PDA

View Full Version : next sox coach

konerko1413
01-05-2005, 05:02 PM
the sox have shown that they like to hire coaches that used to play for them, with guillen, raines and cora we have three guys who played in the 90's- baines in the 80's

who would u like to see as the next ex-sox to become a coach

Robin Ventura- bench and fielding coach
Jack McDowell- pitching coach
Lance Johnson- baserunning and bench coach
Carlton Fisk- pitcher and catcher coach
Frank Thomas- hitting coach (after he retires)

sullythered
01-05-2005, 05:05 PM
Jaimie Navarro

MUsoxfan
01-05-2005, 05:10 PM
Don Slaught. He'll do wonders for Ben and Jamie

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-05-2005, 05:10 PM
Fisk will win this one by a landslide! I wasn't around to see him play but I've heard nothing but great things about Fisk and his knowledge of the game. He wouldn't put up with any players disrespecting the game. I'm surprised he hasn't landed a gig with any teams yet, but that may be just because he isn't interested in a position right now. I think steff here knows him and might have a little insight about Fisk.

sullythered
01-05-2005, 05:14 PM
In all seriousness, Pudge. He's my favorite player of all time, and I'd love to see him get a shot at coaching.

DiGiSyKo
01-05-2005, 05:16 PM
i voted fisk.... but would he ever want to come back as a coach for the white sox? i thought he had a bitter departure in 1993?

konerko1413
01-05-2005, 05:21 PM
i was too young to remember the details of his departure, all i remember is watching him at his last at bat and then walkin off the field, what happend?

HITMEN OF 77
01-05-2005, 05:21 PM
I think Ventura wil come to the Sox as a coach within the next few years. I would say Black Jack too, but he's busy with his music and stuff.

FightingBillini
01-05-2005, 05:45 PM
I think Ventura wil come to the Sox as a coach within the next few years. I would say Black Jack too, but he's busy with his music and stuff.
By "stuff" you mean drugs?

mike squires
01-05-2005, 07:13 PM
I'd rather have Hoyt than Mcdowell and Cooper. Coop must be good though if Oz hung on to him. Hoyt would light a fire under some guys behinds when needed. I don't thnk Black Jack ever grew up or matured enough to be a ptching coach. I like him but he's got that ock star persona going.

eastchicagosoxfan
01-05-2005, 07:24 PM
I don't think Fisk would be a good people person, if you know what I mean. Ventura on the other hand, is a very intriguing possibility. A lot of good players make poor managers and or coaches. I don't think Frank could teach hitting, he lacks patience with others. Walt Hrniak and Charley Lau weren't good ballplayers, but they taught the art of hitting.

NonetheLoaiza
01-05-2005, 07:34 PM
I'd love to have Robin back in any capacity. He was one of my favorites.

BigEdWalsh
01-05-2005, 07:44 PM
I voted for Ventura because 1. I think it's the most realistic possibility and 2. I think he would be a good coach and make valuable contributions. I like the idea of Sandy Alomar Jr. in some sorta capacity. Bullpen coach maybe?

konerko1413
01-05-2005, 07:52 PM
I voted for Ventura because 1. I think it's the most realistic possibility and 2. I think he would be a good coach and make valuable contributions. I like the idea of Sandy Alomar Jr. in some sorta capacity. Bullpen coach maybe?
After u mentioned bull pen coach i thaught of mcdowell again, he doesnt have the experience of the bull pen but he would sure keep the relievers loose and relaxed, but maybe too relaxed

zach074
01-05-2005, 07:53 PM
Rocking Robin do do.

tsamdog
01-06-2005, 08:44 AM
I'd rather have Hoyt than Mcdowell and Cooper. Coop must be good though if Oz hung on to him. Hoyt would light a fire under some guys behinds when needed. I don't thnk Black Jack ever grew up or matured enough to be a ptching coach. I like him but he's got that ock star persona going.
How/What is Lamarr Hoyt doing these days? I remember a very serious drug issue post baseball.

I would also suggest that one of the most important attributes necessary for any successful coach is the ability to communicate to/with a variety of personalities. Pudge was a good as they come as a catcher and student of the game; however, he was also mule-ish at times. If he has mellowed some and recognizes the 'many paths to the river' philosophy, then I would love to see him back in a Sox uni.

whitesoxwilkes
01-06-2005, 09:11 AM
How/What is Lamarr Hoyt doing these days? I remember a very serious drug issue post baseball.

I would also suggest that one of the most important attributes necessary for any successful coach is the ability to communicate to/with a variety of personalities. Pudge was a good as they come as a catcher and student of the game; however, he was also mule-ish at times. If he has mellowed some and recognizes the 'many paths to the river' philosophy, then I would love to see him back in a Sox uni.
Hoyt worked as a special instructor during ST last year, but I'm not sure what he's been up to since then.

FireReinsdorf
01-06-2005, 09:16 AM
i was too young to remember the details of his departure, all i remember is watching him at his last at bat and then walkin off the field, what happend?
http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/ballplayers/R/Reinsdorf_Jerry.stm

Carlton Fisk (http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/ballplayers/F/Fisk_Carlton.stm) of the White Sox, plays his 2,226 and final ML game, surpassing Bob Boone (http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/ballplayers/B/Boone_Bob.stm)'s record of 2,225 for most games caught. Fisk reluctantly retires with 3,999 total bases, the most ever for a catcher. The Sox will exacerbate Fisk's bitterness by refusing to allow him into the locker room after the Sox make the playoffs this year.

tsamdog
01-06-2005, 09:17 AM
Hoyt worked as a special instructor during ST last year, but I'm not sure what he's been up to since then.
Great to hear. The man was a horse on the mound.

JKryl
01-06-2005, 09:20 AM
How about Dan Pasqua as the, "Bench Coach".

rdivaldi
01-06-2005, 09:23 AM
How about Dan Pasqua as the, "Bench Coach".
:tealpolice:

Dear lord, what is that hideous color?

Brian26
01-06-2005, 09:25 AM
I don't mean to spoil the party here-

There's an old saying that the best players don't make the best coaches. We all know that the most popular players don't make the best coaches either.

Frank Thomas has had a wonderful career and has been a great hitter in his 15 years with the team. Nothing he has done in the past, however, gives me a shred of evidence that he would make a good coach. A good coach should be someone who is unselfish and able to pass along his wisdom in both verbal and non-verbal terms. I just don't see that happening w/ Frank.

As much as I love Pudge, there are many stories about his reclusive days as a player with the Sox, not sharing any wisdsom with the younger players and staying late at the park, until 2 or 3 in the morning, lifting weights by himself. Maybe he's changed- but many people didn't think Fisk was the best teammate, and that probably wouldn't help him as a coach either.

McDowell had some great seasons, but his career was somewhat marked with brain cramps in big situations. I'm not sure he's got the discipline or the scholarly mind to be a coach.

Of the guys listed, I think Robin and One-Dog would probably make excellent choices.

chisoxlady
01-06-2005, 09:27 AM
I voted for Fisk, but would really rather have Sandy Alomar because it seems that his personality is more suitable. I wouldn't mind having Robin or Black Jack in the broadcast booth.