PDA

View Full Version : who backs up AJ?

chisox06
01-06-2005, 09:30 PM
Now with the AJ signing, it looks like Burke and Davis will duel it out at ST to earn a spot on the roster. Personally, I like Burke, every time he has come up (although it's been for limited stints) hes done an admiral job. I also like the fact that he can be platooned at 3rd base, something Davis cant do. Thoughts?

Daver
01-06-2005, 09:34 PM
The wall behind homeplate will back up AJ, especially when Contreas is on the mound.

The Sox better be able to score runs in bunches, because what they have on the roster right now is going to give up a lot of them.

zach074
01-06-2005, 09:34 PM
I hate to say it but Big Ben, just because of the huge contract and his ablility to speak spanish.

Palehose13
01-06-2005, 09:37 PM
Davis. He just signed a deal. He's younger and has more potential.

EMel9281
01-06-2005, 09:37 PM
Great poll question!

This is definitely a question KW and Ozzie are going to have to ponder deeply. I really like that BD speaks Spanish, but I don't like him as a player. I think Burke would be the better back-up. He handles the bat better and can play more positions than just C (granted your back-up should only play C). Davis can't hit.

SOXintheBURGH
01-06-2005, 09:40 PM
Ben, mostly because of his new deal, being younger and his potential; and for what KW gave up in Olivo to get Davis on the squad.

beckett21
01-06-2005, 09:42 PM
I enjoyed watching Burke last year, but no doubt in my mind it's Ben Davis.

konerko1413
01-06-2005, 09:43 PM
Ben, mostly because of his new deal, being younger and his potential; and for what KW gave up in Olivo to get Davis on the squad.actually he didnt give up olivo to get davis on the squad, i think he was mostly looking at getting that top of the rotation starter, oh what was his name again... oh yeah FREDDY GARCIA

Jjav829
01-06-2005, 09:44 PM
It'll be Davis, mainly because he's due $1 million next year. It'll be interesting to see who Buehrle wants to throw to.

chisox06
01-06-2005, 09:45 PM
I hate to say it but Big Ben, just because of the huge contract and his ablility to speak spanish.
Didn't know he speaks Spanish thats an asset for sure considering our pitching staff. As far as the contract thing, I have a hard time agreeing with that logic. I dont think the amount of money a player makes should factor in a decision like this. It should be looked at objectively, not based on a players potential "worth" from the money he makes. If Joe Borchard and his huge signing bonus (The were paying him a lot, so hes gotta play mentality) is any proof to why I feel this way of management looking at things is backwards.

Palehose13
01-06-2005, 09:47 PM
Didn't know he speaks Spanish thats an asset for sure considering our pitching staff. As far as the contract thing, I have a hard time agreeing with that logic. I dont think the amount of money a player makes should factor in a decision like this. It should be looked at objectively, not based on a players potential "worth" from the money he makes. If Joe Borchard and his huge signing bonus (The were paying him a lot, so hes gotta play mentality) is any proof to why I feel this way of management looking at things is backwards.
Ok then...how about this logic:

IIRC, before signing AJ, Davis was to be the #1 and Burke be #2. Now that AJ is the #1 that would automatically bump Davis to #2 and Burke to ???

chisox06
01-06-2005, 10:02 PM

IIRC, before signing AJ, Davis was to be the #1 and Burke be #2. Now that AJ is the #1 that would automatically bump Davis to #2 and Burke to ???
It's safe to say that neither one of these guys are anything spectacular. So I would love to see them duke it out in ST and may the best man win. My point is just because Davis makes more money then Jamie shouldn't factor in the ultimate decision.

danimal81
01-06-2005, 10:03 PM

Exactly right;
and at the very least, Davis is considered a better defensive catcher so he would be a good backup to good hitting catcher...
Makes sense to me.
And definitely no room for 3 when Frank comes back.

NonetheLoaiza
01-06-2005, 10:09 PM
Burke is the odd man out. That is too bad too, because I thought he showed some promise last year. The only problem is that he is 33 years old...

Soxzilla
01-06-2005, 10:12 PM
It'll be Davis, mainly because he's due $1 million next year. It'll be interesting to see who Buehrle wants to throw to.
Personally, I think Buehrle and AJ seem to be a perfect fit. They both have big mouths, and are willing to defend their teammates at all costs.

I think they will get a long fittingly.

tsamdog
01-06-2005, 10:14 PM
Davis is my choice. When AJ is out of the lineup, we will still need a left-handed stick. As many posters have cited, he speaks Spanish. Also, I liked what Walk did with him last year shortening the swing.

Norberto7
01-06-2005, 10:18 PM
What is Burke's contract situation? If Davis' may be an issue they'd look at, I'd be interested to know for how much and how long Burke is signed.

Brian26
01-06-2005, 10:25 PM
Has to be Davis. No doubt about it.

johnny_mostil
01-06-2005, 10:30 PM
What is Burke's contract situation? If Davis' may be an issue they'd look at, I'd be interested to know for how much and how long Burke is signed.
Signed? He's got virtually no service time. The White Sox own him lock stock and barrel for more than four more years. The issue with Burke is how many options he has left.

johnny_mostil
01-06-2005, 10:31 PM
Davis is my choice. When AJ is out of the lineup, we will still need a left-handed stick. As many posters have cited, he speaks Spanish. Also, I liked what Walk did with him last year shortening the swing.
Also, remember that AJ doesn't hit lefthanded pitching well at all, kind of like Valentin although not with the same number of K's, obviously.

NowBatting19
01-06-2005, 10:39 PM
Lo siento Burke! Ben should be the backup, but maybe AJ will pick a fight with Hunter this season for a little payback on Burke's behalf. Burke can come up at the end of the season.

veeter
01-06-2005, 10:43 PM
Burke caught Buehrle's one-hitter in Cleveland last year among other fine outings. Buehrle also drove Jamie to the hospital after the Hunter cheap shot. They're buddies.

veeter
01-06-2005, 10:45 PM
Has to be Davis. No doubt about it.
Why?

OEO Magglio
01-06-2005, 10:49 PM
Also, remember that AJ doesn't hit lefthanded pitching well at all, kind of like Valentin although not with the same number of K's, obviously.
He's not terrible against 'em, just not anything special, his last 3 years he's batted .262 against south paws.

Ol' No. 2
01-06-2005, 11:02 PM
I think Burke is the better player. But based on what Kenny has said, I expect him to keep Davis.

Jjav829
01-06-2005, 11:08 PM
Burke caught Buehrle's one-hitter in Cleveland last year among other fine outings. Buehrle also drove Jamie to the hospital after the Hunter cheap shot. They're buddies.I know. Burke was Buehrle's catcher for most of last year. My point was that Burke likely won't be here this year, so it will be interesting to see if Buehrle chooses to pitch to Pierzynski or Davis.

Banix12
01-07-2005, 02:08 AM
I say Burke, everytime he has come up from the minors he has produced with the bat. I haven't really seen anything awful with his glove, he can play his position fine. He's also cheaper and can play other positions than Catcher.

Nobody here should get giddy about Davis because he has "more potential" than Burke. Two teams have already given up on Davis' "potential", lest you that before we traded for Davis he had lost his backup job for Dan Wilson to the 41 year old Pat Borders, a guy who before last year hadn't played more than 12 major league games a season since 1998.

I don't care if Davis hits lefty. taking a lefty hitter over what seems to be a more effective righty hitter just for the sake him being lefty is moronic.

Davis' only positive seems to be he speaks Spanish. Take the money saved from playing Burke over Davis and give Burke some lessons (I'm also sure Burke caught Spanish speaking pitchers in his long minor league career so I don't think this is a big deal)

Our option here is this. Do we play Davis, a has-been at age 27, or Burke a never-was at age 33. I personally would rather take a shot at the never-was who never seems to get a chance to stick than take a shot with the guy who has proven he can't hit major league pitching consistantly.

I figure though they are going to take Davis, he's at that age of 27 where players seem to hit their peak. I still don't think that his peak will be any better than a minor league catcher in his declining hears. Certainly the Mariners thought the same thing.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-07-2005, 02:28 AM
The wall behind homeplate will back up AJ, especially when Contreas is on the mound.

The Sox better be able to score runs in bunches, because what they have on the roster right now is going to give up a lot of them.
Do I not understand English anymore or do I just not understand certain people?

How can you say we'll be giving up runs in bunches?? We improved our pitching and our defense, are you telling me we were better off with what we had last year? Jose is gone, Lee is gone, Magglio is gone. We improved in 3 positions right there.

Good God Almighty. Where's my Prozac?

Foulke You
01-07-2005, 03:08 AM
Do I not understand English anymore or do I just not understand certain people?

How can you say we'll be giving up runs in bunches?? We improved our pitching and our defense, are you telling me we were better off with what we had last year? Jose is gone, Lee is gone, Magglio is gone. We improved in 3 positions right there.

Good God Almighty. Where's my Prozac?
Agreed. Defensively, on paper, this team is as good as its been in years. The Twins also happened to win a couple division titles with AJ behind the plate so I guess they manged to overcome his horrendous defense. I remember quite a few games where he really stuck it to the Sox both offensively and defensively. A fine pickup by KW. It will be nice to have him as the thorn in Minnesota's side for a change. I think you'll come around on this team Daver.

StillMissOzzie
01-07-2005, 03:41 AM

I agree that Davis is now the #2. IMHO, the question is wheather or not the sox carry 3 catchers again, like they did w/ Alomar, Davis & Burke. I think that with the aging and fragile Alomar, it was more of a necessity last year, but with two young bucks as #1 and #2, will they keep Burke on the bench or ship him off the Charlotte?

SMO
:gulp:

gosox41
01-07-2005, 09:14 AM
Now with the AJ signing, it looks like Burke and Davis will duel it out at ST to earn a spot on the roster. Personally, I like Burke, every time he has come up (although it's been for limited stints) hes done an admiral job. I also like the fact that he can be platooned at 3rd base, something Davis cant do. Thoughts?
I'd go with Davis. At least we know that when an All Star caliber player gets hurt, the Sox can always call up Burke.

Maybe that shouldn't be in teal since that is exactly what the Sox did last year.

Bob

Banix12
01-07-2005, 01:01 PM
I agree that Davis is now the #2. IMHO, the question is wheather or not the sox carry 3 catchers again, like they did w/ Alomar, Davis & Burke. I think that with the aging and fragile Alomar, it was more of a necessity last year, but with two young bucks as #1 and #2, will they keep Burke on the bench or ship him off the Charlotte?

SMO
:gulp:

I figure if Thomas is injured to start the season like a lot of people are assuming we'll carry three catchers to start the season and then send Burke down when he comes off the DL. If thomas is healthy though, there is no room on the roster for a third catcher because that would leave off a backup infielder. Right now Harris and Uribe are the only middle infielders on the 25 man roster