PDA

View Full Version : Sox broadcating duo poll

Sox-on-TV44
01-06-2005, 10:38 AM
Okay since we did play by play and thier partners,I ask you which was the best broadcating duo for the Sox (TV or Radio)?

Nick@Nite
01-06-2005, 11:20 AM
I thought the chemistry between Hawk & Wimpy was great. I wonder why the Sox let Paciorek go?

Lip Man 1
01-06-2005, 01:00 PM
Obviously WSI is populated with fans who weren't around to hear Harry and Jimmy in their prime.

Don and Hawk are a very solid second place with Jack and Vince in third.

Lip

davenicholson
01-06-2005, 01:27 PM
Obviously WSI is populated with fans who weren't around to hear Harry and Jimmy in their prime.
LipI'm with ya on that, Lip! I am certainly old enough to remember Harry and Jimmy in their prime, and I've got the papers to prove it.

tlebar318
01-06-2005, 01:30 PM
I thought the chemistry between Hawk & Wimpy was great. I wonder why the Sox let Paciorek go?As I remember it they didn't let him go. He quit to be closer to family in GA.
I think that is what happened?

Lip Man 1
01-06-2005, 01:34 PM
No one knows for sure what happened. It came out later in the media that Paciorek was let go after refusing (supposedly) to do more pre game preperation.

Paciorek didn't really go into details when asked about it but hinted that there was another reason.

Given the fact that he had been on the Sox telecasts since the late 80's it was odd that after all that time the Sox organization suddenly had an issue with his preperation.

Lip

Lizard
01-06-2005, 01:45 PM
I read somewhere that Hawk did not like Paciorek. Maybe because he had more fans than Hawk. And Hawk has friends in high places, so bye-bye Tom!

jackbrohamer
01-06-2005, 01:46 PM
No love for the Jack Drees - Mel Parnell combo?

PaulDrake
01-06-2005, 01:55 PM
No Bob Elson and Don Wells? No Bob Elson and Milo Hamilton? I'm feeling really ancient.

ChicagoHoosier
01-06-2005, 02:02 PM
Having only lived in Chicago for 10 years, I have limited history, but wanted to vote for Rooney and Farmer. I like this team a LOT better than the current TV team and wouldn't mind seeing a new color commentator on TV. Wonder if everyone agrees, or that's just my opinion of the current team on TV?

Maximo
01-06-2005, 02:20 PM
No Bob Elson and Don Wells? No Bob Elson and Milo Hamilton? I'm feeling really ancient.
Lying in bed....lights off....trying to convince Mom you were asleep........all the while listening to Elson and Wells or Hamilton on the transistor radio.

I don't ever want to be a kid again......but, sometimes............

Joel Perez
01-06-2005, 02:22 PM

Don and Hawk are a very solid second place with Jack and Vince in third.

Lip
I miss Channel 44 White Sox games!!!

Didn't that channel used to be 'en espanol' as well?

Maximo
01-06-2005, 02:28 PM
As I remember it they didn't let him go. He quit to be closer to family in GA.
I think that is what happened?
That's the impression Paciorek gave to the listeners....or else he was "tired of the grind". Yet, the season after he left the Sox I caught him doing some Tiger games on the cable out of Detroit which is his original home town. IIRC....he was the "color guy" to Josh Lewin's play by play.

Josh Lewin's claim to fame was that prior to the Tiger "gig", he was partnered with Harry Carey on the Northside for all of about one year......or until Harry threw his butt out of the booth.

hose
01-06-2005, 05:01 PM
I voted for Harry & Jimmy, but I really liked Hawk and Wimpy also.

robertks61
01-06-2005, 07:26 PM
I liked the way Bob Waller used to rip on the city of Cleveland back when it was a dump.

FedEx227
01-06-2005, 07:30 PM
I can't really vote for many other guys seeing as in my lifetime I've only heard Hawk/Wimpy, Hawk/DJ, and Rooney/Farmer, but I'd have to say out of those 3 I like Rooney/Farmer the best, don't get me wrong I like Hawk, but it seems like you can listen to Rooney/Farmer for ever and really not get annoyed, they have a very smooth way of commentating.

I want Mags back
01-06-2005, 09:07 PM
The Hawk is the greatest Sox announcer of all time. Wimpy is much better than DJ, so i went with that.

TornLabrum
01-06-2005, 09:38 PM
As noted in another thread, Brickhouse's best partner was Harry Creighton, who made Harry Caray look like Carry Nation.

That being said, my vote is to Harry and Jimmy.

Harry: "Raaaay, Jimmy, didja take your pill today?"
Jimmy: "Yeah, Coach, I took my pill."

duderanch420
01-06-2005, 09:46 PM
Harry and Jimmy. I dont know if they would be able to get away with some of the stuff they used to say on air then nowadays though. I'd bust up laughing at them on a regular basis.

Parrothead
01-06-2005, 09:51 PM
I read somewhere that Hawk did not like Paciorek. Maybe because he had more fans than Hawk. And Hawk has friends in high places, so bye-bye Tom!
I heard that too. I think Tom mentioned it on one of the radio shows.

C-Dawg
01-06-2005, 10:16 PM
I voted Rooney & Farmer, but I could have substituted Hawk & Wimpy or maybe a Harry & Jimmy for old times sake.

I remember Lorn Brown but don't recognize the name in the poll he was partnered with. Maybe there was another guy whom I'm thinking of but can't remember the name of?

Anyway, I think Rooney & Farmer are great. They are very different from each other, but get along well, so there's a great dynamic that really works on the air in my opinion. I think they're a LOT better than any of the other Chicago broadcasting teams (although we've yet to see what the new Cub team will sound like).

jackbrohamer
01-07-2005, 10:08 AM
I think Bob Elson was the best Sox announcer in history, with Harry Caray (before he became a Cubune shill) a close second. Harry and Jimmy were unbelievable together (literally).

doogiec
01-07-2005, 08:34 PM
Harry and Jimmy. I dont know if they would be able to get away with some of the stuff they used to say on air then nowadays though. I'd bust up laughing at them on a regular basis.
I remember Bill Veeck once had to force Piersall to apologize on the air for referring to Billy Martin using a ethnic slur. Piersall said he did not think it was that big of a deal, since he called Martin by that name to his face every time he saw him. Between that, some incidents involving AL umpires and his "horny broads" comments, Piersall wouldn't have lasted one week in today's "politically correct" era. But he made a generally dreadful team a lot of fun to watch on TV. The world of TV sports is very bland in comparison nowadays.

robertks61
01-07-2005, 11:19 PM
I guess I'm still the only Mary Shane fan out here! Does anybody else remember her?

jlim
01-08-2005, 12:54 AM
Hawk and Wimpy were the best. I loved Paciorek when he said "pierogi"

The_Cheesiest_Idiot
01-08-2005, 01:00 AM
harry and jimmy were awesome. i love watching the games they show on espn classic so i get to hear them again.

Sox-on-TV44
01-08-2005, 10:21 AM
I guess I'm still the only Mary Shane fan out here! Does anybody else remember her?
I remember her.At one game,I believe it was July 31,1977 in game one she said,"I thank all you folks that wrote that misses me and why am I not on too often,well I can't do anything about.So if you feel that way,send it to the people in charge (WMAQ,Channel 44,and the Sox),but anyway thanks very much I do apperacite it."

Church Turtle
01-08-2005, 11:07 AM
harry and jimmy were awesome. i love watching the games they show on espn classic so i get to hear them again. I have never run accross one of those games. Is there any schedule as to when they appear?
I had to vote Hawk and Wimpy. I watched a ton of SOX games on our cable system and thought they were great together. I never got to hear Harry and Jimmy, but it sounds like they would've been great. And I live far enough south that most of the time I cannot pick up AM 1000. I can pick up The Score, though. Maybe when the current contract is up...

Sox-on-TV44
01-08-2005, 11:10 AM
harry and jimmy were awesome. i love watching the games they show on espn classic so i get to hear them again.
Yeah,ESPN Classic could show it.That's if they stop running an "Classic" College Football or basketball games that was shown two or three months ago,which fills up more that 80% of their schedule!

tebman
01-08-2005, 12:52 PM
I guess I'm still the only Mary Shane fan out here! Does anybody else remember her?I'm glad you were a fan, but frankly she was terrible. Veeck was trying to get some press and added her (with the cooperation of WMAQ, of course) to the broadcast team. A woman doing play-by-play! Imagine that! :rolleyes:

It was a good concept, and still is. But she was awful. Uninteresting, no insight into the game, dull voice. Her hiring probably set back the cause of female PBP announcers rather than advancing it.

Seriously, I hope I live long enough to hear non-white and female PBP announcers and be able to argue about the game instead of the announcer's presence. Dare I say it -- maybe even a female MLB player one day? :yup:

- tebman

robertks61
01-08-2005, 02:01 PM
I'm glad you were a fan, but frankly she was terrible. Veeck was trying to get some press and added her (with the cooperation of WMAQ, of course) to the broadcast team. A woman doing play-by-play! Imagine that! :rolleyes:

It was a good concept, and still is. But she was awful. Uninteresting, no insight into the game, dull voice. Her hiring probably set back the cause of female PBP announcers rather than advancing it.

Seriously, I hope I live long enough to hear non-white and female PBP announcers and be able to argue about the game instead of the announcer's presence. Dare I say it -- maybe even a female MLB player one day? :yup:

- tebmanI should have put that in teal! We used to make fun of her & the concept!

kittle545feet
01-08-2005, 05:07 PM
I am actually surprised that Hawk and Wimpy are leading in votes. I think that says a lot about the average age of the WSI community because nothing could compare to Harry and Jimmy. If you are old enough to remember them, I would say you probably voted for them. To me, :harry&jimmy :tongue: Drysdale and Hawk come in second with Hawk and Wimpy in third.

awesomefan
01-10-2005, 04:16 AM
CHICAGOHOOSIER: That's exactly what I was thinkin....Wimpy & Farmio.

I sat & talked with Ed Farmer in the lobby of the Hyatt Regency at SoxFest one year & he was very nice to me & I got a great picture of me with him.:D:

hsnterprize
01-10-2005, 08:27 AM
I thought the chemistry between Hawk & Wimpy was great. I wonder why the Sox let Paciorek go?Wimpy took a job with Fox Sports South and the Atlanta Braves. He wanted to be closer to his family.