PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Valdez

bigredrudy
01-07-2005, 09:26 AM
I like Wilson as the backup infielder. He looks to be a fine infielder and most importantly can play shortstop. I don't believe that Cairo can play shortstop and Cora hits lefthanded.Remember also that Cora is represented by Scott Boras. The ideal infielder would be one who hits righthanded and thus could platoon with Willie Harris. I don't like Iguchi because like Cairo he is really a second baseman. Willie Harris can never be a utility infielder because he cannot play short. When I saw Wilson bat I noticed that he had a lot better swings at lefthanded pitching. Wilson has his shortcomings-he has no power and he is definitely not an OBP guy but Ozzie likes him and they did have at least a close relationship. Wilson is cheap and would most likely be glad just to make the team and he provides speed off the bench. Our bench now consists of Gload, Perez, Everett and a catcher. There is room for only one guy. All in all I think that player should be Wilson Valdez.

kittle42
01-07-2005, 09:42 AM
The problem is you want someone who can adequately spell Harris and Uribe for stretches. Maybe Valdez would have been adequate back in the days of Ozzie, Fred Manrique, and other very light-hitting IFs, but I'm not so sure now.

Ol' No. 2
01-07-2005, 09:52 AM
I like Wilson as the backup infielder. He looks to be a fine infielder and most importantly can play shortstop. I don't believe that Cairo can play shortstop and Cora hits lefthanded.Remember also that Cora is represented by Scott Boras. The ideal infielder would be one who hits righthanded and thus could platoon with Willie Harris. I don't like Iguchi because like Cairo he is really a second baseman. Willie Harris can never be a utility infielder because he cannot play short. When I saw Wilson bat I noticed that he had a lot better swings at lefthanded pitching. Wilson has his shortcomings-he has no power and he is definitely not an OBP guy but Ozzie likes him and they did have at least a close relationship. Wilson is cheap and would most likely be glad just to make the team and he provides speed off the bench. Our bench now consists of Gload, Perez, Everett and a catcher. There is room for only one guy. All in all I think that player should be Wilson Valdez.I've been thinking about this for some time, too. I'm not too sure if Iguchi has the arm strength to play SS or 3B since his injury. If not, they have a problem. Valdez pretty much has to make the roster since he is the only backup for Uribe and Crede. But with limited roster spots available, it's going to be tough to find room for both Harris and Valdez. While Thomas is still out they can manage it, but once he comes back, who goes to open up the roster spot?

11 pitchers
4 OF (Pods, Rowand, Dye, Perez)
7 IF (Konerko, Gload, Harris, Iguchi, Uribe, Crede, Valdez)
2 C (Pierzynski, Davis/Burke)
1 DH (Everett)

fquaye149
01-07-2005, 10:09 AM
I've been thinking about this for some time, too. I'm not too sure if Iguchi has the arm strength to play SS or 3B since his injury. If not, they have a problem. Valdez pretty much has to make the roster since he is the only backup for Uribe and Crede. But with limited roster spots available, it's going to be tough to find room for both Harris and Valdez. While Thomas is still out they can manage it, but once he comes back, who goes to open up the roster spot?

11 pitchers
1 DH (Everett)
the problem is, i think we're going to be carrying three catchers (with burke a potential backup to crede too) because the best pitcher in our rotation likes pitching to burke.

Ol' No. 2
01-07-2005, 10:19 AM
the problem is, i think we're going to be carrying three catchers (with burke a potential backup to crede too) because the best pitcher in our rotation likes pitching to burke.If they sign Iguchi, I seriously doubt they'll carry 3 catchers. Who would you dump from the lineup to carry the 3rd catcher? Valdez? Only if Iguchi can back up at SS and 3B. Maybe he can, but from what I can tell, he doesn't have the arm strength since his injury. And when Thomas returns, you have the same decision to make. Who goes to make room?

eriqjaffe
01-07-2005, 10:57 AM
Who becomes expendable when Thomas is healthy? Everett? Gload?

DrCrawdad
01-07-2005, 11:00 AM
I don't see where or how the Sox can carry three catchers this season. IMHO the back-up catcher should go to the best defensive catcher. Whether that is Davis, I don't know. Unless they trade Davis, he'll most likely be the catcher, because of what they're paying him.

Banix12
01-07-2005, 12:07 PM
If he'd take a backup job i personally would like to take a closer look at Barry Larkin. I know he wants to start but I don't see a team that will let him.

If we're looking strictly in house Valdez would be a decent choice, give him more at bats in the majors and he definitely can field. Though I would like to see Kelly Dransfelt get a shot at the backup job as well if we are looking in house. In the limited time he was up last year he seemed like a good defensive backup.

maurice
01-07-2005, 02:05 PM
Valdez is an okay backup, but the Sox are in big trouble in the very likely event that a starting IF gets hurt or fails to hit. That's why KW really needs to add another IF who can play some short and (ideally) hit LHP.

SOXintheBURGH
01-07-2005, 02:28 PM
Is this the kid we got from the Fish from the Billy Koch trade? If not, what's going on with him?

SOXintheBURGH
01-07-2005, 04:53 PM
I was just drinking a Yuengling (See Parking Lot thread - "Stay Away From Hard Liquor) and was wondering... is there any news/speculation about the utility player we traded Koch to the Marlins for yet? I forgot his name already. Sorry if this was discussed in an earlier thread.

MUsoxfan
01-07-2005, 04:57 PM
I believe his name is Wilson Valdez....there's a thread all about him on the front page of the Sox Clubhouse

SOXintheBURGH
01-07-2005, 05:01 PM
I believe his name is Wilson Valdez....there's a thread all about him on the front page of the Sox Clubhouse
Right on. I had made a reply to that earlier asking the same question, but the thread was pretty inactive.

Corlose 15
01-07-2005, 05:11 PM
I was just drinking a Yuengling (See Parking Lot thread - "Stay Away From Hard Liquor) and was wondering... is there any news/speculation about the utility player we traded Koch to the Marlins for yet? I forgot his name already. Sorry if this was discussed in an earlier thread.
I have had Yuengling and it isn't half bad. Isn't it the oldest brewed beer in America?

:gulp:

Mohoney
01-07-2005, 05:29 PM
I've been thinking about this for some time, too. I'm not too sure if Iguchi has the arm strength to play SS or 3B since his injury. If not, they have a problem. Valdez pretty much has to make the roster since he is the only backup for Uribe and Crede. But with limited roster spots available, it's going to be tough to find room for both Harris and Valdez. While Thomas is still out they can manage it, but once he comes back, who goes to open up the roster spot?

11 pitchers
1 DH (Everett)
If they sign Iguchi or Cora, I don't think Valdez makes the team. So it's only 6 infielders and probably a 12th pitcher like you mentioned the other day.

Lip Man 1
01-07-2005, 08:04 PM
There are plenty of other options out there at a reasonable price who bring more to the Sox table then a throw in to the Billy Koch deal.

Cut him.

Lip

White Sox Randy
01-08-2005, 02:35 AM
and almost all of them are gone, they will be in trouble. Entering the season with Wilson Valdez as the backup for Uribe and Harris could prevent this team from making the playoffs.

Valdez has proven absolutely nothing. He hasn't even proven that he is a major leaguer. In no way should he be on the roster of a playoff-hopeful team.

I'm afraid that KW let too many quality guys go by while waiting for Iguchi. Ramon Martinez or Pokey Reese would have been nice.

I hope we don't get Iguchi. He'll be a waste of money. He hasn't played ss since the 2000 season, he's only had 2 good seasons and he is expensive.

Ol' No. 2
01-08-2005, 12:35 PM
If they sign Iguchi or Cora, I don't think Valdez makes the team. So it's only 6 infielders and probably a 12th pitcher like you mentioned the other day.That assumes Iguchi can back up at SS and 3B. That's still a question in my mind.

johnny_mostil
01-08-2005, 12:40 PM
That assumes Iguchi can back up at SS and 3B. That's still a question in my mind.
Which he probably can't. IIRC Iguchi moved to second base because of arm surgery and can't throw well enough to play there. If Iguchi were to sign, Harris' days would be numbered.

Ol' No. 2
01-08-2005, 12:43 PM
Which he probably can't. IIRC Iguchi moved to second base because of arm surgery and can't throw well enough to play there. If Iguchi were to sign, Harris' days would be numbered.That's just it. I don't think they'll get rid of Harris at all. He has a lot of potential, and improved a lot last year over 2003. Which means ANOTHER player to be the utility IF.

johnny_mostil
01-08-2005, 12:50 PM
That's just it. I don't think they'll get rid of Harris at all. He has a lot of potential, and improved a lot last year over 2003. Which means ANOTHER player to be the utility IF.
So, who's even remotely possible?

Valdez, the bird in the hand, who can play anywhere but probably won't hit much.
Iguchi, who can't play SS, who would technically be a rookie and whose performance is difficult to project.
Rich Aurillia
Alex Cora, lefthanded hitter, can play anywhere
Deivi Cruz
Rick Gutierrez
Barry Larkin
Mike Mordecai
Cody Ransom
Rey Sanchez
Enrique Wilson
Who'd I miss?

Ol' No. 2
01-08-2005, 12:59 PM
So, who's even remotely possible?

Valdez, the bird in the hand, who can play anywhere but probably won't hit much.
Iguchi, who can't play SS, who would technically be a rookie and whose performance is difficult to project.
Rich Aurillia
Alex Cora, lefthanded hitter, can play anywhere
Deivi Cruz
Rick Gutierrez
Barry Larkin
Mike Mordecai
Cody Ransom
Rey Sanchez
Enrique Wilson
Who'd I miss?I wouldn't automatically assume Iguchi can't back up at SS on an occasional basis. I just don't know. If not, I would assume Valdez would get the call because they're just not going to spend money on a guy who's going to sit on the bench most of the time. Problem is, that makes 7 IF on a 25 man roster. The only saving grace is that Harris can also back up in CF.

But then, once Thomas comes back, who goes to make room?

It almost seems that they would HAVE to be planning on Iguchi backing up at SS.