01-04-2005, 05:59 PM
This is courtesy of Hangar18.

http://home.comcast.net/~tpabich/playpen.jpeg

MUsoxfan
01-04-2005, 06:03 PM
Good pic. Glad to see Hangar didn't wreck while taking the pic

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-04-2005, 06:05 PM
I'm sure he's glad to see one of the highway sized billboards gone! I can't wait to see the new renovations in person.

chisoxmike
01-04-2005, 06:14 PM
:reinsy
"One less ad is why ticket prices went up."

LongLiveFisk
01-04-2005, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the pic, Hangar...

Now is that your car or JR's? :tongue:

Whitesox029
01-04-2005, 06:27 PM
looks like they've only taken the scaffold out, though you might only be able to see stuff from inside...does anyone own a helicopter? :D:

HomeFish
01-04-2005, 06:32 PM
Does anyone else think that picture makes it look like they are hanging a person using the crane?

soxnut
01-04-2005, 06:42 PM
The Sox really need to do something more on that side. It's the only ugly part of the ballpark, and it just happens to be the side that hundreds of thousands of people see as they are driving by. What an awful way to advertise a ballpark.:(:

Thanks for the pic Hangar!

zach074
01-04-2005, 06:47 PM
It looks better already.

ewokpelts
01-04-2005, 11:08 PM
Does anyone else think that picture makes it look like they are hanging a person using the crane?:reinsy
It's Hangar18's spying body! I win again! Let it be a lesson sox fans: It's all your fault! Now watch me raise ticket prices again! bwhahaha!

Hangar18
01-05-2005, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the pic, Hangar...

Now is that your car or JR's? :tongue:
I actually pulled next to that car and took the picture, it looked
abandoned. Yeah, Its really cool how nice the park looks
MINUS a billboard. That side of the Park really should be spruced
up, with a couple of restaurants and Bars on that side.
Instead, were getting a PlayPen. It beats the Billboard though ......

Tekijawa
01-05-2005, 09:42 AM
Does anyone else think that picture makes it look like they are hanging a person using the crane?
It's Magglio after he learned that 14 million a year for 5 years is a lot better than 1 million + incentives first year and a team option 10 million second year.

LVSoxFan
01-05-2005, 10:38 AM
I agree those billboards are pretty ugly on a ballpark that has really gotten to be very cool-looking in the past two years.

As for the fundamentals area, I just hope it doesn't chew up too much of the concourse, which is my favorite part of Sox park. It's so nice to be able to walk around in the sun and watch the game from there if you want--contrast that to Wrigley, where there's not an open space to stand anywhere without constantly being jostled by the crowd or being told by ushers to move.

There's a fine line between ballpark that's family-friendly and ballpark that's been Disney-tized. Comerica Park in Detroit comes dangerously close to that line--I would like to see the Cell (after this) keep some of its "adult" character.

nyjwagner
01-05-2005, 10:48 AM
I think Commerica went way past being Disneyfied....now that Montreal is gone, it could be the worst park to watch a game in...well, all right, the Metrodome is now the worst. Damn. That Comerica is awful though.

Sad
01-05-2005, 12:02 PM
the hangin' tree is the one on the south side of 35th near the pedestrian ramp HomeFish...

JKryl
01-05-2005, 12:17 PM
That's KW hanging, he went over the budget.

JKryl
01-05-2005, 12:19 PM
The Sox really need to do something more on that side. It's the only ugly part of the ballpark, and it just happens to be the side that hundreds of thousands of people see as they are driving by. What an awful way to advertise a ballpark.
Don't worry, as soon as the new wall goes up, they'll decorate it with a nice new ad.

soxnut
01-05-2005, 12:50 PM
Don't worry, as soon as the new wall goes up, they'll decorate it with a nice new ad.

What I really meant by ad was, promoting the ballpark itself from the outside. I don't mind billboards as much as I mind how bland the ballpark looks from that side.
And, as Hangar has posted in this thread about sprucing up that side of the ballpark, I have always felt the same way. The corner of 35th and Wentworth has potential to have some commercial possiblities. There is a train station right there. The Sox should build a building to at least house some type of coffee shop/deli, which I'm sure train patrons would use. The shop could also sell Sox merchandise. This way it would be somewhere to go pre/post game, and it would also be used on non-game days by the train patrons.

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-06-2005, 12:26 PM
What happened to the camera views that we had during the offseason last year when the UD was revamped? I'd like to see progress on the seats as well as Fundamentals in the OF. Anyone have any details?

ewokpelts
01-06-2005, 02:55 PM
What I really meant by ad was, promoting the ballpark itself from the outside. I don't mind billboards as much as I mind how bland the ballpark looks from that side.
And, as Hangar has posted in this thread about sprucing up that side of the ballpark, I have always felt the same way. The corner of 35th and Wentworth has potential to have some commercial possiblities. There is a train station right there. The Sox should build a building to at least house some type of coffee shop/deli, which I'm sure train patrons would use. The shop could also sell Sox merchandise. This way it would be somewhere to go pre/post game, and it would also be used on non-game days by the train patrons.there were plans at one point to make agrand entrance to teh cell near the red line stop....if they modled it after the brewers hot corner, there coul dbe year round attractions there....will it happen? who knows...
Gene

C-Dawg
01-08-2005, 04:38 PM
What happened to the camera views that we had during the offseason last year when the UD was revamped? I'd like to see progress on the seats as well as Fundamentals in the OF. Anyone have any details?

Well, there hasn't been a whole lot to see yet. I drove down there this morning, and the Fundamentals area still looks exactly like it did in the picture. I had the camera with me but it turned out nothing had changed. Its possible the snow has made for slow progress this week.

In the other thread, someone mentioned driving by and getting a glimpse of the lack-of-seats in the 300 level... I was trying to find a spot where I could see in that well, but couldn't. Granted, I was just driving around in my little car (even paused on the 35th street bridge for a look), but just couldn't get enough elevation to see the club level - or maybe I just need a bigger vehicle. If there's a place you can see in deep into the park, I haven't found it yet.

gobears1987
01-08-2005, 05:08 PM
It's a good think you didn't stop in the middle of the Dan Ryan to take that picture.

Mohoney
01-08-2005, 05:11 PM
There's a fine line between ballpark that's family-friendly and ballpark that's been Disney-tized. Comerica Park in Detroit comes dangerously close to that line--I would like to see the Cell (after this) keep some of its "adult" character.
I actually like Comerica and go there every year.

I just ignore the peripheral kiddie junk like ferris wheels and sit in my seat.

It's a really nice park, but the food is bad.