PDA

View Full Version : Enough with the Cubune....

balz1472
01-07-2005, 12:12 AM
Guys and Gals...

It's been too long since I last posted.... and I need to get this off my chest. How far into this "newspaper" did you have to go to find out that we signed a "top notch" catcher? Yes, he is a top notch catcher... one of the best in the league(s)... behind the obvious... Javy, IRod, Jorge...

Anyway... good pick up for us. What can we do to make the garbage from Mich Ave live up to the entire town? We need to do something to make them realize we DO care about the team on the south side which is not full of cry babies (I push the "FULL" part there)... and the team that doesn't directly scam its own fan-base.

I'd like to hear if anyone else is on my side on this one.

Speak up .... thanks.

-BALZ

GOSOX!:angry:

HomeFish
01-07-2005, 12:15 AM
No, there's nothing we can do.

There is, however, something that Jerry Reinsdorf can do. All he has to do is field a consistently winning team.

Lip Man 1
01-07-2005, 12:18 AM
Home:

With respect he usually does field a consistently winning team...the issue is that he needs to consistently field a championship contending team.

Lip

MERPER
01-07-2005, 01:11 AM
Of couse I am on your side... the Cubune is an extremely bias newspaper when it comes to Chicago baseball... One thing driving me crazy lately is all the Maggs-Cub stories... I know it's a realistic possibility, but nothing new is going on therefore it's not news at this time... we know he may sign there and the Cubs have interest.. yet 3 times a week there is a picture of Maggs in a Sox uni and a Cub headline for no reason but to irritate us!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

gosox41
01-07-2005, 08:17 AM
Guys and Gals...

It's been too long since I last posted.... and I need to get this off my chest. How far into this "newspaper" did you have to go to find out that we signed a "top notch" catcher? Yes, he is a top notch catcher... one of the best in the league(s)... behind the obvious... Javy, IRod, Jorge...

Anyway... good pick up for us. What can we do to make the garbage from Mich Ave live up to the entire town? We need to do something to make them realize we DO care about the team on the south side which is not full of cry babies (I push the "FULL" part there)... and the team that doesn't directly scam its own fan-base.

I'd like to hear if anyone else is on my side on this one.

Speak up .... thanks.

-BALZ

GOSOX!:angry:

It was on the front page of the sports section. It's hard to claim bias on that.

Bob

mike squires
01-07-2005, 08:22 AM
I was dissapointed not to see it on ESPN news hotlist and didnt even see it on the ticker in the evening. Not sure why they were not reporting it. other than it being Sox news.

Jjav829
01-07-2005, 08:27 AM
I found it completely laughable that when I went to chicagosports.com, the main story was on the Cubs being too cheap to go hard after Beltran. They had the big picture of Beltran in an Astros uniform. Meanwhile, the Pierzynski signing was a regular story. I know Pierzynski isn't exactly the biggest signing, but it's bigger than any free agent the Cubs have brought in so far. I don't normally complain about the lack of media coverage, but this is crap.

FedEx227
01-07-2005, 08:42 AM
yeah it just this morning appeared on the ESPN Ticker..but what do we expect.

fledgedrallycap
01-07-2005, 08:43 AM
I for one was dissapointed in Comcast SportsNet Chicago Tribune Live, they threw a blurb at the tailend about the signing and had three non-baseball contributors critique the move...:?:

I realize it is "Chicago Tribune Live", but was hoping that bias would be limited due to the Sox affiliation with the network.

TommyJohn
01-07-2005, 08:44 AM
TRIBUNE SPORTS

Sox sign clubhouse cancer; A.J. "very high risk" says expert

This team is too dumb to exist
Morrissey column, page 1

MAGGS: "I WILL PLAY FOR THE CHICAGO CUBS FOR ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!

FedEx227
01-07-2005, 08:46 AM
haha ^ sad...but true :(

Jurr
01-07-2005, 08:50 AM
I think some writers in the city of Chicago still think the White Sox (or Stockings) is nothing more than the former name of the Cubs. That's about the depth of Sox relevance to Chicago sportswriters.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-07-2005, 08:53 AM
MAGGS: "I WILL PLAY FOR THE CHICAGO CUBS FOR ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!! He may have to. That might be all the Cubs offer. Don't forget sore-knee MVP Andre Dawson handed Flubs GM Dallas Green a blank contract just for the privilege of playing on the Urinal's grass field.

:lynch&mcfail
"We're pleased to have Maggs on our team, and I'm sure the urinals around Beeeeeeaut-iful Wrigley Field will never smell better with him pitching in to clean them!"

:maggs
"Not only am I playing for free, it's guaranteed for all six years, too! WOO HOO!"

voodoochile
01-07-2005, 09:07 AM
He may have to. That might be all the Cubs offer. Don't forget sore-knee MVP Andre Dawson handed Flubs GM Dallas Green a blank contract just for the privilege of playing on the Urinal's grass field.
That was more about proving collusion wasn't it? The sore knees and the grass field were just an excuse.

Ol' No. 2
01-07-2005, 09:14 AM
It was on the front page of the sports section. It's hard to claim bias on that.

BobAnd absolutely NO MENTION of the Cubs anywhere on the front page. I'm going to save it to show to my great-grandchildren. Mark this date on your calendars, boys and girls. You may not live long enough to see it again.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-07-2005, 09:19 AM
That was more about proving collusion wasn't it? The sore knees and the grass field were just an excuse.
Yes, it was collusion and that's how the federal arbitrator ruled it several years later.

Of course Dawson had no choice. He literally had NO OFFERS to play baseball. Green filled in "$500K" in the salary box because even he was too embarrassed to offer any less... otherwise free agent Dawson is sitting at home by the phone waiting for a call that never comes.

And now you know why MLB is such a screwed up mess... this happened just 15 years ago, and I bet 90 percent of the baseball fans posting here have no clue it happened.

So we get silly ideas to make baseball more (or less) exciting by tweaking the playoff format... what a waste of time... the problems are far worse than could ever be solved by deciding 2, 4, 8, or 16 teams make the post-season.

Sheesh... I'm the crackpot for pointing this out.
:cool:

voodoochile
01-07-2005, 09:27 AM
Yes, it was collusion and that's how the federal arbitrator ruled it several years later.

Of course Dawson had no choice. He literally had NO OFFERS to play baseball. Green filled in "$500K" in the salary box because even he was too embarrassed to offer any less... otherwise free agent Dawson is sitting at home by the phone waiting for a call that never comes.

And now you know why MLB is such a screwed up mess... this happened just 15 years ago, and I bet 90 percent of the baseball fans posting here have no clue it happened.

So we get silly ideas to make baseball more (or less) exciting by tweaking the playoff format... what a waste of time... the problems are far worse than could ever be solved by deciding 2, 4, 8, or 16 teams make the post-season.

Sheesh... I'm the crackpot for pointing this out.
Well, every site needs a few crackpots...:wink:

IIRC, Dwason was one of the people who made out well in the collusion judgement.

DumpJerry
01-07-2005, 09:29 AM
Well, a front page story with two pictures that is a total cheerleader piece that all but puts us in the WS and a Phil Rogers column that makes you think we signed the next Fisk. Sounds pretty good to me.

Of course this means the Cubune can now spend the remainder of 2005 ignoring us except when a drunk Flub fan runs on the field at Comiskey.......

Lip Man 1
01-07-2005, 12:00 PM
Voodoo:

There were eight players who filed suit (at least there were eight who allowed the MLBPA to use their names) they got a sizable settlement in return for this after damages were awarded.

In addition to Dawson some of the others were Fisk, Morris and Raines. Sorry I don't remember who the others were.

Lip

santo=dorf
01-07-2005, 12:13 PM
He may have to. That might be all the Cubs offer.
I think you are underestimating the stupidity of the Orioles (go there Maggs!) organization. I'm sure they have learned nothing from Albert Belle.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-07-2005, 12:24 PM
Voodoo:

There were eight players who filed suit (at least there were eight who allowed the MLBPA to use their names) they got a sizable settlement in return for this after damages were awarded.

In addition to Dawson some of the others were Fisk, Morris and Raines. Sorry I don't remember who the others were.

Lip "Sizable award" is a relative term. The arbitrator estimated what the players would have earned had the owners not been guilty of collusion, illegal conduct under American anti-trust laws.

The players only got what was coming to them. The owners paid NO PENALTY for breaking American anti-trust laws. Any of us would have been forced to pay 3-times actual damages because we (unlike MLB) aren't exempt from anti-trust laws. (Baseball is a pastime not a business, don'tcha know.) The bankrobbers returned the money they stole.... with no further penalty.

The MLBPA has treble damages now specified in the CBA so the owners never pull this stunt ever again. But if we just tweak the playoff format we can fix all these economic issues in baseball.

Oh, and I'm the one called "crackpot."