PDA

View Full Version : What about El Duque in the 5th starter spot?

The_Cheesiest_Idiot
01-01-2005, 08:00 PM
in my opinion it's probably the best chance to keep him healthy for the whole season. not having to pitch alot when it's cold early in the year. even though he's probably our 3rd best pitcher. i know many of you guys want garland in the fifth spot. but honestly does it really matter the exact spot they pitch in? i don't believe so. it'll give garland a couple more starts but might be a great benefit to the team in the long run. any thoughts?

HomeFish
01-01-2005, 08:23 PM
A healthy el duque can always be moved up in the rotation if the Sox are still in contention near the end of the season. An overworked and injured el duque cannot be.

johnny_mostil
01-01-2005, 08:41 PM
in my opinion it's probably the best chance to keep him healthy for the whole season. not having to pitch alot when it's cold early in the year. even though he's probably our 3rd best pitcher. i know many of you guys want garland in the fifth spot. but honestly does it really matter the exact spot they pitch in? i don't believe so. it'll give garland a couple more starts but might be a great benefit to the team in the long run. any thoughts?
Pitchers don't really pitch strict 1-2-3-4-5... it's more of a mental way of keeping track of things. The pecking order more or less works its way out in spring training.

I think we can assume Buerhle gets the ball on April 4th against Cleveland. But does Garcia get the ball on the 6th, or does Ozzie structure his rotation so Garcia starts the Twin home opener on the 8th? In that case, the rotation might open up Buehrle, off day, Contreras, Garland; Garcia, Buehrle, Duque; Contreras, off day, Garcia, Buerhle... so that Ozzie can have his 1, 2, and 3 starters against the Twinkies. That doesn't make Contreras the 2nd starter and Garland the 3rd, although it looks that way at first. (This would make sense from the perspecitive of keeping Garland from pitching on consecutive days with Buerhle).

Why would you do this? To keep Garland away from the Twins, who have killed him; to spot Contreras against the Tribe, who Contreras utterly dominated last year; to make sure Garcia pitches against the Twins... of course, the Twins hit El Duque last year, but it was at the end of the year...

Is Guillen devious enough to do this kind of thing at the start of the season? Sure, Ozzie hates LOSING more than anything else (i.e., he's not Jerry Manuel, who still makes me :angry: )

johnny_mostil
01-01-2005, 08:43 PM
A healthy el duque can always be moved up in the rotation if the Sox are still in contention near the end of the season. An overworked and injured el duque cannot be.
Don't you play that by ear as the season progresses? After all, he's going to get about 3 more starts against the Royals and 3 less against the Red Sox, that's going to save a lot of wear and tear right ther.