PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Thread: Vazquez still a possibility

BRDSR
01-03-2005, 04:44 PM
Was listening to WMVP at the 3:00 break and I believe the update reported that if/when Vazquez becomes a Diamondback, he will be shopped by the Diamondbacks. Among the teams mentioned as possibly interested teams were the White Sox. I know this topic has been beaten like a dead horse on this board but this is the first mention I've heard from a major media outlet since the White Sox were still involved in 3-way talks with the DBacks and Yankees. Does anyone else have information on this and what does everyone think? I think that Garland plus prospects would make it a good deal from our end but it doesn't seem likely. More likely they still want Konerko which I'd be real reluctant to do. If they demand Konerko I'd just as soon leave an already solid rotation in-tact while preserving some mof the power we have left.

MUsoxfan
01-03-2005, 04:53 PM
I'm scared of the Sox dealing with Arizona if they're gonna shop Vazquez like highway robbers as they did with RJ. KW doesn't always think rationally

JUribe1989
01-03-2005, 04:56 PM
I don't want Vazquez. Garland had a better ERA than him and Garland showed a lot of promise at the very end of the season. Garland also pitched some pretty great games this year against the Twins and Yankees. Being a fifth starter will take some pressure off him. Maybe that will help him to walk less people which is his biggest problem.

BRDSR
01-03-2005, 05:00 PM
I don't want Vazquez. Garland had a better ERA than him and Garland showed a lot of promise at the very end of the season. Garland also pitched some pretty great games this year against the Twins and Yankees. Being a fifth starter will take some pressure off him. Maybe that will help him to walk less people which is his biggest problem.
Maybe, but I'm not sure he should be our fifth starter, at least at the beginning of the season. I'd rather see El Duque begin the season as fifth starter to shave off a few innings from his totals and hopefully get him June/July with a strong, injury free arm. The rotation I'd like to see at this point is Buerhle, Garcia, Contreras, Garland, Hernandez, in that order. If El Duque makes it out of spring months injury free and is posting better numbers than Garland, that would be the time to move him up. But even if he isn't the 5th starter, having 5 solid starters should take some pressure off him as well as all of them. On the other hand, what's more pressure than pitching for the Yankees in New York. If it's pressure you're worried about, I would think Vazquez would experience a huge decrease in pressure pitching on the South Side.

JUribe1989
01-03-2005, 05:03 PM
I don't mind El Duque third because if he does tire we have three emergency starters in Grilli, Diaz and Hermanson. With Garland being fifth, he may feel that he has something to prove which could help.

01-03-2005, 05:13 PM
They can't afford him that why...they got him for bait...even with the money the yankees have given him...they are nearly bankrupt and they signed Green, Glaus (too way to much) and Ortiz (to way to much) they can't handle Vasquezs contract

BRDSR
01-03-2005, 05:13 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=577&e=1&u=/nm/20050103/sp_nm/mlb_selig_dc

This article, per YahooNews, makes no mention of the DBacks shopping Vazquez.

Once the Johnson deal is finalized, the Diamondbacks are expected to trade Navarro or possibly one of their other catching prospects in Koyie Hill or Chris Snyder, plus a minor league pitcher to the Dodgers for Shawn Green. The Dodgers would also send the Diamondbacks some money to contribute to Green's $16 million salary due next season.
It's probably all one big moot point. I wouldn't get terribly excited about him anyway. I think he'd be a modest improvement over Garland but I don't think it would put us over the top. AJ and a quality utility infielder would be a much better addition.