PDA

View Full Version : Alex Cora not upgrade

jeremydavid
01-04-2005, 01:40 AM
Would everyone here stop [talking up] Alex Cora? He batted .264 last year with a .364 OBP. And it was a career year for him

I think we all should remember Wille of the first half and get excited that he has last year's experience under his belt. If he could hit .271 with a .346 OBP like he did first half last year he is golden. And maybe Scotty Po will educate him and how not to get thrown out stealing. So can someone explain why your so scared of Wille everyday at 2B because I definately dont get it.

It also send messages in the White Sox farm system that we don't give our guys a chance. Yankees have a horrible farm system because every time they get an openng they sign an all-star. We need to let OUR people play sometimes it seems to work for the Twinkies.

danimal81
01-04-2005, 02:10 AM
Would everyone here stop [talking up] Alex Cora? He batted .264 last year with a .364 OBP. And it was a career year for him

I think we all should remember Wille of the first half and get excited that he has last year's experience under his belt. If he could hit .271 with a .346 OBP like he did first half last year he is golden. And maybe Scotty Po will educate him and how not to get thrown out stealing. So can someone explain why your so scared of Wille everyday at 2B because I definately dont get it.

It also send messages in the White Sox farm system that we don't give our guys a chance. Yankees have a horrible farm system because every time they get an openng they sign an all-star. We need to let OUR people play sometimes it seems to work for the Twinkies.While I agree with your sentiments regarding Cora, remember that most of our top minor league talent over the past few years have had little to no succes with the Sox and abroad. If the problem lies in player personnel or minor league coaching, it should be fixed (however possible), then we can talk about letting the major league squad allow positions to be filled by newbies in development years. But, outside of our squalor central division this sounds more like rebuilding and less like champion building.

Flight #24
01-04-2005, 09:40 AM
No one's looking at Cora as a solution, just another Willie-like option. The difference is that his #s v. lefties are at least adequate, whereas Willie's a horrendous. So a combo of Willie & Cora could provide you a player with a .360-.370OBP, solid D, and some speed. Out of the #8 or 9 hole, that should be fine.

Tekijawa
01-04-2005, 09:50 AM
It also send messages in the White Sox farm system that we don't give our guys a chance. Yankees have a horrible farm system because every time they get an openng they sign an all-star. We need to let OUR people play sometimes it seems to work for the Twinkies.
I'm pretty sure Willie is from the Baltimore farm system... do we still need to worry about the messages we send there?

duke of dorwood
01-04-2005, 09:51 AM
Sammy Esposito would be an upgrade over Harris

(Remember him ?)

Palehose13
01-04-2005, 09:56 AM
I'm pretty sure Willie is from the Baltimore farm system... do we still need to worry about the messages we send there?
You beat me to it. :wink:

rdivaldi
01-04-2005, 10:04 AM
remember that most of our top minor league talent over the past few years have had little to no succes with the Sox and abroad.
Buerhle? Rowand? Kip Wells? Cameron? Crede? Olivo?

That statement is a bit of an exaggeration. Our farm system has produced a good amount of major leaguers over the past couple of years.

maurice
01-04-2005, 11:40 AM
Cora definitely is an upgrade over Valdez. The Sox have zero infield depth right now, so they badly need to add somebody . . . preferably a veteran who is capable of batting right handed and playing SS at least some of the time. In the likely event that one of our starting IFs get injured or just plain suck, a replacement with a .264 AVE / .364 OBP would look pretty darn sweet.

thezeker
01-04-2005, 12:05 PM

(Remember him ?)Yeah, and he'd be making well over a million dollars a year!!!!!

danimal81
01-04-2005, 12:21 PM
Buerhle? Rowand? Kip Wells? Cameron? Crede? Olivo?

That statement is a bit of an exaggeration. Our farm system has produced a good amount of major leaguers over the past couple of years.
Kip Wells, Cy Young Winner 2008
Joe Crede, AL MVP 2006, 2007, 2009
Miguel Olivo, Voted to HOF on first ballot (first catcher since Ivan Rodriguez)

I guess I was wrong, our farm system has done pretty well over the last 5 or 6 years.

Gimme a break, outside of Beurhle and Cameron (maybe if AR can keep it up), who is there???
Who???

Lemme have what he's havin. :gulp:

White Sox Randy
01-04-2005, 01:47 PM
I couldn't agree with you more. The fact is that the last 5 drafts have not produced even one player that has made an impact.

By the way, we got Olivo from Oakland.

Flight #24
01-04-2005, 02:34 PM
I couldn't agree with you more. The fact is that the last 5 drafts have not produced even one player that has made an impact.

By the way, we got Olivo from Oakland.
Would you consider Freddy Garcia an impact player? Jeremy Reed (drafted within last 5 years) got him here.

PaulDrake
01-04-2005, 02:46 PM

(Remember him ?) Sammy was a Mendoza line hitter, but he could fill in at three infield positions. Even at that, I agree. A definite upgrade.

Flight #24
01-04-2005, 02:54 PM
Jeremy Reed could be good, but where are our Pujols's and Beltrans???

It seems that you are feeding Danimal's point seeing that we used minor league talent to get major league players. He said we don't need minor leaguers taking up major league spots unless they deserve it...I have to agree.

Let the smaller market teams recycle minor leaguers.
Not many teams have Pujols/Beltrans. Expecting one to come along every couple of years is unrealistic.

As for the quality of our minor leagues (which was the crux of danimal's point), it helps by providing impact major leaguers (Aaron Rowand, Mark Buehrle), or by providing trade bait. You think the Atlanta Braves & St Louis Cardinals benefited from their minor league systems by being able to trade for Hudson/Mulder?

NowBatting19
01-04-2005, 09:50 PM
Again, I just don't like the idea of Cora, because whether I'm looking to deep into the situation or not, I think Willie would take a back seat to Alex with the whole family tie going on with Joey. Unless Harris is traded, I want him starting.

konerko1413
01-04-2005, 10:04 PM
to me, and im takin this from things guillen, hawk, dj, and other members in the sox organization said last year, it doesnt seem like williies problem is gettin thrown out on th steals, its that he doest have the confidence to let himself steal,

ozzie was in his first year, and now with that experience, i think we can expect him to give willie 2 weeks of what he did last year before he makes him steal bases, plus the threat of pods should kick him into gear

i also believe that willie has made recent statements saying he understands this is part of his problem and now hes ready to work it all out

anyone think the sox will get over 150 stolen bases in 2005 with the combo of pods, willie, uribe, rowand, timo, and the 2nd basemen to be named (who i take will have speed) adding the fact that ozzie and raines will be there to push them along

i would love to see the sox have 1-dog come in to help with the teaching

danimal81
01-05-2005, 12:39 AM
i would love to see the sox have 1-dog come in to help with the teaching
Teach what????
Slap hitting???
Base stealing???

Sorry, but I wouldn't take advice from One-Dog on a softball team.
:bandance:

konerko1413
01-05-2005, 01:47 AM
sry, base stealing