PDA

View Full Version : Monster Year

eastchicagosoxfan
01-01-2005, 06:28 PM
If the Sox get a monster year out of someone, which player would benefit the team most by having it? I think if Shingo has an unbelievable year, the Sox are playing more than 162 gams this year. Or, remember back in 1993, and Radinsky went 9-2. If Marte has that type of year, the Sox will go far. I know that's not a monster year, but under the right circumstances, a team could go far with those nine victories. What are some other opinions?

soltrain21
01-01-2005, 06:31 PM
If Scott Po has a huge year then it will benefit the team greatly.

I would be happy with a few monster years, though.

soxfan43
01-01-2005, 06:52 PM

i agree, he's the key to the team, hopefully he can handle the pressure of replacing a fan favorite. as far as monster yaers, I think it's Crede's turn.

sircaffey1
01-01-2005, 06:54 PM
I think it has to be Contreras. We pretty much know what we are getting from Buehrle, Garcia, and Garland. If Contreras has a monster year and finally figures out his potential to the tune of 200 IP 17-9 3.75 ERA 180K we will be playing the playoffs without a doubt.

broker3d
01-01-2005, 06:58 PM
Pods

SoxFan76
01-01-2005, 07:08 PM
Podsednik and Rowand. Remember Willie and Uribe when they were tearing it up at the top of the order? The Sox were scoring 12 runs a game. If those two guys (Pods and Aaron) can produce at the top of the order, it could be a good year.

johnny_mostil
01-01-2005, 07:43 PM

El Duque. If he wins the Cy Young Award, it would sure help a lot.

Grayven the Dope
01-01-2005, 08:02 PM
I just want everyone to take a step back and look at what KW has done with this team. This team has been built with the idea that it will play baseball as a team, much like the twins, its not based on one player having a monster year, its based on everyone contributing. If Pods has a great year but we have no one to knock him in what good does it do? This team is going to need to play as a team in order to benifit from anyone having a monster year.

johnny_mostil
01-01-2005, 08:13 PM
I just want everyone to take a step back and look at what KW has done with this team. This team has been built with the idea that it will play baseball as a team, much like the twins, its not based on one player having a monster year, its based on everyone contributing.
Well, sort of. The team really hasn't changed that much. Despite the insinuations, the team overhaul is pretty limited. It isn't a speed-based team by any stretch but is is a little more balanced and the pitching is significantly deeper.

soltrain21
01-01-2005, 08:19 PM
Well I kind of agree with you, Grayven, we have to remember a monster year will still help the team.

WhiteSoxNation
01-01-2005, 08:24 PM
I think Harris and Davis(unless we get AJ) would benifit us the most becuz the other 7 hitters will put up consistant numbers

Uribe- .280/25/75
Crede- .250/30/70 HOPEFULLY
Thomas- .285/35/90
Konerko- .300/40/120
Pods-.290/10/50
Rowand- .300/25/80
Dye- .280/25/75

johnny_mostil
01-01-2005, 08:31 PM
I think Harris and Davis(unless we get AJ) would benifit us the most becuz the other 7 hitters will put up consistant numbers

Uribe- .280/25/75
Crede- .250/30/70 HOPEFULLY
Thomas- .285/35/90
Konerko- .300/40/120
Pods-.290/10/50
Rowand- .300/25/80
Dye- .280/25/75
Those RBI totals are very low for that context of offense unless you expect the 2B and C to hit .200.

Mohoney
01-01-2005, 08:40 PM
I think Jermaine Dye will have a great year and drive in over 100 runs.

munchman33
01-01-2005, 08:56 PM
Frank. It's so important that he does. His upside is so much more than any other hitter than we have. When he's on, he's the only guy in our lineup that truly strikes fear into pitchers.

RKMeibalane
01-01-2005, 09:03 PM
Frank. It's so important that he does. His upside is so much more than any other hitter than we have. When he's on, he's the only guy in our lineup that truly strikes fear into pitchers.
I agree. Looking at the offense as a whole, I think much will depend on whether Podsednick, Harris, and Crede are productive. Having said that, Podsednick's presence on the basepaths won't mean anything without someone in the middle of the lineup to drive him in. Frank has to be the guy. Konerko is a good run-producer, as well, but he can't be expected to do everything by himself.

Perhaps more than any other season, the Sox entire team needs to step up. I've noticed over the past few seasons that there has always been at least one player on the team who wasn't pulling his weight (Crede, Koch, Royce Clayton, etc.). When things like this happen, the entire team suffers. Every player on the roster needs to have a good season for the Sox to contend.

But, to tie this in with my original point, it all begins with Frank Thomas.

Harris=God
01-01-2005, 09:05 PM
I think it will be and needs to be the bullpen

veeter
01-01-2005, 11:23 PM
Two words: BIG FRANK
When and if the Sox either win it all or at least go far I want Frank to take center stage. I want all his detractors to bow down and kiss his Hall of Fame butt.

konerko1413
01-02-2005, 12:23 AM
i think if garland has the moster year, then we go to the playoffs, any team whose 5th starter wins 18+ games is goin to the playoffs, but we would also benefit from thomas bein back in the lineup

Whitesox029
01-02-2005, 01:09 AM
I can only pick one? Hm......I would say Harris, since there will be virtually no one to back him up. If he can hit .280 and take some basestealing lessons from Pods, we'll be set. Pods will steal whether he hits or not, so I'm not worried so much about that.
If I had a second pick I'd say Frank. Getting a big year out of the big man would be...welll...big. Guys are gonna be looking up to him as usual as the 15-year Sox veteran. If he's not a clubhouse leader, Konerko will be.

batmanZoSo
01-02-2005, 01:23 AM
I just want everyone to take a step back and look at what KW has done with this team. This team has been built with the idea that it will play baseball as a team, much like the twins, its not based on one player having a monster year, its based on everyone contributing. If Pods has a great year but we have no one to knock him in what good does it do? This team is going to need to play as a team in order to benifit from anyone having a monster year.
Agreed. Any monster years will be gravy. What we need are no enigmatic, do-nothing garbage years out of people like Crede and so many others in the past. We need everyone to stay healthy, hustle, not play selfish, be consistent, be smart, and be clutch.

StillMissOzzie
01-02-2005, 02:04 AM
Doesn't really address your thread, but with Konerko in a salary drive year, I'm looking for him to have a monster year. Of course, that means he will want crazy money (Glaus?) to stay, and I don't think KW/JR will pay what it will take to keep him.

SMO
:(:

eastchicagosoxfan
01-02-2005, 06:31 AM
I just want everyone to take a step back and look at what KW has done with this team. This team has been built with the idea that it will play baseball as a team, much like the twins, its not based on one player having a monster year, its based on everyone contributing. If Pods has a great year but we have no one to knock him in what good does it do? This team is going to need to play as a team in order to benifit from anyone having a monster year.I agree that the team has to be, well, a better team, ie, no I in team. That said, to go to the next level, someone has to stand out, and put up numbers that are well above his career averages. For example, does anyone expect Santana of the Twins to repeat his season? In the Sox 1993 season, Jason Bere had a great year. Maybe monster year wasn't the term I should have used. Who surprises everyone, by having, well, a bit of a fluke, although only time will reveal the season as such. If Shingo saves 40, and the pen holds leads, and someone in the pen has 10 wins too, that guy ( Marte? ) would have my monster year.

Hangar18
01-04-2005, 12:16 PM
Carlos Lee is going to have a Monster Year .... mostly because he
will FEAST on bogus National League Pitching ...... and when Jermaine Dye
starts getting Platooned in RF, and the columns and radio shows begin
to talk about the LACK of Sox Offense .......:smile:

Baby Fisk
01-04-2005, 12:38 PM
Bullpen. Too many games went from being "close" to being "debacles" in the space of one late inning last year. If the middle relievers can keep games close, then Ozzieball/Kennyball/Whateverball can do its thing.