PDA

View Full Version : Magglio....Booed or Cheered?

ARoman27
01-05-2005, 05:29 PM
Just a quick thought came to mind. If Magg's is signed by the Cubs to play LF do people on this message board see themselves booing him or quietly cheering him?

MUsoxfan
01-05-2005, 05:30 PM
I will boo him no matter what team he plays for. His greed made him no longer welcome in my eyes.

Palehose13
01-05-2005, 05:30 PM
Just a quick thought came to mind. If Magg's is signed by the Cubs to play LF do people on this message board see themselves booing him or quietly cheering him?
Neither. I have washed my hands of him...and I am one that cheers former Sox players on opposing teams (well, not all of them!)

munchman33
01-05-2005, 05:31 PM
I will boo him until the day I die.

Unregistered
01-05-2005, 05:31 PM
Just a quick thought came to mind. If Magg's is signed by the Cubs to play LF do people on this message board see themselves booing him or quietly cheering him? If Magglio is playing for the CUBS of all teams, I expect his return to the Cell to be met with nothing but the loudest boos.

eshunn2001
01-05-2005, 05:32 PM
Are you kidding me?? If he signs with the " Northside Blue Losers" I would spit on him if I saw him in the streets, So you could pretty much be assured that I would BOOOOOOOOOOO his @$$

RKMeibalane
01-05-2005, 05:38 PM
Neither. I have no animosity towards Maggs for what happened, but I'm not going to cheer someone who wears a Cubs uniform, either. To be perfectly honest, I cheer only those individuals whom I think have shown loyalty to the Sox organization, such as Robin Ventura or Carlton Fisk. If Frank Thomas should ever play for another team, I will also cheer for him when he returns to the 'Cell.

ARoman27
01-05-2005, 05:41 PM
I just wanted to make sure that nobody would be giving Magglio any consideration with the way he left the team. It would be one thing if him and Boras weren't being so secretive about his injury - to this date they still haven't supplied a team with medical records.

Now the Cubs could have interest in Magglio and he'll go play on the other side of town. Good. I can't wait to beat the Cubs this season.

doublem23
01-05-2005, 05:42 PM
I'd boo Maggs no matter where he signs now.

http://www.msbaseball.com/entropybanner/robin_ventura.jpg
Classy

:maggs
Not classy

DumpJerry
01-05-2005, 05:52 PM
We're all assuming Maggs will be cleared by the docs to play. Ever.

WhiteSoxFan84
01-05-2005, 05:59 PM
I'm probably going to boo my ass off when he is at The Cell or at The Urinal. He turned his back on the fans that supported him by not doing everything he could to stay in Chicago. Now he wants to make our team look bad and in essence make the fans look bad. That's just my opinion, and I'm sure 70% of the crowd will cheer him while the other 30% mix it up with our jeers.

This may not be a great comparison, but this sort of reminds me of when Michael Jordan came back to Chicago as a Washington Wizard. What a joke. That being said, Jordan's reasons for leaving weren't of his own doing. Jerry Reinsdorf and Jerry Krause had a lot to do with that. Magglio's reasons for leaving were of his own doing.

I still remember Maggz talking about, "This will probably be the only chance I will have to be a top free agent. I want to see what the market looks like for me". Well Slappy, it doesn't look so promising now does it? Good riddance you scumbag.

JoseCanseco6969
01-05-2005, 06:16 PM
he will be getting a huge BOOOOOOOO from me, thats for sure. I was thinking about defacing my fagglios jersey I wasted too much $$$ on.:angry::angry::angry:

PaleHoseGeorge
01-05-2005, 06:16 PM
I never really understood why Maggs used to get such fawning love and praise from Sox Fans around here, except that he was Venezuelan, didn't speak English too well, and never said anything to piss off the fans or the media like a certain other prominent member of the Sox clubhouse.

So I must admit I'm even more confused over the level of hate I'm reading in this thread now that Magglio is gone. I've read in other threads where some of you think he *deserved* to get hurt for not accepting the Sox offer last spring. It's really quite repugnant the way some of you have gone overboard... not so much in this thread, but in several threads the last few months.

I dunno... are some of you too young to know ballplayers routinely "betray" their fans in favor of their family or their own naked interest? Is this your first-ever big love affair painful break up?
:?:

Get over it.

I never liked Royce Clayton but I would never boo him. Maggs is just one more ex-Sox. Let it go already...

mantis1212
01-05-2005, 06:17 PM
I will be definitely booing Maggs, ESPECIALLY if he joins the Flubs.

jackbrohamer
01-05-2005, 06:39 PM
The last player I booed for leaving through free agency was when Richie Zisk left the Sox for Texas. Players go for whoever offers them the best $$$, it's a fact of life.

JUribe1989
01-05-2005, 06:42 PM
I have already teared my Magglio jersey to threads. I hate him now, and nothing can change that. If he had taken the deal the Sox offered at the beginning of the season he would have made way more. I'm glad he didn't though. I won't like him no matter where he goes. I will tell you this though, if he does go to the Cubs he is guaranteed to get hurt. He can't play the field 1 inning without getting hurt anymore. I see an injury plagued career after 2004.

santo=dorf
01-05-2005, 07:03 PM
If he signs with the Cubs, we should call up Jenks so Maggs can take one at 102 MPH. I think he will stay in the AL because of the DH though.

MUsoxfan
01-05-2005, 07:07 PM
I have already teared my Magglio jersey to threads.
This is the sole reason I don't buy jerseys with player's names on the back. (Except my Peyton Manning jersey, he ain't goin' nowhere)

FightingBillini
01-05-2005, 07:09 PM
When he comes back to play at the Cell I will get seats in right field and throw loads of Monopoly money at him and call him a sell-out. He will get nonstop boos from me. Im sure me and my friends will also chant something dumb like "Oh ee oh, Fagglio", but only after a few of these::gulp:

ChiSox14305635
01-05-2005, 07:13 PM
Neither. I have no animosity towards Maggs for what happened, but I'm not going to cheer someone who wears a Cubs uniform, either. To be perfectly honest, I cheer only those individuals whom I think have shown loyalty to the Sox organization, such as Robin Ventura or Carlton Fisk. If Frank Thomas should ever play for another team, I will also cheer for him when he returns to the 'Cell.

What he said.

Norberto7
01-05-2005, 07:34 PM
Hmm, I wouldn't have pictured the whole stadium booing Magglio, but judging by what people are saying here, it may happen...I'm not so sure I see it, though. Doubtlessly there will be some boos, but I think it'll be a smattering of boos and unenthusiastic applause. And for those of you who doubt he will be ready for this season, I suggest you watch his Chevy commercial and take note of his hard work and perserverance.

MUsoxfan
01-05-2005, 07:36 PM
And for those of you who doubt he will be ready for this season, I suggest you watch his Chevy commercial and take note of his hard work and perserverance.
Excellent post. He can be a part of Ron Santo's all-star lineup. They both have leg problems

munchman33
01-05-2005, 07:37 PM
I dunno... are some of you too young to know ballplayers routinely "betray" their fans in favor of their family or their own naked interest? Is this your first-ever big love affair painful break up?

Get over it.

Well, I for one will never feel as saddened to see a player leave as Robin. But I'm still a fan of his today. Robin had class. He wasn't petty. He simply wasn't offered a high paying multi-year deal...only arbitration. He wanted to stay and I believed that. Things just didn't work out.

That's why people still love Robin.

Magglio played us for fools. He acted liked he cared about being here. He was offered a big money multi-year deal to stay in the city he claimed to love with the fans he loved....and he turned it down. Then, when he got hurt, he played games with the White Sox organization, not even allowing their doctors to look at him, even when he was technically still their property. And when they failed to offer arbitration, he ranted like a spoiled little baby who didn't get what he wanted. Making matters worse, he calls both local papers to not only give that speil, but to profess his yearning to play for the more deserving north-side fans.

That's why people hate Magglio.

winning ugly 72
01-05-2005, 08:35 PM
I Would Boo Him For Sure Especially If He Signed With The Cubs To Me He Is Defiantly Selling Out He Has Been On The South Side Long Enough To Know The Passion Sox Fans Have Against The Cubs To See A Fan Favorite Like Him Play For The Cubs Would Suck !

oeo
01-05-2005, 08:37 PM
I don't think I could ever boo Maggs, North Side or not. Maybe in a year or so when he's gone, but he was one of my favorite White Sox players of all time and I don't think I could turn my back greed, lies, or not.

HomeFish
01-05-2005, 08:41 PM
It is my policy to boo all Cub players, regardless of who their past employer was. Magglio will be no exception.

I would boo him if he were an Oriole or Met too, though. It's not that he left for more money, it's that he tried to deny it over and over again, plus all of the Cubbie comments he has made in the media recently.

bafiarocks03
01-05-2005, 09:00 PM
I would so cheer for him! There is no way i could ever boo him! I love Maggs too much!! No matter what team he is with, i would still cheer for him!

SoxFan76
01-05-2005, 09:17 PM
doublem, that is a great picture with the pinwheels in the background. I wish I followed baseball as much as I do now when Ventura, Fisk, McDowell were playing. Not to mention Frank in his prime.

Dick Allen
01-05-2005, 09:22 PM
I would boo Magglio just for hiring that douchebag of an agent.

Rocklive99
01-05-2005, 09:23 PM
Definately not cheering, maybe not boo either since most of his talking might really be coming from Borass, sometimes complete silence is even worse then boos though

SpartanSoxFan
01-05-2005, 10:43 PM
I don't like Maggs anymore reguardless of whether he plays for the Flubbs next year or not. I do think the boos will be more intense if he comes to the Cell wearing "Flubbie Blue".

MUsoxfan
01-05-2005, 10:43 PM
I would so cheer for him! There is no way i could ever boo him! I love Maggs too much!! No matter what team he is with, i would still cheer for him!
Who don't you love?

SoxFan76
01-06-2005, 12:15 AM
I never grew attached to Maggs as I have other Sox players. I was really sad to see Olivo go, yet felt very little emotion when I saw Lee was traded. If Frank ever left, I would be out of my mind. I'm afraid of what watching baseball is going to be like for me when he retires.

Back to the point, I never developed that fan to player relationship that so many have formed with guys like Ventura and Fisk. Therefore, he will not be missed in my eyes.

doublem23
01-06-2005, 12:19 AM
doublem, that is a great picture with the pinwheels in the background. I wish I followed baseball as much as I do now when Ventura, Fisk, McDowell were playing. Not to mention Frank in his prime.
Yeah, that was from his first game back at Comiskey Park since he left. My friends and I rode the Red Line down to the park to get crappy Upper Deck tickets and I wore an old Robin Ventura jersey I had bought in like 1994 that was way too small and couldn't be buttoned.

Dan Wright had a horrible game. I don't remember the final, but it was embarassing to watch.

Nick@Nite
01-06-2005, 12:21 AM
Kill Maggs with kindness I say... I'll cheer for him.

StockdaleForVeep
01-06-2005, 01:04 AM
What has he done to merit cheers from sox fans regardless of what team gets him and puts him on 60 day dl

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-06-2005, 01:13 AM
Yeah, that was from his first game back at Comiskey Park since he left. My friends and I rode the Red Line down to the park to get crappy Upper Deck tickets and I wore an old Robin Ventura jersey I had bought in like 1994 that was way too small and couldn't be buttoned.

Dan Wright had a horrible game. I don't remember the final, but it was embarassing to watch. Yep. I remember the game. They gave out mousepads and they were all tossed onto the field in the 9th inning and the sox ended up losing 10-6 I think, with big hurt homering in the loss. The worst part about it was that the Yankees threw out some scrub to face the sox because David Wells couldn't make the start and the sox couldn't capitalize on it. The Sox made a GREAT tribute video to Robin Ventura and I'd love to see it again! One good thing did come out of the game though, afterwards when I came home I finally registered on WSI!:D:

dcb33
01-06-2005, 02:26 AM
I'm going to cheer LOUDLY for Maggs-
Had Magglio signed the offer KW made, the Sox would be up the creek without a paddle right about now. THANK GOD his greed got the best of him.... Could you imagine this team being saddled with a contract like that on someone who can't even play right now? It would've been the end of the Sox. He saved the team- that's worth a cheer or two in my book.

OurBitchinMinny
01-06-2005, 03:09 AM
I cheer him because he was the best player on the sox for the past 5 years and was lowballed with deferred money by that ****ing moron JR. I know it looks stupid now since he got hurt, but if he had been healthy he would be the most sought after free agent. If he is playing for the cubs it will be hard to stomach.

BigEdWalsh
01-06-2005, 03:33 AM
Had he been simply traded like Carlos Lee, I'd cheer for him. But, the way he has left, I'll BOO him. If he ends up a Cubbie.....I might even hurl a few insults.

SoxFan48
01-06-2005, 09:29 AM
Let it go. People make business decisions all the time. Some work out, some do not.

Clement's beard
01-06-2005, 09:44 AM
I was reading the tribune today and it says the cubs have a strong interest in Ordonez and that Ordonez might give the cubs a hometown discount:o: . If that happens, he will most certainly be boo'd.

gosox41
01-06-2005, 09:45 AM
I was reading the tribune today and it says the cubs have a strong interest in Ordonez and that Ordonez might give the cubs a hometown discount:o: . If that happens, he will most certainly be boo'd.

That's doubletalk for 'I'm so injured I'll sign any major league contract that someone throws in front of me.'

Bob

samram
01-06-2005, 09:51 AM
That's doubletalk for 'I'm so injured I'll sign any major league contract that someone throws in front of me.'

Bob
True. Although, for the Cubs' sake, it would be nice if they once signed one of these free agents who supposedly would play for them for a discount. It seems like every year there are one or two FAs who just have to play for the Cubs because they once watched a game on WGN when they were growing up- Scott Rolen and Jim Thome come to mind.

34 Inch Stick
01-06-2005, 10:03 AM
Anyone else think the Cubs interest is just a smokescrean on both sides. The Cubs want their fans to believe that they are willing to spend money. However, if they were going to give a big one year contract to a player with bad knees, why not keep Alou or sign someone without the health problems. The only way the Cubs sign Maggs is at a base salary in the 3-4 million range with reachable incentives for a person who plays every day. Any team that signs him will probably also require a club option for 2006 at around 8 million. By the way, I don't think there is any way that he is in the opening day lineup for any team.

On Maggs part, he is just trying to creat a market. I have heard no SERIOUS interest in him. The logical move for him would be to pursue a contract with an AL team. He could play DH and knows the league. Yet nothing seems to be happening.

SOXSINCE'70
01-06-2005, 10:12 AM
I'd give him a weak round of applause,unless he's a sCrUB.

In that case,the greedy idiot's dead to me.:angry: :angry:

JKryl
01-06-2005, 11:26 AM
I never really understood why Maggs used to get such fawning love and praise from Sox Fans around here, except that he was Venezuelan, didn't speak English too well, and never said anything to piss off the fans or the media like a certain other prominent member of the Sox clubhouse.

So I must admit I'm even more confused over the level of hate I'm reading in this thread now that Magglio is gone. I've read in other threads where some of you think he *deserved* to get hurt for not accepting the Sox offer last spring. It's really quite repugnant the way some of you have gone overboard... not so much in this thread, but in several threads the last few months.

Get over it.

I never liked Royce Clayton but I would never boo him. Maggs is just one more ex-Sox. Let it go already...
I agree that anyone wishing an injury on anyone else is way off base (so to speak), and I also agree on Royce Clayton. He was KW's fault. But, I think the degree of animosity toward Mags is in proportion to the cheering he received. He did his job day in and day out, and never went out of his way to offend anyone then. Now, he made up for that, and most people seem to think he betrayed their trust by just walking away. He could have put out a statement about "how he loved Chicago", etc., or "now he has to think about his family", ala Ryno when he signed his 6 million contract. Remember that? The first $10 million wasn't enough, but he could now, finally ensure his family's welfare.

In any event, I too will boo him. Mainly because of the classless way he left.

JKryl
01-06-2005, 11:40 AM
I cheer him because he was the best player on the sox for the past 5 years and was lowballed with deferred money by that ****ing moron JR. I know it looks stupid now since he got hurt, but if he had been healthy he would be the most sought after free agent. If he is playing for the cubs it will be hard to stomach.
According to USA Today, Mag's salary structure over the last few years has been:
http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/salaries/playerdetail.aspx?lname=O&player=1680

2004 Chicago White Sox $ 14,000,000
2003 Chicago White Sox $ 9,000,000
2002 Chicago White Sox $ 6,500,000
2001 Chicago White Sox $ 3,750,000
2000 Chicago White Sox $ 450,000
1999 Chicago White Sox $ 305,000
1998 Chicago White Sox $ 175,000

What's so shabby about that?

kittle42
01-06-2005, 11:46 AM
Let it go. People make business decisions all the time. Some work out, some do not.
Shh! Sense is not allowed here. He's greedy unlike everyone else in baseball!

Tekijawa
01-06-2005, 11:51 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOED and done loudly

bobj4400
01-06-2005, 12:13 PM
If he plays for the Cubs, I will boo him with the same zeal that I boo that fraud Sosa.

John Barrett
01-06-2005, 01:10 PM
[QUOTE=PaleHoseGeorge]

Get over it.
QUOTE]

just because they all do it doesn't make it right. maybe some of you are too old to care anymore ..exercise your emotions Boo him off the field!

PaleHoseGeorge
01-06-2005, 01:12 PM
just because they all do it doesn't make it right. maybe some of you are too old to care anymore ..exercise your emotions Boo him off the field!
Ah, the Peter Pan mentality... I don't want to grow up!

Go on with your bad self. Sorry I won't be partaking. I stopped acting like a child a long time ago.

:cool: