PDA

View Full Version : Question about Dye

PorkChopExpress
01-04-2005, 01:10 PM
Anytime I read or hear about Jermaine Dye, his health is mentioned as a concern. What exactly about his health is a concern? He broke some bones in the past, but bones heal. He broke his leg in '01 if I recall correctly. Does that injury still slow him down, or can he possibly return to 2000 form? In '03 he suffered from a seperated shoulder and knee injury. Again, do those injuries still slow him down or hamper his performance, or can he overcome them? He has never hit numbers like in 2000 since then (not bad in '01, but a little off), but can he do it again, or do these "health concerns" realistically make it impossible? Just curious for people's thoughts.

Palehose13
01-04-2005, 01:14 PM
Anytime I read or hear about Jermaine Dye, his health is mentioned as a concern. What exactly about his health is a concern? He broke some bones in the past, but bones heal. He broke his leg in '01 if I recall correctly. Does that injury still slow him down, or can he possibly return to 2000 form? In '03 he suffered from a seperated shoulder and knee injury. Again, do those injuries still slow him down or hamper his performance, or can he overcome them? He has never hit numbers like in 2000 since then (not bad in '01, but a little off), but can he do it again, or do these "health concerns" realistically make it impossible? Just curious for people's thoughts.
I was wondering the same thing today. I know he had a few "fluke" injuries (broken bones), but I attribute that to bad luck instead of injury prone. Maybe he needs to drink more milk! :wink: But seriously, i don't think that he has had anything that would come back to haunt you. *cough* bone edema *cough*

01-04-2005, 02:05 PM
Dye was my favorite player when he was with the Royals...he was the Carlos Beltran of 2000...if you would have told me then that in 2005 Dye will be in our outfield I would have laid my credit card on the bar and bought all night! He has had some bad breaks (literally) I think he can be a .290 30 hr 100 rbi man in the Cell and I'm glad to have got him.

DumpJerry
01-04-2005, 02:46 PM
I'm not worried. He has not had chronic problems like a joint that is not 100% or something like that. Those are the conditions that make a player (Maggs?) less valuable. Getting broken bones (that have not re-broken) are part of growing up.

White Sox Randy
01-04-2005, 02:52 PM
Dye playing at the cell.....275 , 37 homers, 110 rbi's.

Ordonez will play less than 50 games. Best move KW made.

BRDSR
01-04-2005, 02:58 PM
I doubt the broken leg slows him down at all anymore. However, shoulder and knee injuries can turn into chronic things. Now, I'm no doctor and even if I were, I'm not well-versed in Dye's particular injuries. I'm optimistic, and it should be noted that Dye had to undergo a physical with the White Sox before the White Sox signed him. And those are not "turn your head and cough" physicals, those are rigorous and thorough. I'd say it's a possibility but our outfield is deep enough to sustain an injury to Dye. I love the signing.

Flight #24
01-04-2005, 03:14 PM
I doubt the broken leg slows him down at all anymore. However, shoulder and knee injuries can turn into chronic things. Now, I'm no doctor and even if I were, I'm not well-versed in Dye's particular injuries. I'm optimistic, and it should be noted that Dye had to undergo a physical with the White Sox before the White Sox signed him. And those are not "turn your head and cough" physicals, those are rigorous and thorough. I'd say it's a possibility but our outfield is deep enough to sustain an injury to Dye. I love the signing.
As long as they're not using the Blue Jays' old physical procedures...

:dumbash
"Just call him and ask him if he's OK, what more do you need?"

:borass:
"That's what I'm talkin about, just listen to me & I'll tell you all you need to know. Now sign here....."

konerko1413
01-04-2005, 03:51 PM
Dye playing at the cell.....275 , 37 homers, 110 rbi's.

Ordonez will play less than 50 games. Best move KW made.
I agree, Dye has had the injuries but his stats have not shown a large drop or rise because of it. I thik he will be fine, remember, take those stats and add about ten homers and 15 rbi's cuz hes moving from oakland (pitchers park) to chicago (best hitters park in the game, beside maybe Fenway)

MisterB
01-04-2005, 05:07 PM
I agree, Dye has had the injuries but his stats have not shown a large drop or rise because of it. I thik he will be fine, remember, take those stats and add about ten homers and 15 rbi's cuz hes moving from oakland (pitchers park) to chicago (best hitters park in the game, beside maybe Fenway)
Coors is still the best hitters park in the majors. The Cell had a similar effect on HR totals, but Coors also adds about 30 points to batting average. Right now I'd say best hitter's parks:

1. Coors
2. Fenway
3/4 Arlington/Cell - pick 'em