PDA

View Full Version : When did you become a Sox fan

eastchicagosoxfan
01-02-2005, 11:35 AM
In reading the Robin Ventura thread, many people said that they became Sox fans as a result of some of his batting exploits in the early 1990's. Hence this thread. Were you born a Sox fan, or was there a game or season that made you into a Sox fan? Or was it just that the Cubs so repulsed you after school, that you watched the Sox on WSNS, channel 44, and became a fan. Personally for me, I was a fan when the Club Ki-Yowga Little League had an annual trip to the ballpark. This was in the mid 1970's, and there were some bad teams. But I became a fan of Wilbur Wood, Carlos May, etc.

idseer
01-02-2005, 11:42 AM
i became a fan when chico carrasquel was playing short for the sox.

haven't we had 4 or 5 of these same threads? maybe there should be a permanent list where posters can enter this info for all to see. the personal bio may contain this stuff but a new poster certainly isn't going to go thru everyone's bio. there's a lot of neat features here ... why not one devoted to posters?

batmanZoSo
01-02-2005, 12:01 PM
I became a Sox fan when I saw Wilson Alvarez throw a no-no on WGN. Before that, I wasn't much of a baseball watcher (as I was only 9), but inclined toward the dark side because of family influence. But after that, and one look at Frank Thomas, I never turned back.

Fredsox
01-02-2005, 12:21 PM
As a kid I was a Cub fan until 1969. I didn't really follow baseball in 1970, but in 1971 I went to a game with another kid who was a very passionate Sox fan. We saw Wilbur Wood pitch against Vida Blue (talk about a contrast!) and that was it for me. There was something real and working-class about a fat guy who loved beer pitching against a greyhound like Vida Blue. Wood, Pat Kelly, and Bill Melton were my first Sox heroes.

SoxFan48
01-02-2005, 01:19 PM
When Gus Zernial hit 3 hrs in the final day of the 1950 season.

SouthSideHitman
01-02-2005, 01:28 PM
Since birth. My dad grew up in Jersey and Yankees fan and when he moved here to go to U of C he became a Sox fan due to both geography and love of the American League. Although I can't remember them, I attended many games at Old Comiskey Park, both prenatally and as a youngster. Growing up in Hyde Park, I couldn't remember ever being a fan of any team but the Sox.

zach074
01-02-2005, 01:32 PM
I started to like Robin when i was probably 5 or so but i really haven't been to passionate about the team until the last couple of years.

PaulDrake
01-02-2005, 01:37 PM
Yes this thread is a repeat, but what the hell. It was the late spring of 1957 for me. The Sox were hot early in the year, then faded. The Yanks came into town in late Aug or early Sept and swept the Sox, effectively eliminating them. I seem to recall an irate Sox fan pouring beer on Casey Stengel. Anyway, I was just a little kid, and from that season on I've been hooked. Nearly a half century and countless Sox games seen live or on the tube I'm still here. My patience is at the threadbare level now. Grouchy old age and Reinsdorf fatigue are the major reasons.

RKMeibalane
01-02-2005, 01:39 PM
I became a Sox fan around 1997-98. Even before that, however, I watched a number of their games on WGN, so I was more than familiar with Frank Thomas, Robin Ventura, Harold Baines, Carlton Fisk, etc. I first started following baseball full time in 1992, and the Sox were an up-and-coming team then. I remember rooting for them in 1993 when they reached the ALCS.

winning ugly 72
01-02-2005, 01:51 PM
i have been a sox fan since birth but i really got hooked was in 1983 and i have never cared for any other team as much as i do for the whitesox

kojak
01-02-2005, 02:02 PM
Sadly, I grew up in Pennsylvania rooting for the Cubs of the late 1970s. It wasn't until I moved back to Chicago in 1981 and watched Harry and Jimmy calling the Sox games on WFLD that I realized the folly of my youth and returned to my South Side heritage...

FedEx227
01-02-2005, 02:23 PM
i was born into it...from 3 generations of White Sox fans.

eastchicagosoxfan
01-02-2005, 02:29 PM
i became a fan when chico carrasquel was playing short for the sox.

haven't we had 4 or 5 of these same threads? maybe there should be a permanent list where posters can enter this info for all to see. the personal bio may contain this stuff but a new poster certainly isn't going to go thru everyone's bio. there's a lot of neat features here ... why not one devoted to posters?I figured the thread was probably done before, but heck, it's an easy way to gain insight into other people who contribute to the sight. Besides, new people are coming into the fold everyday. Thanks for contributing.

rwcescato
01-02-2005, 03:48 PM
1964 the year I was born I was a Sox fan. The first teams I remember
were the early to mid '70's teams. Ed Herman as catcher, Dick Allen,
Stan Bahnson, Bill North I think, Wilbur Wood. All old timers would bet the Picture. I remember going to a game and it was give away day. I got a coffee mug with all the players pictures on it.
Rich

SOXintheBURGH
01-02-2005, 03:51 PM
Born into it.. my dad grew up in Rockford and his dad hated the Cubs and loved the Sox, therefore my dad hated the Cubs and loved the Sox, and now I do the same.

PicktoCLick72
01-02-2005, 03:59 PM
I was born into it. I have never known anything else but bleeding silver and black.

soxwon
01-02-2005, 04:05 PM
6-6-56 6:00 AM

minute i was born
yes i am a 666

first game 65 vs yankees

BridgePortNative
01-02-2005, 04:22 PM
Well, for me I never became a Sox fan, I was, I am, and will always be a Sox fan. It's in my blood, I was born into it. Although following it for some time, I didn't get as passionate for the White Sox till the 2000 season. Unfortunatly I didn't have the privilage to see the hay days of the Sox or going to Old Comiskey (at least remembering going there).

fquaye149
01-02-2005, 04:24 PM
I think I truly became a Sox fan when I opened up a pack of 1992 Donruss baseball cards to find a shiny new Frank Thomas Diamond Kings insert (worth $15.00...and going up!)

When you're 9, it's the little things:smile:

batmanZoSo
01-02-2005, 04:28 PM
I was born into it. I have never known anything else but bleeding silver and black.
Or red and blue if you were born in the 80s. Or red, or black and red, or columbia blue and white, or navy and white...never mind...

:cool:

CallMeNuts
01-02-2005, 05:40 PM
I just turned 47 and I've been a Sox fan for 47 years & 9 months. :redface:

Whitesox029
01-02-2005, 05:48 PM
I will have been a Sox fan for 17 years and 4 months tomorrow.
I am not a legal adult.
That should give you an idea.

zach074
01-02-2005, 06:14 PM
Something that got me into becoming a big sox fan, (besides this website and cub hatred) Was just hearing the announcer say here is your 2000 Chicago White Sox.

tlebar318
01-02-2005, 06:38 PM
Well, for me I never became a Sox fan, I was, I am, and will always be a Sox fan. It's in my blood, I was born into it. Although following it for some time, I didn't get as passionate for the White Sox till the 2000 season. Unfortunatly I didn't have the privilage to see the hay days of the Sox or going to Old Comiskey (at least remembering going there).
It's in my blood too--born in Bridgeport, 1965. lived at 35th and Wallace. Walked to many a game as a kid and it just stuck with me. I remember really loving the old Red and White pinstripes....Brian Downing and Bucky Dent were my boys! I have been deep into this team since birth. Go Sox! What the hell--40 years is long enough--let's win it in 2005! Beer me! :gulp:

Chrisaway
01-02-2005, 06:44 PM
This thread has happened before perhaps we should stick one to the top since there's alot of new members lately. Anywho here goes again...

At the tender age of 8 (1988), I wore my White Sox hat (the white one in my sig) to the Lincoln Park Zoo. Back then I liked both teams (hey i was just a kid). And low and behold, some senile old guy decked out in Cubs gear started yelling incoherantly about how the Sox sucked. I'll never forget the boogers hanging from his nose. I was horrified and I've been a militant White Sox fan ever since.

zach074
01-02-2005, 06:56 PM
This thread has happened before perhaps we should stick one to the top since there's alot of new members lately. Anywho here goes again...

At the tender age of 8 (1988), I wore my White Sox hat (the white one in my sig) to the Lincoln Park Zoo. Back then I liked both teams (hey i was just a kid). And low and behold, some senile old guy decked out in Cubs gear started yelling incoherantly about how the Sox sucked. I'll never forget the boogers hanging from his nose. I was horrified and I've been a militant White Sox fan ever since.
Thank god for old guys with boogers hanging out of there noses.

DSpivack
01-02-2005, 07:04 PM
I went to game 6 of the 93 ALCS; my whole family was, and still are, Cubs fans. The atmosphere surrounding that game, the awesomeness of Black Jack, Big Frank, and 'good guys wear black' was infinitely superior to the lameness of Cubdom, especially the teams in the early 90s (led by, who? Frank Castillo? Jim Bulllinger? Jose Vizcaino?).

It didn't completely happen that nite, but it was a gradual thing. By 1998 it was ensured that I would be a Sox fan.

tlebar318
01-02-2005, 07:11 PM

At the tender age of 8 (1988), I wore my White Sox hat (the white one in my sig) to the Lincoln Park Zoo. Back then I liked both teams (hey i was just a kid). And low and behold, some senile old guy decked out in Cubs gear started yelling incoherantly about how the Sox sucked. I'll never forget the boogers hanging from his nose. I was horrified and I've been a militant White Sox fan ever since.I remember this quote...I am the curse of the crushed helmet at Wrigley guy! :D: Cubs will not win in 2005! The booger curse and helmet curse will keep it from happening! :bandance:

WhiteSoxFan84
01-02-2005, 07:26 PM
The day I found out that Chicago is a "Cubs Town". I'm a huge fan of the underdog. Then when I got into baseball and the White Sox and actually understood the game and history, I realized I wasn't really cheering for the underdog. But I still love'em.

mike squires
01-02-2005, 07:45 PM
I was also born into it. Passed down from my dad and his dad. It was around 82-83 I started really getting to know the players and the game. Sadly my first game was in 82 at Wrigly against the Expos. (It was with a friend and his dad) I came home with a rag ball and a helmet and was a Cub fan (Luckily it only last a day or two) I've always been a Sox fan. Over the years my dad as lost some of the passion for the game. HE still likes the Sox and we talk baseball but he is one that will pull for the Cubs if they are in the playoffs or a big game. I hope that nver happens to me.

chisox117
01-02-2005, 08:08 PM
My family would go to Comiskey as a group a couple of times a season going back to the 50ís. I think my first time going on one of these outings was July or August í79. I loved going to the park and watching the Sox play, but I probably didnít become a die-hard fan (following the Sox on TV/ radio, studying stats in the paper, etc.) until í83. Kittle, Luzinski and Julio Cruz were my favorites on that team.
:gulp:

Brian26
01-02-2005, 08:18 PM
This is a great thread. I'm amazed at the age spread across the board. I seem to fall somewhere in between everyone.

I was born in '72. I got into baseball in the late 70's as a Cubs fan, mostly because that's what was on television when I would come home from school in the afternoon. Kingman, Buckner, DeJesus, Sutter, Willie Hernandez, Mick Kelleher, Steve Ontiveras, Barry Foote...these guys were the players I grew to know. This was back when Brickhouse and Milo Hamilton were calling the games, and the Wrigley bleachers were 30% full on any given day. Up to this point, I knew little to nothing about the Sox since their games were broadcast at night on a UHF station that had terrible reception. Between the bad tv outlet and having to go to bed early, it was hard to even know about the Sox.

I became a Sox fan sometime after the 1980 season. The Cubs had ended the season with a horrible losing streak (something like 13 games in a row), so I decided it was time for a change. The new owners had just come into town and signed Fisk and Luzinski. Chet Lemon still seemed to be the big name on the team. I think the Sox signed a deal with WGN to get some of their games broadcast on Channel 9 that year. I've been a Sox fan ever since and would never go back.

I look back at those late 70s Cubs teams with a lot less disdain than I have for the current team. The Tribune Company didn't even own the team yet, and it seemed like the media bias didn't really exist. The lovable-loser tag didn't really exist yet for the Cubs, as they were just plain losers. Wrigley wasn't considered beautiful back then- actually it was more of a strange anomaly that some people even looked down upon because of the lack of lights. It's strange how times change.

Takatsufan
01-02-2005, 08:52 PM
I am the product of three generations of Sox fans. Born and raised on the Southside, but transplanted to the black hole that is the Northwest Suburbs

MikeW
01-02-2005, 09:16 PM
Since 1961 or 1962. Mike Hershberger,Floyd Robinson,Juan Pizarro,Nellie Fox,Sherm Lollar and so on and so on. And in New Jersey of all places. Try dealing with all those Yankee nuts during those years!!!

konerko1413
01-02-2005, 09:41 PM
i was a born and raised sox fan, my dad had me watching the sox since i can remember, i am just too lucky my dad wasnt a cub fan

sox fan from 1988-forever

awesomefan
01-02-2005, 10:14 PM
Orginally I lived in Missouri & was a Cardinal fan in the 60's, 70's & 80's until I moved to Illinois & became a die-hard White Sox fan because I couldn't get Cardinal games on TV here in the 90's.

No Way would I become a Cub fan. Now I love the White Sox & baseball very much.

I can get Cardinal games on TV now, but the White Sox are still my favorite team.:wink:

kaufsox
01-02-2005, 11:08 PM
I became a Sox fan in 1998. I had been working at Wrigley Field for the past three years, and each year it got more and more annoying. I have always loved baseball, so when the Cubs weren't in town, I'd catch some Sox games. I noticed at Comiskey that, unlike Wrigley, people were actually into the games and understood what was going on. I can't tell the amount of times I would be working at Wrigley and overhear someone saying "who's playing today?" The Jimmy Buffet/beer garden/Frat house atmosphere finally wore me down. If I want to go to a bar, I go to a bar. If I want to go to ball game, I go to US Cellular. I don't hate the players. I don't hate the Tribune. But dear GOD do I hate the patrons of Wrigley Field. Having grown up in an AL town, I also have always preferred the AL to the NL anyway. The final nail in my Sox coffin was 2004 when my wife bought me season tickets. From there, it is a black and white blur... :wink:

jenmcm76
01-02-2005, 11:43 PM
I've been a Sox fan since my first trip to (Old) Comiskey in 1983. It was Girl Scout Day at the park, and I was there with my Brownie troop. We got to do a "parade" around the warning track, and we were all supposed to get in some formation and wave a colored ribbon around in a pattern choreographed to The Star Spangled Banner - seriously! I think each Chicagoland region of Girl Scouts had a different color or something... Anyway, I think they were short on time so we didn't do the ribbon routine - darn! Even as a 7-year old, I knew it was kinda dorky. :smile:

Even though the Sox lost 7-1 to the Royals that day (stupid George Brett!), this seasoned tee ball veteran was hooked. Later that year, Pizza Hut ran a promotion selling 4 laminated place mats featuring different Sox players. I collected them all, and I still remember eating dinner every night off of Greg Luzinski, my first favorite Sox player.

chisox117
01-03-2005, 02:02 AM
Pizza Hut ran a promotion selling 4 laminated place mats featuring different Sox players. I collected them all, and I still remember eating dinner every night off of Greg Luzinski, my first favorite Sox player.Those placemats were the best! Iíve managed to hang on to mine to this day (though now I only eat off 'em on special occasions). I only managed to get 3 of the 4 thoughÖIím missing the one with Baines and whoever. :cuss:

chisoxlady
01-03-2005, 10:19 AM
I'm a late arriving White Sox and baseball fan. I had no interest in either until 1990 when a friend took my 7 year old son and I to one of the last games at old Comiskey. I spent more time watching the beer vendors and the other fans than the play on the field, but I do remember an Ozzie at bat where he fouled off what seemed to be 20 pitches. I think he ended up striking out. The next game we attended was the first one the Sox WON in the new park.

My son and I were hooked on the Sox from that point on and have attended 10 - 20 games every year since. I sat through every Little League practice and game and studied the history and strategy of the game. My only regret is that I didn't discover my passion for the game and the White Sox 35 years sooner.

mike squires
01-03-2005, 10:31 AM
Welcome aboard WhiteSOx lady!!!

wilburwood
01-03-2005, 10:38 AM
In 1959 when I was 6 years old I was informed by my late dad that if I had any interest in in baseball the South Side was my only option available. He was such a South Side fan he even hated the Bears he remained a Cardinal fan. Thes not a lot of that around anymore but at one time that did exist.

JoseCanseco6969
01-03-2005, 10:54 AM
In reading the Robin Ventura thread, many people said that they became Sox fans as a result of some of his batting exploits in the early 1990's. Hence this thread. Were you born a Sox fan, or was there a game or season that made you into a Sox fan? Or was it just that the Cubs so repulsed you after school, that you watched the Sox on WSNS, channel 44, and became a fan. Personally for me, I was a fan when the Club Ki-Yowga Little League had an annual trip to the ballpark. This was in the mid 1970's, and there were some bad teams. But I became a fan of Wilbur Wood, Carlos May, etc.
I became a Sox fan early on in my life around age 5 ish or 6. I was a Cubs fan prior to that, no idea why since my parent were average Sox fans. I saw the light around 88 or 89 when a friend of mine at school said to me, "why the heck are you a Cubs fan when we live on the Southside?" I had no response and decided at that young age that I never will root for the scrubs again. Kinda cheesy story, but thats how it went. I've only grown over the years to hate the Cubs more and more with every worthless argument with Cubs fans or mindless media BS that we're force fed everyday. Even my hatred for the Packers isnt this great!

JoseCanseco6969
01-03-2005, 10:58 AM
In 1959 when I was 6 years old I was informed by my late dad that if I had any interest in in baseball the South Side was my only option available. He was such a South Side fan he even hated the Bears he remained a Cardinal fan. Thes not a lot of that around anymore but at one time that did exist.
sorry if this is a little off topic but.....
The cardinals thing always makes me wonder if I'd be a Bears fan or Cardinals fan if they never left. I'm guessing that most Sox fans would be Cards fans simply because they played at Comiskey. It amazes me how many people I've asked about the Chicago Cardinals and how many people have no idea that they even existed at all. Its a sad story how the team has almost all but been erased in the minds of Chicagoans.:whiner:

Baby Fisk
01-03-2005, 11:13 AM
In 1981 the Sox signed a catcher from Boston with a funny name. He wore a crazy navy uniform that only a 9 year old would find cool. The kid was hooked for life.

:pudge
"Way to go, kid."

Nick@Nite
01-03-2005, 11:16 AM
I become a Sox fan when when my DNA genealogically came into existence. :redneck

Seriously, growing up in east Iowa back in the '70s, I became a Sox fan while watching them play on channel 44.

24thStFan
01-03-2005, 12:03 PM
The Sox actually played in the World Series when I was five years old! Ever since, I spend each winter dreaming about how the White Sox are going to win it all next season.

I hope they hurry up. My time is running out! :wink:

ja1022
01-03-2005, 12:14 PM
As previously posted in a similar thread...
I became a Looie Aparicio fan as a seven year old in 1969 when the Don Gutteridge managed Sox really, really sucked (that's two reallys). The Sox just came along with Aparicio. After the Sox traded him after the 1970 season I tried to be a Bosox fan, but it didn't take. That's it.

fogie
01-03-2005, 12:40 PM
1954 my dad and I went to a sox game. I got hooked on all the fine pitchers the sox had in the 50's and early 60's grew up in west central Indiana.

ASUSOXGRL
01-03-2005, 07:25 PM
I've been a sox fan my whole life, i think my family would disown me if I rooted for anybody else...especially the cubs!

southsidegirl
01-03-2005, 07:38 PM
Ever since I was at the last game of Old Comiskey. I was 2 months old.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/layla239/baby.jpg

*deep inhale*AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Paulwny
01-04-2005, 11:59 AM
1955, feels like an eternity.

Joel Perez
01-04-2005, 12:17 PM
I grew up as a Sox fan. I lived at 26th and Wallace from my early years before the move to the SW side Burbs. My dad would take us as a family to Comiskey which was just a few blocks away. During the '77 year I got to meet Chet Lemon, and he was great to me and my family. My love for the Sox grew from there.

Every time I can visit Chicago, I make it a point to drive by the old neighborhood and see the new park, the now parking lot unfortunately, and just reminisce. I plan to be up there again this summer, along with my wife who will be visiting Chicago for the first time, so it's going to be a blast to see a Sox game next year!!! :bandance:

CHI_SOX_4_LIFE
01-04-2005, 12:44 PM
well when little my family wasnt really into baseball, so like a lot of little kids i was a fan of the cubs. but when i started growing and learned more about the game in the early 90s it wasnt hard for me to see that the team i wanted to root for was the sox. i also became a cardinals fan since my mom is from st. louis, so that helped my decision to become a sox fan and a flub hater. :bandance:

chuckn98229
01-04-2005, 12:55 PM
I became a Sox fan as part of the sanctifying grace package I received from the Holy Spirit at baptism when I was just a few days old!

starboy0
01-04-2005, 03:03 PM
It was 1960 for me. My grandma gave me a pack of baseball cards with Minnie Minoso, Jim Landis, Nellie Fox, Louie Aparacio, etc. Like a little duck imprinting on its mother, I imprinted on those cards and have been a sox fan ever since even with my grandpa trying to convert me to the Cubs. He had been a huge sox fan until the 1919 scandal which broke his heart and so switched sides.

Bisco Stu
01-05-2005, 01:53 AM
1976, year I became a baseball fan on the North side & realized that the Cubs were just too wimpy to root for.

ChiWhiteSox1337
01-05-2005, 02:04 AM
Been a fan my entire life. I was born in 1988 and still have photos from old comiskey park with me in them. I also still have my Einhorn E cap along with the Einhorn E plastic helmet. We still also have our 4 ticket stubs along with certificates from the last game at old comiskey. I wish I could actually remember some of the stuff though about the old park.... :whiner:

Pete Ward
01-05-2005, 07:42 AM

Dad took me to see Whitey Ford vs Gary Peters... Hated Yanks vs Sox

8 years old and I was in AWE .... Mantle hits a HR in 9th to win it for the Yanks 3-2.

Great memory :wink:

seahawk037
01-05-2005, 02:41 PM
I'm the new guy here (1st post) and I became a Sox fan about 3 years ago, right after the Iced Earth show at the Metro. After growing up a fantical Scrub fan, I finally saw the light. My buddy wasn't really into the show so he kept on yapping about how good the Sox were going to be and although I was a Cub fan, he noted that I still followed the Sox for argumentative purposes. Nonetheless, a revelation (or a fart :D: in the direction of Wrigley) hit me, right there on Clark Street waiting for a cab, and I saw the light.

My folks did point out that the Sox were the only team I watched as a little kid on TV44. I only recall watching Chet Lemon as well as Harry waving the net around outside of the booth. I remember sitting there watching, but had no idea what was going on. I suppose that means that I was sorta kinda originally a Sox fan.

Now the dilemma... am I allowed to get Fisk put on my jersey, considering that I wasn't a fan at the time. Fellow Sox fans say no and I agree for the most part. I'm seriously considering Rowand otherwise.

eshunn2001
01-05-2005, 03:00 PM
I'm the new guy here (1st post) and I became a Sox fan about 3 years ago, right after the Iced Earth show at the Metro. After growing up a fantical Scrub fan, I finally saw the light. My buddy wasn't really into the show so he kept on yapping about how good the Sox were going to be and although I was a Cub fan, he noted that I still followed the Sox for argumentative purposes. Nonetheless, a revelation (or a fart :D: in the direction of Wrigley) hit me, right there on Clark Street waiting for a cab, and I saw the light.

My folks did point out that the Sox were the only team I watched as a little kid on TV44. I only recall watching Chet Lemon as well as Harry waving the net around outside of the booth. I remember sitting there watching, but had no idea what was going on. I suppose that means that I was sorta kinda originally a Sox fan.

Now the dilemma... am I allowed to get Fisk put on my jersey, considering that I wasn't a fan at the time. Fellow Sox fans say no and I agree for the most part. I'm seriously considering Rowand otherwise.
You have seen the light. But it is a tough call. I will give an OK. But only if you promise to give me the jersey if the "darkside" ever takes you over again.

CHIsoxNation
01-05-2005, 06:33 PM
I guess I could also say I was born into it as well, but I guess it wouldn't have been that big of a deal if I turned out to be a Cubs fan. My grandfather is a die-hard WhiteSox fan and took me to games when I was very little. I think I became a true Sox fan when I had the opportunity to play tee-ball on the field of Comiskey. It was a great experience and I had the chance to meet some of the players. Oh yah, I was also a fan of the colors grey and black, so I guess that had a little to do with it too. :D:

Mingo
01-05-2005, 08:49 PM
1959 when I was a 2nd grader and for obvious reasons. I grew up in Denver so I have only been to one Sox game. It was the game Bo Jackson came back from his hip replacement and hit a homerun in 1991 or 1992 against the Rangers - I think.

Nice to have stumbled onto this board.

I'm excited - at least with the prospect - of getting back to the go-go Sox kind of team persona.

DeuceUnit
01-05-2005, 09:06 PM
I've been a Sox fan since the day I was born. My dad worked for Mack Trucks which is now a parking lot since they tore down old Comiskey. I remember getting calls from my dad when he was at work to tell me the fireworks were going off after a homerun. I was lucky enough to go to many games at the old park. I'll always remember staying extra late in a rain delayed double header to see Nolan Ryan pitch. My Grandma listened to or watched every Sox game for the last 30 years of her life. You could say the Sox are definitely in my blood. Oh yea...first post :D:

NonetheLoaiza
01-05-2005, 09:08 PM
I've been a Sox fan my whole life, but really got into watching them the 93 season. I remember when I was little, my dad gave me some baseball cards for my birthday, and there was a Steve Buechele card in there or something, and my dad said, 'Oh, thats a worthless card.' So, it was natural that I started liking the Sox. My dad says he stopped being a Cubs fan in 1969 after the postseason collapse. He hates them now.

DannyCaterFan
01-06-2005, 03:35 PM
I went to my first Sox game and became a fan opening day of 1960. What timing! That means I missed their last World Series by 6 months. Just my luck. Anyway, this will be season number 46 and I am still waiting to celebrate with all the other Sox fans when we win an American League championship or World Series. I sure hope this happens in my lifetime.
I can clearly remember what it was like to walk into old Comiskey Park for the first time after only seeing them on black and white TV before that. I was in awe of all the colors, etc. I have had a love affair for the Sox ever since and I am a season ticket holder today.

Frater Perdurabo
01-06-2005, 03:38 PM
I became a Sox fan when I saw Wilson Alvarez throw a no-no on WGN.

I remember that game. My friend and I watched the first inning and then left to get a sandwich. We remarked "wouldn't it be funny if he got a no-hitter in his first MLB start." We came back during the fifth inning, surprised that the no-no was intact and watched the rest of the game. We really were impressed with a great catch by Warren Newson and Ron Karkovice intentionally making an error on a bunt to preserve the no-hitter late in the game.

Frater Perdurabo
01-06-2005, 03:39 PM
I became a Sox fan when I moved to the Chicago area in August 1983. Just in time for the Winnin' Ugly campaign.