PDA

View Full Version : Bench me, it may cost you

Paulwny
10-17-2001, 07:13 PM
Wednesday, October 17, 2001

Agent: Grievance to be filed for Cedeno
DETROIT (AP) -- The Major League Baseball Players Association is expected to file a grievance against the Detroit Tigers for benching outfielder Roger Cedeno for the season's final 19 games, agent Peter Greenberg said Wednesday.

Cedeno missed out on $200,000 in bonuses based on plate appearances because of the benching, which followed a Sept. 15 argument with manager Phil Garner.

Cedeno didn't play at all after the argument, falling to second in the American League in stolen bases and missing out on a $50,000 bonus by three plate appearances.

If the Tigers deny the grievance, attorney Bob Lenaghan of the players association said Cedeno could request a hearing involving him, the club, the association and the commissioner's office.

A final appeal would be heard by an arbitrator chosen by the commissioner's office and association, Lenaghan said.

On the final day of the season, Cedeno said of the Tigers, "They treated me bad. If that's the way they treat players, no one will want to play here."

Tigers general manager Randy Smith was out of the office Wednesday.

The association has not decided how much money it would seek for Cedeno, Lenaghan said.

Daver
10-17-2001, 07:17 PM
And people think we aren't going to have a fight between the owners and the players soon?

HAHAHAHA

Bmr31
10-17-2001, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by daver
And people think we aren't going to have a fight between the owners and the players soon?

HAHAHAHA

What they did to cedeno was totally bush. I would be pissed, too.

Daver
10-17-2001, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31

Don't get me wrong,I agree.
I was trying to bring up the fact that the labor issue is FAR from being solved.

Bmr31
10-17-2001, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by daver

Don't get me wrong,I agree.
I was trying to bring up the fact that the labor issue is FAR from being solved.

yeah i know. If those bastards are so ****ing cheap, maybe they shouldnt sign players who are worth having.... :)

GASHWOUND
10-17-2001, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31

I agree. Garner is an idiot. I wonder if Cendeno will be returning to the Tigers.HaaHa
Do we want Cendeno?

Bmr31
10-17-2001, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND

I agree. Garner is an idiot. I wonder if Cendeno will be returning to the Tigers?
Do we want Cendeno?

id take him, but only at a low cost....

duke of dorwood
10-17-2001, 09:33 PM
:harold

Just missed my at bats bonus too