PDA

View Full Version : Mets now frontrunners for Beltran....

gf2020
01-06-2005, 01:14 AM
This really stuns me. How did this happen?

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20050105&content_id=928020&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp

One prominent Major League executive, who asked not to be named, did say on Wednesday that he believed Beltran would be signing with the Mets, another indication that word of Boras' intentions is getting around.
The Sox fan in me is glad that he likely isn't ending up with the Yankees or the Flubs. Yet, I was really hoping that he would return to the Astors, so that Clemens would pitch another year and deprive the Cubs of any chance of winning the Division or Wild Card. They've been the NL team I root for for a while now.

If they pull this off, the Mets deserve a lot of credit. Sure, they've completely ruined the market for starting pitchers with their awful contracts with Kris Benson and Pedro, but they might have managed to steal the most exciting player in the game. I will never ever ever pick against the Braves, but they could make a run, especially with the Braves not replacing Drew's offense.

Nick@Nite
01-06-2005, 07:22 AM
This really stuns me. How did this happen? I think it has to do with the Mets signing a huge TV (or cable?) contract and this is the fastest way to reel-in as many viewers (or subscribers?) as possible. That's why they took a chance on the high-profile Pedro Martinez and are supposedly looking at other high-profile players like Sosa (and now Beltran).

samram
01-06-2005, 08:17 AM
I think it has to do with the Mets signing a huge TV (or cable?) contract and this is the fastest way to reel-in as many viewers (or subscribers?) as possible. That's why they took a chance on the high-profile Pedro Martinez and are supposedly looking at other high-profile players like Sosa (and now Beltran).
Well, they also have to try to take some of the spotlight away from the Yankees.

Nick@Nite
01-06-2005, 08:35 AM
Well, they also have to try to take some of the spotlight away from the Yankees.That too. The other day I heard Colin Cowherd or Eric Kuselias (I can't remember which one) on ESPN radio say Steinbrenner would never allow the Mets to out bid the Yankees for the services of Beltran.

samram
01-06-2005, 08:40 AM
That too. The other day I heard Colin Cowherd or Eric Kuselias (I can't remember which one) on ESPN radio say Steinbrenner would never allow the Mets to out bid the Yankees for the services of Beltran.
I heard that too, but I can't remember which guy said it either. The problem is the Yankees need to get the contract extension for the Big Unit completed and then see where they stand. Even the Yankees have limits on what they can spend because in NY eventually the costs of running a business will start to catch up to them.