PDA

View Full Version : Sox announcers poll

Sox-on-TV44
01-04-2005, 10:18 AM
This is always great for debate.Which Sox announcer did you liked best?I like 'em all but I can only choose one.I pick Harry Caray because even though he bailed to the north side,he was entertaining when he was with the Sox.

I know I forgot Jack Brickhouse,but I do reconize his work with the Sox.Sorry.

BRDSR
01-04-2005, 10:21 AM
This is always great for debate.Which Sox announcer did you liked best?I like 'em all but I can only choose one.I pick Harry Caray because even though he bailed to the north side,he was entertaining when he was with the Sox.
Ken "Hawk" Harrelson, because he's the only one I've known. Ken and Wimpy were my favorite duo, and I fully support any change that leaves DJ without a job in the White Sox broadcasting booth.

CHI_SOX_4_LIFE
01-04-2005, 10:23 AM
i wasnt old enough to start really following baseball til the 90s. so my favorite of course is hawk. but i cant not mention wimpy. i was sad to see him leave. especially since his replacement was DJ. i did like harry caray kinda even when he was a cub announcer so i probably woulda liked him as a sox announcer. but its a good thing we didnt get stuck with his douche bag kid chip. glad to see that bone head on the north side :bandance:

Knucksie
01-04-2005, 10:40 AM
Harry and Jimmy were good. Very entertaining. Rained hell's fury down on the organization when it was called for. I used to love when they had "guests" in the booth. Satchell Paige in the booth with Harry and Jimmy was priceless.

Drysdale and Hawk were a good tandem. Great baseball knowledge.

Hawk and Whimpy are right up there. They were fun to listen to. Seems I remember Hawk being criticized initially as not being capable as a play by play guy. Guess it worked out pretty good. Have to love Hawk's enthusiasm, originality and love of the club (LOYALTY). Nothing personal against DJ, just doesn't work with him and Hawk. Really miss Whimpy.

Lip Man 1
01-04-2005, 11:31 AM
Harry Caray, with Don Drysdale a close second (he really knew his stuff and had a good voice)

Lip

MUsoxfan
01-04-2005, 01:36 PM
I like John Rooney. He does Sox play by play...but granted it's on the radio

tebman
01-04-2005, 01:40 PM
What, no Jack Drees or Early Wynn?

- tebman

OurBitchinMinny
01-04-2005, 01:49 PM
I guess its hawk on the TV side. Although he is getting old. John Rooney is my favorite PbP guy for the sox though. And he does a great job on national stuff

Jerome
01-04-2005, 04:00 PM
John Rooney. He's great. He almost makes up for the TV both.

robertks61
01-04-2005, 05:00 PM
What about Mary Shane?

tebman
01-04-2005, 06:54 PM
What about Mary Shane?:roflmao: Oh, man! I forgot about Mary Shane! More comic relief from that wild '77 season.

- tebman

eastchicagosoxfan
01-04-2005, 07:05 PM
Rooney is great on the radio. In 1983, Hawk did the radio. I spent the summer in Michigan, and I listened to every game. Was that his first year of broadcasting? When I was a kid, I recall Caray being in the center field bleachers. It was an event. All the dads drank extra beer because he was out there. He and Piersall were quite a duo.

Hank Kimball
01-04-2005, 07:05 PM
Harry and Jimmy were worth tuning in regardless of the game.

Harry and Paciorek would have been incredible if their primes were all synced up.

Hank

jlim
01-04-2005, 07:29 PM
Hawk is awesome, and Rooney is as good as it gets on radio.

Ken
01-04-2005, 07:35 PM
I used to have a great deal of respect for Rooney...until he started sound more like Farmer. I have really found that I am unable to tolerate the two of them together.

dickallen15
01-04-2005, 08:03 PM
What about Jack Drees?

Lip Man 1
01-04-2005, 08:24 PM
"Let's go to the races!"

Lip

TornLabrum
01-04-2005, 08:35 PM
"Let's go to the races!"

Lip
Don't forget all those years Drees did the IHSA basketball tournament from
Huff Gym back in the '50s.

Although someone said he couldn't think of Brickhouse as a Sox announcer, he did radio for them in the '40s (play-by-play during WWII when the Commander was in the Navy being a Commander) and TV on WGN from 1948-67. It was Brickhouse to tried to talk the Sox out of moving to Channel 32, but the Sox knew better!