PDA

View Full Version : Best Sox promotion

Sox-on-TV44
01-06-2005, 09:25 AM
I personally love anything Bill Veeck did,espically Bat Day.But in my book,I like "Trun Back The Clock" in 1990.What was yoor favorites?

Baby Fisk
01-06-2005, 09:33 AM
Until they get eclipsed by World Series Ring Presentation Day, I like turn-back-the-clock days best.

SaltyPretzel
01-06-2005, 09:46 AM
The best was the "Triple Header". After the game, they had fireworks followed by professional wrestling. The Road Warriors took part.

http://www.cooldudesandhotbabes.com/graphics/lodlogo.jpg

Nick@Nite
01-06-2005, 09:52 AM
Disco Demolition Night. The Sox were out of the race so the forfeited game wasn't a factor in the standings. Any type of publicity is good. :D:

HITMEN OF 77
01-06-2005, 10:49 AM
The best was the "Triple Header". After the game, they had fireworks followed by professional wrestling. The Road Warriors took part.

http://www.cooldudesandhotbabes.com/graphics/lodlogo.jpg
When was that? Sounds like an interesting evening.

SaltyPretzel
01-06-2005, 11:24 AM
When was that? Sounds like an interesting evening.
It was around '85 or '86. There was also a big AWA Wrestling event at Comiskey around that same time. There were around 12 bouts with wrestlers such as Jerry Blackwell, The Baron, The Fabulous Freebirds, and The Road Warriors.

bestkosher
01-06-2005, 11:47 AM
itw as I believe in 96, whe nthey had kissing contests and other promotions, with tony and tina's wedding heckling the kissers, I like it because I won a free trip to the sky boxes for a game.

jabrch
01-06-2005, 11:59 AM
I like Half-Way to St. Patrick's Day!

alohafri
01-06-2005, 12:02 PM
It was around '85 or '86. There was also a big AWA Wrestling event at Comiskey around that same time. There were around 12 bouts with wrestlers such as Jerry Blackwell, The Baron, The Fabulous Freebirds, and The Road Warriors.
I was at SuperClash. It was a great wrestling card...the above mentioned, plus Ric Flair vs. Kerry Von Erich. The Baron/Dick The Brusier/The Crusher vs. The Fabulous Freebirds. I loved that match!!

SaltyPretzel
01-06-2005, 12:15 PM
I was at SuperClash. It was a great wrestling card...the above mentioned, plus Ric Flair vs. Kerry Von Erich. The Baron/Dick The Brusier/The Crusher vs. The Fabulous Freebirds. I loved that match!!
I remember they had midget wrestling too. The best was when Stan "The Lariat" Hansen and Rick Martel were fighting in the visiter dugout.

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-06-2005, 12:28 PM
I like Half-Way to St. Patrick's Day!
1/2 way day would be even better to go to the kelly green jerseys and hats.

Dan H
01-06-2005, 01:02 PM
I always thought bat day was the best promotion. One of the greatest Sox games I ever went to was on May 20, 1973, the bat day doubleheader. 55,555 were there. Fans were sitting in the aisles and standing on the cat walks. Melton and May homered in the first game and the place went nuts.

Clembasbal
01-06-2005, 01:46 PM
For me, as long as it is not Caribbean Night I don't care.

I have always said that the Sox need to do more promotions. There needs to be something at least 3 times a week, more than just fireworks...hats, bats, towels, shirts, balls, autographs, etc....SOMETHING To Bring in the Fans.

SaltyPretzel
01-06-2005, 01:56 PM
For me, as long as it is not Caribbean Night I don't care.

I have always said that the Sox need to do more promotions. There needs to be something at least 3 times a week, more than just fireworks...hats, bats, towels, shirts, balls, autographs, etc....SOMETHING To Bring in the Fans.
I wish they would have a Blues Night.

JKryl
01-06-2005, 02:00 PM
Elvis night. The geeks in the overly tight jump suits are a gas.

duke of dorwood
01-06-2005, 02:09 PM
I used to like "Banner Day" between games of the doubleheader on Sunday.

StillMissOzzie
01-06-2005, 02:17 PM
I like Elvis Night and bobblehead giveaway days. I used to collect all the pins, too. Whatever happened to baseball card giveaways. I have several years' sets of those, but none in the last 4-5 years now, IIRC.

SMO
:gulp:

jackbrohamer
01-06-2005, 02:26 PM
"Anti-Superstition Night" in May 1977. It was a Friday the 13th game, Bill Veeck had 13 "witches" on the field putting "spells" on the 13 other teams in the American League. They broke mirrors on the field, had black cats and I think made the umpires walk under a ladder. The Sox went into 1st place shortly afterwards & I thought there was a connection, until they fell apart in Late July....

They also had a 10:00 AM game one Saturday in I think 1976 against Texas. (Sponsored by McDonalds which was pushing their breakfast meals.) Harry Caray complained bitterly for a week that the 10AM start was too early. The game was fun though, my father got us at the ballpark at 8:30 AM and it was over around noon.

I always liked the Father-Son games they had in the '70s as well.

Irishsox1
01-06-2005, 02:38 PM
80's night in 2000. White Sox fans didn't have to dress up. If there's one thing about Sox fans, its that when they buy a Sox hat or shirt, they never throw it out. Nothing looks better than a 5'6" 250 dude wearing a medium sized "winning ugly" shirt.

ewokpelts
01-06-2005, 02:53 PM
"Anti-Superstition Night" in May 1977. It was a Friday the 13th game, Bill Veeck had 13 "witches" on the field putting "spells" on the 13 other teams in the American League. They broke mirrors on the field, had black cats and I think made the umpires walk under a ladder. The Sox went into 1st place shortly afterwards & I thought there was a connection, until they fell apart in Late July....

They also had a 10:00 AM game one Saturday in I think 1976 against Texas. (Sponsored by McDonalds which was pushing their breakfast meals.) Harry Caray complained bitterly for a week that the 10AM start was too early. The game was fun though, my father got us at the ballpark at 8:30 AM and it was over around noon.

I always liked the Father-Son games they had in the '70s as well.i like that idea....10 am games would be cool
Gene

zach074
01-06-2005, 05:45 PM
Dog day anyone? I sure love those pooches.

eastchicagosoxfan
01-06-2005, 06:21 PM
i like that idea....10 am games would be cool
GeneI also enjoy day games. Superstition night sounds like a lot of fun. Beer case stacking would be fun. I like the old image that Comiskey Park was a large saloon. It was rough around the edges, and it was " our " place.

eastchicagosoxfan
01-06-2005, 06:22 PM
Hawk Harrelson look-a-like-day. Imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

ja1022
01-06-2005, 06:48 PM
I always thought bat day was the best promotion. One of the greatest Sox games I ever went to was on May 20, 1973, the bat day doubleheader. 55,555 were there. Fans were sitting in the aisles and standing on the cat walks. Melton and May homered in the first game and the place went nuts.
As I recall, they gave away good bats too. 30" Louisville Sluggers, "Flame Tempered". I remember the picture on the front of the sport sections the next day of all the kids holding their bats up. Doubleheaders were great. Too bad they can't arm the patrons with weapons like that anymore.

Nick@Nite
01-06-2005, 07:45 PM
I wonder if the Sox have ever had a halter top day?

Cowch44
01-06-2005, 07:53 PM
I loved Lemon Chill, getting a card of EVERY guy was great.:D:

I want Mags back
01-06-2005, 07:58 PM
There is no doubt about this one. It's beat the **** out of the Cubs night. Hopefully that will happen 6 times this year

bafiarocks03
01-06-2005, 08:23 PM
Photo Day!!!:d:

chisoxmike
01-06-2005, 08:26 PM
I wish they would have a Blues Night.
I think thats a great idea.

I'm a huge fan of Rat Pack Night.

Sox-on-TV44
01-08-2005, 09:27 AM

I always liked the Father-Son games they had in the '70s as well.
Those are great examples of Bill Veeck's promotions.I remember they had another 10:00 AM "Breakfast Game" the next year on May 14,1977 against the Cleveland Indians.That's when Jim Spencer had his first of two 8 RBI games that year when the Sox killed the Tribe 18-2.

BigEdWalsh
01-08-2005, 09:34 AM
I was there that day too in the centerfield bleachers. The next day the Cubune had a picture of the centerfield bleachers and there I was, but I was at the cutoff point and all you could see of me was my right half. I wrote to the Cubune and they mailed me a nice black 'n white glossy. It showed all of me.
That crowd is still a Chicago baseball record and unless there's ever a bigger ballpark, the record will always remain. :gulp:

PaleHoseGeorge
01-08-2005, 09:44 AM
No doubt. Frisbee catching exhibition with world champion, Ashley Whippet. That dog got a standing ovation from the crowd at Old Comiskey back in 1988.

It's a perfect tie-in with Dog Day. I don't know who are the numbskulls running the Sox promotions department, but they need to get off their dead ass.
:wink:

:gallas
"You won't have Rob Gallas to kick anymore!"

Church Turtle
01-08-2005, 09:52 AM
I have always said that the Sox need to do more promotions. There needs to be something at least 3 times a week, more than just fireworks...hats, bats, towels, shirts, balls, autographs, etc....SOMETHING To Bring in the Fans. Amen, brother!
Within the last 10 years one that stands out elsewhere was Jay Buhner hair cut night at the old Kingdome. As I understand it, anybody that wanted to come to the park early, and was willing to go through with it, could have their hair cut by Buhner - to look like Buhner's melon.

and Blues Night seems like a perfect fit.

BigEdWalsh
01-08-2005, 09:56 AM
Amen, brother!
Within the last 10 years one that stands out elsewhere was Jay Buhner hair cut night at the old Kingdome. As I understand it, anybody that wanted to come to the park early, and was willing to go through with it, could have their hair cut by Buhner - to look like Buhner's melon.

and Blues Night seems like a perfect fit.
Whoa! I really like the idea of a Blues Night, provided they had some really good Blues acts. :bandance:

jabrch
01-08-2005, 10:00 AM
Dog day anyone? I sure love those pooches.

When is Dog Day this year? I want to bring my muts if I am in town this year. I was away the past two years.

jabrch
01-08-2005, 10:03 AM
No doubt. Frisbee catching exhibition with world champion, Ashley Whippet. That dog got a standing ovation from the crowd at Old Comiskey back in 1988.

It's a perfect tie-in with Dog Day. I don't know who are the numbskulls running the Sox promotions department, but they need to get off their dead ass.
:wink:

The Whippet probably had better hands than Caruso did that season.

Sox-on-TV44
01-08-2005, 10:05 AM
Now looking at an old 1977 White Sox program,I see pictures of an Ragtime band and dancers

Which gives me this idea.Since The *****cat Dolls are such a smash hit in L.A. most cities like Chicago has two or three Burlisque troops.So i'm thinking "Burlisque Night".May not be great in front of the ladies but us guys would love it!:D:

SaltyPretzel
01-08-2005, 12:22 PM
Whoa! I really like the idea of a Blues Night, provided they had some really good Blues acts. :bandance:
I think it would be cool if they did it in an informal way. I think the best blues acts at the Chicago Blue Fest are the musicians performing away from the main stage who have their amps powered by old car batteries. They should have performers scattered throughout the stadium performing for tips, like on the concourse and ramps where people could dance if they'd like.:bandance:

SaltyPretzel
01-08-2005, 12:25 PM
BTW, this guy was a big Sox fan:

:muddy