PDA

View Full Version : late inning implosions

eastchicagosoxfan
01-05-2005, 08:30 PM
How many late inning leads ( 8th inning 2 runs 9th inning one run ) did the pen blow last year? Can anyone break it down by starter? How many games did the pen cost Beurhle? What about unearned runs? How many victories do you think we'll get out of better defense and an improved pen this year? Ten games is a 94 win season.

chisoxmike
01-05-2005, 08:50 PM
How many late inning leads ( 8th inning 2 runs 9th inning one run ) did the pen blow last year? Can anyone break it down by starter? How many games did the pen cost Beurhle? What about unearned runs? How many victories do you think we'll get out of better defense and an improved pen this year? Ten games is a 94 win season.
I can think of more than 10 games in 2004 that the Sox blew because of pitching and bad defence.

4/5 vs Royals
4/11 vs. Yankees
5/7 & 5/8 vs. Blue Jays
6/1 vs. A's (You can even add in 6/2)
6/6 vs. Mariners
6/20 vs. Expos
7/28 vs. Twins
7/31 vs. Tigers

eastchicagosoxfan
01-05-2005, 08:54 PM
Two games I can think of: The two in Detroit that were lost as a result of walking in the winning run. Both were in extra innings?!?

konerko1413
01-05-2005, 08:56 PM
dont forget marte walkin in the winning run against the cubs, i couldnt root for the guy for weeks after that, buehrle threw such a good game too

chisoxmike
01-05-2005, 09:00 PM
dont forget marte walkin in the winning run against the cubs, i couldnt root for the guy for weeks after that, buehrle threw such a good game too
4/5 vs Royals
4/11 vs. Yankees
5/7 & 5/8 vs. Blue Jays
6/1 vs. A's (You can even add in 6/2)
6/6 vs. Mariners
6/20 vs. Expos
EDIT- 7/4 vs. Cubs
7/28 vs. Twins
7/31 vs. Tigers

DVsoxfan
01-05-2005, 10:19 PM
I'll never forget that Seattle game. What was it, 4-2 going into the 9th and krotch rocket blew the save. That was on Sunday night baseball too, I was not happy that day. Bad memories.

Mohoney
01-05-2005, 11:59 PM
I think we will see a lot less of this type of thing next year.

This bullpen is, in my opinion, well constructed. We have 5 viable options, and even though we're rolling the dice with Cotts, I can look at this as a dramatic turnaround from last year. I really like what Kenny has done here.

SoxFan76
01-06-2005, 12:02 AM
I think we will see a lot less of this type of thing next year.

This bullpen is, in my opinion, well constructed. We have 5 viable options, and even though we're rolling the dice with Cotts, I can look at this as a dramatic turnaround from last year. I really like what Kenny has done here.
Viable options, that's how I always looked at the bullpen. Last season it was 3. (Pollitte)

Now when I see the guys we have in the pen come into a game, I have confidence they will get their man out. It won't always happen, but I never had that sense of security with Jackson and Koch.

Hokiesox
01-06-2005, 12:09 AM
I'll never forget that Seattle game. What was it, 4-2 going into the 9th and krotch rocket blew the save. That was on Sunday night baseball too, I was not happy that day. Bad memories.
Yeah, he walked the bases loaded, then walked in the winning run too. I'll never forgive him for that game.

WhiteSoxNation
01-06-2005, 12:14 AM
Jackson was a nice guy but man that 86mph fastball w/ 81mph slider wasnt fooling ne one ....

southsideirish71
01-06-2005, 12:17 AM
My wife could tell when Jackson was coming into the game. I wonder how much crap I broke due to mr. inherited runner and his way of getting into a hitters count only to throw a fastball middle in about 86 mph.

Chisox003
01-06-2005, 12:19 AM
Yeah, he walked the bases loaded, then walked in the winning run too. I'll never forgive him for that game.
Out of all the late inning implosions last year, and the 3,248 Koch had with the Sox in his 1 1/2 stint, that one hurt the most...If I remember correctly, that was on ESPN...And the announcers were stunned at what was going on....Of course Sox fans were well past being stunned at that point as it came to be what Koch did EVERY outing, but I think I yelled at the TV more in that half inning than I did all year (excluding every time I saw Mike Jackson running in from the pen...wow)...

Nick@Nite
01-06-2005, 12:23 AM
Opening Day in KC... I was there. :angry:

milrtyme28
01-06-2005, 12:29 AM
I was standing in the right field bleachers at the Urinal on July 4th and got to witness the 9th inning Marte meltdown right after Carlos Lee's 9th inning homer to tie the game. :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

Lip Man 1
01-06-2005, 01:14 PM
Ask and ye shall receive.....

Blown games as defined where the Sox had the lead in the 7th inning or later and lost.....

4/5 - at K.C. (9th inning)
4/27 - Cleveland (8th inning / lost game in 10)
5/14 - Minnesota (8th inning)
6/2 - at Oakland (9th inning / lost game in 10)
6/6 - at Seattle (9th inning)
8/7 - Cleveland (9th inning)
8/22 - Boston (8th inning)
9/10 - at Anaheim (7th inning)
9/28 - at Detroit (7th inning)

In 2003 the Sox blew 10 games where they had the lead in the 7th inning or later and lost.

Lip

Mohoney
01-06-2005, 02:02 PM
Just out of curiosity, how many games did the Twins lose in this fashion?

Baby Fisk
01-06-2005, 02:28 PM
The games that plunged me into horrible alcoholic binges last year were the ones where the Sox were behind, but the game was still close in the 7th or 8th. Almost on cue, the bullpen would implode and the game became a laugher for the other team. Those were unbearable to watch because you saw the life get sucked out of the batters watching from the dugout.
Meanwhile, Baby Fisk was doing this: :cuss: :gulp: :cuss: :gulp:

I forget who it was, but someone here described how they threw an incredible hour-long tantrum after a game was blown by the bullpen last year. Smashing stuff in their own house, yelling, cursing, etc. Wild stuff.

Here's hoping for less of that in 2005.

01-06-2005, 02:38 PM
I had trouble sleeping that night

batmanZoSo
01-06-2005, 03:12 PM
I'll never forget that disillusioning July 4, 2003 game in Tampa. It was the beginning of an easy stretch in the schedule and we needed to capitalize on it and distance ourselves from the Twins (or overtake them). We had a two run lead and I believe Koch walked two, so men on first and second, not much stress. Then all of a sudden Carl Crawford hits one into the seats and the game is over. After that I just had that sick, burning feeling in my gut all day and it pretty much soured my whole Fourth of July because at that point I knew we weren't going to do what I hoped we would do on that stretch. And we didn't. It was also hotter than holy hell that day, so that day sucked in multiple ways.
Anyone else REALLY glad he's gone? :cool:

veeter
01-06-2005, 03:55 PM
Those blown games are the ones when they come back to Hawk for the wrap-up and he looks like he saw someone kill his mother. His face is red and he's mad. He somehow pulls it together for the camera but I'll bet off camera he lets loose. That's why I like him, he feels like the rabid fan at home. When your gut aches so does his.