PDA

View Full Version : Could we sign Magglio?? (WAIT, listen to me, then laugh)

nasox
01-07-2005, 11:31 AM
I was thinking that the way things are going, there isn't much of a market for Maggs. The Cubs can't sign him with Sosa on the payroll as there wouldn't be a place for him nor the money for him. And they can't unload Sosa as nobody wants him.

Realistically, who is in the war for Maggs? Everyone who might be is in the run for Beltran or has drawn out. So Maggs got greedy and got nothing.

With the state of his knee, there probably won't be a taker for a long term contract, even with Boras (actually, because of Boras). So maybe, in a little bit, when he becomes desperate, we could jump back in and sign him for a one year deal on the cheap. I think he'll get desperate because I don't think he'll get another offer.

Obviously, this may not even happen, as some dumb team may still offer Maggs big money. ANd the other thing is that if Maggs is out of options, he might not want to come back to the Sox and might not want to have to crawl back Unkie Jerry and admit he was a jack*** and a greedy SOB.

What do guys think? Deep deep deep pink or just plain stupid or what? May I be on to something?

EDIT: I posted this in the wrong forum. Sorry, I meant for it to be in the clubhouse. Could a mod move it? THanks. :(:

Jjav829
01-07-2005, 11:34 AM
He would have to get real desperate because the Sox can't talk to him again until May 1. I think the relationship is too strained that even if Maggs signs a one-year deal elsewhere, and becomes a free agent next year, there wouldn't be mutual interest between the two.

FightingBillini
01-07-2005, 11:35 AM
Well, if so, we wouldn't be able to sign him until May 1, because he was a non tendered free agent. However, Im expecting the Orioles will jump in with a ridiculous contract that will hamped that franchise for 4 years down the road.

RKMeibalane
01-07-2005, 11:36 AM
Maggs has made it clear that he doesn't want be here.

Flight #24
01-07-2005, 11:36 AM
I was thinking that the way things are going, there isn't much of a market for Maggs. The Cubs can't sign him with Sosa on the payroll as there wouldn't be a place for him nor the money for him. And they can't unload Sosa as nobody wants him.

Realistically, who is in the war for Maggs? Every who might be is in the run for Beltran or has drawn out. So Maggs got greedy and got nothing.

With the state of his knee, there probably won't be a taker for a long term contract, even with Boras (actually, because of Boras). So maybe, in a little bit, when he becomes desperate, we could jump back in and sign him for a one year deal on the cheap. I think he'll get desperate because I don't think he'll get another offer.

Obviously, this may not even happen, as some dumb team may still offer Maggs big money. ANd the other thing is that if Maggs is out of options, he might not want to come back to the Sox and might not want to have to crawl back Unkie Jerry and admit he was a jack*** and a greedy SOB.

What do guys think? Deep deep deep pink or just plain stupid or what? May I be on to something?
I mentioned this a while back, but if Maggs is getting 1-year, incentive-laden deals, why not have the Sox offer him one? I know they can't resign him until 5/1, but as we get close to ST, all JR & KW have to do is call him up and say "OK Maggs, you were a valued member of the White Sox family, and we're not turning our back on you. You have full usage of our facilities to rehab & train, you know our staff & coaches & Hermie's the best in the biz. And while we can't resign you, if *wink-wink* you're still unsigned on 5/1, we'll be willing to offer a 1-year, $2mil deal with PT & performance-based incentives that can get it back to your old salary."

I doubt it happens because Maggs has torpedoed that bridge with his greed & ridiculous statements. But it would be nice.

nccwsfan
01-07-2005, 11:37 AM
I don't think Magglio could sign with the White Sox until May 1st at the earliest, and I would think that by that time he'll bite on someone's incentive-laden offer.

Not an impossible scenario but an improbable one.

MUsoxfan
01-07-2005, 12:54 PM
Wayyyy too many bridges burned

PorkChopExpress
01-07-2005, 01:15 PM
Where does he play? We just signed Dye, traded for Podsednik, our new lead-off man, and we have Rowand. On top of that, we already have Everett and Timo as substitute outfielders. We said goodbye to Maggs when we signed Dye (officially - Maggs and the Sox parted ways much earlier). He just doesn't fit here anymore.

StillMissOzzie
01-07-2005, 01:45 PM
After seeing Roberto Alomar come back last year after all the stuff that went on after the 2003 season ended, I think ANYTHING could happen. Not likely, but possible.

SMO

Frater Perdurabo
01-07-2005, 02:05 PM
He would have to get real desperate because the Sox can't talk to him again until May 1.

Could the Charlotte Knights offer him a minor league deal before May 1?

gosox41
01-07-2005, 03:16 PM
Maggs has made it clear that he doesn't want be here.
HE did make it clear. But he also said he wished the Sox offered him arbitration. It's becoming more obiovus why.

It'll be interesting to see what team takes a chance on him and how effetive he turns out to be.

Bob

Flight #24
01-07-2005, 03:47 PM
HE did make it clear. But he also said he wished the Sox offered him arbitration. It's becoming more obiovus why.

It'll be interesting to see what team takes a chance on him and how effetive he turns out to be.

Bob
Maggs in September: "I'm healthy & could play right now"
Maggs in December: "I'm healthy but willing to sign a 1-yr deal to prove myself"
Maggs in January: Hoping for a 1-year deal to prove himself, still no mention of anyone getting a look at the knee or medical records.

Anyone want to bet that once Beltran signs, we'll start hearing about Maggs being willing to sign Lieber-like 1-yr+team option deals so that he can rehab in 2005 if necessary?

beckett21
01-07-2005, 03:50 PM
Magglio's days with the White Sox are over.

doublem23
01-07-2005, 04:01 PM
Funny what green could do to repair them, though.

:maggs
Yooooooooooou guys... I was just kidding. I'm not a real funny guy, you know? Can I have my paycheck now?

Ol' No. 2
01-07-2005, 04:18 PM
Magglio's days with the White Sox are over.Hey, Beckett, have you seen the stories about the shockwave therapies Maggs supposedly had and the unapproved drugs? I'd be interested to hear your opinion on these. What's known about this stuff?

downstairs
01-08-2005, 07:15 PM
Nah... doesn't ever work this way.

Some team will be desperate enough to overpay him. I guaruntee it.

I pray its the Cubbies, because I have a feeling he's hiding a career-altering injury (I mean, his agent is refusing to allow teams to examine him or view his medical records!)

Whitesox029
01-08-2005, 09:22 PM
The trend seems to be that baseball players don't "hold out" through the start of a season for more money like some hockey players do. I think if he's not signed by S.T. he'll take the first offer that's given to him unless it's ridiculously low ($1,000,000, 1 year).

johnny_mostil
01-08-2005, 09:57 PM
Magglio's days with the White Sox are over.
The only reason he would stay is because he's too hurt to play. If he's too hurt to play he's not worth a can of Ranch Style Beans.

As for his days being over, there's a chance he'll come back at some point later in his career when he hits the nomadic period most players hit. Think Baines.

FedEx227
01-09-2005, 11:02 AM
but like people said, even if he comes back, he doesn't fit into our plans, we have our fast outfielders right now, we have all we need, unless Maggs wants to play SS.