PDA

View Full Version : Steve Stone White Sox Broadcaster?

scooter300
01-06-2005, 05:54 PM
I heard an interview with him a day or so ago and he kept saying he loves Chicago and isnt ruling out still working in Chicago. I am just curious if Sox fans would welcome him aboard. I for one would.

SouthSideHitman
01-06-2005, 05:56 PM
I've said it for a long time, Steve Stone is the only member of any cubs broadcast team, I for one would love to have him. I'm just not sure how he would mesh with any of our current teams.

Nick@Nite
01-06-2005, 05:57 PM
I am just curious if Sox fans would welcome him aboard.Is pig pork? :yup:

:welcome:

Chisox003
I personally dont like him too much, and I dont think a Hawk/Stone duo would work...I am one of the few (or is it many....) that like Hawk and DJ and think they're hilarious, even though they dont even try to be...Hawk and DJ stays!

EvilJester99
I would like to see Stoney as a scout...he has a great eye for talent. I think he wants to be a GM or an owner someday though... It would be good to get him in with the Sox though.

zach074
01-06-2005, 05:58 PM
Maybe we could hire him to be a scout of something.

scooter300
01-06-2005, 05:58 PM
I would love to see him but Jackson would have to go. I also see him as not lasting that long because he would be critical of the Sox. His realism would be obvious in comparison to Harrelson's "homer-ism."

patbooyah
01-06-2005, 05:59 PM
if they are going to take maggs, we should at least grab the stone pony. he was the best thing about that organization.

FedEx227
01-06-2005, 06:00 PM
yeah I seem to be the only one unimpressed with his constant rambling about useless knowledge pertaining to a players mother and current living conditions

margiss
01-06-2005, 06:47 PM
Around 5:15 on ESPN, Harry noted that Steve Stone had been in ESPN studios today and that ESPN is trying to fill the early afternoon slot.

He is interested in Chicago, but it may be in an adjunct area.

Who knows, maybe we will shake up the radio broadcast team.

TornLabrum
01-06-2005, 07:02 PM
Just to add a little fuel to the fire here:

A couple of months ago Mike Murphy predicted that Stone would be named the Sox superscout for AZ and that that would be a stepping stone to his taking over as GM.

Nick@Nite
01-06-2005, 07:05 PM

A couple of months ago Mike Murphy predicted that Stone would be named the Sox superscout for AZ and that that would be a stepping stone to his taking over as GM.Hey now! That's a real juicy piece of meat to sink one's teeth into. :o:

Does anyone know when KW's contract expires?

Mohoney
01-06-2005, 07:13 PM
Maybe Reinsdorf could get Stone in as an investor.

ja1022
01-06-2005, 07:20 PM

A couple of months ago Mike Murphy predicted that Stone would be named the Sox superscout for AZ and that that would be a stepping stone to his taking over as GM.
Well then.....if Mike Murphy said so....

Seriously, I would find the timing of this to be unusual. The jury still out on Kenny and I'm sure Kenny would appreciate a move like that as much as Danny Evans appreciated being passed over for the GM job in favor of Williams.

FedEx227
01-06-2005, 07:21 PM
maybe lets not get involved with him....

and GM? As if KW doesn't make people want to sign, 10 minutes of listening to Stoneys ramblings make me want to puke.

Daver
01-06-2005, 07:46 PM
Hey now! That's a real juicy piece of meat to sink one's teeth into. :o:

Does anyone know when KW's contract expires?
When he resigns.

RKMeibalane
01-06-2005, 07:48 PM
When he resigns.
When will that be? :D:

Fake Chet Lemon
01-06-2005, 07:57 PM
Stone would be a great addition to the Sox booth. I loved how he was always three steps ahead of Duuh-sty Faker. He really knows the game, and DJ is BRUTAL! If you thought Hawk vs DJ was good, you ain't seen noth'n yet if Hawk vs Stone ever gets on the air.

Palehose13
01-06-2005, 07:59 PM
When will that be? :D:
With the way the team is looking and the moves Kenny has made in the offseason, people are still wanting him to resign? :kukoo:

NonetheLoaiza
01-06-2005, 08:02 PM
I would definitely like to see him be a member, but I wonder how he would do with Hawk. I might be in the minority, but I like DJ. He isn't terrible, thats for sure. But, if something happens and Stone becomes a part of the team, I would love to have him here.

Daver
01-06-2005, 08:04 PM
Steve Stone is a personal friend of JR, I would not be suprised to see him on the Sox payroll in one form or another, I would hazard a guess that it would be as an advisor to Kenny or as director of scouting.

RKMeibalane
01-06-2005, 08:08 PM
With the way the team is looking and the moves Kenny has made in the offseason, people are still wanting him to resign? :kukoo:
It was a joke. I should have used teal. I just wanted to see what Daver would say in response.

Palehose13
01-06-2005, 08:11 PM
It was a joke. I should have used teal. I just wanted to see what Daver would say in response.
Ahhhhhh...yes, teal would have been nice or at least a smiley! :wink:

TommyJohn
01-06-2005, 08:12 PM
Bah. Not enough room in the booth for both his and Harrelson's egos.

Jjav829
01-06-2005, 08:29 PM
I heard an interview with him a day or so ago and he kept saying he loves Chicago and isnt ruling out still working in Chicago. I am just curious if Sox fans would welcome him aboard. I for one would.
I heard this interview on MJH as well. He definitely made it sound like his options may include something within the Sox organization. He kept talking about how he loves Chicago and may not leave here. He also mentioned that he will settle on an agent soon. The interview left me with the impression that he has been in contact with the Sox and may end up working with the Sox in some capacity.

Hangar18
01-06-2005, 08:55 PM
I would love to see him but Jackson would have to go. I also see him as not lasting that long because he would be critical of the Sox. His realism would be obvious in comparison to Harrelson's "homer-ism."
Thats what I like about Steve Stone. Hes going to Call It Like It is, the Biggest reason ive always liked listening to him. Hes a Professional. I think
his being Critical and Hawks Exuberance and homer-isms would make
for one of the most entertaining telecasts. wow. But Id also like the SOX to make some kind of run at Bob Uecker before that stupid team 8miles north does it first

Kogs35
01-06-2005, 09:05 PM
Thats what I like about Steve Stone. Hes going to Call It Like It is, the Biggest reason ive always liked listening to him. Hes a Professional. I think
his being Critical and Hawks Exuberance and homer-isms would make
for one of the most entertaining telecasts. wow. But Id also like the SOX to make some kind of run at Bob Uecker before that stupid team 8miles north does it first
there nooooooo way he leaves the brewers,

EvilJester99
01-06-2005, 09:12 PM
I heard this interview on MJH as well. He definitely made it sound like his options may include something within the Sox organization. He kept talking about how he loves Chicago and may not leave here. He also mentioned that he will settle on an agent soon. The interview left me with the impression that he has been in contact with the Sox and may end up working with the Sox in some capacity.

Thats the exact feeling I got out of that interview as well. Sounded to me like Stoney already had something lined up with the Sox...hopefully. He would be a great addition in the office or booth...I doubt Hawk with his ego could handle Stoney in the same booth with him though.

DrCrawdad
01-06-2005, 10:59 PM
The surprise announcement of SoxFest will be the new Sox TV broadcast team of Hawk and Stone.

D. TODD
01-06-2005, 11:05 PM
yeah I seem to be the only one unimpressed with his constant rambling about useless knowledge pertaining to a players mother and current living conditions I couldn't agree more, Stone is knowlegable but very arrogant. He over explains mundane aspects of the game just to hear his own voice at times. I defiantly would pass on Stone in the booth. Part of the front office I wouldn't mind though

FarWestChicago
01-06-2005, 11:15 PM
I couldn't agree more, Stone is knowlegable but very arrogant. He over explains mundane aspects of the game just to hear his own voice at times.Give the guy a break. Look at his audience. How do you "over explain" to your average Flubs fan? http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Viva Medias B's
01-06-2005, 11:20 PM
The surprise announcement of SoxFest will be the new Sox TV broadcast team of Hawk and Stone.
Not to add fuel to DrCrawdad's post, but someone mentioned to me at the Loyola game tonight that Darrin Jackson would not be at SoxFest. Now I don't know if that is true at all, but if DJ is not coming to SoxFest...hmmmm.

Whitesox029
01-06-2005, 11:23 PM
I heard an interview with him a day or so ago and he kept saying he loves Chicago and isnt ruling out still working in Chicago. I am just curious if Sox fans would welcome him aboard. I for one would. Last time I checked the White Sox don't have an opening for a broadcaster--and if they did I would give it to Dave Wills in a second.

Viva Medias B's
01-06-2005, 11:25 PM
Last time I checked the White Sox don't have an opening for a broadcaster--and if they did I would give it to Dave Wills in a second.
Wills would get a TV opening should one arise? I saw Dave Wills at the Loyola game doing the UIC broadcast, but didn't get a chance to talk to him.

kaufsox
01-06-2005, 11:25 PM
While I think it is a long shot, I would love Stone in the booth. Hawk and DJ just don't seem to have any chemistry together. Half the time Hawk seems to be ignoring DJ all together. Also I think the Sox would be much more professional than the Cub players and manager and could handle a little criticism. The best moment would be during Cubs v. Sox and Stone ripping into Baker and Baker not being able to do anything about it. :tongue:

Whitesox029
01-06-2005, 11:29 PM
Wills would get a TV opening should one arise? I saw Dave Wills at the Loyola game doing the UIC broadcast, but didn't get a chance to talk to him. Well I meant that if it was I in charge, I would offer him the post immediately. I don't know what JR would do.

Church Turtle
01-06-2005, 11:30 PM
The best moment would be during Cubs v. Sox and Stone ripping into Baker and Baker not being able to do anything about it. :tongue:
THAT would be fun.:cool:

The_Cheesiest_Idiot
01-06-2005, 11:59 PM
stone would not over analyze with the sox cause hawk keeps running his mouth. stoney would get waaaaaaay less air time and maybe he'd only get a chance to give real insight...

Erik The Red
01-07-2005, 12:30 AM
stone would not over analyze with the sox cause hawk keeps running his mouth. stoney would get waaaaaaay less air time and maybe he'd only get a chance to give real insight... :hawk

"I love it when you over-analyze..."

WhiteSoxFan84
01-07-2005, 01:03 AM
Just wanted to point this out;

The day after he got fired, Stone was on the Mike Murphy show on The Score. While he was on he made mention of how much he loves the city and the possibility of him staying in town and working. Him and JR are good friends and the possibility will always be there.

I, for one, think JR would consider Stone as a candidate to replace KW if KW were to be let go.

That being said, KW, I said I'd want you to be fired if the Sox didn't win the division this upcoming year (barring multiple injuries again). I might be willing to give you one more year in my world after all the manuvering this offseason. But, in the end, my opinion doesn't mean jack, whatever JR wants, happens. I guess that's my way of saying, job well done, so far. Don't stop yet, we still need Iguchi, Cora, or some other 2B.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-07-2005, 01:12 AM
Well I meant that if it was I in charge, I would offer him the post immediately. I don't know what JR would do.Wills and Hawk in the same booth, are you KIDDING me???? They're way too passionate about the team and wear their hearts on their sleeves. Some may like that, and I somewhat do, but you also need to be a professional about everything all the time.

Main reason I respect Chip Caray is because when the Cubs were losing, he'd still show the other team respect and broadcast the game as usual. He also had his moments when the Cubs were winning and he'd get out of control cheesy. Some of you guys may remember, that 2-game series they had vs. the Cardinals, game 1 I think they were up 8-3 and the Cubs were 8 or 9 games out of first. In the 3rd or 4th inning, Chip starts talking about, "If we win this game, we're only 7 games back. With 8 weeks left in the season, if we can make up 1 game a week, we'll win the division". Ooooooook buddy. Cardinals come back and win the game 11-8 or 11 to something.

Nonetheless, he's a pro and I wish him the best in Atlanta. Model citizen.

Adding on, I think Wills does a terrific job pre and post games. I love his intros tight before the game when he says, the Twins and the Sox, NNNNEEEEXXXXTTTTT. I do a good impression of it.

gosox41
01-07-2005, 08:16 AM
While I think it is a long shot, I would love Stone in the booth. Hawk and DJ just don't seem to have any chemistry together. Half the time Hawk seems to be ignoring DJ all together. Also I think the Sox would be much more professional than the Cub players and manager and could handle a little criticism. The best moment would be during Cubs v. Sox and Stone ripping into Baker and Baker not being able to do anything about it. :tongue:
Stone and Hawk would get into. Both of them have enormous egos. DJ is forced to bow down to Hawk as Hawk is nothing but a puppet.

Bob

ja1022
01-07-2005, 08:28 AM
Didn't Les Grobstein post something here a couple of weeks ago about some impending changes in the Sox broadcast teams? He didn't reveal much but it fueled some speculation primarily about Wills or Rooney moving on. He said we would all know soon enough.....

gosox41
01-07-2005, 09:01 AM
Didn't Les Grobstein post something here a couple of weeks ago about some impending changes in the Sox broadcast teams? He didn't reveal much but it fueled some speculation primarily about Wills or Rooney moving on. He said we would all know soon enough.....
I don't recal that post but I'd rather get rid of Hawk then DJ.

Bob

Jerko
01-07-2005, 09:03 AM
Give the guy a break. Look at his audience. How do you "over explain" to your average Flubs fan? http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
I was wondering if somebody was going to point that out.

GoSox2K3
01-07-2005, 10:10 AM
Too bad the Tribune doesn't own the Sox. Otherwise, we'd be seeing articles twice a week about how Stone and the Sox would be a perfect fit and how Stone has a good chance of going to the Sox so that he can rub the Cubs' face in it.

mdep524
01-07-2005, 10:14 AM
Too bad the Tribune doesn't own the Sox. Otherwise, we'd be seeing articles twice a week about how Stone and the Sox would be a perfect fit and how Stone has a good chance of going to the Sox so that he can rub the Cubs' face in it.
With the Magglio-esque headline: Why not the Sox?

scooter300
01-07-2005, 10:29 AM
Give the guy a break. Look at his audience. How do you "over explain" to your average Flubs fan? http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
LOL. Classic....

scooter300
01-07-2005, 10:35 AM
I almost wonder if a three man booth wouldnt work out. Hawk can keep ignoring Jackson and saying his cliches - Jackson can keep saying something every 5 minutes in a monotone, forced enthusiast tone - and Stone can continue to predict the outcome of the game before it happens. I need that guy to buy my lottery tickets.... By the way, can there be a cornier broadcaster than Chip Caray? I guess if you are drunk it probably sounds witty.

24thStFan
01-07-2005, 11:10 AM
Hawk and Stone together? Not unless they get another microphone.:D:

veeter
01-07-2005, 11:24 AM

A couple of months ago Mike Murphy predicted that Stone would be named the Sox superscout for AZ and that that would be a stepping stone to his taking over as GM. I think Mike Murphy has as much inside info as I do: which means none. He kisses Hendry's backside constantly and said the Henry Blanco signing was AMAZING. I think he's way off here. But hey any jab at the Cubs makes me very happy. So I hope his wild guess was correct.

petekat
01-07-2005, 06:06 PM
jah i agree, DJ has really grown in the job and is a nice guy to boot. No role for Stoney unless he replaces Farmer, the windbag

I personally dont like him too much, and I dont think a Hawk/Stone duo would work...I am one of the few (or is it many....) that like Hawk and DJ and think they're hilarious, even though they dont even try to be...Hawk and DJ stays!

tebman
01-07-2005, 09:41 PM
... By the way, can there be a cornier broadcaster than Chip Caray? I guess if you are drunk it probably sounds witty.Sure -- just listen to Pat Hughes do the Flub games on the radio. He sounds like he just got out of the 30-day broadcasting school: "...it's a BEAUTiful day for baseball with the ChiCAGO (pause) Cubs!" His voice sloshes UP and down for DRAMATIC effect as he does little more than say how hunky-dory everything is at BEAUTiful Wrigley Field. Argghh! I can't take more than a minute or so if I pass by it as I dial my radio.

Then of course he passes a question to Ron Santo for comic relief... :nuts:

- tebman

Jerome
01-07-2005, 10:56 PM
It would be great. He would be a huge improvement over DJ and would make Hawk better.

flo-B-flo
01-07-2005, 11:15 PM
Steve Stone - working for the Sox - in any capacity would be an obvious asset. The "arrogant ego thing" would add to it. The guy is a baseball lifer and a pretty good pitcher in his time to boot. Get him.:wink:

soxnut
01-07-2005, 11:40 PM
I want a Hawk and Stoney booth. I know it was mentioned in an earlier post about DJ not being at Soxfest, well he's not listed as a Soxfest attendee on the Sox official site:

White Sox executives: general manager Ken Williams, executive advisor Roland Hemond, broadcasters Ken Harrelson, John Rooney and Ed Farmer

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_press_release.jsp?ymd=20050107&content_id=928642&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp

So, who knows? I can't remember if DJ was there last year, so this may mean nothing at all.:?:

Viva Medias B's
01-07-2005, 11:54 PM
I want a Hawk and Stoney booth. I know it was mentioned in an earlier post about DJ not being at Soxfest, well he's not listed as a Soxfest attendee on the Sox official site:

White Sox executives: general manager Ken Williams, executive advisor Roland Hemond, broadcasters Ken Harrelson, John Rooney and Ed Farmer

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_press_release.jsp?ymd=20050107&content_id=928642&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp

So, who knows? I can't remember if DJ was there last year, so this may mean nothing at all.:?:
DJ was there last year, even though he did not say much during the seminars. Meanwhile, is this Sox release a confirmation that DJ will not be there? And will it lead to speculation that Gene Honda will say at the SoxFest opening ceremony "White Sox fans, please welcome new White Sox broadcaster STEEEEVVVE STOOOONNNEEE!!!!!"

And the note that Les Grobstein earlier hinted at a broadcasting change speakes volumes.

MUsoxfan
01-07-2005, 11:59 PM
And will it lead to speculation that Gene Honda will say at the SoxFest opening ceremony "White Sox fans, please welcome new White Sox broadcaster STEEEEVVVE STOOOONNNEEE!!!!!"

And the note that Les Grobstein earlier hinted at a broadcasting change speakes volumes.
Please let it be! Please let it be! Please let it be! :wired:

Jerry_Manuel
01-08-2005, 03:33 PM
DJ was there last year, even though he did not say much during the seminars. Meanwhile, is this Sox release a confirmation that DJ will not be there? And will it lead to speculation that Gene Honda will say at the SoxFest opening ceremony "White Sox fans, please welcome new White Sox broadcaster STEEEEVVVE STOOOONNNEEE!!!!!"

Wasn't that Lip who posted about potential changes? Or did I miss a post from Les?

DrCrawdad
01-08-2005, 06:17 PM

I don't remember Grobber hinting at a change in broadcasters. Earlier in this thread I speculated that a suprise announcement at SoxFest would be the addition of Stone to the Sox broadcast crew.

Jerry_Manuel
01-08-2005, 06:51 PM
I don't remember Grobber hinting at a change in broadcasters. Earlier in this thread I speculated that a suprise announcement at SoxFest would be the addition of Stone to the Sox broadcast crew.
Yeah, it was Lip in the Hawk rumor thread talking about a broadcaster leaving.

DJ is going to be at personal function that's why he won't be at Soxfest. So I think this Stone talk is wishful thinking. I'd love to see it though.