Wells

FarWestChicago
01-08-2005, 02:02 AM
Of the White Sox ones I can remember, David WellsOther than the fact it was a trade and not a free agent signing...

WhiteSoxFan84
01-08-2005, 03:06 AM
Albert had at least a good year with the Sox. It would be overkill to mention Navarro twice....haha
I loved Belle w/ the Sox.

1997 - .274 BA, 30 HR, 116 RBI, .332 OBP
1998 - .328 BA, 49 HR, 152 RBI, .399 OBP (steriods?)

I think they meant his Orioles contract, not our contract with him. If he had only stayed in Chicago and not went to Baltimore. We might have had at least 1-2 years of Ordonez/Thomas/Belle/Konerko/Lee. Potential Murder's Row?

Going back to the list, where's Griffey, Jr. with the Reds?

Haha, I'm kidding FarWest, I know it was a trade. But do I feel sorry for them and speaking of which, how about the Cubs and Sosa? Not only does he cost them $18 mill this year, he also costs them Carlos Beltran. The effect Sosa has on the Cubs is so underrated... too bad it's a negative one.

downstairs
01-08-2005, 05:54 PM
Albert Belle wasn't a terrible move. They overpaid him, and he was a jerk. But he did pop some 50 (or close? forgot the exact number) homers, a ton of RBI. He wasn't all that bad.

The problem is Belle is one of the RARE times the Sox will go out on a limb. And it gets worse with pitchers.

Here's the key: Take a look at the *teams* mentioned in this article. They've all been either completely dominant or, at least, have visited the World Series in the past decade (sans the Royals and Rockies).

The point is these teams gamble. When you gamble, sometimes you lose, sometimes you win.

When you don't gamble, you become an eternally second place team.

downstairs
01-08-2005, 05:58 PM
I loved Belle w/ the Sox.

where's Griffey, Jr. with the Reds?

You can't blame a team for injuries. Especially when they worked out a deal to completely underpay him by the time's standards.

The few moments Griffey has been healthy, he's been great for them, and at times has kept them in first place in the division

FedEx227
01-08-2005, 08:41 PM
You can't blame a team for injuries. Especially when they worked out a deal to completely underpay him by the time's standards.

The few moments Griffey has been healthy, he's been great for them, and at times has kept them in first place in the division
They had Mo Vaughn though, and with respect to Mo, most of his problems in Anaheim were injury-related..............and being a fat fat sexy man.

TDog
01-08-2005, 08:50 PM
I think Navarro being named as a free-agent bust with the Brewers is a mistake. The writer probably meant the White Sox.

Navarro's biggest big free-agent contract was with the Sox, who traded him to Milwaukee (in the deal where the Sox got Eldred and Valentin), where he began his career. In fact, I don't think he ever signed as a free agent with the Brewers, who drafted him as an amateur.

He signed as a free agent with the Cubs, for less money than the Brewers had paid him. After he left the Sox as a lousy pitcher and the Brewers released him, he signed free-agent contracts with the Rockies, Indians and Blue Jays, all in 2000, and they weren't for big bucks.

Actually, in 2000, the Brewers were responsible for just about all of the $5 million free-agent contract because the Brewers took it from the Sox.

johnny_mostil
01-08-2005, 08:54 PM
That list is bogus. Living where I live near Dallas, I hear every day during the summer what a total bust Chan Ho Park is. Bonilla was a bad signing, but Park is the worst ever.