PDA

View Full Version : Anybody hear of this?...

Wanne
10-17-2001, 07:12 PM
This was the last paragraph on the team report on TSN:

The team needs help behind the plate and catcher Charles Johnson could return if he exercises a special clause in his contract with the Marlins that allows him to become a free agent. Johnson was acquired by the team in a trade from the Orioles on July 29, 2000. He played out the rest of the season before signing a five-year, $35 million deal with Florida. Johnson is worth the money.

This is news to me...anybody else hear of these rumblings. Personally, they never should have let him leave in the first place. He could have possibly been a 6 to 8 game difference for the Sox this past year.

Just thought I'd check in...

NUCatsFan
10-17-2001, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Wanne
This was the last paragraph on the team report on TSN:

The team needs help behind the plate and catcher Charles Johnson could return if he exercises a special clause in his contract with the Marlins that allows him to become a free agent. Johnson was acquired by the team in a trade from the Orioles on July 29, 2000. He played out the rest of the season before signing a five-year, $35 million deal with Florida. Johnson is worth the money.

This is news to me...anybody else hear of these rumblings. Personally, they never should have let him leave in the first place. He could have possibly been a 6 to 8 game difference for the Sox this past year.

Just thought I'd check in...

Hear of that clause is CJ's contract? I had heard of that before, and I believe it was discussed on this board previously. Interest from the club in CJ, or CJ's interest in the club? That's news to me. Would be a good pickup, but I don't know if the Sox will pony up the money for it.

Daver
10-17-2001, 07:34 PM
Money was why he left,he wanted 11 mil a year and the Sox,rightfully,had no interest at that price.he signed with the Marlins for considerably less.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-17-2001, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by daver
Money was why he left,he wanted 11 mil a year and the Sox,rightfully,had no interest at that price.he signed with the Marlins for considerably less.

Maybe CJ would come back for less $ today? Boy, I would love to see him behind the plate again.

If we got CJ back, plus traded for a leadoff man/centerfielder (like a Johnny Damon), I would be willing to let Clayton bat #9 and play regular shortstop.

How's that for a pronouncement!

:)

CF Damon
3B Valentin/2B Durham
DH Thomas
RF Ordonez
LF Lee
C C. Johnson
1B Konerko
2B Durham/3B Crede
SS Clayton

NUCatsFan
10-17-2001, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Maybe CJ would come back for less $ today? Boy, I would love to see him behind the plate again.

If we got CJ back, plus traded for a leadoff man/centerfielder (like a Johnny Damon), I would be willing to let Clayton bat #9 and play regular shortstop.

The one thing you're forgetting is that they're both (I believe) represented by Scott Boras. That means that we'd be tying up a great deal of money over a long period of time if we wanted both of them. You think he'd let us do a volume discount? :) Not likely. Anyway, don't forget that Damon is also a free agent after the WS (well, when the signing period starts). No trading needed. But I anticipate seeing neither of them in a ChiSox uni next year.

Bmr31
10-17-2001, 08:39 PM

CF Damon
3B Valentin/2B Durham
DH Thomas
RF Ordonez
LF Lee
C C. Johnson
1B Konerko
2B Durham/3B Crede
SS Clayton

whoooooooooooooooooaa :)

CLR01
10-17-2001, 09:18 PM

CF Damon
SS Clayton

Damnit, hey West how do i ban the webmaster? :)

FarWestChicago
10-17-2001, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by CLR01

Damnit, hey West how do i ban the webmaster? :) That's kind of hard to do, LOL!

Bmr31
10-17-2001, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
That's kind of hard to do, LOL!

Preach on PHG!!!! :)

longshot7
10-18-2001, 02:22 AM
hey CLR, that sig's a little harsh, don't you think?

in light of recent events, can't we say "All new york teams can go to indiana"? Isn't that bad enough?

rmusacch
10-18-2001, 10:20 AM

CF Damon
3B Valentin/2B Durham
DH Thomas
RF Ordonez
LF Lee
C C. Johnson
1B Konerko
2B Durham/3B Crede
SS Clayton

Can you slide over some of that crack that you are smoking. The article in TSN is probably just speculation by the writer.

Iwritecode
10-18-2001, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by longshot7

in light of recent events, can't we say "All new york teams can go to indiana"? Isn't that bad enough?

Are you sure he wasn't talking about Michigan? There is actually a city there named Hell.

Streets
10-18-2001, 09:46 PM
Now I know you're not dissing my state Longshot! There are some fine area's in the hoosier state.

GASHWOUND
10-18-2001, 10:29 PM

HEY!!!! What do you mean by that?

Well, NW Indiana and the rest of Indiana are two different worlds.

We actually have a civilization up here.

CLR01
10-18-2001, 10:45 PM

Better? If not ill ask JM to change it to canada.

Daver
10-18-2001, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by CLR01

Better? If not ill ask JM to change it to canada.

BLAME CANADA BLAME CANADA

Sorry for the Cartman quote

I couldn't resist.

CLR01
10-18-2001, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by daver

BLAME CANADA BLAME CANADA

Sorry for the Cartman quote

I couldn't resist.

LOL I could have it say All new york teams can go hunting with Daver and the moron. Would anyoe object to that?

Streets
10-19-2001, 03:01 AM
That's true Gashwound but even some NW spots such as Hobart or Lowell, C.P. that's gettin' into the Indiana hickdome. The far NW corner is most suburban.

dougs78
10-19-2001, 08:55 PM
Hey now I have been all over the state of Indiana and its not that bad....

unless you go south of Route 30. :)

Doug