PDA

View Full Version : L.A. Angels of Anaheim

Hitmen77
01-03-2005, 01:35 PM
The Angels new name:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/sns-ap-bba-angels-name-change,1,5856031.story?coll=sns-ap-sports-headlines

I don't think this name is inclusive enough. Maybe they should try to cover all of their past names and call themselves the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim California.

:reinsy
Hey, since I have conceded that Chicago always was and always will be a Cubs town, I'm going to change the Sox official name to the "Chicago White Sox of Bridgeport."

NonetheLoaiza
01-03-2005, 01:39 PM
That's more confusing than the Chicago Bears brought to you by Bank One, or whatever that was supposed to be.

Honestly, the Angels have a personality disorder. It seems like every other year they are changing their name or uniforms. Exactly how far away is Anaheim from LA? And why bother changing the name anyway?

Kogs35
01-03-2005, 01:42 PM
the la counsil is passing a resolution to say the dodgers r the only team in la. merano is just high on something thats going to be changed back cause he will loos. if he owned the mighty ducks he would want them to be the la mighty ducks. if he wanted to be in la he should bought the dodgers.

MUsoxfan
01-03-2005, 01:42 PM
That's crap. They're not in L.A. I've never been to CA, so I just went to Mapquest and did a search. The two cities are more than 26 miles apart. Christ, the Padres might as well change their name to the S.F. Padres of San Diego

Tekijawa
01-03-2005, 01:49 PM
That's crap. They're not in L.A. I've never been to CA, so I just went to Mapquest and did a search. The two cities are more than 26 miles apart. Christ, the Padres might as well change their name to the S.F. Padres of San Diego
How about: The Chicago White Sox of Wrigleyville? That might draw a few more fans...lol

PaleHoseGeorge
01-03-2005, 01:50 PM
Oh the hell with it. Just name them the Mighty Los Angeles Angel Ducks of Anaheim.

:o:

MUsoxfan
01-03-2005, 01:56 PM
Oh the hell with it. Just name them the Mighty Los Angeles Angel Ducks of Anaheim.

:o:
They'd run out to the field in a Flying V and every pitcher would have to learn a knuckeball

Nick@Nite
01-03-2005, 02:02 PM
... how stupid.

:whatever:

OurBitchinMinny
01-03-2005, 02:05 PM
just change it back to california angels if you cant decide. LA Angels of Anaheim is just lame

Rocky Soprano
01-03-2005, 02:08 PM
Wow, how stupid!

Viva Medias B's
01-03-2005, 02:17 PM
Does this mean we'll see LAA and LAD (vis a vis NYY and NYM) on the out of town scoreboard?

OurBitchinMinny
01-03-2005, 02:37 PM
would it be LAAA? Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Or the L-AAA?

longshot7
01-03-2005, 02:38 PM
As an Angels season-ticketholder, I say:

BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but there's no confirmation on the Angels website, so maybe this isn't true yet.

woodenleg
01-03-2005, 03:57 PM
How 'bout changing it to something less confusing - say, the People's Front of Judea?

Sigh...

DumpJerry
01-03-2005, 04:30 PM
So the owner thinks a name change will improve marketing? Good thing Gallas is gone. We could have become the "Chicago White Sox Winners unlike the Cubs" or some other weird name...............

doublem23
01-03-2005, 04:33 PM
I think they have to keep the Anahiem for legal purposes with the town, but I am all in favor of dropping Anaheim for Los Angeles.

eshunn2001
01-03-2005, 05:41 PM
As an Angels season-ticketholder, I say:

BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but there's no confirmation on the Angels website, so maybe this isn't true yet.
As another season ticket holder I say BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO with you.

Lip Man 1
01-03-2005, 08:07 PM
I like it as long as they go back to using the original logo (L A interlocking with wings) or have the 'halo' back on the caps.

Lip

HawkDJ
01-03-2005, 08:28 PM
The Pistons play about 31 miles from Detroit...

zach074
01-03-2005, 08:37 PM
Wow their hats are going to be confusing.

voodoochile
01-03-2005, 08:43 PM
The should have just named them Los Angeles of Anaheim

batmanZoSo
01-03-2005, 08:45 PM
The Angels new name:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/sns-ap-bba-angels-name-change,1,5856031.story?coll=sns-ap-sports-headlines

I don't think this name is inclusive enough. Maybe they should try to cover all of their past names and call themselves the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim California.

:reinsy
Hey, since I have conceded that Chicago always was and always will be a Cubs town, I'm going to change the Sox official name to the "Chicago White Sox of Bridgeport."

I always thought "Anaheim" was stupid. Nor did Los Angeles Angels ever sound right--I mean think about it, "the angels angels" is what that means. I liked the ring that California Angels had. Even though it's rather boastful to encompass a state that huge with that many teams in it, I'm of the belief that a teams name should be based on what has the best sound. Florida Marlins, for instance, sounds better than the alliterative Miami Marlins in my opinion.

But the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim is just moronic. You also have the "Mighty Ducks of Anaheim." Why can't that city play by the freakin' rules, eh? :?:

SuperSteve
01-03-2005, 08:47 PM
But the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim is just moronic. You also have the "Mighty Ducks of Anaheim." Why can't that city play by the freakin' rules, eh? Just priceless. I think the name is silly, but whatever floats his Moreno's boat.

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-03-2005, 09:02 PM
They should go back to their roots and slap California at the end of the name! How does The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, California sound? You please all 3 groups in one name! You get LA, Anaheim, AND california. :wink:

PaleHoseGeorge
01-03-2005, 09:06 PM
They should go back to their roots and slap California at the end of the name! How does The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, California sound? You please all 3 groups in one name! You get LA, Anaheim, AND california. :wink:
Good idea, but I would just go full bore.

The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, California, USA! USA! USA!

This way you pick up all the xenophobes around the country, too.
:cool:

PaleHoseGeorge
01-03-2005, 09:11 PM

This way you pick up all the xenophobes around the country, too.

Wait a minute! Can't forget all those postal workers around the country!!!

The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, California 92803, USA! USA! USA!

Much better.
:cool:

Kogs35
01-03-2005, 09:39 PM
just call them the hollywood angels, then they could captilize on la and florida!!!:cool:

Hitmen77
01-03-2005, 10:04 PM
Good idea, I wish I thought of that.....wait a minute, I already did in the first post of this thread :D:

Hitmen77
01-03-2005, 10:07 PM
I'm not sure why the Angels are giving themselves such an identity crisis. They were 3rd in the league in attendance last year! Can you even imagine the Sox drawing 3.3 million in a season?

MUsoxfan
01-03-2005, 10:16 PM
I'm not sure why the Angels are giving themselves such an identity crisis. They were 3rd in the league in attendance last year! Can you even imagine the Sox drawing 3.3 million in a season?
The Sox would draw close to capacity in the stretch run of a pennant race and another great year after a World Series title. The Angels are new to drawing that many people...coincidentally it happened in consecutive years of great baseball

Brian26
01-03-2005, 10:47 PM
Wow. I'm blown away at how dumb this is. Unbelievable. I say you keep the Anaheim name just because you won the World Series with it 2 years ago.

A.T. Money
01-04-2005, 02:13 AM
That's pretty messed up.

The Chicago White Sox of Reinsdorf.

SomebodyToldMe
01-04-2005, 02:29 AM
That's the best suggestion here.

Because it has the L.A. in it as well as Anaheim.

And it STILL means "Anaheim Angels".

doublem23
01-04-2005, 02:44 AM
I always thought "Anaheim" was stupid. Nor did Los Angeles Angels ever sound right--I mean think about it, "the angels angels" is what that means. Translating a proper noun to its orginal meaning never works out well. Otherwise then what are we? The "Smelly Onion" White Sox, or something along those lines?

I still like Los Angeles Angels more than Anaheim Angels. I don't really think anyone will call them the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim except for people getting payed by the organization.

Nick@Nite
01-04-2005, 07:35 AM
Their name should be 'The team formerly known as California now known as the L.A. Angels of Anaheim'.

If they have any doubt, the Angels organization should consult with Prince immediately.

Hangar18
01-04-2005, 02:12 PM
I too am surprised the Angels Lack of Self-Confidence.

chisoxmike
01-04-2005, 02:20 PM
What a horrible name! Just think... the Chicago White Sox of Bridgeport, the New York Yankees of the Bronx....Blah.

Corlose 15
01-04-2005, 05:47 PM
How 'bout changing it to something less confusing - say, the People's Front of Judea?

Sigh...
Just as long as it isn't the Judean People's Front. If there's anyone I hate more than the bloody Cubs is the F'n Judean Peoples Front.:angry:

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

MUsoxfan
01-04-2005, 05:57 PM
What a horrible name! Just think... the Chicago White Sox of Bridgeport, the New York Yankees of the Bronx....Blah.

At least those names would be representative of the cities the teams play in. I was reading something on the Marquette board about how people in Orange County (Anaheim) don't much care for the people in L.A. County and vice versa. The social and economical diversity is immense I guess. (sort of like the N.S. and S.S. Chicago) They're like apples and...well....oranges. I guess the people of Orange County shelled out alot of money years back for stadium improvements to keep the team in Anaheim. This is a kick in the balls for people in Anaheim

Jjav829
01-04-2005, 06:43 PM
Just think, in 20 years some young child will walk up to his/her parents and blurt out "I wanna go see the Google Chicago White Sox of Bridgeport presented by UPS play at U.S. Cellular Field of Target Park."

Baby Fisk
01-04-2005, 06:51 PM
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Gotta quote the Hawk on this one:

:hawk
"That is laughable and sad."

batmanZoSo
01-04-2005, 09:19 PM
Just once more...who is the MORON who came up with this crap? Does anyone on earth think that sounds good? Unbelievable.

MiamiSpartan
01-06-2005, 09:42 AM
The Florida Marlins will herby be known as the "Florida Marlins of Unicorporated Miami-Dade County."

any logo ideas for this one???

FedEx227
01-06-2005, 10:42 PM
Just think, in 20 years some young child will walk up to his/her parents and blurt out "I wanna go see the Google Chicago White Sox of Bridgeport presented by UPS play at U.S. Cellular Field of Target Park."
We can only hope!

wdelaney72
01-06-2005, 10:58 PM
I always thought "Anaheim" was stupid.
You obviously have never been there. There's nothing stupid about "Anaheim Angels" - Anaheim is where they play. There is plenty of baseball love in the area to support the Dodgers in LA and the Angels in Anaheim. In fact, there about as far away from each other as the urinal and Milwaukee.

People forget about the history of football in the LA area. Once upon a time, there was a football team named the LA Rams. They were THE team in the area. When Rams ownership moved them out to Anaheim, they lost A LOT of there fan base and never recovered it. When the Raiders moved to LA and played in LA at the Colliseum, they instantly became the darlings of the area. The Rams never recovered and eventually relocated to St. Louis.

The Angels are being VERY stupid and need to think a little more thoroughly about staying loyal to their fan base. Not only is the name stupid, it's bad PR.

FedEx227
01-06-2005, 11:03 PM
yeah its as simple as that....they are the Anaheim Angels, thats where they play...

plus I think they'd be better off being the Anaheim Angels with their success recently, i'd be a better idea to not associate yourselves with the Dodgers.

but money rules the world...

NWSox
01-07-2005, 12:19 AM
I have no issue with Moreno trying to change the name to Los Angeles. According to the stadium deal, he has to keep Anaheim in the name, so that explains the tortured name. But this guy made a substantial investment by buying this team and is trying to increase the value of his investment. The name LA Angels has far more appeal nationally and internationally, and that matters when you're talking about merchandise and marketing. Plus, he's shown a willingness to spend some money to improve the team. If you live in Anaheim and your feelings are a little hurt, the fact that your owner is trying to create a powerhouse MLB franchise should ease your pain.

Ask Giants or Jets fans if they would rather be called the New Jersey Giants or New Jersey Jets.

kojak
01-07-2005, 12:21 AM
Just as long as it isn't the Judean People's Front. If there's anyone I hate more than the bloody Cubs is the F'n Judean Peoples Front.:angry:

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Splitters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

:redneck

batmanZoSo
01-07-2005, 12:30 AM
You obviously have never been there. There's nothing stupid about "Anaheim Angels" - Anaheim is where they play. There is plenty of baseball love in the area to support the Dodgers in LA and the Angels in Anaheim. In fact, there about as far away from each other as the urinal and Milwaukee.

People forget about the history of football in the LA area. Once upon a time, there was a football team named the LA Rams. They were THE team in the area. When Rams ownership moved them out to Anaheim, they lost A LOT of there fan base and never recovered it. When the Raiders moved to LA and played in LA at the Colliseum, they instantly became the darlings of the area. The Rams never recovered and eventually relocated to St. Louis.

The Angels are being VERY stupid and need to think a little more thoroughly about staying loyal to their fan base. Not only is the name stupid, it's bad PR.
I don't care about any of this. I said it's stupid because of the way it sounds.

MrRoboto83
01-09-2005, 06:05 PM
You think the Sox would of been the Addison White Sox when they were going to build that cookie cutter in the west burbs for them in the late 70's early 80's?

Johnny Mostil
01-09-2005, 06:17 PM
Almost. I'd go with los Angeles de Anaheim (and with an accent on the first 'A'). Make a big play for the Spanish-speaking market, no? Well, maybe not, but it seems more marketable than LAAA.