PDA

View Full Version : AJ's arm vs. AL Central teams

hose
01-06-2005, 11:42 PM
Much has been said about AJ's poor record of throwing out base runners on steal attempts. The stolen base is a great weapon if your team has a high percentage of success. Trading steals for outs isn't a good strategy, KC was the worst in the Central followed by the Sox . Minnesota on the other hand had the best numbers. Free agency and trades are going to drastically change the AL Central in 2005 w/ the Sox adding Pod.

Here are the 2004 stolen base numbers:

Minnesota 116 - 46 * minus Guzman's 20 steals and Koskie's 9
Cleveland 94 - 55 * minus Vizquel's 19 steals and Lawton's 23
Detroit 86 - 50
Sox 78 -51 * + POD
KC 67- 48

veeter
01-07-2005, 01:16 PM
So much of throwing out base runners depends on how well pitchers hold runners on. Buerhle is great at holding runners. Can the rest of the staff follow suit? Only super stud catchers, i.e. Pudge and others with rockets/ releases can overcome poor holding of runners. Also, it will be great if Pods, Willie, Rowand and Uribe can pressure defenses.

Lip Man 1
01-07-2005, 01:17 PM
Phil Rogers column in the Tribune today talks about this 'defensive' perception with A.J. if you are interested. Daver might be reading it as we speak.

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
01-07-2005, 01:59 PM
Phil Rogers column in the Tribune today talks about this 'defensive' perception with A.J. if you are interested. Daver might be reading it as we speak.

Lip

So I take it you aren't as concerned with A.J.'s defense as Daver.

Lip, it seems you almost are "pleased" with the signing. :smile:

hose
01-07-2005, 06:10 PM

Lip
Phil makes a good point about SF's era being lower when AJ was behind the plate vs. the so called better defensive catcher.

I don't have any problem going with Peirzinski behind the plate. The Twins won 3 straight AL Central titles with him as their catcher. The only reason Minnesota traded AJ was basically because for pay roll reasons. And it could come back to haunt the Twins if the "next Johnny Bench" doesn't stay healthy or is a flat out bust.

Hawk Harrelson use to rave about AJ's ability to call a great game against the Sox.

This is going to turn into a great move by KW. Peirzinski wants to clear his name and will also be motivated to produce in order to get a raise or better contract for 2006.

MOTIVATION and Determination.....don't sell it short

hose
01-07-2005, 06:14 PM
So much of throwing out base runners depends on how well pitchers hold runners on. Buerhle is great at holding runners. Can the rest of the staff follow suit? Only super stud catchers, i.e. Pudge and others with rockets/ releases can overcome poor holding of runners. Also, it will be great if Pods, Willie, Rowand and Uribe can pressure defenses.
I agree .

I see the Sox as the ones leading the AL central in steals next year. Hopefully the success rate will be high also.