PDA

View Full Version : Crede Expectations?

konerko1413
01-05-2005, 12:46 AM
im not talkin about 2005 necesarily, i mean what do u think he will do in his career,

i think he has a lot of potential, hes been one of my favorite players since he came up, kinda cuz me and him look almost identical like brothers, (im ready to take the comments on this) but he does play excellent defense and has an awesome arm, which is most important for a young ballplayer. he doesnt hit good at all but he has shown the ability to keep cool in pressure situations and greg walker and other coaches have said that there are only a few maechanical flaws in his swing that will eventually be able to be corrected.

that being said i think we can expect alot from crede, maybe not as soon as we would all like but i think he will be an allstar thirdbasemen, will finish with a career average around .280 and will average 30 homers near the end of his career,
i know i am a rare crede fan but he does have the potential

doublem23
01-05-2005, 01:05 AM
I don't know about excellent defense. He's all right, but he's not Gold Glove worthy.

I don't know what to expect for Crede. He better put up or shut up this year, else I'd hope 2005 will be his last with the Sox.

BRDSR
01-05-2005, 01:05 AM
i think he has a lot of potential, hes been one of my favorite players since he came up, kinda cuz me and him look almost identical like brothers, (im ready to take the comments on this)
My girlfriend thinks that Joe Crede is God's gift to women. He is on her list of celebrities(however minor) that I can't get mad about if she hooks up with. He's really the only reason she follows the Sox when I'm not around. So if you look so much like him, congrats. Can you hit a curveball?

konerko1413
01-05-2005, 01:08 AM
did valentin strikeout last year?

StillMissOzzie
01-05-2005, 01:36 AM
that being said i think we can expect alot from crede, maybe not as soon as we would all like but i think he will be an allstar thirdbasemen, will finish with a career average around .280 and will average 30 homers near the end of his career,
i know i am a rare crede fan but he does have the potentialIf he's gonna average .280 and average 30 HR, he'd better get his ass in gear, 'cuz he's got a few years at .220 and 15 HR to make up for...

SMO
:gulp:

Edit: I stand corrected: His career avg to date is .256 with 22 HR. My point remains.

WinningUgly!
01-05-2005, 01:49 AM
I don't know about excellent defense. He's all right, but he's not Gold Glove worthy.

Well, Eric Chavez won the AL Gold Glove Award in '03 & '04, Crede's two full seasons in MLB. Over those seasons Chavez has a total of 27 errors in 279 games. Crede has a total of 26 errors in 295 games. Obviously Chavez makes some plays that Crede can only dream about, but Joe is very solid.

Maybe the best thing that can be said about Joe, is that he doesn't allow his struggles at the plate, to carry over onto the field.

If he's able to keep playing defense the way he has, over his first couple of seasons, get that batting average up to at least .265, and double his walk totals, I won't complain about him. The guy does come up with the occasional big hit here and there, too.

konerko1413
01-05-2005, 03:01 AM
If he's gonna average .280 and average 30 HR, he'd better get his ass in gear, 'cuz he's got a few years at .220 and 15 HR to make up for...
i havnt done the research on the top 3rd basemen in the game e.i.- rolen and chavez, but no one can expect a rookie to put up all star numbers, i know crede isnt a rookie any more but he is still young and needs time to mature as a hitter, not everyone can be as successful as quickly as maggs, pujols, thomas, some guys need time to break out like vladi, beltran, and tejada

those are just some examples and im sure stats can be used to defend a protest against this statement, but the idea im tryin to go for is that in most cases good quality ballplayers take a while to develop, more than 3 or 4 years sometimes

konerko1413
01-05-2005, 03:06 AM
Obviously Chavez makes some plays that Crede can only dream about, but Joe is very solid.Im not knockin chavez or disagreeing with this statement, but when it comes down to it i rather have the guy who makes the routine plays, i know chavez does but to use the excuse that crede doesnt make as good of plays doesnt hold any weight, games are won by making the routine plays, not one big spectacular play

RichFitztightly
01-05-2005, 11:33 AM
I think he's going to be Ventura-esque in his career -- just slightly less.

JRIG
01-05-2005, 11:58 AM
I think he's going to be Ventura-esque in his career -- just slightly less.
Crede will never walk nearly as much as Ventura did. He won't hit for as much power and he's not as good defensively. And he's already 27, at which point Ventura has already put up 4 years of .367+ OBP, 3 years of .280+ BA, and a 100 walk season.

Crede can't and will never be able to hold Ventura's jock.

White Sox Randy
01-05-2005, 12:09 PM
We know that Crede is atleast above average defensively.

Offensively, I really expect that he'll produce big. He hit a ton everywhere in the minors and going into last season, his lifetime b.a. in parts of 4 seasons was .266. Then, he hit .239 in what everyone is making out to be the worst season anyone has ever had last year.

I expect that Joe will hit .260 - .285 thruout his career with 25-35 homers. I think with his defense there will be few better 3rd baseman in the game. I'll really be shocked if he isn't better this year.

veeter
01-05-2005, 12:17 PM
On two occasions last year Crede inexplicably tagged the actual base instead of a baserunner's foot. One play was in Detroit when the Sox worked a perfect relay, threw the ball to Crede, the ball beat the runner by five feet and he couldn't make the tag. Then with that stupid look on his face throws the ball to the pitcher and acts like, "who cares". I hate lack of effort and/or being to wimpy to put a tag down. Ozzie didn't pull him out of that game but he sat him the next game. I would have sat him for a week. If he starts that lackadaisical crap again dump him. We want grinders!!!!

idseer
01-05-2005, 12:39 PM
i think crede is over-rated as a fielder. he is average at best imo.
as a hitter i have low expectations. he should have already been much further along in his developement than he is and this tells me he's close to maxed out.
he'll always hit some hr's but i expect he'll never be a 'clutch' hitter or even decent average-wise plus his obp will continue to hover around .300.
just another over-hyped disappointment from the farm.

i'm ready for a change at 3rd.