PDA

View Full Version : Sox vs. Cubs at night?

Whitesox029
01-04-2005, 09:06 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=cws&m=6&y=2005
The Sox list the Friday game as a 3:05 start, but Saturday and Sunday are listed as TBD. I know you usually only get a Sunday night if you're on ESPN, but what about a Saturday night game? We haven't had one against the Cubs in a few years, not since the Lee walkoff slam game. I think it distinguishes us from them in a way, so I'd like to see it. Any other thoughts?

Daver
01-04-2005, 09:11 PM
I doubt they could get hizzoner the Mayor to allow it.

RichFitztightly
01-04-2005, 09:11 PM
Everybody would get absolutely wrecked. There would be so many fights for a night game. I know just from talking to the security guards, they are certainly much much more stressed come Cubs/Sox series.

dickallen15
01-04-2005, 09:13 PM
They aren't going to play that game at night. The guy from AM1000 getting beat up a few years ago, convinced the Sox that the games should be played during the day. The TBD on Saturday is if Fox picks it up. The game will be on at 12:05 if they do or 3:05 if they don't, so the local station could show the game per the television contract with Fox. They may play Sunday night. ESPN has the call on that one. ESPN made the game at Wrigley this past season a night game, and the city wasn't very happy about it.

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-04-2005, 09:19 PM
IF they play any night games this year vs the cubs I hope they're on the southside rather than the northside. It's always better to see the fireworks at night, especially vs the scrubs. :D:

MUsoxfan
01-04-2005, 09:25 PM
ESPN made the game at Wrigley this past season a night game, and the city wasn't very happy about it.
Not happy at all. It was 4th of July and with the Taste going on downtown, they probably had to dish out lots of overtime to cops

DumpJerry
01-04-2005, 09:32 PM
IF they play any night games this year vs the cubs I hope they're on the southside rather than the northside. It's always better to see the fireworks at night, especially vs the scrubs. :D:When did they start playing night games at the Urinal? I thought the passes from the hospital expire at 6:00.......:cool:

Kogs35
01-04-2005, 09:39 PM
They aren't going to play that game at night. The guy from AM1000 getting beat up a few years ago, convinced the Sox that the games should be played during the day. The TBD on Saturday is if Fox picks it up. The game will be on at 12:05 if they do or 3:05 if they don't, so the local station could show the game per the television contract with Fox. They may play Sunday night. ESPN has the call on that one. ESPN made the game at Wrigley this past season a night game, and the city wasn't very happy about it.
the biggest problem was the city wasn't given a fair warning about it. this year they know its prob going to happen on sunday night later in feb so if it does get picked up by espn, they can be prepared for it.

Parrothead
01-04-2005, 10:01 PM
A Sunday night game is a really bad idea. I was there for the last one at Comiskey and there were so many fights due to people being drunk. People were drunk walking into the stadium. There is too much time for people to tailgate or hangout at the bar prior to the game.

ewokpelts
01-04-2005, 10:57 PM
I doubt they could get hizzoner the Mayor to allow it.he did july 4...at wrigley...
Gene

SouthSideHitman
01-04-2005, 11:36 PM
I realize the security/safety issues, however I would love to see more Sox/cubs night games. Preferrably on Friday like they used to be and then Sunday for the boys in Bristol (although teams don't like night/day/night with a possible getaway day on thursday). It distinguishes us from the cubs as well as just is more exciting, for me anyway. Call me a product of the 90's, but for me, important games always happen at night, and it's more exciting/romantic. Day games have more of a traditional feel, but less of that certain electricity with playing baseball into the wee hours of the evening.

01-05-2005, 11:46 AM
I'm very good friends with the guys who got jumped there in 1999, a year before Simonson....that was bad...3 of the coolest guys you know, 100% Sox fans too, jumped because...well just because I guess... they still have no idea why. Fractured Skull, broken hands, stiches...bad, bad, bad...they never cried to the media though, the media came and found them in 2000 after they pulled the police reports...they still go to The Cell every chance they get....nothing the Sox did, just 20 punks who thought it would be cool to jump 3 guys.