PDA

View Full Version : Mientkiewicz won't give up WS ball.....

Mickster
01-07-2005, 12:08 PM
Hilarious and classless at the same time.

Here is the LINK (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-redsox-worldseriesball&prov=ap&type=lgns).

mjharrison72
01-07-2005, 12:11 PM
Hilarious and classless at the same time.

Here is the LINK (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-redsox-worldseriesball&prov=ap&type=lgns).The best part is, it sounds like a big reason for this is whininess about being relegated to defensive replacement behind Millar. It's like "Dougie... maybe you get the bat off your shoulder and you'll find your way into the starting lineup more often."
-M

34 Inch Stick
01-07-2005, 12:15 PM
On the other hand, you know someone like Ben Affleck would pay a million bucks for the ball. That is no small number. I'm sure there is a way he can let the team display it without losing proprietary rights.

By the way, anyone notice his comment about it paying for 4 years at FSU. I think it speaks volumes about the man that he would aspire to have his children go there out of all the universities in the world.

Mickster
01-07-2005, 12:18 PM
On the other hand, you know someone like Ben Affleck would pay a million bucks for the ball. That is no small number. I'm sure there is a way he can let the team display it without losing proprietary rights.
But is it his to give up???

Over By There
01-07-2005, 12:26 PM
I didn't think I could hate DM any more than when he suggested MLB take the All Star Game away from Sox fans in '03 because we didn't deserve it. But my distaste for the guy continues to grow.

What a jerk. Not that I have much love for the Nation, but that ball should belong to the organization and the fans, not the mid-season defensive substitute acquisition that just happened to catch it.

"I know this ball has a lot of sentimental value,'' Mientkiewicz said. ``I hope I don't have to use it for the money. It would be cool if we have kids someday to have it stay in our family for a long time. But I can be bought..."

idseer
01-07-2005, 12:28 PM
But is it his to give up???
i don't see why not. he got it last.
if boston wants it .... PAY FOR IT! just like someone catching a big home run ball. if the player wants it back he can pay for it in some fashion.

there are no rules about this sort of thing and that's why it's his to do with whatever he wants.

34 Inch Stick
01-07-2005, 12:28 PM
Absolutely and I don't think the Red Sox want to spend the money to contest it either. The court briefs would make interesting reading (something about a fox going through a field in England).

MUsoxfan
01-07-2005, 12:50 PM
This guy makes Ordonez look like St. Magglio. #1 Mientkiewicz wasn't even on the team for most of the year. I can see if a guy like Varitek or Ramirez/Ortiz ended up with the ball. They've either been with the team a long time or contributed SIGNIFIGANTLY to the winning of that World Series. #2 He "hopes he doesn't need it for money." *****! Does he plan on MC Hammer-ing his money away? He's probably fairly well off, and any decent financial management would keep him from selling the ball to put food on the plates of his children. #3 Just what an a-hole. The team trades for him, puts him in the game when they really didn't absolutely need to most of the time, and just wants the ball that won them the World Series for the first time in 86 years and then he's a jagbag about returning the ball and then brags about what a jagbag he is.

Amazing

Nick@Nite
01-07-2005, 12:57 PM
Doug Mientkiewicz refusing to give back the World Series ball and him calling the ball, ``my retirement fund,'' reinforces the stereotype of millionaire athletes being selfish and only out for themselves.

Memo to Doug and/or the Red Sox... auction the damn ball to charity and send the proceeds to help the tsunami victims.

I_Liked_Manuel
01-07-2005, 12:59 PM
doug caught it last. it's his ball. it's like when a home run is caught- the team doesn't ask for it back. sorry red sox, maybe if you give him an extension, you'll get it back.

Mickster
01-07-2005, 12:59 PM
Memo to Doug and/or the Red Sox... auction the damn ball to charity and send the proceeds to help the tsunami victims.
:thumbsup: Now THAT would show some class!

Mickster
01-07-2005, 01:01 PM
doug caught it last. it's his ball. it's like when a home run is caught- the team doesn't ask for it back. sorry red sox, maybe if you give him an extension, you'll get it back.Doesn't anyone differentiate a HR or foul ball going into the stands out of play and Dougie M's situation????

samram
01-07-2005, 01:05 PM
I think he would come off a lot better if he said he wanted it for the sentimental value, but when his attitude is basically he could take it or leave it as long as someone will pay for it, he ends up looking like a jerk.

Also, Florida State? First, I'm sure his salary last year could pay for may years of schooling at FSU. Second, can't he aspire a little higher than that?

samram
01-07-2005, 01:09 PM
Doesn't anyone differentiate a HR or foul ball going into the stands out of play and Dougie M's situation????
It's an interesting question. I wonder what would happen if a player gets his 3000th hit, the ball is thrown in to the dugout, and the equipment manager takes the ball to the GM or another nonplayer team employee, and the team claims it's their ball. There's no rule written anywhere, as far as I know.

MUsoxfan
01-07-2005, 01:19 PM
It's an interesting question. I wonder what would happen if a player gets his 3000th hit, the ball is thrown in to the dugout, and the equipment manager takes the ball to the GM or another nonplayer team employee, and the team claims it's their ball. There's no rule written anywhere, as far as I know.
Major difference between a player accomplishment and a team accomplishment. Dougie didn't win the series on his own...therefore not his ball to decide to do with it as he pleases.

samram
01-07-2005, 01:22 PM
Major difference between a player accomplishment and a team accomplishment. Dougie didn't win the series on his own...therefore not his ball to decide to do with it as he pleases.
Yeah, I think that's right, despite what I said in an earlier post. It's pretty easy to distinguish between the team and individual accomplishment. If anyone could claim individual ownership, I think it would be Foulke, who made the pitch.

StillMissOzzie
01-07-2005, 01:42 PM
I really liked the part where he said (and I'm gonna paraphrase here) that "I've been through hell and back this year". Yeah, Dougie, getting benched by the Twinkies before getting traded to the eventual WS champions is a real death sentence. *****. You'd think this guy would have his children's college money taken care of by now. I wouldn't mind seeing the Red Sox cutting him loose so he can sell his precious baseball for food money.

SMO
:angry:

idseer
01-07-2005, 01:52 PM
I really liked the part where he said (and I'm gonna paraphrase here) that "I've been through hell and back this year". Yeah, Dougie, getting benched by the Twinkies before getting traded to the eventual WS champions is a real death sentence. *****. You'd think this guy would have his children's college money taken care of by now. I wouldn't mind seeing the Red Sox cutting him loose so he can sell his precious baseball for food money.

SMO
:angry:
seems to me that's exactly what he was saying. to hell (being benched by the twins) and back (being traded to the red sox).

i don't see why anyone minds this at all. it's his. he wins the lottery. would YOU (those that think he's a jerk for keeping it) give it back? not bloody likely.

SOXintheBURGH
01-07-2005, 01:56 PM
What if the ball had pop flied to short or someone else in the infield instead of being a ground out to first? I really can't see a scenario of someone keeping that ball for selfish gains. I guess he did win the lottery.

Mickster
01-07-2005, 01:56 PM
would YOU (those that think he's a jerk for keeping it) give it back? not bloody likely.
i bloody would.

idseer
01-07-2005, 02:02 PM
i bloody would.
yeah

ok :rolleyes:

Mickster
01-07-2005, 02:03 PM
yeah

ok :rolleyes:Sorry. I forgot who I was speaking to...
:cleo

MUsoxfan
01-07-2005, 03:26 PM
i bloody would.
I would give it back to. If I had the opportunity I would have already won the "lottery" by getting the chance to be a major league baseball player. If I won the World Series, the last thing I would be concerned about is selling the game-winning ball. So this makes me think that Dougie really didn't care about the WS ring because the first thing he had on his mind was selling that ball because he really really had to take care of it throughout that celebration. Greedy prick. I guess $2.8m + playoff money + WS money isn't nearly enough for one to live off of

doublem23
01-07-2005, 04:12 PM
I guess $2.8m + playoff money + WS money isn't nearly enough for one to live off of
Have you seen the out of state tuition at FSU?

Assuming I was making seven-figures to play baseball for a living, I'd give the ball back, too. Now if I was at the game and Doug threw the ball in the stands and I grabbed it, I'd take Boston for every ****ing cent I could get. :tongue:

MUsoxfan
01-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Now if I was at the game and Doug threw the ball in the stands and I grabbed it, I'd take Boston for every ****ing cent I could get. :tongue:

As would I.

Mickster
01-07-2005, 04:19 PM
As would I.
Me too! :yoohoo:

34 Inch Stick
01-07-2005, 04:43 PM
Did anyone think any worse of Joe DiMaggio or Pete Rose when they put a price on anything and everything that could remotely be connected to their names.

downstater
01-07-2005, 04:47 PM
This will end up being Boston's new curse. The Doug M. Ball.

MUsoxfan
01-07-2005, 04:47 PM
Did anyone think any worse of Joe DiMaggio or Pete Rose when they put a price on anything and everything that could remotely be connected to their names.
When I think "Red Sox World Series", I can think 10 things and none of them are "Mientkiewicz". Him selling any homerun ball, foul ball, base hit, baseball card or anything else that he did as a personal accomplishment or has his likeness on it, he's free to do whatever with. This is stealing from the Red Sox and the people of New England. Classess to the 100th degree.

Flight #24
01-07-2005, 04:51 PM
I would give it back to. If I had the opportunity I would have already won the "lottery" by getting the chance to be a major league baseball player. If I won the World Series, the last thing I would be concerned about is selling the game-winning ball. So this makes me think that Dougie really didn't care about the WS ring because the first thing he had on his mind was selling that ball because he really really had to take care of it throughout that celebration. Greedy prick. I guess $2.8m + playoff money + WS money isn't nearly enough for one to live off of
What's incredible is that this is going to make him likely the 1 thing remotely associated with the WS win that's viewed negatively by BoSox fans. As has been said elsewhere, anyone remotely associated with the team will have the ability to make $$$ off of that association for life. There'll be bench players getting speaking engagements & fake jobs forever....except for Dougie boy. And if he'd just said "I'm donating this to the people of Boston instead of selling it, the fans who waited so long deserve it.", he'd be forever a hero in New England.

Nice going Dougie! :thumbsup:

Soxzilla
01-07-2005, 04:52 PM
If I were Doug M in this situation I would make Boston buy the ball back by donating money to a charity of my choice.

However, if I were Soxzilla ... I'd bleed the Red Sox of every cent I could ... especially since I'm a White Sox fan!:cool:

batmanZoSo
01-07-2005, 08:15 PM
We want it because we wanna make money off of it by displaying it in a museum.

StillMissOzzie
01-07-2005, 09:55 PM
However, if I were Soxzilla ... :cool:
And you are.

SMO

zach074
01-07-2005, 11:53 PM
They better get it back before Harry Caray's buys it and blows it up.

FightingBillini
01-08-2005, 12:31 AM
This will end up being Boston's new curse. The Doug M. Ball.
Oh god. I am envisioning it now. I hope Mientiahsdouawgerp8q0oe9wgb doesn't check these boards, because I bet he will come out and "curse" the Red Sox now. As dumb as it is, 4 years from now if Boston hasn't won again, people will start talking about "the curse of Mientkiewicz".
:chunks
Not only will we have to hear about another BS curse until they win again, but this schmuck will have his name in the news for years.

WinningUgly!
01-08-2005, 12:31 AM
First, I'm sure his salary last year could pay for may years of schooling at FSU. Second, can't he aspire a little higher than that? I'm pretty sure Dougie played his college ball at Florida State.

The BoSox should just be happy he actually hung onto the ball, when Foulke flipped it over to him. I wonder what Bill Buckner's oppinion on this would be.

beckett21
01-08-2005, 12:36 AM
I'm pretty sure Dougie played his college ball at Florida State.
I also believe he grew up in Miami and played HS ball with A-Rod.

Rocklive99
01-08-2005, 12:43 AM
He is ripping them off enough by getting a ring, if it was me, I would've given it to the Red Sox right away, it just makes him sound ungrateful for them bringing him to a WS winning team. The thing that makes it worse is how he talks about retirement and putting a kid through college, on his salary. He spent too much time with Sprewell when he was in Minnesota.

samram
01-08-2005, 07:55 AM
I'm pretty sure Dougie played his college ball at Florida State.

The BoSox should just be happy he actually hung onto the ball, when Foulke flipped it over to him. I wonder what Bill Buckner's oppinion on this would be.
Yeah, I figured that he had played there, I just thought it was dumb for him to act as if his salary wouldn't cover many years at a public school.

dcb33
01-08-2005, 11:58 AM
Absolutely and I don't think the Red Sox want to spend the money to ...............contest it either. The court briefs would make interesting reading (something about a fox going through a field in England).I don't think they'd litigate the issue becuase they'd lose. Since the home team always supplies the baseballs used for games, wouldn't the St. Louis Cardinals technically "own" the ball? St. Louis has no reason to try to get the ball from Doug M., and I fail to see how the Red Sox would have any more of a legitimate claim to the ball than Doug M. Since he has posession of it, it should be his.
I hope Doug M. keeps it- he was smart enough to hold onto it amid all of the chaotic celebration afterwards, so why should he give it up now? If the ball were that important to the Red Sox, they should've thought ahead and made sure the ball was confiscated immediately after the game, and not wait to try to go after it a couple months after the fact.

soxwon
01-08-2005, 02:16 PM
hey its his ball.

why the fuss?

johnny_mostil
01-08-2005, 02:41 PM
I don't think they'd litigate the issue becuase they'd lose.
The problem is they routinely allow the players to keep the balls as personal trophys. Minky could claim he was keeping it as a personal trophy of catching that toss from Foulke. Had they told the team beforehand that they wanted the final ball it might be different.

That said, the classy thing is to auction it off and donate the proceeds to charity. The Red Sox should pretend that they plan on winning again before 2090.

Fenway
01-08-2005, 03:35 PM
They better get it back before Harry Caray's buys it and blows it up.
I would be in favor of Ben Affleck buying the ball on the condition we could blow HIM up at the Cask and Flagon

But as far as who has rightful claim to the ball.....the New York Times had this from a Harvard Law professor on Saturday's FRONT page ( of course after John Henry. the NYT has the most $$$ invested in the Red Sox)

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/08/sports/baseball/08redsox.html
Paul Weiler, a professor of law at Harvard, sided with the Red Sox.

"Certainly, if it had gone into the hands of a fan in the stands, like the one who caught McGwire's 70th home run, it belongs to the person who paid to be there catching the ball," Weiler said in an e-mail message. "On the other hand, Mientkiewicz is being paid by the Red Sox. To be out on the field catching that ball, and as an employee, even a unionized one, his rights likely are different."

here is a link to the WEEI interview in question

http://rope.weei-am.fimc.net/audio/dougm.wvx

Rocklive99
01-09-2005, 01:33 AM
Hmm, talked to a friend in Boston and it turns out Mientkiewicz was kidding and the writer of the article tried to make it look like that it was serious or something

idseer
01-09-2005, 10:52 AM
Hmm, talked to a friend in Boston and it turns out Mientkiewicz was kidding and the writer of the article tried to make it look like that it was serious or something
wait! you're saying a 'writer made the whole scenario up?
wow. who'd a thunk it?

meanwhile, the same hatred that consumes cub haters also consumes aj haters and they can't WAIT to believe the worst.

some things never change.

oeo
01-09-2005, 01:08 PM
:thumbsup: Now THAT would show some class!
That would show some class, but they would NEVER do that.

gosox3072
01-09-2005, 08:23 PM
When I think "Red Sox World Series", I can think 10 things and none of them are "Mientkiewicz".
LOL i didnt even know Mientkiewicz was on the red sox. Shows how important he was to them!

Nick@Nite
01-09-2005, 08:36 PM
That would show some class, but they would NEVER do that.
Maybe one of Theo Epstein's lackeys will do a google search to gage public opinion, see this thread, and come to their senses.

Like I said earlier... Mientkiewiwcz or the Red Sox are coming across as total asses in the first degree... auction the damn ball to charity, then send the proceeds to aid the tsunami victims. :mad:

Fenway
01-10-2005, 04:33 PM
wait! you're saying a 'writer made the whole scenario up?
wow. who'd a thunk it?

meanwhile, the same hatred that consumes cub haters also consumes aj haters and they can't WAIT to believe the worst.

some things never change.

It wasn't "some" writer

it was the hack that invented the Curse to begin with

Nobody gave a damn about sportswriters outside the newspaper until Eddie Einhorn had the idea of "The Sportswriters on TV" which had a national following on the old Sports Channel. Because of their success reporters became media hounds.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/01/07/for_now_hes_having_a_ball/

For now, he's having a ball

By Dan Shaughnessy, Globe Columnist *|* January 7, 2005

Doug Mientkiewicz has the ball. The Red Sox want it back. Stay tuned.