PDA

View Full Version : Can the Reds win the NL Central?

Jjav829
01-03-2005, 10:31 PM
The offseason is slowing and I'm ready to start talking about other teams besides the Sox. I think it would be cool if we did something where every day we discuss a new team as our own little preseason preview. Still a little early to start that as there are plenty of other moves to be made. Nonetheless, look for me to start something like that once we get closer to Spring Training. Hopefully it will draw some good discussion. Nonetheless, the question I pose here pertains to the Reds and their chances in the NL Central.

They've had a decent offseason in terms of adding talent. They found their 3rd baseman in Joe Randa. They traded for Ramon Ortiz, re-signed Paul Wilson, and added Eric Milton. They are also looking at trading Austin Kearns, which is a tough call. They could really use Kearns to break up the 3 straight left-handers they have. But they have so much OF depth that if they can move Kearns for more pitching, it would be beneficial to them. As of now, they should look something like this....

1. 2B - D'Angelo Jimenez
2. 3B - Joe Randa
3. 1B - Sean Casey
4. LF - Adam Dunn
5. RF - Austin Kearns
6. CF- Ken Griffey Jr.
7. C - Jason Larue
8. SS - Felipe Lopez/Anderson Machado

Rotation:
1. Paul Wilson
2. Eric Milton
3. Ramon Ortiz
4. Aaron Harang
5. Josh Hancock/Luke Hudson/Brandon Claussen

Bullpen: Danny Graves, David Weathers, Kent Mercker, Ryan Wagner, Joe Valentine, Ben Weber, Jose Acevedo.

Of course, the NL Central is going to be pretty tough. But the Reds offense should be fine. They are lacking a good shortstop. It's possible Jimenez could be moved there if they are desperate enough. Griffey will likely bat higher, but he should probably be batting 6th. As for their rotation, well, it isn't great. They overpaid Milton and even Wilson. But they have some good young pitchers that could step up, and a few solid veterans at the top. They'll have to outslug teams for wins in their home park, but it's possible with that lineup. If they don't trade Kearns, they'll have good depth with Willy Mo Pena and Ryan Freel on the bench. I think they'll put up a good fight and be competitive, but I can't see them winning the division. If they manage to land a good pitcher for Kearns, though, I might change my mind.

Thoughts. Can the Reds put up a good fit against the likes of the Cards, Cubs, and Astros?

MUsoxfan
01-03-2005, 10:32 PM
No

MUsoxfan
01-03-2005, 10:35 PM
I only say that because you can basically scratch Griff from the lineup right now, and their pitching will fall apart like it always does. Paul Wilson was on fire for a while last year....started 9-0 something like that, then he just hit the wall. Pitching is an epidemic for that team

doublem23
01-03-2005, 10:36 PM
I mean, anything is possible, but in all probability, I don't know if the Reds have the pitching to match the Cubs and Astros. I could see them finishing ahead of St. Louis.

OEO Magglio
01-03-2005, 10:37 PM
The offseason is slowing and I'm ready to start talking about other teams besides the Sox. I think it would be cool if we did something where every day we discuss a new team as our own little preseason preview. Still a little early to start that as there are plenty of other moves to be made. Nonetheless, look for me to start something like that once we get closer to Spring Training. Hopefully it will draw some good discussion. Nonetheless, the question I pose here pertains to the Reds and their chances in the NL Central.

They've had a decent offseason in terms of adding talent. They found their 3rd baseman in Joe Randa. They traded for Ramon Ortiz, re-signed Paul Wilson, and added Eric Milton. They are also looking at trading Austin Kearns, which is a tough call. They could really use Kearns to break up the 3 straight left-handers they have. But they have so much OF depth that if they can move Kearns for more pitching, it would be beneficial to them. As of now, they should look something like this....

1. 2B - D'Angelo Jimenez
2. 3B - Joe Randa
3. 1B - Sean Casey
4. LF - Adam Dunn
5. RF - Austin Kearns
6. CF- Ken Griffey Jr.
7. C - Jason Larue
8. SS - Felipe Lopez/Anderson Machado

Rotation:
1. Paul Wilson
2. Eric Milton
3. Ramon Ortiz
4. Aaron Harang
5. Josh Hancock/Luke Hudson/Brandon Claussen

Bullpen: Danny Graves, David Weathers, Kent Mercker, Ryan Wagner, Joe Valentine, Ben Weber, Jose Acevedo.

Of course, the NL Central is going to be pretty tough. But the Reds offense should be fine. They are lacking a good shortstop. It's possible Jimenez could be moved there if they are desperate enough. Griffey will likely bat higher, but he should probably be batting 6th. As for their rotation, well, it isn't great. They overpaid Milton and even Wilson. But they have some good young pitchers that could step up, and a few solid veterans at the top. They'll have to outslug teams for wins in their home park, but it's possible with that lineup. If they don't trade Kearns, they'll have good depth with Willy Mo Pena and Ryan Freel on the bench. I think they'll put up a good fight and be competitive, but I can't see them winning the division. If they manage to land a good pitcher for Kearns, though, I might change my mind.

Thoughts. Can the Reds put up a good fit against the likes of the Cards, Cubs, and Astros?

Don't think so yet. I like their lineup for the most part although you won't win with D'angelo on your team. I like their revamped pen, looks very nice to me. Still there starting pitching is horrid, I'm interested to see how Ramon Ortiz does though, I got a feeling he might have a decent year. Milton still sucks and I see him posting an era over 5 and when Paul Wilson is your ace you have issues. Jmo.

WinningUgly!
01-03-2005, 11:08 PM
They are lacking a good shortstop. It's possible Jimenez could be moved there if they are desperate enough.
.................................................. .................................................. ...

If they don't trade Kearns, they'll have good depth with Willy Mo Pena and Ryan Freel on the bench. I think they'll put up a good fight and be competitive, but I can't see them winning the division. If they manage to land a good pitcher for Kearns, though, I might change my mind.
The Reds need to get Ryan Freel in the lineup everyday. I didn't get to see Freel play a whole lot last year, but everytime I did, he looked like the ultimate grinder. He had 37 stolen bases in '04, as much as the rest of the team combined. He just seems to be too much of a needed missing element in the Cincy lineup to remain on the bench. Moving Jimenez over to SS & sticking Freel at 2b, might be the way to go.

Wily Mo Pena has all the power in the world...and all the strike outs too. I'm sure he'll get his share of playing time, once Griffey Jr. goes down again.

They're a .500 team, at best.

bafiarocks03
01-03-2005, 11:14 PM
YEA!! GO Reds!!! Go D'lo!!!:D:

OEO Magglio
01-03-2005, 11:21 PM
YEA!! GO Reds!!! Go D'lo!!!:D:
You need to get a new favorite player :cool:

munchman33
01-03-2005, 11:24 PM
The Reds are certainly on the cusp. They also have 4 great outfielders. If they trade Dunn or Kearns and get a front line starter, I'd bite.

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-04-2005, 12:54 AM
It could definitely happen, you never know with pitching. For example, last year everyone was talking about how the cubs and the Astros were going to duke it out for the top spot in the NL with their pitching staffs, while at the same time counting out the cardinals other than as a lock for 3rd place in the NL central because of their pitching. As we all know, the cardinals ended up emerging with their great pitching and offense and won 105 games. The Reds made a really solid effort to improve their rotation by brining in Ortiz and Milton. I definitely think this could Reds team could contend in the NL central next year if the Astros and Cubs don't make anymore moves.

fquaye149
01-04-2005, 01:22 PM
everything would have to go right and everyone would have to play out of their mind (although w/ d'angelo on the team, playing out of your mind is an everyday occurence).

Even then, I don't see much more than a 2003 royals thing.

And that's best case scenario. They just don't have the depth in the lineup or pitching to do it.

Having said that, they've pulled some coups signing wilson, milton AND ortiz and improved the team a good amount.

duke of dorwood
01-04-2005, 01:53 PM
I'd settle for their Line Up

WhiteSoxFan84
01-04-2005, 01:57 PM
You need to get a new favorite player :cool:
Ah..... you're telling other's to get a new favorite player? lol, I'm kidding... or am I? :cool:

To answer JJav's question, I doubt the Reds can win the NL Central but they will do a lot better than anyone expects them to. I see them finishing 3rd with an 82-80 record.