PDA

View Full Version : Can This Sox Team Go All The Way?

konerko1413
01-06-2005, 11:18 PM
Not speaking as a sox fan but speaking as a baseball fan, do u think this sox team actually has everything to make a true push to and through the playoffs to bring the world series back to the southside?

If not, what do u think we lack and what is the best way u think the sox can fill the void?

CubsfansareDRUNK
01-06-2005, 11:20 PM
Its like gandalf the wizard once said: "They never really had any hope...only a fools hope" ponder that while i grab a churro

SoxxoS
01-06-2005, 11:23 PM
I have to think so. They won't be favored, but all 5 of our pitchers can have "ace" stuff and one hit you. Our lineup can still score runs in bunches, especially if Pods can be the catalyst. I just hope Shingo can hang as closer for a 2nd year. More importantly, I worry about the mental makeup of our team not being playoff "ready." I wouldn't be too confident with many players on this team up with men on 2nd and 3rd down by one run in the bottom of the ninth other than Konerko...

konerko1413
01-06-2005, 11:23 PM
all the options for the poll should say "will get [so far] and no farther"

sorry

Milkman43
01-06-2005, 11:28 PM
I think so. They have one of the best starting staffs and bullpens in all of baseball. Also, the sox finally have talented left-handed bats in the lineup with pods and Aj. With Pods on the bases, and a break-out years for both paulie and crede, this team will be hard to beat. Not to mention they have a-ro and the most exciting player in baseball, Juan Uribe.

SoxFan48
01-06-2005, 11:30 PM
37% believe the White Sox (who are not favored in their own division) are going to win the World Series? What the hell--I have died each baseball season since 1950 and am probably ready for another 20.:rolleyes:

konerko1413
01-06-2005, 11:33 PM
I think so. They have one of the best starting staffs and bullpens in all of baseball. Also, the sox finally have talented left-handed bats in the lineup with pods and Aj. With Pods on the bases, and a break-out years for both paulie and crede, this team will be hard to beat. Not to mention they have a-ro and the most exciting player in baseball, Juan Uribe.
very true sentiments about crede, konerko, pods, and uribe

And they should remember this "2005... the year of Crede"

god i hope so, i really dont like my favorite player not peforming up to expectations

batmanZoSo
01-06-2005, 11:36 PM
I voted win it all...why the hell not?

SoxRulecubsdrool
01-06-2005, 11:41 PM
:gulp: Victory is ours! :gulp:

kojak
01-07-2005, 12:13 AM
Winning it all usually does not require the most talented team.
There are so many intangibles; it sounds cliche to say it, but it
comes down to chemistry, timing and magic and most teams can control
maybe one of those. But Luck is the residue of design and I honestly
believe that we have the talent and are now in position to bask in the joy of a championship.

It would be nice to win at least one before the apocalypse...

WhiteSoxNation
01-07-2005, 12:24 AM
I think our pitching has great depth, and we have a solid bullpen if the old forms of certain players show up.....marte 03' pollitte02' Vizquiano 03'.....Shingo 04'

Our starters are solid until Garland/Contreras who can get errattic but hopefully the pen will come up strong.
If we land Iguchi i think he could put us over the top becuz we'll then have Rowand Pods Harris Uribe Timo and Iguchi thats alotta speed there which help manufacture runs. and people say we've lost all our power (Dye-Thomas-Konerko-Crede) can combine for 100-130 HR) Alone and we kno Uribe and Rowand, and supposible Iguchi has some pop. So i see kno reason if everyone is healthy and we land Iguchi we'll be one of the top10 teams in baseball for the WHOLE season.....No mid-august complapses or allstar break 1 game up in first i can see this team 5-10 games up at the break....All that and i didnt even mention the man who lead NL catchers in RBI...Welcome Mr. Pierzynski

HomeFish
01-07-2005, 12:28 AM
No, I don't believe this will be a contending team, and here's why.

1) Lack of offense. Yes, AJ is an improvement over Burke/Davis, a huge one. However, AJ and Dye do not replace the offensive production of Magglio and Carlos Lee. Moreover, Uribe and Rowand all had years decisively outside of their norm last year, and I think it is foolish to expect either to repeat that.

2) Shaky nature of starting rotation. Garcia has trouble with giving up home runs, but he has the stuff to be a dominant #2 starter when healthy. Buehrle I believe is an inherently undependable pitcher, simply because he does not have overpowering stuff. Let's remember that he consistently has an ERA well over 4 and has had some pretty terrible starts. He is not even a #2 pitcher in my estimation, but yet is our #2 or even #1. Contreras can also be extremely terrible at times, and has an even worse ERA than Buehrle despite having much better stuff. El Duque is a big game pitcher, but is old and injury prone. Let's not even get started about Garland.

We don't have any dominant pitchers; there is not a single Schilling, Beckett, or even Wood or Prior on this team.

Shingo is also getting old, and while he had a good year last season, he should be worried about because he is an inherently vulnerable pitcher due to his lack of overpowering stuff and his dependency on more iffy things like trickery and defense.

The bullpen's better, and the baserunning situation is better by subtraction of Lee and Magglio. Whether or not it becomes better by addition depends on if Podsednik can get on base. He's coming off a bad year in terms of AVG and OBP, so he should be worried about.

I_Liked_Manuel
01-07-2005, 12:37 AM
the most important part of anything is staying healthy, and i dont see too many players on this team that have had a problem with it.

the bullpen is improved, and if cotts can step it up we're going to be really tough to beat even when starting pitching gets in trouble. he has the potential to be the sean lowe of the 2005 team.

although we're not going to score as many runs without magglio and carlos, we're going to score them more consistently. there's not going to be those series where we score 15 runs in the first game, get shutout in the second, and score 3 in the third and lose.

even with all this, i still dont think we've got enough to compete with the yankees or the red sox. that's not a knock on kenny at all. he's improved this team a ton; hell getting rid of valentin made us a lot better of a ballclub. i'm hoping that we're in serious contention come july, and i'm more than confident jerry will foot the bill for a rent a player.

FightingBillini
01-07-2005, 02:52 AM
the most important part of anything is staying healthy
Agreed. Last year Thomas and Maggs got injured. I think we probably would have made the playoffs if they both stayed healthy. It doesn't matter, though. God forbid, knock on wood, if Thomas doesn't return at full strength, or if he gets reinjured, you can't just replace one of the greatest right handed hitters of all time. This team is much much deeper than last year's, but not even the Yankees could have a backup player that would be able to step in an hit .300 with 100 walks, 100 runs, and 100 RBIs. However, this team is better equipped to deal with injuries, knock on wood. Instead of 4 guys who provide lots of offense like in past years, they will have 8 or 9 guys who will provide substantial and adequate offense, and a few of them will probably have big years.

Our offensive consistency will be improved over last year, and out pitching is great. However, I am not going to go out on a limb and say that we will win it all. No matter how good we are, there are no garantees. The best teams don't always win in the playoffs. That is what makes them so thrilling and heartbreaking. The Sox can win 120 games, and if they run into a team who has 2 or 3 starting pitchers on fire, it wont matter. See Florida in 2003. I doubt you can find many people who believe the Marlins were the best team that year, but they couldn't be beaten in 7 games. I believe it is Billy Beane who said, in an attempt to cover up for his underachieving teams, that the playoffs are a crap shoot. This is correct. The only way you can stack the odds in your favor is to have better pitching that the other teams. I think we COULD win it all this year, but we could just as easily get tossed in 3 again. I just want to make the playoffs, and I think we will. From there, I will take it one agonizing and thrilling game at a time.

Foulke You
01-07-2005, 03:26 AM
Key to the offense: Scott Podsednik
If he has a monster offensive year, this jackrabbit will have a snowball effect on the rest of the hitters and will key the offense. He needs to walk, get base hits, steal like mad and be a general pest. If that happens, this team will score runs in bunches.

Key to the starting pitching: Cuban Connection
You can count on Freddy and Buehrle to get you 14-18 wins, if healthy but if the Cuban pitchers produce, look out.El Duque needs to stay healthy and Jose Conteras needs to show he can pitch to the level of his "stuff" outside of the NY spotlight. A healthy Hernandez also means the Sox farm hands are safely held at bay in Birmingham or Charlotte and far away from the #5 slot in the rotation.

Key to the bullpen: Damaso Marte
With a bevy of right handed options in the bullpen in late innings situations, Damaso Marte will be leaned on heavily to be the main left handed bullpen weapon for the Sox again. The inexperience of Neal Cotts will mean it is up to Damaso to come in and shut down top lefty batters and most likely setup Shingo in the 8th. He also needs to return to form after an average 2004 season.

Key to the season: Kenny Williams
The White Sox will be there in the thick of things for the AL Central come trade deadline time (barring any disastrous bouts of injuries) and Kenny Williams needs to land another big impact player down the stretch as he has in the past two years. In 2003, it was Alomar and Everett. In 2004, it was Freddy Garcia. He needs to do the same in 2005, and fill the team's holes on the fly if we want to put the Twins to sleep.

If all four of these come to pass, it will be a fun year on the South Side.:cool:

gf2020
01-07-2005, 03:33 AM
Buehrle I believe is an inherently undependable pitcher, simply because he does not have overpowering stuff. Let's remember that he consistently has an ERA well over 4 and has had some pretty terrible starts. He is not even a #2 pitcher in my estimation, but yet is our #2 or even #1.

Then:

We don't have any dominant pitchers; there is not a single Schilling, Beckett, or even Wood or Prior on this team.

Admittedly, we don't have a Schilling, but i don't understand how you can hold up Wood as an example of the type of pitcher you want on this ball club.

Wood had never won more than 14 games. Meanwhile, in the past four years, Buehrle has won 16, 19, 14 and 16 games. He's also rarely injured. And how did Kerry Wood do in his one game seven opportunity?

As for "he consistently has an ERA well over 4"...

3.29,3.58,4.14, and 3.89

He went over four once in the past four years. How is that consistently?

As for Burnett, he doesn't stay healthy and has never won more than nine games. He had a 3.79 era last year and that's in the NL where they have no designated hitter. True, he showed up in the playoffs, but Mark hasn't gotten that opportunity yet.

Buerhle as a number three? Give me a break.

hold2dibber
01-07-2005, 09:30 AM

1) Lack of offense. Yes, AJ is an improvement over Burke/Davis, a huge one. However, AJ and Dye do not replace the offensive production of Magglio and Carlos Lee. Moreover, Uribe and Rowand all had years decisively outside of their norm last year, and I think it is foolish to expect either to repeat that.
You're probably right, but you've forgotten Podsednik's role. They have less pop, for sure, but they also have more speed and have more balance throughout the lineup (ala the Twins). I wouldn't be surprised if the offense struggles, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it was just as good (only more consistent) than last year. Time will tell.

2) Shaky nature of starting rotation. Garcia has trouble with giving up home runs, but he has the stuff to be a dominant #2 starter when healthy. Buehrle I believe is an inherently undependable pitcher, simply because he does not have overpowering stuff. Let's remember that he consistently has an ERA well over 4 and has had some pretty terrible starts. He is not even a #2 pitcher in my estimation, but yet is our #2 or even #1. Contreras can also be extremely terrible at times, and has an even worse ERA than Buehrle despite having much better stuff. El Duque is a big game pitcher, but is old and injury prone. Let's not even get started about Garland.

You're simply wrong about Buehrle. He has been a starter for four years, and only once has his ERA been over 4 (4.14 in '03). He's pitched more innings than any pitcher in the majors over that time period. His ERA+ (which takes homepark effects into consideration) is 125 (compared with, for example, with Kerry Wood's 116, Josh Beckett's 117, Schilling's is 131). He's a top of the rotation starter, anyway you slice it. Just because he doesn't have a power arm doesn't change that (see Maddux, Glavine and countless others as proof). Buehrle is inherently dependable - for four straight years, he's put up 225+ innings and an ERA between 3.30 and 4. He's probably been the most consistent starting pitcher in the AL the last 4 years. But El Duque's health and Contreras' ability are HUGE question marks. One of those two guys has to have a big season (e.g., 200 IP and an ERA around or under 4.00) and the other has to at least be serviceable (e.g., 175 IP and an ERA south of 4.50).

Shingo is also getting old, and while he had a good year last season, he should be worried about because he is an inherently vulnerable pitcher due to his lack of overpowering stuff and his dependency on more iffy things like trickery and defense.

The bullpen's better, and the baserunning situation is better by subtraction of Lee and Magglio. Whether or not it becomes better by addition depends on if Podsednik can get on base. He's coming off a bad year in terms of AVG and OBP, so he should be worried about.
The bullpen is a lot better and deeper than it was last year, which will make a difference. The team still has a huge number of question marks (El Duque, Contreras, Crede, Podsednik, Harris, Frank's health, Shingo). As a Sox fan, I of course assume the worst. But on paper, I think KW has done a decent job this offseason and at least has put together a team that has the possibility of being a 90+ win team.

Jurr
01-07-2005, 09:53 AM
all the options for the poll should say "will get [so far] and no farther"

sorryKind of implied.

Jurr
01-07-2005, 09:57 AM
Homefish...does this team HAVE to replace the offensive hole left by Maggs and Lee? Remember...this team doesn't have to score as many runs as they did back then, because now we have a thing called DEFENSE and PITCHING.

Math dictates that if you give up less runs, you won't have to score as many. Therefore, we may not need 250 homers to win a division. We may not need Podsednik and Dye to match Magglio and Lee's productivity. If they perform consistently, catch the ball, and are good in the clubhouse, they're doing a great job, and they're contributing to a winning ballclub.

jabrch
01-07-2005, 10:00 AM
I think the key to this season is if/when Frank Thomas can be back 100%. The sooner that happens, the better. This team looks like a playoff team. I don't think it has the firepower to match up with the Red Sox, but you never know.

Lip Man 1
01-07-2005, 01:03 PM
This team has the potential to win the 'Comedy' Central division, of course doing it is something else...just as they were favored the past few years.

As far as getting to let alone winning the World Series...the chances are slim and none.

I grant you the possibility exist of them upsetting one team among the Yankees, Red Sox or Angels to move on to the next round, but two teams to get to the Series?

No.

Lip

MeanFish
01-07-2005, 01:09 PM
Ugh, I'm normally a harbinger of optimism but I'm going to balk at the wording in this thread.

First, the thread name asks "Can the White Sox Go All The Way?" to which I respond "of course" because clearly we've got talent that in the best case scenario could win 119 games and destroy all comers in the playoffs. Does that mean I think they "Will win the WS?" Absolutely not! With the number of injuries, trades, and so on and so forth that occur during the course of one MLB season, it's extremely hard to say definitively that ANY team "will win the WS."

So, I will say this: We can win the WS. But it's going to take some dominoes falling the right way. Thankfully, we at least are playing with a full set of them, which is more than in past years.

doublem23
01-07-2005, 02:33 PM
All you got to do is get to the post-season and then anything can happen.

Hitmen77
01-07-2005, 02:44 PM
I think the Sox have the best team on paper in the division. Of course, that's been the case for the last 4 seasons and we all know how far they got each season.

Sorry guys, I'm not going to vote with my heart and say that they'll make the playoffs. I'm voting for no playoff berth. But, i'd be very glad to be wrong about this in October.

Paulwny
01-07-2005, 02:45 PM
All you got to do is get to the post-season and then anything can happen.
Yep, the big question is were the sox are in the standings when Frank is finally able to play.

Ol' No. 2
01-07-2005, 02:55 PM
CAN they? Of course.

WILL they? Who knows?

What are the odds? Only one team out of 30 wins it all. Even if you triple your odds, you're still a 10-1 shot. With all the money Steinbrenner has spent, the Yankees haven't won one in a while. A lot of things have to fall into place, not all of which are in your control.

Let's just enjoy the season and hope for the best.

Rocklive99
01-07-2005, 03:01 PM
I'm not as worried about the offense, though they are trying to replace a lot, but I'm worried that the SP and bullpen is a little overrated by this board.

Nick@Nite
01-07-2005, 03:22 PM
Each year, any team can catch lightning in a bottle (circumstances, intangibles and the so-called breaks falling into place). KW’s efforts have definitely increased this team’s chances of doing just that. If he can bolster the 2B/SS positions, the Sox chances are greater, imo.

To paraphrase doublem23's earlier comment, just get to the post-season because anything can happen.

scooter300
01-07-2005, 09:07 PM
I think .500 is realistic. Here are my quick hit thoughts:

1. Bullpen is better than last year, one of the better ones around.
2. Starting pitcher is better than last years, but more injury prone and erratic. One of the better ones 1 to 5 in the league if healthy.
3. Hitting is potentially worse than last year, definitely not better. You knew what Lee and Ordonez would give you. Posednik and Dye? Uribe for a full year? I think it is unreal to think each one of these players will have years mimicing their best stats.

Saying all of that doesnt mean they wont win the division, but I would say therre are more unknowns going into this year. But something had to change.

Lip Man 1
01-07-2005, 09:13 PM
Ol No. 2 says: "The Yankees haven't won one in a while."

If your definition of 'awhile' is four years then you are correct. The definition doesn't apply if, for example, you are comparing it to the White Sox.

God, what I wouldn't give to be 'only' four years removed from a championship.

Lip

OEO Magglio
01-07-2005, 09:47 PM
Buehrle I believe is an inherently undependable pitcher, simply because he does not have overpowering stuff. Let's remember that he consistently has an ERA well over 4 and has had some pretty terrible starts. He is not even a #2 pitcher in my estimation, but yet is our #2 or even #1.
Do your hw and stop being an idiot, if you're negative fine but this is one of the most idiotic things I've ever seen. Buehrle's career era is 3.76 so how is his era consistantly over 4, once again real dumb statement. Lets add to that he always pitches over 200 innings and plays in coors east, I know Karno has the stats of how good he did on the road last year. Using wood as an example of a dominate pitcher is once again idiotic. Also if you believe he's not a great pitcher cause he doesn't have overpowering stuff you're even a bigger idiot then I thought. Stop trying to be so fricken negative and make crap up. This could have possibly been the dumbest thing I've ever seen written on wsi. :dtroll:

johnny_mostil
01-07-2005, 09:54 PM
I think .500 is realistic. Here are my quick hit thoughts:
(snip)
3. Hitting is potentially worse than last year, definitely not better. You knew what Lee and Ordonez would give you. Posednik and Dye? Uribe for a full year? I think it is unreal to think each one of these players will have years mimicing their best stats.

Scooter, man, Ordonez didn't play most of last season, remember? And when he did play he wasn't as effective as usual. Dye isn't replacing Magglio Ordonez, he's replacing the Tag Team of Terribleness. Uribe got about 550 plate appearances last season, which is not that far from a full year.

The offense is not extremely likely to score 865 runs again, but 800 is easily realistic.

johnny_mostil
01-07-2005, 09:59 PM

1) Lack of offense. (snip)
2) Shaky nature of starting rotation. (snip)
I think you're double-parked here. The second point (shaky starting pitching) is partly a creation of playing in an extreme hitter's park. That will also tend to cause new hitters coming from pitcher-friendly parks (Dye, Podsednik, Pierzynski) to get inflated statistics. You can't tsk-tsk their pitchers-park-suppressed stats of the new batters and, at the same time, stress about the hitters-park-inflated pitching statistics of the holdovers.

Further, this is turning into a very good defensive team, which will help the pitchers -- as long as they keep the ball in the park.

johnny_mostil
01-07-2005, 10:04 PM
Starting pitcher is better than last years, but more injury prone and erratic. One of the better ones 1 to 5 in the league if healthy.

This deserves a separate response. Who is the White Sox trainer again? And outside of El Duque and Cliff Politte, who exactly is injury prone? I can't remember when Garland or Buerhle missed a start, Garcia has missed only a few in his career, and Contreras is healthy.

scooter300
01-07-2005, 10:07 PM
Obviously Ordonez didnt play much of the year, but we are projecting ahead. When we projected ahead last year we assumed we had a healthy Ordonez and we still thought we would be in a dog fight to win the division. Now we have a healthy (hopefully) Jermaine Dye to project with. So why would we project their offense to be any better? Same goes for Lee and Podsednik.

batmanZoSo
01-07-2005, 10:09 PM

Screw power pitchers, all they do is get hurt, with very rare exceptions. Give me a guy like Mark Buehrle any day of the week. You also couldn't be more wrong in your analysis of him. This guy plays, mind you, in the worst pitcher's park in baseball, and still held an ERA under 4.00 and yes, he also pitches in the American League. I believe he was also behind only Johan Santana for the best road ERA in baseball, which is one of the great equalizer stats among pitchers. Take him out of Comiskey and give him a reasonably clutch hitting/non-corpseball team and he's a Cy Young candidate, maybe a winner.

If he were on another team you'd be wishing we had him.

batmanZoSo
01-07-2005, 10:13 PM
Scooter, man, Ordonez didn't play most of last season, remember? And when he did play he wasn't as effective as usual. Dye isn't replacing Magglio Ordonez, he's replacing the Tag Team of Terribleness. Uribe got about 550 plate appearances last season, which is not that far from a full year.

The offense is not extremely likely to score 865 runs again, but 800 is easily realistic.
It's a great point that we managed nearly 900 runs with only 35 being thanks to Ordoņez (I believe that was his final total). With a healthy Thomas in the lineup, there's a good chance we could be a much better offensive team this year as well as a better pitching team.

johnny_mostil
01-07-2005, 10:22 PM
Obviously Ordonez didnt play much of the year, but we are projecting ahead. When we projected ahead last year we assumed we had a healthy Ordonez and we still thought we would be in a dog fight to win the division. Now we have a healthy (hopefully) Jermaine Dye to project with. So why would we project their offense to be any better? Same goes for Lee and Podsednik.
The Sox would have won the division but for four terrible strokes of bad luck: Frank, Magglio, and Johan Santana and Lew Ford having lights-out seasons.

With no healthy Ordonez for 2/3 of the year, no healthy Thomas for half the year, God-awful catching for half the season, a regular shortstop hitting .216 with a .289 OBP, Scott Schoeneweis posting a 5.59 ERA, and a fifth starter that was the equivalent of letting other teams hit off a tee, the White Sox still somehow won 83 games. They did this by scoring 865 runs despite all the problems, enough to counter the 831 they allowed.

Even with all the changes, you can project the offense again. You can do it using the players' 2004 stats or their projected numbers from any number of reputable sources, the difference is tiny. It still looks like an 800 run team, at least -- a better an offense than the 2003 White Sox.

The pitching and defense can be projected as well, and it looks like 760 runs or so wouldn't be unrealistic, and 720 (the level in 2003) is very possible.

There is a huge upside, something nonexistent in 2003-4, too. All five starting pitchers have ceilings where they could be filthy.

scooter300
01-07-2005, 10:23 PM
This deserves a separate response. Who is the White Sox trainer again? And outside of El Duque and Cliff Politte, who exactly is injury prone? I can't remember when Garland or Buerhle missed a start, Garcia has missed only a few in his career, and Contreras is healthy.
Dealing just with the starting pitching, El Duque is obviously injury prone. You can almost count on him being gone for a decent amount of time during the season. Contreras is 39 (or so they say now, if I remember right) and in 2003 his first major league season he missed 67 games with an injury. I just dont feel comfortable with the outlook of the health of this staff. I dont want to be overly negative, this could be the case with most staffs, but I just think we might see more of Danny Wright than we want.

johnny_mostil
01-07-2005, 10:27 PM
It's a great point that we managed nearly 900 runs with only 35 being thanks to Ordoņez (I believe that was his final total). With a healthy Thomas in the lineup, there's a good chance we could be a much better offensive team this year as well as a better pitching team.
Good estimate. Ordonez scored 32 and drove in 37. Runs Created (technical) gives him 33 Runs Created.

johnny_mostil
01-07-2005, 10:28 PM
I dont want to be overly negative, this could be the case with most staffs, but I just think we might see more of Danny Wright than we want.
You mean Grilli. Wright's career is over. And Hermanson is probably the most likely sixth starter, and he's not bad.

tsamdog
01-07-2005, 10:44 PM
IMHO, the key to the whole season is starting pitching health. Freddy has had past arm problems, as has El Duque. Garland and Contraras have both suffered from confidence issues and brain cramps. Buerhle is the best that we have, in health and stability. IF they stay healthy, then we will be fine, meaning to say in the hunt for the division title. IF they stay healthy, and we win the division, then I really like our chances in a short series. IF they stay healthy.

Norberto7
01-08-2005, 01:14 AM
Of course there's always the chance the White Sox could win the World Series (I wonder if a Devil Rays message board is having the same discussion now...?), but like has been noted, a whole bunch of stuff would have to fall into place. That said, I think this team is a step toward winning a World Series. Playoffs are a very real possibility, which, if sustained for a few years, could build a better base to go to the next level. If all goes to plan this year, perhaps in about two to four years there will be a good enough team where the fourth moon of Jupiter doesn't have to align with Saturn to win the WS.

By the way, what does this dude mean? ------->:dtroll:

Whitesox029
01-08-2005, 01:15 AM
Of course there's always the chance the White Sox could win the World Series (I wonder if a Devil Rays message board is having the same discussion now...?), but like has been noted, a whole bunch of stuff would have to fall into place. That said, I think this team is a step toward winning a World Series. Playoffs are a very real possibility, which, if sustained for a few years, could build a better base to go to the next level. If all goes to plan this year, perhaps in about two to four years there will be a good enough team where the fourth moon of Jupiter doesn't have to align with Saturn to win the WS.

By the way, what does this dude mean? ------->:dtroll: I love that name hahaha... Norberto Martin ruled!!

Norberto7
01-08-2005, 01:43 AM
I love that name hahaha... Norberto Martin ruled!! Yeah, and a .278 career hitter!!

(Ashamedly, I had to look that up...if only I was godlike enough to know all of my namesake's stats off the top of my head...:tongue:)

BridgePortNative
01-08-2005, 02:09 AM
You heard it here first. Neal Cotts will have a breakthrough year. Why you ask?
In the terrible month of August Neal was used a lot as the main setup man and posted a mid 2.something ERA. Problem was he was used way too much and did bad in September.

gf2020
01-08-2005, 03:14 AM
Contreras is 39 (or so they say now, if I remember right)
ESPN has him at 33.

What's your source for this? I know there's a lot of manipulation of age due to false birth certificates and opportunistic agents, but I hadn't heard that about Jose.

bmac5001
01-08-2005, 08:18 AM
if they can win the division (which they have a very good shot at i think) then anything can happen in the playoffs. so yes, i think this team could go all the way. everything's going to have to go right though.

scooter300
01-08-2005, 09:48 AM
ESPN has him at 33.

What's your source for this? I know there's a lot of manipulation of age due to false birth certificates and opportunistic agents, but I hadn't heard that about Jose.
I tried doing a google search to find an original source on his age but couldnt come up with one quickly. I remember when he was signed that there were many statements made then about his real age. I believe it put him somewhere between 37 and 39 years old.

wassagstdu
01-08-2005, 09:50 AM
CAN they? Of course.

WILL they? Who knows?

Let's just enjoy the season and hope for the best.I REALLY like what is happening to this team, and of course it all started with the hiring of Ozzie Guillen. For the first time in many years I am looking forward to next season enthusiastically. There are way lots of question marks, but that's the fun, isn't it? If they fail it will be in an interesting way, I am sure. For all of those who think every season is a miserable failure if you don't win the WS, remember that in baseball as in life, "Happiness is not a destination, it is a means of travel."

:fsock

johnny_mostil
01-08-2005, 09:51 AM
I tried doing a google search to find an original source on his age but couldnt come up with one quickly. I remember when he was signed that there were many statements made then about his real age. I believe it put him somewhere between 37 and 39 years old.
But since he spent the majority of his life in Cuba, any comparisons with other pitchers based on his age are flawed because his workload was very different for most of his adult life. I don't think we know how to pencil in a "36-year-old" Cuban pitcher. Is pitching in Cuba more stressful on the arm or less? Who knows?

kittle545feet
01-08-2005, 05:20 PM
Whoever voted for the Sox going to and winning the World Series, I need some of what your smokin'!:bong:

kittle545feet
01-08-2005, 05:27 PM
Sox going all the way? Come on! I know these are your opinions and you are entitled to think whatever you wish, but no way are the Sox winning it all this year. I like the spirit but reality has to set in at some point and the realizization that this team might win the division and that's it. Some of us are sounding like Cub fans with their predictions of glory. Every year it's the same thing on the North side, the Cubs are going all the way man! Let's not join in the embarassment.:dunno: :kukoo: :nuts:

chisoxmike
01-08-2005, 06:25 PM
The Twins will still be favored to win the divison, and rightfully so. I also think some people will jump aboard the "Tribe in 05" bandwagon, but, I actually think this year the White Sox can, and will win the division. World Series....mmmm, lets got get ahead of ourselves, but if the pitching staff lives up to expectations, I think the Sox will be a force to be delt with, and goodbye Twins!! Oh how happy I'll be that day! :cool:

wsbaseball9
01-08-2005, 06:35 PM
as much as id like to say we will win the world series but its just too unrealistic with teams like the yankees and red sox floating around the AL

downstairs
01-08-2005, 07:02 PM
Well, its certainly possible. Especially in this division. Basically our top 4 pitchers need to have career years. 5th starter needs an average season. Thomas and Konerko need career seasons (and need to be around *all* season!)

Everyone else needs to play to their potential. I mean, sure, some will have bad seasons... but the big ones need to have big seasons.

Remember... we just have to get to the playoffs. The playoffs are (almost) a crap-shoot.